Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 12th Jan 07, 4:03 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Discounted Travel For 16-18 Year Olds
    • 12th Jan 07, 4:03 PM
    Discounted Travel For 16-18 Year Olds 12th Jan 07 at 4:03 PM
    What's the deal?

A new scheme - The Scotland wide Concesionary Travel Scheme - launched on 8 January 2007 and offers 16-18 yr olds money off travel on buses, train and ferries. You become elgible for the discount on your 16th birthday and can use it up until the day before your 19th birthday. Full time volunteers aged between 19 and 25 are also eligible for concessions.

What discount can you get?
    • Rail
      One third off all tickets including season tickets
    • Ferry
      If resident on a Scottish island you get two free return journeys to the mainland.
    • Bus
      One third off all single adult fares.
    How do get the discount

The discount will be available through the National Entitlement card, click here for more details.

Last edited by Former MSE Lisette; 10-10-2014 at 1:08 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
  • Oscar
    • 12th Jan 07, 6:12 PM
    • 12th Jan 07, 6:12 PM
    Sorry there does not appear to be a link?
    • Trixxie
    • By Trixxie 14th Jan 07, 4:42 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Trixxie
    • 14th Jan 07, 4:42 PM
    • 14th Jan 07, 4:42 PM
    Sounds good. More info here:

http://www.givememycard.org/

HTH
    Trixxie
    Last edited by Trixxie; 14-01-2007 at 4:45 PM.
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 14th Jan 07, 8:08 PM
    • 11,212 Posts
    • 48,844 Thanks
    Prudent
    • 14th Jan 07, 8:08 PM
    • 14th Jan 07, 8:08 PM
    Thank you for posting. I do hope this continues. My teen daughter had to leave her local school because of unresolved bullying. She travels to a school aboput 23 miles away. I can afford the fares just now, but I have been worried about the cost when she becomes a full fare. This will be a weight off my mind.
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 15th Jan 07, 10:44 AM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 6,140 Thanks
    MSE Archna
    • 15th Jan 07, 10:44 AM
    • 15th Jan 07, 10:44 AM
    Thanks link now added.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Anic
    • By Anic 24th Jan 07, 2:22 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    Anic
    • 24th Jan 07, 2:22 PM
    • 24th Jan 07, 2:22 PM
    This looks like a great deal.

I called for my son but if you stay in Glasgow - Glasgow City Council have their own application form.

You need to phone 0141 248 3381 and ask for a National Entitlement Card
    • marcellep
    • By marcellep 12th Feb 07, 10:38 PM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    marcellep
    • 12th Feb 07, 10:38 PM
    Money Off Transport for 16-18yr olds
    • 12th Feb 07, 10:38 PM
    Not sure if this has been posted already, I did do a search and nothing showed up.

http://www.givememycard.org/home.html

Cheaper travel. Want it?
    If you haven't already got a free National Entitlement Card for discounted travel on public transport in Scotland, apply now.

16-18 year olds and young full-time volunteers who are living in Scotland can get money off buses and trains (usually as much as a 1/3 off) with their card. If you live on a Scottish island you also get two free return ferry journeys to the mainland a year!

So what are you waiting for?

Whats in it for me?
    Cheaper travel on public transport around Scotland (and you won't need help imagining what to do with all the money you save!). Here's what you get:

1/3 off the adult single fare on most buses across Scotland [ click here for details ]
    A free Scottish Youth Rail card giving you 1/3 off rail travel [ click here for details ]
    2 free return ferry journeys to the mainland each year if you're resident on a Scottish Island [ click here for details ]
    And there's more.
    In the future, your National Entitlement Card will give you access to other discounts and services being rolled out by your local authority so it's a good idea to keep it safe.

It doesn't cost anything to apply, just the time it takes to fill out an application form and have it validated at your nearest local authority or Young Scot office. (You have to provide a passport-type colour photo of yourself - to appear on your card.)
    Who can apply?
    From your 16th birthday till your 19th, you're eligible.
    Also, if you're a full-time volunteer (30+ hours a week) aged between 19 and 25 (up to your 26th birthday) who meets the criteria for Project Scotland, you can have a National Entitlement Card.

Ask your local line manager, volunteer manager or placement coordinator to apply for you (they'll need to provide a letter confirming you volunteer with them and you provide a passport-type colour photo of yourself) or ring 0141 272 7175 for help.

Of course, you've also got to be living in Scotland.

http://www.givememycard.org/get_form.html

The first thing to do is get a form! Where from?
    If you haven't already been given an application form by your school, or local authority, get hold of one by calling:

Young Scot on 0808 801 0338
    Transport Scotland on 0141 272 7175
    Or email:yp@transportscotland.gsi.gov.uk

This is the card you would get
    If I have been helpful - Hit the Thanks button
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

42Posts Today

3,537Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin