Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 29
    • r2015
    • By r2015 9th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    r2015
    By blow air do you mean Johnson and Starley warm air heating?

I had that and had it removed and replaced with a combi and radiators.

My gas usage plummeted by over 30% from 18-19000 kWh a year to just 12918 kWh in the past year.
    Heading towards 72 and getting even more forgetful and confused and tending to ramble even more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
    • xinstaller
    • By xinstaller 11th Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    xinstaller
    Cauliflower Steaks or Cauliflower
    Thanks all for the feedback.

Appointment cancelled!

Most decent companies would have said 'is there any reason as to why you want the appointment cancelled?'

Another sign of incompetence!

Thanks and have a wonderful day all and happy heating!:

Originally posted by RSPHMansell
    You must have come across as quite assertive to have it cancelled.

These door salespeople are given a lead to go and survey and close a sale. They only get their commission if the client buys the product. So end of the day its up to the salesperson to close the deal. These salespeople do not get paid for their time and fuel if no sale is achieved .
    Its all to do with what you prefer, cauliflower steaks or cauliflower
    Always shop around. Rule of thumb GET THREE QUOTES.

• xinstaller
    • By xinstaller 20th Mar 18, 9:55 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    xinstaller
    Ok so I am new to this forum, have read alot of comments, here. Which is now concerning me! So I have Fischer coming to quote this week, having read this forum I am now of a mind to cancel the visit.

I am in the process of looking to replace my current heating system which is blow air, having some issues with it so looking at other options.

I have been quoted for radiators throughout and then there flyer came through the door, so thought no harm in talking to them.

But I sense not all is right with this company.

I have read reviews on trust pilot and I have to say that where there is something this company doesn't like, they defend themselves regirously without acknowledging the customer issue.......yes this does not feel right!!!

Any thoughts would be welcome, do not want to waste my time really.

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by RSPHMansell
    Glad you read reviews on trust pilot, please continue to read them. Ever since i mentioned about the fake reviews that built up the fake positive review bank, they seem to have stopped and actual true reviews are now beginning to emerge .
    • xinstaller
    • By xinstaller 20th Mar 18, 11:21 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    xinstaller
    about time
    I would say its about time sales chaps, heating consultants or whatever form they turn up at your front door tell their customers the truth with a guarantee of a full REFUND if expectations are not met. Potential future customers should get an endorsement from the sales chappy/charlie before parting with your cash.
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 20th Mar 18, 11:35 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    Woop we saved @RSPHMansell from wasting a !!!! tonne of cash....go team!
    • xinstaller
    • By xinstaller 23rd Mar 18, 9:22 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    xinstaller
    Refunds
    Its about time dissatisfied customers get full refunds instead of excuses. Anyone seeking refunds should write to the review site that influenced them into partying with their cash and ask them to investigate the ip address from where fake positive reviews were coming from. You will be surprised. Days are numbered as we have seen lately in the media.
    Its simple, if you have not saved on your heating bills then you were misled.
    • Terry T
    • By Terry T 26th Apr 18, 10:39 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Terry T
    Hi. I'm a new(ish) user on the site and came across this page searching for advice on replacing old storage heaters.

I had Fischer round my house for a survey. I have a 2 bedroom detached house. Main bedroom and living room is fairly big but nothing out the ordinary. It's off the gas grid so electric only.

I have 5 areas in total. 2 bedrooms, living room, bathroom and hall/stairs/landing. Plus an immersion heater.

The Fischer thief they sent to my house totted it all up and had the audacity to say ONLY 11k.

I politely removed him from my flat as fast as I could and blocked their number to stop the follow up calls.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 26th Apr 18, 4:48 PM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    lstar337
    Hi. I'm a new(ish) user on the site and came across this page searching for advice on replacing old storage heaters.

I had Fischer round my house for a survey. I have a 2 bedroom detached house. Main bedroom and living room is fairly big but nothing out the ordinary. It's off the gas grid so electric only.

I have 5 areas in total. 2 bedrooms, living room, bathroom and hall/stairs/landing. Plus an immersion heater.

The Fischer thief they sent to my house totted it all up and had the audacity to say ONLY 11k.

I politely removed him from my flat as fast as I could and blocked their number to stop the follow up calls.
    Originally posted by Terry T
    Thanks for sharing your experience Terry.

There isn't much (if any) saving to be had from replacing storage heaters. They are pretty much the cheapest option (close to gas central heating when you factor in servicing costs and meter charges) when it comes to electric heating.

There is an argument for moving to new digitally controlled storage heaters, like that they offer far more control over the heating and don't waste so much during the day, but the trade off is a large up-front cost.

If you are in all day, old fashioned automatic charge control is good enough. If you are running out of heat then add another storage heater to boost up what you're storing.

If you are out a lot of the day and have fairly poor insulation, there could be a reason to get new storage heaters with digital controls, but watch out for those up-front costs.

This is all very over simplified though, there are a lot of factors to consider.

The main thing is that you sidestepped an installation that would have cost a whole lot more per month than you are paying now, plus 11K on top! Phew!
    • xinstaller
    • By xinstaller 29th Apr 18, 2:45 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    xinstaller
    Fake reviews Tp
    Well done Terry, you saved yourself from this huge initial cost and future high energy cost. I am glad you choose to share your experience here. Today I came across an article where by BBC 5 live Investigated trustpilot fake online reviews. I have said this before that a lot of reviews on trustpilot regarding these heaters are fake. The reviews are now limited to one fake review a day. And is mostly advertising junk. Anyone reading the reviews on trustpilot will notice they are mostly left by one individual. If these reviews influenced anyones decision to purchase these heaters and are shocked with their high energy bills they should approach trustpilot for compensation and also alert trading standards.
    • Beowulf81
    • By Beowulf81 11th May 18, 2:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Beowulf81
    Hi all,

I joined the forums specifically because of this company. Two years ago they sold four of their specially made, imported from Germany radiators for 6k, insisting that they would lower her electricity bills due to them having aluminium in them, or something.

I became aware of this earlier in the month, after she had suffered two winters of incredibly high electricity bills (around 270 a month, more than it cost for an office of 14+ staff I had been running). She'd been so worried about the cost of these magic radiators that she had resorted to using the gas stove fires in the kitchen to stay warm.

I am absolutely outraged at this, that this unscrupulous company lied and tricked and swindled my sweet, trusting mother out of her hard earned money. The company is being extremely evasive, she's asked for a refund as the radiators clearly are not doing what they stated they would (reduce electricity bills) when they sold them to her but they are just trying to fob her off. Would any of you have any advice for me regarding this? I'd appreciate any help any of you could offer.
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 11th May 18, 8:20 PM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 4,800 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    Hi all,

I joined the forums specifically because of this company. Two years ago they sold four of their specially made, imported from Germany radiators for 6k, insisting that they would lower her electricity bills due to them having aluminium in them, or something.

I became aware of this earlier in the month, after she had suffered two winters of incredibly high electricity bills (around 270 a month, more than it cost for an office of 14+ staff I had been running). She'd been so worried about the cost of these magic radiators that she had resorted to using the gas stove fires in the kitchen to stay warm.

I am absolutely outraged at this, that this unscrupulous company lied and tricked and swindled my sweet, trusting mother out of her hard earned money. The company is being extremely evasive, she's asked for a refund as the radiators clearly are not doing what they stated they would (reduce electricity bills) when they sold them to her but they are just trying to fob her off. Would any of you have any advice for me regarding this? I'd appreciate any help any of you could offer.
    Originally posted by Beowulf81
    No advice as such, sadly. So many good people like yourself have after the event come here 'after the event' to express as you have understandable outrage.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - !!!8476;
    • jk0
    • By jk0 11th May 18, 8:28 PM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 24,841 Thanks
    jk0
    County court claim?
    • xinstaller
    • By xinstaller 19th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    xinstaller
    Get a refund
    If you have not received what you were promised, ask the company for a refund. Tell them that you were influenced by the FAKE reviews on trustpilot, Ask the revenant company to prove the reviews are from real customers. I have just heard you can now RENT these Fischer heaters before you buy. Although its not available from fisher for rent but from an independent supplier who buys them from X-Fischer customers selling them on eBay and supplies them for a small delivery and installation fee. I think you can now test them for efficiency and running cost before committing to purchase. Will let you know the name of the supplier once it comes to mind.
    • TeeJAy17
    • By TeeJAy17 22nd May 18, 4:08 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TeeJAy17
    I've just had solar PV installed and contacted Fischer as part of my investigation as to the best use of the spare energy being created (there are several options and storage heaters are one of them). I was annoyed that, when contacting their sales team, they insisted on sending somebody over to measure my rooms and windows. I take this as an insult to my intelligence (if I can help get satellites into space I'm sure I can work a tape measure). They would not go into any details of price but did send a brochure (again no prices). It's going to be an interesting discussion with the sales rep (sorry their engineer) when we start discussing REAL efficiency (i.e. how much of what goes in comes out and over what period of time)
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 22nd May 18, 4:59 PM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    lstar337
    I've just had solar PV installed and contacted Fischer as part of my investigation as to the best use of the spare energy being created (there are several options and storage heaters are one of them). I was annoyed that, when contacting their sales team, they insisted on sending somebody over to measure my rooms and windows. I take this as an insult to my intelligence (if I can help get satellites into space I'm sure I can work a tape measure). They would not go into any details of price but did send a brochure (again no prices). It's going to be an interesting discussion with the sales rep (sorry their engineer) when we start discussing REAL efficiency (i.e. how much of what goes in comes out and over what period of time)
    Originally posted by TeeJAy17
    When you ask them how much energy comes out for how much you put in, ask them how that differs from say a 30 thermostatic controlled heater from Argos.

I'd love to see them worm out of that.
    • TeeJAy17
    • By TeeJAy17 22nd May 18, 5:19 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TeeJAy17
    Hi lstar337,

Good point, I'm really interested in - do they radiate/convect heat during the day (when I don't want it turned on but being supplied electricity) as I don't think the insulation will be that good to keep all the heat in until I need it (in the evening). Unfortunately, in my part of the world the Sun doesn't shine in the evening (well not in Winter) so a normal electric heater is of no use to me - but I get your point, and, if they can't hold the heat for (say) 6 hours, I'd be better off popping along to Argos and warm the house during the daytime.

Also, I can't see any information regarding the insulation only the fire-clay used to store the heat. There's nothing about how it keeps the heat in until you turn it on - maybe I missed that.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 22nd May 18, 6:01 PM
    • 3,587 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    matelodave
    A Fischer heater is NOT A STORAGE HEATER.

It's a panel radiator filled with magic dust. It does not store heat in the same way as a night storage heater but in a similar manner as an oil filled radiator.

It is an on-demand heater whereby it uses leccy when it's heating but cannot store it except for half an hour or so, just like an oil filled rad. They aren't suited to off peak tariffs as they cannot take advantage of the off peak period (unless you actually heat your place between midnight and 7 am)

I cannot understand why they are still allowed to call them storage heaters.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 22nd May 18, 6:45 PM
    • 3,111 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    Xbigman
    Strictly speaking it is a storage heater in that the clay will store heat for a short time, possibly a bit longer than an oil filled radiator. What it is not, and what Fischer never call them is NIGHT storage heaters. This is a typical play on words used by unscrupulous sales staff.
    The real issue appears to be that the Fischer reps are quite happy to sell them to people on economy 7 tariffs without pointing out that they don't store heat overnight. I would suggest that anyone with economy 7 has an excellent case for a refund on the grounds of mis selling because they are patently unsuitable for that kind of supply and as Fischer insist on a home visit that should be obvious to their reps.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 23rd May 18, 10:32 AM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    lstar337
    Hi lstar337,

Good point, I'm really interested in - do they radiate/convect heat during the day (when I don't want it turned on but being supplied electricity) as I don't think the insulation will be that good to keep all the heat in until I need it (in the evening). Unfortunately, in my part of the world the Sun doesn't shine in the evening (well not in Winter) so a normal electric heater is of no use to me - but I get your point, and, if they can't hold the heat for (say) 6 hours, I'd be better off popping along to Argos and warm the house during the daytime.

Also, I can't see any information regarding the insulation only the fire-clay used to store the heat. There's nothing about how it keeps the heat in until you turn it on - maybe I missed that.
    Originally posted by TeeJAy17
    As matelodave says, they are not storage heaters like we all know and love/hate.

They will retain some heat for a small amount of time, equal to the extra time it takes for them to heat up.

They are really not any different to an oil filled heater with a thermostat.

Real storage heaters will be filled with magnetite bricks.

I bet you could lift a fischer heater with one arm, which you could never do with a true night storage heater.
    • xinstaller
    • By xinstaller 1st Jun 18, 11:11 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    xinstaller
    Fake reviews on Trustpilot
    A lot of people have purchased these heaters based on fake reviews on trustpilot. There is absolutely no EVIDENCE owners of these expensive heaters (actual cost 300 in germany) have saved on their heating bills. When door salesman/heating engineer etc etc etc are paid in commission almost over 400 per 2000, i wonder what goes on in the boiler room. The noose is closing in on door salespeople selling funeral plans....heard on the news today. The next big thing after PPI.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,527Posts Today

7,005Users online

Martin's Twitter