Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 14th Nov 06, 11:17 AM
    • 4,025Posts
    • 5,513Thanks
    pollyanna24
    whole chicken in the slow cooker
    • 14th Nov 06, 11:17 AM
    whole chicken in the slow cooker 14th Nov 06 at 11:17 AM
    Can't fit a whole chicken in my slow cooker (which is on loan from mum).

To save me going out to buy one, how do I go about chopping bits off to make it all fit? I don't really need to learn how to joint a chicken to do this, maybe just cut his legs off? :confused:
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - 180,235.03
    (End 2018) - 169,999.96
    (End 2019) - Target 160,000
Page 1
    • angelavdavis
    • By angelavdavis 14th Nov 06, 11:30 AM
    • 4,705 Posts
    • 7,325 Thanks
    angelavdavis
    • 14th Nov 06, 11:30 AM
    • 14th Nov 06, 11:30 AM
    There are some good videos on the Food Network (US) site, including quartering a chicken.

Try out http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_dm_meat_poultry/text/0,,FOOD_19002_23291,00.html

Personally though, I just insert the knife into the crease between the leg and ribcage and then cut through the knuckle joint to remove the legs.

My mum uses kitchen scissors to cut the chick in half (starting at the neck opening, cut down the centre ribcage, then cut each half in half again.
    Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 14th Nov 06, 11:42 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 14th Nov 06, 11:42 AM
    • 14th Nov 06, 11:42 AM
    Hi pollyanna,

There are step by step instructions and pictures here on how to cut up a whole chicken.

Warning.....if you're squeamish, don't look at the link.

Pink
    • ziggy2004
    • By ziggy2004 10th Jan 07, 10:11 AM
    • 331 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    ziggy2004
    • 10th Jan 07, 10:11 AM
    whole chicken in the slowcooker
    • 10th Jan 07, 10:11 AM
    It works!!!!!! I am so happy I would never have thought of this if it wasn't for this board. I put in in on low for 6 hours and had a delicious roast chicken I made a pasta dish with chicken yesterday and i have enough left for another full meal and a little bit to into my special fried rice.

Thank you!

X Anne

If anyone is considering trying this please do I was amazed at how much I could get off the chicken we(dh really) are big meateaters and a medium chicken would normally have only done us for 1 meal now it is 2 and a bit
    • tiff
    • By tiff 10th Jan 07, 10:28 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 10th Jan 07, 10:28 AM
    • 10th Jan 07, 10:28 AM
    I love chicken done in the slow cooker, it's just the smell of it I cant stand. Doesnt seem to smell as nice in the house as it does in the oven, but it really does literally fall off the bone, you can pick up the meat and leave the bones behind in the pot.
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 12th Jan 07, 9:16 AM
    • 26,981 Posts
    • 78,788 Thanks
    jackieb
    • 12th Jan 07, 9:16 AM
    • 12th Jan 07, 9:16 AM
    You definately get the most off your chicken when you do it in the slow cooker. How did you do yours? I put the chicken on 2 biggish carrots so it's not resting on the bottom of the pot. I read this somewhere so i've never tried it without the carrots.
  • bulchy
    • 12th Jan 07, 9:20 AM
    • 12th Jan 07, 9:20 AM
    I'm going to try this on sunday. Got a medium size chicken, so will allow 6 hours cooking time, and will definitely use carrots to rest it on.
    Jackie, do you eat the carrots that you cook the chicken on?
    Tiff, if the smell isnt as pleasant as roasting in the oven, I might add some cloves of garlic, might make it more appealing.
    Sue
    • blue-kat
    • By blue-kat 12th Jan 07, 9:23 AM
    • 455 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    blue-kat
    • 12th Jan 07, 9:23 AM
    • 12th Jan 07, 9:23 AM
    you can finish it off in the conventional oven to crisp up the skin, might improve the aroma?
    but it's difficult to move the chicken as it's all slippy and can't get a grip as meat falls off the bone so easily.
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 12th Jan 07, 9:34 AM
    • 26,981 Posts
    • 78,788 Thanks
    jackieb
    • 12th Jan 07, 9:34 AM
    • 12th Jan 07, 9:34 AM
    I'm going to try this on sunday. Got a medium size chicken, so will allow 6 hours cooking time, and will definitely use carrots to rest it on.
    Jackie, do you eat the carrots that you cook the chicken on?
    by bulchy
    I usually do. No point in wasting them. I also put in a whole onion (peeled of course. Dh loves this, something to do with his mum always giving him this when he lived at home :confused: )

How much water do you put in with your chicken. I just put an inch or so. I only got my cooker last year so it's still pretty much trail and error here.
    • hazzie123
    • By hazzie123 12th Jan 07, 9:44 AM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    hazzie123
    I just stick my chicken in it,no water,no veg at the bottom.Have done this a few times now and it`s been perfect every time.

But be carefull when lifting it out of the crockpot,as it`s soooo tender it does tend to fall off the meat fork. I tried to get it out the usual way I would if it had been done in the oven with a large meat fork.I gave it a good jab in the breast and tried to lift it out but it just slipped off and slopped back into the crockpot,splashing me with hot chicken juice.
    So now I use two slotted serving spoons to pick it out.

The meat is unbelievably tender by slow cooking it.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 12th Jan 07, 9:45 AM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 5,513 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    I've only cooked a chicken in the slow cooker twice (for my cat).

Maybe I cooked it too long, cos even the bones crumbled to nothing. I had it on from 6am to 6pm on low. :confused:

Because of the bone crumbly thing, I have never made roast chicken like this for me and bf.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - 180,235.03
    (End 2018) - 169,999.96
    (End 2019) - Target 160,000
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 12th Jan 07, 9:49 AM
    • 26,981 Posts
    • 78,788 Thanks
    jackieb
    I just stick my chicken in it,no water,no veg at the bottom.Have done this a few times now and it`s been perfect every time.

But be carefull when lifting it out of the crockpot,as it`s soooo tender it does tend to fall off the meat fork. I tried to get it out the usual way I would if it had been done in the oven with a large meat fork.I gave it a good jab in the breast and tried to lift it out but it just slipped off and slopped back into the crockpot,splashing me with hot chicken juice.

by hazzie123
    I'll have to try it without anything in with it. I thought it would have stuck to the bottom. Thanks.

Makes me want to go out and buy a chicken for tonight.
  • megisabel
    Im cooking a whole chicken in my SC....can someone tell me....
    After we have eaten some of the chicken tonight as a roast I would like to make the remaining "stuff" into a chicken soup.

Could anyone give me some step by step instruction?

Thankyou!!
  • SandiRaRa
    I once cooked a whole chicken in my SC and I think I overdid it, I ended up having to spend ages picking out all the knobbly gristly bits that had disintegrated and fallen apart. Never again! Sorry I can't help much just want to warn you not to overcook it.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 12th Jan 07, 11:59 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi megisable,

I usually strip the remaining chicken from the carcass, then put the carcass into a hot oven and brown the bones as it gives the stock a better flavour.

To make the stock put the (browned) bones and any left over veg (including the water it was cooked in) and gravy into a pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and then allow it to simmer slowly for a couple of hours. Strain and save the stock and discard the bones.

To make the soup:

Put a little bit of butter and oil in a pan.

Add the veg (can be any you like) but I usually have leek, onion and carrots celery etc, season with salt and pepper and allow them to sweat (cook over a low heat for about 20 minutes).

Then add the stock and pulses if you are planning to use them (I use a dried soup mix) and simmer until the pulses are cooked.

Finally add the left over chicken and finely chopped parsley.

These older threads might give you more ideas:

using chicken carcasses for soup?

Chicken question again please soup ?????

chicken soup help.

Proper chicken soup recipe..?

chicken soup problems...

moles and cream of chicken soup

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 12-01-2007 at 12:07 PM.
  • liz..
    I wash the chicken (make sure it fits first!), put a chopped carrot, onion and stick of celery in the cavity and put it in sc. No water is needed as it seems to make its own. I have done a few like this and usually have it for Sunday lunch so would put it on last thing at night before I go to bed (around 11pm) on medium and then check it in the morning, drop it down to low if it looks like its ready but to be honest, you can't really go wrong. I use the leftovers for a chicken pie.
  • bulchy
    Chickens been lifted out of the freezer now, and I'm going to buy some veg for tomorrow, I'm really looking forward to tomorrow nights tea have been given some great advice here. We've had the slowcooker since october last year and everything we've cooked in it has gone down really well, but so far we've been a bit wary of cooking a whole chicken. Thanks everyone for the tips
    Sue
    • stilernin
    • By stilernin 13th Jan 07, 9:17 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 1,615 Thanks
    stilernin

by hazzie123
    Whenever I roast a chicken I put strips of folded foil underneath so the cooked bird can be lifted out. This could be used in a slow cooker I suspect.

The length of foil you need should be approx 6" more than the width of the roasting tin. Fold the foil, lengthways, into three. This makes the strip stronger.

Oil both sides a little to it doesn't stick later and place in the bottom of the tin, widthwise. The edges of this will be sticking up either side. Put the chicken on and fold down the extra foil to keep it out of the way and cover and cook as usual.

When ready to serve, unfold the ends of the foil strips and you have 'handles' to lift out the chicken with. The foil can be torn away when the bird is on the serving dish. You'll only leave the tiniest bit under the bird.

When I cook a heavier bird like a turkey, I put the strips in both directions and find a second pair of hands to help me lift it out.

Whoo hoo....... I've just thought of an 'obvious tip'....... I'm going to post it over there.
    • blue-kat
    • By blue-kat 13th Jan 07, 9:34 AM
    • 455 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    blue-kat
    thanks stilernin
    I'll try this but with baking paper next time.
    I was slightly concerned that foil might leak when immersed in water or other cooking juices, which is why the idea of propping the chicken up on chunks of carrot appeals.
    • blue-kat
    • By blue-kat 13th Jan 07, 9:35 AM
    • 455 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    blue-kat
    is it possible to cook 1/2 leg of lamb the same way in the SC?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

3,915Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @IsabelHardman: This is really good. For all the stuff about noisy rows over the past few days, it?s worth remembering that a lot of abu?

• This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Follow Martin