Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vixtress
    • By vixtress 17th Jan 07, 9:09 PM
    • 1,148Posts
    • 4,012Thanks
    vixtress
    what to do with smoked mackerel
    • 17th Jan 07, 9:09 PM
    what to do with smoked mackerel 17th Jan 07 at 9:09 PM
    i got home from shopping today to realise that my 2 year old have managed to put 2 packs of smoked mackerel in my shopping trolley! goodness knows how i didnt see it!!
    now i wouldnt have bought it but i dont mind it,what can i do with it other than eat it with bread & butter?

thanks
    vix & a 2 year old with strange tastes!!
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge 150 136/150
Page 1
    • ziggy2004
    • By ziggy2004 17th Jan 07, 9:13 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    ziggy2004
    • 17th Jan 07, 9:13 PM
    • 17th Jan 07, 9:13 PM
    my 2 year old had some smoked mackerel on oatcakes as a snack this afternoon he thinks it is yummie

I make mackerel pancakes : wholemeal pancakes filled with a mixture of cheese, cream and smoked mackerel served with brocoli very yummie if you like mackerel ( and at least it is in season atm so likely to be fresh rather then frozen from last year)

X Anne
    • vixtress
    • By vixtress 17th Jan 07, 9:16 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    vixtress
    • 17th Jan 07, 9:16 PM
    • 17th Jan 07, 9:16 PM
    that sounds nice, do you do it inna cheese sauce?
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge 150 136/150
    • ziggy2004
    • By ziggy2004 17th Jan 07, 9:20 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    ziggy2004
    • 17th Jan 07, 9:20 PM
    • 17th Jan 07, 9:20 PM
    nope just grated cheese and a tiny bit of cream just enough to make it nice and sticky with the mackerel you can also grate cheese over the rolled up pancakes and put ot in the oven for a bit

It was something that i saw in my wholefood cookbook but the original recipe calles for smoked haddock as the mackerel is a lot cheaper I used that.

X Anne
  • Jay-Jay
    • 17th Jan 07, 9:23 PM
    • 17th Jan 07, 9:23 PM
    Mash a pack with a tub of Philidalphia (or cream cheese) and a good squeeze of lemon to make a REALLY nice pate.

Toast a slice of bread then cut the crusts off and run your breadknife through the thickness of the bread then pop the untoasted sides under the grill until they toast and curl.

Butter the Melba Toast (cos that's what you just made ) and dollop some mackerel pate on...

Invite me!!!
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• exlibris
    • 17th Jan 07, 9:26 PM
    I zap it in the micro for about 2mins. If you wrap it in kitchen paper first it absorbs the excess oil, though this is good for you. I then serve it with veg.
  • exlibris
    OOps sorry. Don't know how I duplicated this post.
    Last edited by exlibris; 18-01-2007 at 12:37 PM.
  • coffeeandfags
    • 17th Jan 07, 9:30 PM
    • 17th Jan 07, 9:30 PM
    How about fishcakes made with cheesy potatoes and the smoked mackrel

OR
    Cullen Skink (a Scottish soup)

Shove the mackrel in a pan of milk to poach, just long enough to remove the skin, then use the milk as your stock along with potatoes, a bit of onion, a bit of butter and the fish. The soup should be quite thick, so a lot of potatoes!...sorry i dont do exact quantities....just bung it in lol
    I know it sounds yuck, but its really nice!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 17th Jan 07, 9:32 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 17th Jan 07, 9:32 PM
    • 17th Jan 07, 9:32 PM
    Chowder. It's great in one.

Just google for chowder recipes and substitute your mackerel into any sea food one.

And if you have a slow cooker - better still.

Seriously yummy.

Edit: One of the early results for chowder + recipe came up as this one, and it looks good:-

http://www2.skegnesstoday.co.uk/sites/cyberfood/fish2.html
    Last edited by squeaky; 17-01-2007 at 9:36 PM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • angelavdavis
    • By angelavdavis 17th Jan 07, 9:37 PM
    • 4,705 Posts
    • 7,325 Thanks
    angelavdavis
    Smoked Mackerel makes a fabulous pat! - I mean really good!!!!

2 smoked mackerel, skinned and boned
    275g Ricotta Cheese
    juice of half a lemon, or more
    grated nutmeg
    black pepper and salt
    pinch of cayenne
    2 lemons cut into wedges

Method
    1. Liquidise all the ingredients. Season to taste with pepper, nutmeg and salt.
    2. Put into individual dishes or one large one. Cover with clingfilm and chill for two hours
    3. Sprinkle with a little cayenne and serve with lemon wedges.
    Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!
  • cordial
    Pretend kedgeree?

Chop it up and mix with boiled rice, quartered hard-boiled eggs, parsley and lemon juice. Other things can be added according to taste - ears of sweetcorn, chopped peppers.

Serve hot, of course.
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 17th Jan 07, 9:43 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    Stick it on a buttie with some horseradish sauce, I had it for lunch yesterday mmmm oily fish is good for you.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
    • JillD
    • By JillD 17th Jan 07, 10:24 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 26,385 Thanks
    JillD
    I have it just as it is with salad, orese I break it up into some cold cooked pasta as pasta salad with anything like sweetcorn, pepper, tomato, cucumber and some mayo. I take it work for lunch its yum!
    Jan GC: 202.65/450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: 0/0lbs

• EthelBloggs
    I've got some mackerel in the fridge and it tastes kind of bitter.. aside from the smoked flavour.. is it sposed to be like that?
    ☆ gr cT pn ☆
    Murphys no more pies club Member #41
    12 stone down!
    Tiff Appreciation Society Member #2

• EthelBloggs
    yep.. it was vaccuum packed stuff.. maybe it;s just cheap and nasty, lol
    ☆ gr cT pn ☆
    Murphys no more pies club Member #41
    12 stone down!
    Tiff Appreciation Society Member #2

• thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 18th Jan 07, 6:30 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    We just have it cold with salad and baked spuds.
  • raven
    I make risotto a lot with it. Fry up a chopped onion and some garlic, add risotto rice, add vegetable stock gradually until it's all absorbed and the rice is al dente (about 20 mins), stirring often. You could also sub some of the stock for white wine. Chuck in some frozen peas, and flaked smoked mackerel. Let it heat through. Serve with a little grated cheese on top. Yum!

Or for a quick meal, stir flaked mackerel through spaghetti with pesto, and top with parmesan.
  • kittiwoz
    I mash it with yoghurt, plenty of black pepper and maybe a little lemon juice to make a pate. It does really suit being made into a pate because it is so oily and rich. It is really easy to mash with a fork.
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 18th Jan 07, 8:39 AM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 23,816 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    Cook it (grill is best) then mash up through mashed sweet potato. Its lovely!
    CC2 = 8687.86 (10000 )CC1 = 0 (9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =5.80 vs spent 1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 18th Jan 07, 9:32 AM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    You could freeze a packet, then use later!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,670Posts Today

7,596Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just had a good meeting with @JohnGlenUK about mortgage prisoners. There are no easy solutions, but pleased it's no? https://t.co/8vcQCT6LvV

• Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Follow Martin