Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 6th Sep 11, 6:02 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 6th Sep 11, 6:02 PM
    • 6th Sep 11, 6:02 PM

Oh yes, it's the Christmas 2011 Mega thread!!!!!!

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Triker
    • By Triker 6th Sep 11, 6:04 PM
    • 7,072 Posts
    • 82,161 Thanks
    Triker
    • 6th Sep 11, 6:04 PM
    • 6th Sep 11, 6:04 PM
    Fantastic, have been christmas MSE shopping already and thinking about what kind of christmas we'll be having this year...either very quiet or very not quiet.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 6th Sep 11, 6:06 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    • 6th Sep 11, 6:06 PM
    • 6th Sep 11, 6:06 PM

:

I'm all excited now.
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • jannyannie
    • 6th Sep 11, 6:10 PM
    • 6th Sep 11, 6:10 PM
    Hi Zippychick

Thanks for the thread. I'm all behind this year, usually I've got half my pressies bought and several hundred saved up, but have had to use my savings to pay for other things. Have decided to concentrate on the essentials this year and will be pruning my Christmas list.

Also Ds will be with his Dad this year so our celebrations will be a bit different. Definitely into the alcohol side of things . Will be having a party at some point. Off to have a browse.

Jan x
    • Triker
    • By Triker 6th Sep 11, 6:16 PM
    • 7,072 Posts
    • 82,161 Thanks
    Triker
    • 6th Sep 11, 6:16 PM
    Here's some free christmas smilies....just click on it, right click copy and right click paste on your christmas post.....

to Zippychick for all your work...

Special Thanks to the HysterSisters site fo having these fantastic smilies available to share.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
    • Molly41
    • By Molly41 6th Sep 11, 6:16 PM
    • 4,490 Posts
    • 38,135 Thanks
    Molly41
    I have been very quietly whispering the C word for a few weeks now on the OS thread I love the festive period and the run up to it. It starts for me when Lakeland send out their christmas catalogues. Oh how exciting
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • Gingerbiscuit
    • 6th Sep 11, 6:17 PM
    • 6th Sep 11, 6:17 PM
    Oh excited this will be a good thread, am I hoping to make more gifts this year already got an order for crochet blanket so need to start soon if it has come of being finished! Shame wool isnt very old style price still.
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 6th Sep 11, 6:19 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    • 6th Sep 11, 6:19 PM
    • 6th Sep 11, 6:19 PM
    I noticed the Cleaning the Oven is working okay.

Is this compulsory?
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 6th Sep 11, 6:28 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    I noticed the Cleaning the Oven is working okay.

Is this compulsory?
    Originally posted by Rikki
    only if you want your OH to do it

i notice we have no mincemeat linkie ZIPPYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! do we have any OS recipes my search came out mentioning it but not finding any??
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• LolaLemon
    • By LolaLemon 6th Sep 11, 6:32 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    LolaLemon
    I am soo following this thread religiously.... I love Christmas, but not the over consumerism... have been taking note if what 4 year old son is interested in so I can save for it...
    I normally start in April. But past 2 years I've bn too skint.

I don't buy for a lot if people; son, mum, dad, granda, sister, brother, 2 Godkids and now, a boyfriend.
    I try and make hampers...
    We bake for the neighbours, who have been all helpful all year.

Today I picked up some skirts for goddaughter, 1 each, reduced from 15 & 17!
    Bought vodka in to try and make flavored vodka... where does everyone get their little bottles from?
    Living Simply, not simply living.
    Cheap Christmas '15

Frugal Living for fifth year running. (2010-2015)

Weight Loss - 5b/55lb
    Books Read 2015- 7/30
    • Beki
    • By Beki 6th Sep 11, 7:01 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 3,803 Thanks
    Beki
    very very veeerrrryyyy excited about this thread!!! xxxxxx
    • kippers
    • By kippers 6th Sep 11, 7:07 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    kippers
    Oooooooh i love christmas. I have some presents bought and i have been saving a 1 everytime i go to asda to shop. I have a xmas pud bought in the sales in January also. I have along way to go yet but i looooooove talking about xmas
    • esmf73
    • By esmf73 6th Sep 11, 7:11 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 14,248 Thanks
    esmf73
    Its not so much the little bottles that you can't find - try car boots, charity shops etc. More often than not its the stoppers (how to keep it in the bottle!). SO glad this thread is here - specially in view of the weather outside. Have been making hampers over the last few months and storing them in the loft, so will have to get in the loft and see what I've got that I can gift out. YIPEEEEEE CHRISTMAS xxxx
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card 250
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 6th Sep 11, 7:14 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    I am soo following this thread religiously.... I love Christmas, but not the over consumerism... have been taking note if what 4 year old son is interested in so I can save for it...
    I normally start in April. But past 2 years I've bn too skint.

I don't buy for a lot if people; son, mum, dad, granda, sister, brother, 2 Godkids and now, a boyfriend.
    I try and make hampers...
    We bake for the neighbours, who have been all helpful all year.

Today I picked up some skirts for goddaughter, 1 each, reduced from 15 & 17!
    Bought vodka in to try and make flavored vodka... where does everyone get their little bottles from?
    Originally posted by LolaLemon

these are good
    and i'm sure can be gotten cheaper
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• D&DD
    • By D&DD 6th Sep 11, 7:17 PM
    • 4,335 Posts
    • 29,904 Thanks
    D&DD
    Yay I love Xmas too!!
    Thanks Zippy I really need to do better this year due to our early snow last year was very nearly a non starter as I was so disorganised (as usual).

Plan to do the xmas pressies early this year I have a couple already which is a minor miracle for me !
    • curiouscrafter
    • By curiouscrafter 6th Sep 11, 7:33 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    curiouscrafter
    12 homemade weeks of Christmas
    Hello,

Myself and a few friends are going to be getting together each week to make some food items for Christmas, sharing the cost and actually doing it and not just talking about it!

We are going to start with a christmas cake, christmas pudding, chutneys and jams and flavoured vodka.

Does anybody have any other suggestions please.
    • findingmyfeet
    • By findingmyfeet 6th Sep 11, 7:36 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    findingmyfeet
    ooohhhhh, just what i have been waiting for. love all the christmas preparations. no idea what sort of a christmas we will be having this year yet, not sure who will be home or not but want to organise all i can asap.
    got the general cards/crackers/gift wrap for pennies in the january sales but nothing else yet, although i have a bit of cash saved ready for gifts but all to be done on a strict budget. feel like lots of lists and planning coming on.....off to check out the links above

sealed pot member no :435 2011- 306.68 2012-304.36 2013- 387.44 2014 - 441.43 482.30
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 6th Sep 11, 7:49 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi curiouscrafter.

Mince pies, stuffing, prepared veg and potatoes for the freezer? This thead may help:

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

The Old Style Christmas thread was just started earlier this evening:

Old style Preparations for Christmas 2011!!

We also have the Special Occasions & Other Celebrations board where the name changes to the Christmas and other celebrations board nearer to Christmas. If you have a search of that board you should find lots of ideas from last year. Also it may be worth a look at last year's Old Style thread for inspiration:

Old style Preparations for Christmas 2010!!

I'll add your thread to the 2011 thread later, once you've had more replies.

Pink
  • deb68
    lovely thread
    looking forward to christmas this year,I have nearl done all the pressie shopping just got to get Ds girlfriends,and 3 bottles of aftershave for all 3 of my Ds,all pressies except those have been either ebay,charity shops,or home made wines,so far for 10 people ive spent less than 300 Ds have decent piles each Dh got 3 pressies things he needed ie thick padded shirts thick socks an warm trousers all cs only prob now is i want to give them thier pressies, im a big kid at heart
    was given 4 rolls of brown wrapping paper im going to draw or paint pics on the individual pieces i cut out then tie with ribbon from cs
    happy days
    take care everyone
    xx
    It's an honour having such a lovely family and being welsh, what more could a girl want
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

1,224Users online

Martin's Twitter