Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • wigginsmum
    • 26th Jun 06, 5:14 PM
    • 26th Jun 06, 5:14 PM
    I'd cook them up and freeze them in icecube moulds to go with pork chops or roast pork. Alternatively you can use apple sauce instead of butter/marg in cakes.

Peel, core and chop them - put in saucepan with some sugar and a small amount of water, and heat them up till they go mushy.

Or you could cook them whole in the oven with the core centre pulled out and stuffed with raisins and brown sugar and a knob of butter.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
    • Whitefiver
    • By Whitefiver 26th Jun 06, 5:55 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Whitefiver
    • 26th Jun 06, 5:55 PM
    • 26th Jun 06, 5:55 PM

Or you could cook them whole in the oven with the core centre pulled out and stuffed with raisins and brown sugar and a knob of butter.
    by wigginsmum
    I second that suggestion - delicious!

Even better with decent custard......

Regards,

White
  • emilyt
    • 26th Jun 06, 6:28 PM
    • 26th Jun 06, 6:28 PM
    I peel and cut them up. Put them into a bowl and microwave for about 5 minutes. No need to add water. Add sugar at the end and they taste delicious. Very quick to do and serve with ice cream or freeze.
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 8th Sep 06, 4:43 PM
    • 10,422 Posts
    • 58,361 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • 8th Sep 06, 4:43 PM
    a quick question about freezing cooking apples
    • 8th Sep 06, 4:43 PM
    i have had a load.. and i mean aload of cooking apples given to me.... and i want to freeze them....

so can i just peel...core.. and slice... and then freeze... so then i can use for a variety of things...

or... do i have to part cook them first....

i dont really want to make a load of apple pies and freeze... as i want to leave my options open in their use....

as i love making my own apple sauce... and also quick frying them with pork.....

i would be extremely gratfull.. for the info..
    Work to live= not live to work
    • twink
    • By twink 8th Sep 06, 4:47 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    • 8th Sep 06, 4:47 PM
    • 8th Sep 06, 4:47 PM
    just as you said, peel, slice and bag, you may need to keep them in lemon or salted water while you peel enough for a bagful to keep them white, they will keep a long time in freezer, i have a pile waiting to be frozen too
    • taplady
    • By taplady 8th Sep 06, 5:00 PM
    • 7,155 Posts
    • 73,597 Thanks
    taplady
    • 8th Sep 06, 5:00 PM
    • 8th Sep 06, 5:00 PM
    just as you said, peel, slice and bag, you may need to keep them in lemon or salted water while you peel enough for a bagful to keep them white, they will keep a long time in freezer, i have a pile waiting to be frozen too
    by twink
    Thanks for this, I didn't know you could just freeze them - I've always stewed them first!
    Every penny saved is a penny saved
    • twink
    • By twink 8th Sep 06, 5:05 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    • 8th Sep 06, 5:05 PM
    • 8th Sep 06, 5:05 PM
    i have been doing it for years, even if the last of the bags look slightly brown after being in the freezer quite a while they will still taste okay
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 8th Sep 06, 5:10 PM
    • 10,422 Posts
    • 58,361 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • 8th Sep 06, 5:10 PM
    • 8th Sep 06, 5:10 PM
    thanks twink.... i thought you could freeze that way but i just wanted to clarify..... as i didnt want to waste them if it went wrong.... as cooking apples work out quite expensive in the supermarkets..... and there is a huge diff.. in home made apple pies... and apple sauce....
    • twink
    • By twink 8th Sep 06, 5:18 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    ctc could you maybe ask on freecycle for apples, i have given away a lot and have loads left to pick, before we had our trees a big house near us used to advertise apples for sale every year, or would farm shops be cheaper, eating apples might do for a pie too, you would need less sugar
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 8th Sep 06, 5:35 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    My encyclopedia of home freezing (my bible!) says the following:
    To freeze cooking apples: peel, core and cut into rings or slices 6mm thick, Keep in water and lemon juice until all are prepared, then blanch in boiling water for 1 minute. drain, cool under cold running water, then drain pat dry and pack in rigid containers or freezer bags. Seal, label and freeze.
    Storage time 8 to 12 months.
    Hope his helps!
    I Believe in saving money!!!
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 8th Sep 06, 5:37 PM
    • 10,422 Posts
    • 58,361 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    i have had a load given to me by a friend... and i didnt even know that they had an apple tree

but before that last week i did ask on the freecycle site... and have had 1 reply.... but he hasnt got back to me with address details.... as in the freecycle ad..i said i had some rhubarb plants that i could swop..... if they wanted....

but before that i did used to buy bramleys from the supermarket...and what a price
    • twink
    • By twink 8th Sep 06, 5:44 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    hilstep, i dont bother with blanching and the apples have always been fine, once i have peeled my way through about six carrier bags of apples i am glad to bung them in the freezer i probably have some in the bottom of the freezer since last year
    • Fay
    • By Fay 15th Sep 06, 9:04 AM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 3,449 Thanks
    Fay
    Cooking apples
    A lady at work has brought some cooking apples into work but I don't have any recipes to use them with, what does anyone recommend?
    • dannahaz
    • By dannahaz 15th Sep 06, 9:23 AM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 4,413 Thanks
    dannahaz
    Baked stuffed apples - easy and scrummy.

4 cooking apples
    4 tablespoons water
    demerara sugar (or demerara sugar mixed with dried fruit: sultanas, whatever you have)
    butter

Wash and core the apples, don't peel them.
    Make a shallow cut around the middle of the apples.. this is so they can swell during cooking without bursting all over the inside of the oven
    Stand them in an ovenproof dish and pour the water around them
    Stuff the core-holes with sugar (or sugar and dried fruit mixture)
    Put a small knob if butter on the top of each apple
    Bake at 200 degrees (Gas 6, 400 F) until the apples are very soft. This usually takes 45 mins to an hour.

The water turns to syrup which you spoon over them when you serve.

Delicious as is, or add custard, or ice cream.

We usually have 2 apples each. If there are more than two of you, use a bigger dish and increase the quantities of the other ingredients accordingly.
    • Fay
    • By Fay 15th Sep 06, 10:08 AM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 3,449 Thanks
    Fay
    I was wondering about making an apple crumble or something with them, could I? Baked apples sound lovely though
  • Queenie
    Apple crumble
    Apple Pie
    Baked Apples
    Apple dumplings
    Apple and Apricot Soup (chilled)
    Apple and Bacon Charlotte (savoury)
    Apple and blackberry Jam
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • twink
    • By twink 15th Sep 06, 11:15 AM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    some recipes here www.bramleyapples.co.uk
  • outrageous_monkey
    Can you juice cooking apples?
    Hi

My neighbour has very kindly give me (yet:rolleyes: ) another bag of cooking apples. Apart from crumbles, jelly, chutneys etc, which I have all made, I was wondering if I could juice them and drink it??:confused: TIA
    I also remember the words of my friends, but I would rather have enemies than friends like you

would like to make it known that ZubeZubes avvy is a DHN, she's not dancing
    • Nix143
    • By Nix143 20th Oct 06, 2:36 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 7,341 Thanks
    Nix143
    Not an expert by any means but aren't cooking apples a LOT sourer than normal eating apples? Wouldn't that mean you would have VERY tart jiuce and potentially a rather strong laxative?

Sorry not to be more helpful, sure someone will come along and tell you how you can do it

xx
    Comps 2016 in 2016 - 1 wins = 530 26.2%
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER No. 428 2015 - 210.93

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,929Posts Today

8,021Users online

Martin's Twitter