Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • icontinuetodream
    • By icontinuetodream 25th Oct 11, 9:27 PM
    • 985Posts
    • 6,606Thanks
    icontinuetodream
    Vegan Store Cupboard Challenge
    • 25th Oct 11, 9:27 PM
    Vegan Store Cupboard Challenge 25th Oct 11 at 9:27 PM
    I hope no-one minds but I decided to start this new thread as the store cupboard challenge seems quite weighted to the omnivore diet.....

I have decided to stock my cupboards and want to make this last for as long as possible with as many different vegan meals as possible....I am hoping not to have to buy anything other than soya milk, fresh fruit and veg for the next six months!!

I am starting on 1st November 2011 and will post here at least once a week to show what I have cooked!!

Would love to have others along for the ride.....feel free to suggest, join in or question!!!

So, here is my current store cupboard list.....I have left some things off as I am looking at my recent purchases and haven't added things that I already had....I will add them later....once I have counted them....

TINS

CHICKPEAS - 12 X 400G
    SWEET CORN - 12 X 326G
    TOMATOES- CHOPPED - 12 X 400G
    TOMATO PUREE - 12 X 200G
    COCONUT MILK - 6 X 400ML
    Water Chestnuts
    Sliced Carrots in Water
    Marrowfat Processed Peas
    Stuffed vine leaves
    Bamboo Shoots
    Pease Pudding
    Bombay Potato
    Chick Pea Dahl
    Mixed Beans

DRIED BEANS

BLACK BEANS 1KG
    CANNELLINI BEANS 3KG
    CHICK PEAS 3KG
    DARK SPECKLED LENTILS 3KG
    RED LENTILS 3KG
    RED KIDNEY BEANS 3KG - 3 KG

GRAINS & PASTA ETC

PORRIDGE OATS 10KG
    POLENTA 5KG
    COUSCOUS 3KG
    QUINOA 1K
    WHITE BASMATI RICE - 20 KG
    WILD RICE - 6 X 125G
    SHORT GRAIN RICE 3KG
    WHOLEWHEAT NOODLES - 8 X 300G
    WHITE MACARONI - 12 X 500G
    WHOLEWHEAT SHELLS - 12 X 500G

DRIED FRUIT,SEEDS & NUTS

APRICOTS 1KG - 1 KG
    CRANBERRIES 1KG - 1 KG
    CURRANTS 1KG - 1 KG
    DATES - 1 KG
    FIGS 1 KG - 1 KG
    PAPAYA 1KG - 1 KG
    RAISINS 1KG - 1 KG
    ALMONDS 1KG - 1 KG
    BRAZILS 1KG - 1 KG
    WHOLE CASHEWS - 1 KG
    HAZELNUTS 1KG - 1 KG
    HEMP SEEDS 1KG - 1 KG
    GOLDEN LINSEED 1KG - 1 KG
    PUMPKIN SEEDS 1KG - 1 KG
    SUNFLOWER SEEDS 1KG - 1 KG

SUNDRIES
    MARIGOLD VEGAN L/S BOUILLON - 1 KG
    CHEEZLY MOZZARELLA BLOCK - 6 X 190G
    PASTA FLOUR - 5 X 1KG
    WHITE SPELT FLOUR - 5 X 1KG
    Organic Flour Plain
    Organic Flour Self Raising
    CHERRIES & BERRIES SPREAD - 6 X 284G
    Red Wine Vinegar
    Cider Vinegar
    Canadian Maple Syrup
    Redcurrant Jelly
    Peanut butter - smooth
    Wheat Bisks
    Cranberry Sauce
    Mint Sauce
    Ginger Preserve
    Brown Sauce
    Sliced Beetroot
    Sweet Pickled Onions
    Olives Garlic Stuffed
    Baby Beetroot
    Sweet Piquante Peppers
    Black Pitted Olives
    Vegetable Oil
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Stand & Stuff Tacos
    Nacho Dinner Kit
    Silken Tofu Firm
    Longlife Soya Cream Single
    Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe Mix
    Gravy Granules

DRIED HERBS
    Somaq
    Basil
    Oregano
    Mint
    Thyme
    Mustard Seeds
    Sage
    Whole Cumin
    Ground Coriander
    White Wine Vinegar
    Smoked Paprika
    Dried Mixed Herbs
    Ground Cinnamon
    Ground Turmeric
    Ground Cumin

FROZEN
    Crinkle Cut Oven Chips
    Okra - sliced rings
    Oriental Vegetable Stir Fry
    Freshly Frozen Baby Carrots
    Parsnips
    Peas
    Rustic Mini Roasting Potatoes
    Field Fresh Country Mix
    Hash Browns
    Button Sprouts with Chestnuts & Red Onion

FRESH FRUIT,VEG & HERBS

Growing Coriander
    Growing Flat Leaf Parsley
    Growing Basil
    Growing Parsley
    Celery
    Ginger
    Courgettes
    Leeks
    Chillies Mixed
    Sweet Potatoes
    Cabbage Savoy
    Spring Onions Jumbo
    Cauliflower
    Garlic
    Cabbage Red
    Onions
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Avocado Baby
    Oranges
    Tomatoes
    Potatoes
    Lemons
    Kiwi Fruit
    Banana
    Melon Galia
    Melon Cantaloupe
    Pomegranate

I am really looking forward to this...maybe it will keep me motivated!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 9:04 AM.
Page 13
    • cod3
    • By cod3 28th Oct 18, 9:16 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 2,071 Thanks
    cod3
    DD has made gallons of parsnip and lentil soup. I've collected many windfall apples from the garden for making oaty crumble. So the meal plan for the forseeable is soup and pudding! It's perfect weather for it. A cheap week ahead as we only need to buy plant milks and kitty food.

Have a tasty week, lovely vegan folk
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 29th Oct 18, 3:20 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,673 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Sounds lovely cod3!

Not a lot of cooking going on here at the moment - lots of building work happening so access to cupboards/fridge/freezer/cooker extremely limited!!

Thankfully, not a lot in the fresh food department in the house either so at least there will be little to no waste....trouble is, I've got a real craving for some Ethiopian lentils so I may have to see if I can shift some of the building stuff to get to the cooker! Why is it that I rarely crave stuff until I'm in a situation which means it's either difficult or impossible!!
    15 Month Challenge: House - 13585.85/25300; Mortgage - 1160/17000 ;
    MFW No. 167
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 1st Nov 18, 8:44 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,673 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Couldn't resist anymore....made the lentils! also made a spiced aubergine, potato, parsnip, green pepper and tomato thing to use up the odds and ends in the fridge...it's lush and goes really well with the lentils too!! pretty sure that i won't need to do anymore cooking for a couple of days as I may have overdone the amounts Thankfully it's all freezable if I need to
    MFW No. 167
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 3rd Nov 18, 1:12 PM
    • 2,003 Posts
    • 13,535 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I really need to get back on track with keeping a good stock cupboard and going back to a spending plan for food!

I just checked and I only have a tin of black beans and two tins of baked beans! No basics like tinned tomatoes or passata either.

I do have lots of dried pasta and rice and lentils in there but I need to have a proper cupboard.

I did just batch cook some red lentil soup as lunches for the next few days.
    GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO DON'T WAIT
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 3rd Nov 18, 5:15 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,673 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    No tinned tomatoes Wednesday2000???!! I'd be having palpatations! Well done on the batch cooking of the soup though...sounds lovely!

I've just discovered that the food budget for this month has already been decimated by 80 and unfortunately, no receipts were kept by dh so I have no idea on where most of it has gone (although he bought a Chinese and an Indian this week for him and the kids due to the ongoing building works - I was planning on taking that out of the house fund budget but have decided that I'm not going to, it's better to have less in the food budget to dissuade him from shopping for anymore crap ) It is frustrating but I can't worry about it now - I'll just put it down to experience and move on

It does mean that I can't do a Suma order this month so we are going to have to just make do with what we have.

Still eating the lentils and 'potatotouille' as we have named it! They should be finished tonight though....
    Tomorrow I shall make some seitan. I still have an aubergine, potatoes and some broccoli in the fridge so will have aubergine stacks (sliced chargrilled aubergine with pesto, crushed black olives and vegan feta) and serve with a tartiflette (sliced potatoes, diced seitan, onions, vegan cream and Dijon mustard) and broccoli I will use the rest of the seitan over the next few days in a variety of ways - not sure how yet as will get dh to go to the market and see what veg is available on Monday
    MFW No. 167
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 4th Nov 18, 12:51 PM
    • 2,003 Posts
    • 13,535 Thanks
    Wednesday2000

Tomorrow I shall make some seitan. I still have an aubergine, potatoes and some broccoli in the fridge so will have aubergine stacks (sliced chargrilled aubergine with pesto, crushed black olives and vegan feta) and serve with a tartiflette (sliced potatoes, diced seitan, onions, vegan cream and Dijon mustard) and broccoli I will use the rest of the seitan over the next few days in a variety of ways - not sure how yet as will get dh to go to the market and see what veg is available on Monday
    Originally posted by squirrelgirl
    I've never tried making seitan from scratch. The tartiflette sounds lovely!
    GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO DON'T WAIT
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 4th Nov 18, 1:56 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,673 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    It's really easy Wednesday....it takes a while to cook it but considering the price difference, it's definitely worth the effort!

I have tried a variety of different combinations of herbs, flavourings etc I frequently just chuck in whatever I think quantity wise but below is the basic recipe I started on.... (just in case you want the recipe!)

7oz wheat gluten; 0.25 cup chickpea flour; 2tbs nutritional yeast; 2tbs mixed herbs; 2tsp 'chicken' stock powder; 1tsp onion powder; 1tsp paprika; 1tsp garlic powder; 1tbs olive oil; 1tbs tomato paste; 1 cup veg or 'chicken' stock. For the broth - veg or 'chicken' stock

Mix all the dry ingredients, whisk together the wet ingredients and add to the dry, mixing until combined. Knead the dough for minute then leave it to sit for 5 mins. Bring the broth to a boil then lower to simmer - (if you want to cut the seitan in half or shape into balls etc this is the time to do it) add the seitan. Simmer for 45-55 mins (slightly less if the seitan has been shaped into balls) turning every so often. Once cooked, let it sit for about 10 mins and then serve.

In all honesty, I've cooked it in a variety of ways too - including doing it in the breadmaker! However, I think it may have killed my breadmaker so now simmering in stock, steaming and baking (sometimes a combo of all 3 ) is what I stick to, but it really does depend on the texture you prefer etc so it's worth playing around with until you get exactly what you want

ETA - it does expand a bit, so make sure you use a big saucepan!!!
    MFW No. 167
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 6th Nov 18, 6:08 PM
    • 5,626 Posts
    • 41,637 Thanks
    joedenise
    Have made a squash & chickpea curry for dinner tonight. Cooked in SC - should be enough to put another 2 meals in the freezer for DH and I. Having it with brown rice.

Denise
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 9th Nov 18, 1:51 AM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 17,402 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    It's really easy Wednesday....it takes a while to cook it but considering the price difference, it's definitely worth the effort!

I have tried a variety of different combinations of herbs, flavourings etc I frequently just chuck in whatever I think quantity wise but below is the basic recipe I started on.... (just in case you want the recipe!)

7oz wheat gluten; 0.25 cup chickpea flour; 2tbs nutritional yeast; 2tbs mixed herbs; 2tsp 'chicken' stock powder; 1tsp onion powder; 1tsp paprika; 1tsp garlic powder; 1tbs olive oil; 1tbs tomato paste; 1 cup veg or 'chicken' stock. For the broth - veg or 'chicken' stock

Mix all the dry ingredients, whisk together the wet ingredients and add to the dry, mixing until combined. Knead the dough for minute then leave it to sit for 5 mins. Bring the broth to a boil then lower to simmer - (if you want to cut the seitan in half or shape into balls etc this is the time to do it) add the seitan. Simmer for 45-55 mins (slightly less if the seitan has been shaped into balls) turning every so often. Once cooked, let it sit for about 10 mins and then serve.

In all honesty, I've cooked it in a variety of ways too - including doing it in the breadmaker! However, I think it may have killed my breadmaker so now simmering in stock, steaming and baking (sometimes a combo of all 3 ) is what I stick to, but it really does depend on the texture you prefer etc so it's worth playing around with until you get exactly what you want

ETA - it does expand a bit, so make sure you use a big saucepan!!!
    Mine always comes out salty. I follow the shredded chikun recipe by Skye Michael Conroy, which requires miso paste. I've tried a variety of herbs and still tastes the same. Could it be the miso? Might try your recipe above instead.
    I had to stop making it for a while as all my vital wheat gluten flour went mouldy and had to be binned. (I rent and the kitchen is extended onto part of the yard and I don't think it has been weatherproofed properly,as it happens in several cupboards). Then I had a possible wheat intolerance, so didn't know if I could eat it again. However, that has come back negative and only now seems to be happening occasionally with bread (so something else may have caused it).
    Where is the cheapest place to source vwg flour and dried chickpeas? I don't drive, so would have to be online.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by K9sandFelines; 09-11-2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Typos ... always typos!
    GC 2017 (3,434.09/4,000) Jan 264.28, Feb 179.18, Mar 290.38, Apr 182.39, May 210.24 Jun 122.33, Jul 149.45, Aug 199.22/220 Sep 211.46/210 OCT 227.94/220 Nov 124.60/230 [(2,037.42/3,250 p.a)

~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • Moguline
    • By Moguline 9th Nov 18, 10:50 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Moguline
    Hello everyone, I've been off course recently but back in the game now and want to make use of my store cupboard a lot more.
    I've had a huge clearout and re-organised everything in there so I'm ready to go haha.
    Tonight though, we're going out for a meal as it's our wedding anniversary.
    I am hoping to do a bit of batch cooking over the weekend though.
    LBM: Christmas 2017 Current debt, as of 01/11/2018: 22,079.76 Total reduction so far: -4,854.54 DFD of my dreams: 31/12/2020
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 9th Nov 18, 5:08 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,673 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    K9's - it probably is the miso that makes it salty - some recipes add soy sauce/tamari too which all seems a bit excessive to me the recipe that i posted doesn't taste salty at all to me but of course we all have different tastebuds so if you do make it i hope its okay! Can't help with the cheapest places to buy the flour and chickpeas as i get all mine from suma...hopefully someone can point you in the right direction

Happy anniversary moguline! hope you have a lovely evening
    MFW No. 167
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 10th Nov 18, 7:54 AM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 17,402 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    K9's - it probably is the miso that makes it salty - some recipes add soy sauce/tamari too which all seems a bit excessive to me the recipe that i posted doesn't taste salty at all to me but of course we all have different tastebuds so if you do make it i hope its okay! Can't help with the cheapest places to buy the flour and chickpeas as i get all mine from suma...hopefully someone can point you in the right direction

Happy anniversary moguline! hope you have a lovely evening
    I have made it again from your recipe and it's not salty enough this time , and I used aromatica that I had already mixed instead of mixed herbs as they are similar.i I think it will be okay if it is chucked in sauce. Experimentation is key! I've done something wrongalong the way (possibly overkneading it) though as the first batch was tough as old boots. I steamed the second one for less time and that was slightly better. Hopefully cooking in a sauce will soften them up somewhat.
    GC 2017 (3,434.09/4,000) Jan 264.28, Feb 179.18, Mar 290.38, Apr 182.39, May 210.24 Jun 122.33, Jul 149.45, Aug 199.22/220 Sep 211.46/210 OCT 227.94/220 Nov 124.60/230 [(2,037.42/3,250 p.a)

~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • cod3
    • By cod3 11th Nov 18, 6:59 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 2,071 Thanks
    cod3
    When life gives you limes...make lime hummus This is what I made today in the absence of lemons and very nice it is too.

No means to get to the shops this weekend so I have been eating out of the cupboards and cobbled together a very tasty Sunday dinner which should last for a couple of days - black bean chilli, bulgur wheat/quinoa and lime hummus. I also found 3 bags of cherries in the freezer so will be having cherry chia puddings made with almond milk for work lunches this week. Hoping it is tastes like Bakewell tart!

Spent loads on DD's graduation dinner last week so am due a frugal food week to make up for it
    Last edited by cod3; 11-11-2018 at 7:02 PM. Reason: spelling autocorrect
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Nov 18, 7:05 PM
    • 5,626 Posts
    • 41,637 Thanks
    joedenise
    Never heard of lime hummus! I've made it with red pepper and sweet potato but never lime (or lemon) come to that, other than as part of a standard hummus.

Denise
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 19th Nov 18, 3:42 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,673 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Ended up in as*a on friday with a friend...managed to pick up a sack of onions reduced to 1.12 now the pround owner of 4 large jars of onion jam...nomnom
    MFW No. 167
    • SuperPikachu
    • By SuperPikachu 19th Nov 18, 4:17 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    SuperPikachu
    Have made a squash & chickpea curry for dinner tonight. Cooked in SC - should be enough to put another 2 meals in the freezer for DH and I. Having it with brown rice.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Do you have a recipe for this at all Denise?
    "Wild Pikachu appeared!"
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 19th Nov 18, 4:27 PM
    • 5,626 Posts
    • 41,637 Thanks
    joedenise
    I don't really use a recipe as such! I soften the onions a bit in a pan and then add my own curry powder mix but you can use a commercial one. Once the spices are cooked off I chuck the spicy onions, and squash along with some stock into the SC and cook on Low for about 6 hours and then add the drained chickpeas and cook for another couple of hours. Cook some rice to serve with it and warm through some naan if wanted.

Denise
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,175Posts Today

7,192Users online

Martin's Twitter