Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • sambessey
    • 16th Jan 07, 12:01 PM
    • 16th Jan 07, 12:01 PM
    Yes I do this all the time when I book flights/buy books... In fact I use my own credit card to get points too. What's the problem with it? They don't know, I get some points, everyone's happy.
    • nej
    • By nej 16th Jan 07, 1:09 PM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    nej
    • 16th Jan 07, 1:09 PM
    • 16th Jan 07, 1:09 PM
    Of course. If it doesn't cost the employer anything then it's fine.

If, however, the employer wants to start using their own cashback site account then naturally he must stop and do as they wish.
    • nej
    • By nej 16th Jan 07, 1:10 PM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    nej
    • 16th Jan 07, 1:10 PM
    • 16th Jan 07, 1:10 PM
    Yes I do this all the time when I book flights/buy books... In fact I use my own credit card to get points too. What's the problem with it? They don't know, I get some points, everyone's happy.
    by sambessey
    Watch this... I was owed about 500 on expenses (mostly a couple of flights) when the company I worked for went down without warning (literally here one day, gone the next)... and I didn't get a penny of it.
  • sambessey
    • 16th Jan 07, 1:46 PM
    • 16th Jan 07, 1:46 PM
    Watch this... I was owed about 500 on expenses (mostly a couple of flights) when the company I worked for went down without warning (literally here one day, gone the next)... and I didn't get a penny of it.
    by nej
    Thanks my company has a market cap in the billions and a healthy balance sheet I think (and hope!!) I'm pretty safe :confused:
    • skylight
    • By skylight 16th Jan 07, 1:52 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    • 16th Jan 07, 1:52 PM
    • 16th Jan 07, 1:52 PM
    Yes - Have done this in my last job and with Quidco. I managed £250 last year on company purchases.

I don't see that anyone is screwing anyone else here. Cashback sites offer "freebies" in effect which would be going to waste if no-one claimed them.

Obviously, if the employer decided that they wanted in on the scheme, then it would be a different matter.
    • nej
    • By nej 16th Jan 07, 5:05 PM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    nej
    • 16th Jan 07, 5:05 PM
    • 16th Jan 07, 5:05 PM
    Thanks my company has a market cap in the billions and a healthy balance sheet I think (and hope!!) I'm pretty safe :confused:
    by sambessey
    Sounds a lot safer than I was, then! This was only a small company..
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 16th Jan 07, 5:15 PM
    • 12,691 Posts
    • 43,751 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 16th Jan 07, 5:15 PM
    • 16th Jan 07, 5:15 PM
    I have to book a lot of flights and hotels then claim them back from the companies I am working with - I use a cashback credit card, have a BA reward card that upgrades me and gets me into airport lounges and I use Hilton which has meant I get upgraded rooms and points towards weekend breaks (went to prague last year 5* upgraded room for free and have enough to do it again this year) So I think its ok dont see theres a problem really - mind you I guess there could be tax implications:rolleyes:

On the other hand if the company wants to arrange it themselves then thats fine too (some get better rates) I may lose on the credit card but I will still get loyalty points.

I take the point that the company could go bust but its highly unlikely in this situation.

Funny really never have thought it could be problem and I like to think im fairly high integrity with money
  • arthur dent
    • 16th Jan 07, 6:11 PM
    • 16th Jan 07, 6:11 PM
    Absolutly no problem with that what so ever. It is a perk of the job and you would be silly not to. Nobody loses out and you gain, fantastic.
    • lewt
    • By lewt 16th Jan 07, 6:16 PM
    • 7,485 Posts
    • 9,124 Thanks
    lewt
    yes i would do this i thought when i was in the travel agent that they should be doing it.
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
    • pinkfluffybabe
    • By pinkfluffybabe 16th Jan 07, 10:18 PM
    • 2,538 Posts
    • 8,084 Thanks
    pinkfluffybabe
    I don't see any problem with it whatsoever - in fact I must keep it in mind when booking myself onto flights for conferences and so on.
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2018 - 73/162 UU, 42 IN
    Mortgage Free Wannabe 2018 No.180 765/2000
    1% challenge No.15 - 17% 2 savers No.12 - 98 5p Savers No.3 - 4.75
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.12 - 110.47/150 1p a day Challenge 584.43/667.95
  • Drama_Queen
    Be careful - my employers have a little bit of small print which states I cannot purchase things and make a gain, that includes cash back on credit cards, using loyalty cards, or buy one get one free offers and the like... So, no - I don't do it, it is considered fraud and it's not worth losing my job over
    • Mics_chick
    • By Mics_chick 16th Jan 07, 11:03 PM
    • 11,688 Posts
    • 11,566 Thanks
    Mics_chick
    Yes he should... he must already be using his own cashback credit card to buy stuff with therefore the deal is obviously that he buys stuff and then he claims it back from his employer so if he is able to buy stuff he needs from web cashback sites then he should keep those points too. I don't see why this is a dilemma at all???

My ex used to travel to Europe nearly every week with his job and stayed in hotels while he was there so he built up a large number of airmiles and hotel loyalty points - we used both of these for weekends away.

I can remember reading 1 post on here recently where a van/lorry driver filled his works vehicle up at a particular petrol station chain whenever he could as they could earn loyalty points for a supermarket.

Why are any of these situations any different?

It's a perk of the job! Especially in the suggested scenario because if you have to use your own credit card for "work expenses" and then have to fill in a claim form and wait for the company to pay you (which is not always straightaway - in my ex's experience anyway) then if you're get a kickback for all the hassle then I don't see what the problem is?

In short my opinion is "What dilemma?" !!!!!!
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs
    • Middlestitch
    • By Middlestitch 16th Jan 07, 11:22 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    Middlestitch
    Why not clear it with the employer first (who probably won't mind - if they do, at least you know you're working for Scrooge!)?
  • crossleydd42
    If it's not disadvantaging the employer, I see no harm in it at all. It's not unlike someone filling up his/her company's vehicle at Tesco, with/without a company card and building up Tesco points.

"Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
    • Arkwright
    • By Arkwright 16th Jan 07, 11:40 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Arkwright
    Be careful - my employers have a little bit of small print which states I cannot purchase things and make a gain, that includes cash back on credit cards, using loyalty cards, or buy one get one free offers and the like... So, no - I don't do it, it is considered fraud and it's not worth losing my job over
    by Drama_Queen

I would claim the cashback!!!!

But to be safe, read your contract.

If it says nothing, say nothing!
  • laughing cow
    I've used cashback sites for quite a few office purchases. My boss knows about it though and is happy for me to keep the cash. I think it's best to be upfront about it, although I recognise that I am probably luckier than many in having a great boss/workplace.

I collect Nectar Points for work purchases too, but this is on a Nectar For Business card which is registered in the company name. I don't regard this as 'my' account, so I distribute any vouchers equally amongst colleagues.

I'd definitely agree with the comments re contracts though. I used to work for a big company which had a lengthy policy regarding gifts and/or relationships with suppliers. We had to detail any gifts and sign declarations of our 'objectivity' if we 'fraternised' outside work with any suppliers :rolleyes: (Ironic really, because it was a major entertainment co; a business where you have network and 'fraternise' to get on.)
    • Dave1167
    • By Dave1167 17th Jan 07, 3:34 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Dave1167
    Possibly an offence?
    Several years ago a Water Authority issued cards to employees for purchasing fuel in company vehicles. I remember that the Petrol Company were giving away drinking glasses when fuel was bought. Naturally we took advantage of this but the Company demanded the glasses to be returned. We took legal advice and were told that the glasses belonged to the Water Authority and if they so decided we could be taken to Court. The Company eventually gave the glasses away to a Charity.
    • Amanda65
    • By Amanda65 17th Jan 07, 9:07 AM
    • 2,006 Posts
    • 3,713 Thanks
    Amanda65
    I think that if a company expects you to use your own card for company expenses, therefore effectively using your credit for their business, then any points etc. that you can gain by using said card are justified.

As for the Water Authority - how tight is that??????
  • the best things in life
    Why not clear it with the employer first (who probably won't mind - if they do, at least you know you're working for Scrooge!)?
    by Middlestitch

i agree, best way to go
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,690Posts Today

4,449Users online

Martin's Twitter