Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 10th Jan 07, 12:02 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories
    • 10th Jan 07, 12:02 PM
    Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories 10th Jan 07 at 12:02 PM
    MSE Insert!

Forumite lanerideruk successfully reclaimed 19 years' worth of council tax - £2,400! Join and let us know what you've reclaimed too.

Read how to do it yourself:

This thread is especially for reporting your successes in getting your council tax rebanded plus refunds.

The aim is to show others that it works.

Please report your successes here, if possible in the format:

Local Borough Council:
    Council Tax Band Before:
    Council Tax Band After:
    Amount refunded:
    Annual saving going forward:

Plus if possible a few details on your experiences.IMPORTANT NOTE! This thread is only to report succcesses

Please note this thread is ONLY for reporting successes/experiences. It isn't for answering questions, discussing what to do, or postulating on the general issues; any posts of that nature will be deleted. If you want to do that please instead go to the Discussion on Council Tax Cost Cutting

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-08-2015 at 1:15 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 91
    • SoftJohn
    • By SoftJohn 26th May 18, 11:04 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SoftJohn
    Success but with strings
    Success but with strings
    I have been successful in having my bungalow reassessed from band G to band F with an Effective Date of Alteration on 1/4/1993. As I have been living in this bungalow since 1983 I was expecting a 26 year of rebate, which going by my records and some assumptions should be approximately £5.5K and Annual saving of £350. I have received a letter from North Somerset Council stating the rebate is from 1/4/2001 and only £4.9K. Dose any one knows the reason??
    Also, they inform me that I must request payment of the rebate and that I would only get what is left after they deduct this year’s Tax liability even though I have always paid monthly. Is this normal and can I request that the rebate is paid in full, as I wish to continue to pay monthly?
    Final point as Water rates are calculated on the Ratable Value can I request a refund from them to?
    Thank you Martin and your team.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 26th May 18, 11:56 AM
    • 10,813 Posts
    • 6,272 Thanks
    CIS
    Success but with strings
    I have been successful in having my bungalow reassessed from band G to band F with an Effective Date of Alteration on 1/4/1993. As I have been living in this bungalow since 1983 I was expecting a 26 year of rebate, which going by my records and some assumptions should be approximately £5.5K and Annual saving of £350. I have received a letter from North Somerset Council stating the rebate is from 1/4/2001 and only £4.9K. Dose any one knows the reason??
    Originally posted by SoftJohn
    Only the council can tell you exactly why but there are many reasons why no refund could be due earlier - was there an exemption in place, full council tax benefit paid etc. If they tried to restrict it to 6 years I could have told you straight away what they were up to but 17 years is an odd one.

Also, they inform me that I must request payment of the rebate and that I would only get what is left after they deduct this year’s Tax liability even though I have always paid monthly. Is this normal and can I request that the rebate is paid in full, as I wish to continue to pay monthly?
    Legislation in respect of this is a mess when it comes to refunds and can depend on exactly how it's read. In general, unless you want to get in to the inner depths of council tax legislation to argue it then the legislation would support the council.

Final point as Water rates are calculated on the Ratable Value can I request a refund from them to?
    Thank you Martin and your team.
    The RV is long since frozen for water so you'll not get anything back.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting Council Tax payers. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • Luckky
    • By Luckky 1st Jun 18, 8:47 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Luckky
    Success - thanks Martin!
    Local Borough Council: Mole Valley
    Council Tax Band Before: E
    Council Tax Band After: D
    Amount refunded: £4561
    Annual saving going forward: £300

After watching Martin back in March, I checked my band on the VOA site and found it was higher than the other 3 identical houses in my road. I also saw that my next door neighbour had successfully reduced their band around 10 years ago. I called the VOA who told me I had a good case and that I should send a letter detailing the other properties and send it to them by recorded delivery. I got an acknowledgement back by return saying that they'd investigate and get back to me within 2 months with a decision. Almost exactly 2 months later, I received a Notice of Alteration reducing my house to Band D.

Today the council contacted me saying that a cheque would be on its way for the overpaid tax from the last 20+ years and also a revised bill for this year.

Once I'd done the research, it's been a very easy and pleasant process with very helpful people from the VOA and the council. I can't thank them enough, as well as Martin of course for making me check in the first place!
    • stevieg1
    • By stevieg1 17th Jun 18, 10:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stevieg1
    Another success
    City of York. Reband from Band F to Band E - followed the advice about making sure I compared my house with identical/similar properties. Two months later moved down a band as I hoped. Limited refund as we have recently bought, but good to know how much I will save in future years by being a band lower.
    • dpr171
    • By dpr171 21st Jun 18, 5:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dpr171
    Delighted & amazed
    After some delay I reacted to the weekly news email & followed the instructions for submission to the Valuations Office. After a few to & fro emails my valuation band was reviewed & reduced from E to D going back to 1993.
    My council very quickly by multiple communications ackowledged is was owed £2505.45 from 2010/2011 to 2017/2018. They refunded £1891.17 but put £613.28 toward the current years council tax.
    I complained about this & asked about the rest of the refund back to 1993. The £613.28 was refunded very quickly & after a short delay, due to accessing historic systems, a further £3332.64 was refunded for the period 1993/1994 to 2009/2010.

Local Borough Council: Borough of Broxbourne
    Council Tax Band Before :E
    Council Tax Band After: D
    Amount refunded: £5838.09
    Annual saving going forward: £358
    • ktsaver
    • By ktsaver 2nd Jul 18, 3:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ktsaver
    success with re banding Wiltshire
    i have always felt we were wrongly a C when we should have been a B band .
    when buying the house in 93 (at a B band).. the band jumped up to C . by the time i noticed and wrote .. they replied 6 months had elapsed and that was that .
    no internet then so I took it as closed .
    recently saw Martins tips .and sent an email to get a revaluation, After an instant reply saying 60 days to respond .. i waited .. no contact ..at the end of 60s days .. yes ! band B AND 3000 Grand refund in the bank .. Thank you Martin
    • Sharon_Me
    • By Sharon_Me 6th Jul 18, 6:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sharon_Me
    Appeal
    I am in the process of supporting 5 elderly residents who are all challenging their band from a B-A all bar one have been refused due to the 6 month clause. I would like to refer to your case if I may - can you provide the appeal number so that I can extract it from the Valuation Tribunal Decisions?

Kind Regards

Sharon

Local Council: East Riding of Yorkshire
    Previous Band: C
    Now in Band: B
    Refund: £369.14

This my first post and its good news as you can see. I had thought for ages that my 2 bedroomed end terrace should be in a band B and not a C but was under the impression I had missed the boat as hadn't queried it within 6 months of moving in (which was May 2003). After reading Martins article I rang the local valuation office who said they would look into it, they came round and measured the house not long after and a month later I got a letter (yesterday) saying it had been altered. I then rang the council who said a refund of £369.14 would be 'on the way'

It will go towards a holiday that we thought we might not be able to afford this year!

Thanks Martin
    Originally posted by melg1973
    • CIS
    • By CIS 6th Jul 18, 6:47 PM
    • 10,813 Posts
    • 6,272 Thanks
    CIS
    I am in the process of supporting 5 elderly residents who are all challenging their band from a B-A all bar one have been refused due to the 6 month clause. I would like to refer to your case if I may - can you provide the appeal number so that I can extract it from the Valuation Tribunal Decisions?

Kind Regards

Sharon
    Originally posted by Sharon_Me
    The online list of decisions is only those case which have gone to a valuation tribunal appeal, they won't show any there were resolved directly with the valuation office agency.

The VOA will reject an appeal past the 6 months statutory limit - what you need to do instead is to ask that they use their duty to maintain an accurate list to review the banding.
    Last edited by CIS; 06-07-2018 at 6:50 PM.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting Council Tax payers. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 6th Jul 18, 6:48 PM
    • 11,184 Posts
    • 9,548 Thanks
    lincroft1710

Kind Regards

Sharon
    Originally posted by Sharon_Me
    There won't be a Valuation Tribunal decision as there wasn't a VT case, the VOA dealt with it themselves
    • GarethD2000
    • By GarethD2000 9th Jul 18, 11:43 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GarethD2000
    Council Tax Success BUT HELP NEEDED
    Local Council : Pembrokeshire (WALES)
    Previous Band : E
    Now in Band : D
    Refund : £1,322.60

Success but at a cost.
    My property has finally been rebanded … THANK YOU M.S.E. & MARTIN … YAY
    Unfortunately I have only been refunded back to 2012 (6 years) and not to 2000 when I purchased the property … grrrrr
    The VOA have informed me that the "Effective date of alteration" is limited by legislation in Wales and that they are only permitted to reduce the band 6 years back from the date they alter it.
    Is this correct & can I appeal this date ?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated ….
    • CIS
    • By CIS 9th Jul 18, 12:14 PM
    • 10,813 Posts
    • 6,272 Thanks
    CIS
    Local Council : Pembrokeshire (WALES)
    Previous Band : E
    Now in Band : D
    Refund : £1,322.60

Success but at a cost.
    My property has finally been rebanded … THANK YOU M.S.E. & MARTIN … YAY
    Unfortunately I have only been refunded back to 2012 (6 years) and not to 2000 when I purchased the property … grrrrr
    The VOA have informed me that the "Effective date of alteration" is limited by legislation in Wales and that they are only permitted to reduce the band 6 years back from the date they alter it.
    Is this correct & can I appeal this date ?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated ….
    Originally posted by GarethD2000

In 2010 Wales introduced legislation to restrict backdating to 6 years for banding.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 9th Jul 18, 1:47 PM
    • 11,184 Posts
    • 9,548 Thanks
    lincroft1710

Unfortunately I have only been refunded back to 2012 (6 years) and not to 2000 when I purchased the property
    Originally posted by GarethD2000
    Even if the limitation on backdating had not been introduced, the earliest effective date could only be 1 April 2005 as that is the date, the current Welsh Valuation List commenced.
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 12th Jul 18, 11:30 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    telemarks
    Local Borough Council: South Somerset
    Council Tax Band Before: F
    Council Tax Band After: E
    Amount refunded: £ 5100
    Annual saving going forward: £ 300ish
    Dated from : moving into newly completed conversion (1996)

Thanks to this site, I've just helped my father get his refund. It took three letters, with increasing levels of details, and was not straightforward as it is in a set of barn developments, where no two properties are alike.

We thought it straightforward, as my fathers 3 bed property is the mid terrace of three, all converted from one Apple barn. It is about 60% the size of the two semi detached 4 bed conversions at either side. But its impossible to tell this from the outside, and hence all 3 were put in band F (as was the original 7 bed farmhouse, but thats another story...).

In the end the case was decided in my fathers favour when he sent the 1996 original conversion sales details which included floor plans, for both his property, and one of the next doors that he also looked at. Lucky he kept ancient paperwork!
    Last edited by telemarks; 12-07-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    • janjohn
    • By janjohn 12th Jul 18, 8:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    janjohn
    Successfull appeal
    Having read MSE article we appealed against our banding succesfully.
    South kesteven Lincolnshire.and achieved a reduction from band E - £1989.88 to band C - £1447.18 saving £542.70 per year. This was back dated to 2006 when we purchased the property and we received a total refund of £5807.87 and we would urge other people to apply as it costs nothing just a little time - many thanks MSE
    • Kaz1972
    • By Kaz1972 14th Jul 18, 8:35 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kaz1972
    Council Tax
    Council : Preston
    Band: C
    Reband: B

Found out we were in same band as my parents who live in a better area so looked into rebanding on here. We wrote to valuation office who responded within 6 weeks to agree we were in the wrong band and it was being lowered. Out of 37 houses on the street, there were only 7 in the higher band. Woke up this morning to find £2991 deposited into our account by Preston City Council !!!128512;. So grateful to this site! Going to share with next door neighbour and hopefully make his day too !!!128514;
    • Woby_Tide
    • By Woby_Tide 15th Jul 18, 12:23 AM
    • 5,202 Posts
    • 1,965 Thanks
    Woby_Tide
    Hollow victory for me. Had my own house down banded and dated back to 2003 but have only lived here a few months but that has triggered all 9 of my neighbours in the terrace to be downgraded so appears that c. £43k is being refunded to them and previous owners / tenants . At least someone has gained is the main thing
    Last edited by Woby_Tide; 15-07-2018 at 9:52 AM.
    • valerie harris
    • By valerie harris 17th Jul 18, 3:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    valerie harris
    Rejection re Council Tax rebanding
    I previously wrote to my Valuation Office raising question concerning Council Tax Band (G) which was rejected. There are many different types of houses in my road and comparison is therefore futile. Zoopla is useless when providing values of the properties - they are way off the mark. The Valuation Office contacted me by phone, asked numerous questions and I advised I had a valuation when I remortgaged in 1994 with a figure of £160k. I purchased in 1983 and have now used the calculator on your site which quotes the value as £151844 in 1990 and £143985 in 1994. Presumably I will be fighting a losing battle to take the matter further.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 17th Jul 18, 7:26 PM
    • 11,184 Posts
    • 9,548 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I previously wrote to my Valuation Office raising question concerning Council Tax Band (G) which was rejected. There are many different types of houses in my road and comparison is therefore futile. Zoopla is useless when providing values of the properties - they are way off the mark. The Valuation Office contacted me by phone, asked numerous questions and I advised I had a valuation when I remortgaged in 1994 with a figure of £160k. I purchased in 1983 and have now used the calculator on your site which quotes the value as £151844 in 1990 and £143985 in 1994. Presumably I will be fighting a losing battle to take the matter further.
    Originally posted by valerie harris
    The MSE calculator isn't accurate. In many areas of the country 1994 house prices were well below those of 1991.
    • swwchris
    • By swwchris 21st Jul 18, 7:14 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    swwchris
    New Build
    I have just moved into a two bedroom house built in 2014. It has just been valued by an independent RICS valuer (NOT building society) at £175000. All the two bedroom properties around me are on the same Council Tax Banding which is C.

I think this is wrong and the banding should be B

Is the fact that the properties are only four years old a problem when it comes to appealing the banding?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 21st Jul 18, 2:01 PM
    • 11,184 Posts
    • 9,548 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I have just moved into a two bedroom house built in 2014. It has just been valued by an independent RICS valuer (NOT building society) at £175000. All the two bedroom properties around me are on the same Council Tax Banding which is C.

I think this is wrong and the banding should be B

Is the fact that the properties are only four years old a problem when it comes to appealing the banding?
    Originally posted by swwchris
    No problem in being 4 yrs old, but a problem would be that it appears you are in the same band as similar neighbourhood houses
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,995Posts Today

8,632Users online

Martin's Twitter