Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 10th Jan 07, 11:02 AM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories
    • 10th Jan 07, 11:02 AM
    Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories 10th Jan 07 at 11:02 AM
    MSE Insert!

Forumite lanerideruk successfully reclaimed 19 years' worth of council tax - 2,400! Join and let us know what you've reclaimed too.

Read how to do it yourself:

This thread is especially for reporting your successes in getting your council tax rebanded plus refunds.

The aim is to show others that it works.

Please report your successes here, if possible in the format:

Local Borough Council:
    Council Tax Band Before:
    Council Tax Band After:
    Amount refunded:
    Annual saving going forward:

Plus if possible a few details on your experiences.IMPORTANT NOTE! This thread is only to report succcesses

Please note this thread is ONLY for reporting successes/experiences. It isn't for answering questions, discussing what to do, or postulating on the general issues; any posts of that nature will be deleted. If you want to do that please instead go to the Discussion on Council Tax Cost Cutting

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 24-08-2015 at 12:15 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 94
    • cavemanlc
    • By cavemanlc 10th Apr 19, 1:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cavemanlc
    Local Borough Council: Rochford
    Council Tax Band Before: E
    Council Tax Band After: D
    Amount refunded: 5, 700

Thanks for the help - very easy process!
    • Wilko58
    • By Wilko58 1st May 19, 12:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wilko58
    Success
    I followed Martin's tips on how to appeal my council tax banding after I realised that my house, part of a mews type terrace was Band C along with the semi-detached and detached houses on the estate while all the other terraced house were Band B.

I phoned the Valuation Office for advice and the adviser was happy to submit my challenge for me and about 3 weeks later I was successful, receiving overpaid council tax dating back to when I moved in which was August 2006 - around 1600 better off.

Thanks Martin
    A newbie on here but been following Martin for years.
    • Phosphene
    • By Phosphene 2nd May 19, 3:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Phosphene
    CMBC success
    Local Borough Council: Calderdale MBC
    Council Tax Band Before: D
    Council Tax Band After: C
    Amount refunded: Circa 2,700
    Annual saving going forward: Circa 200
    • Barton Gate
    • By Barton Gate 4th May 19, 2:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Barton Gate
    Council Tax Refund
    Following your advice I challenged my banding and have just received a 2100 rebate.
    Thank you Money Saving Expert.
    • Bitcoinguy
    • By Bitcoinguy 10th Jun 19, 12:20 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Bitcoinguy
    Thank you @MartinLewis for your superb advice on Council Tax valuation challenge.
    I went through the process, took over 8 months, however Valuation Tribunal allowed my appeal!
    Dwelling moved from Band C to Band B.
    Looking forward to a nice little refund back
    Winning
    • OldDog
    • By OldDog 12th Jun 19, 2:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    OldDog
    Local Borough Council:Castle Point
    Council Tax Band Before:Band G
    Council Tax Band After:Band F
    Amount refunded:6,830

I first saw Martins email in early march this year and although I thought I may be in the wrong band, this gave me the confidence to pursue it. Mine and a neighbours house were both Band G whilst the next door two houses were both Band F, despite all four being built at the same time, on similar sized plots with similar specifications. I collated my evidence and made a phone call to the VOA who agreed that there was a case to look in to it. It is worth noting that whilst the Nationwide price calculator indicated I was low F in 1993, the VOA it seems do not use such indicators.

Within 7 weeks, I have received a notification of reduction to band F, followed by a refund from my Borough Council of 6,594.88. I have been in the property for 34 years and was interested to agree their figures back to 1993. I therefore requested a breakdown of the figures which it supplied but I was also advised that the Council records only went back to 1995 and that was all they could pay. I was (stupidly) told to supply evidence of payments to it for the missing two years if I wanted an additional refund. Luckily I had my original Council bills for those years so sent them copies of those. I also said that a DD had been set up and been in place since 1985 and their records would have shown that there had never been any outstanding amounts. Therefore, the balance of probalities was that the monies were paid and for them to prove otherwise. They agreed and I received a further refund of 235.79, making a total of 6,830.67.
    • Swanlady
    • By Swanlady 13th Jun 19, 11:52 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Swanlady
    Council Tax Refund From 1993-2019
    London Borough of Enfield just repaid me 4,609.30.

I will be saving 362.66 on current bill.

Claiming was easier than I imagined it would be. Only took a few weeks and the money was in my account before I even received the statements from the Council.
    Last edited by Swanlady; 13-06-2019 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Add further detail
    • katie4
    • By katie4 13th Jun 19, 12:23 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    katie4
    Hi does anyone have the link to martins email / info on how to do this? thanks

• katie4
    • By katie4 13th Jun 19, 1:48 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    katie4
    would anybody be able to help me check our home please?

looking at the sold prices and bands, our street is a mix of band A and B.

We are band B (3 bed two storey) our neighbour is also band B but theirs is a 4 bed (2 storey) and their neighbour also band B is also a 4 bed 3 storey house

The houses on the opposite side are all band A 3 beds and they all have gardens twice the size to the houses on our side where we only have small back yards

we are number 11 - bandings http://cti.voa.gov.uk/cti/InitS.asp?lcn=0

sale prices https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detail.html?country=england&locationIdentifier=POS TCODE%5E1445640&searchLocation=CF37+2NP&referrer=l andingPage

• lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Jun 19, 5:21 PM
    • 12,217 Posts
    • 10,787 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    would anybody be able to help me check our home please?

looking at the sold prices and bands, our street is a mix of band A and B.

We are band B (3 bed two storey) our neighbour is also band B but theirs is a 4 bed (2 storey) and their neighbour also band B is also a 4 bed 3 storey house

The houses on the opposite side are all band A 3 beds and they all have gardens twice the size to the houses on our side where we only have small back yards

we are number 11 - bandings http://cti.voa.gov.uk/cti/InitS.asp?lcn=0

sale prices https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detail.html?country=england&locationIdentifier=POS TCODE%5E1445640&searchLocation=CF37+2NP&referrer=l andingPage
    Originally posted by katie4
    Duplicate thread
    • pingusback
    • By pingusback 20th Jun 19, 5:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pingusback
    Local Borough Council: Solihull
    Council Tax Band Before:Band E
    Council Tax Band After:Band D
    Amount refunded:2.900
    (1200 in cash, 1700 by rebate)

A very easy process:
    1 Checking the bands of the property around me on the government website.
    2, A phone call to the VOA
    3. An E-mail to the VOA, setting out my case
    4. 5 weeks later, a letter from the VOA confirming the re-band and stating the effective date was 1997
    5. No contact from Solihull MBC. so a phone call to them. They advised that my Bank account had been credited with 1200... the rest would be rebated.

I still have issues with Solihull MBC over their lack of communication & failure to provide a detailed breakdown of the refund. I'm currently corresponding with them.

Thank you Martin!! & MSE
    • Angie371
    • By Angie371 27th Jun 19, 8:50 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Angie371
    Success eventually in Coventry
    I enquired about our council tax about 5 years ago and was told it was definitely correct. I did some research and asked for a rebanding in March this year. I had a letter back saying that we were in the correct band. I asked the valuation officer to call me. She had our house listed as a 3 bedroom instead of a 2 bedroom. There were houses opposite us that were exactly the same on a Band A whereas we were a Band B. I had to get our original plans from the council back to 1937. I have been checking the VOA site daily. Yesterday it changed us from a B to an A. We should be due about 3000 back. We have lived here since 1998.

If you feel it is wrong keep persevering!

Thank you to Martin and the team.

• lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 28th Jun 19, 12:36 PM
    • 12,217 Posts
    • 10,787 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I enquired about our council tax about 5 years ago and was told it was definitely correct. I did some research and asked for a rebanding in March this year. I had a letter back saying that we were in the correct band. I asked the valuation officer to call me. She had our house listed as a 3 bedroom instead of a 2 bedroom.
    Originally posted by Angie371
    This highlights the necessity of checking that the VOA have the correct info about your home when you ask for a re-banding
    • Angie371
    • By Angie371 5th Jul 19, 6:47 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Angie371
    Not the easiest process
    The VOA were not keen to help me. I had to pay at my expense for copies of the original plans to prove I was right. It was like "Computer says no".
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 5th Jul 19, 12:35 PM
    • 12,217 Posts
    • 10,787 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    The VOA were not keen to help me. I had to pay at my expense for copies of the original plans to prove I was right. It was like "Computer says no".
    Originally posted by Angie371
    As they had previously checked and confirmed the band 5 yrs ago, the VOA would not want to spend any more time or effort on the matter than was absolutely necessary.
    • Keith_F
    • By Keith_F 25th Jul 19, 11:58 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Keith_F
    25 years of over-payments refunded.
    Local council -Wiltshire.
    Band before. F
    Band after. E
    Refund 6797
    Saving pa. 730

Some 10 years ago, my local council refused to change my council tax band, insisting it was correct.
    A few weeks ago, I again challenged it, this time via the valuations office.
    They agreed with me and changed my band from F to E.
    Today they have notified me of 25 years of refunded payments totalling ............
    6,797.93!!!

This is a seriously good day! :
    Last edited by Keith_F; 25-07-2019 at 2:23 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

3,177Users online

Martin's Twitter