Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 1st Sep 11, 3:08 AM
    • 2,847Posts
    • 366Thanks
    britishboy
    Someone pllllllease advise me on dog insurance!
    • 1st Sep 11, 3:08 AM
    Someone pllllllease advise me on dog insurance! 1st Sep 11 at 3:08 AM
    There was me thinking cars were hard to insure

Need to sort out insurance for my 10 month old cav pup, and the options/extras/bolt ons for the policys are mind boggling!!

What should I definatley go for, what can be left out and what small print should i watch out for?
    Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 1st Sep 11, 3:13 AM
    • 20,595 Posts
    • 17,201 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    • 1st Sep 11, 3:13 AM
    • 1st Sep 11, 3:13 AM
    What are the options you have been offered? It's up to you really. Do you want the extras or not? Paying extra to advertise that your pet is lost wouldn't suit me but it might be appropriate for you.

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 1st Sep 11, 3:19 AM
    • 2,847 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 1st Sep 11, 3:19 AM
    • 1st Sep 11, 3:19 AM
    Not so much options but not sure what cover i want for the illness, if she gets a long term one i want cover for that, not just a one off payment for treatment
    • sarah*a
    • By sarah*a 1st Sep 11, 3:33 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 13,155 Thanks
    sarah*a
    • 1st Sep 11, 3:33 PM
    • 1st Sep 11, 3:33 PM
    The one thing I think is essential above all others is the illness cover. Make sure the policy you take out doesn't just pay for one year and then stop.

For example the insurers I am with (More Than) insure for 7,000 per illness as long as you stay with them. My Little Dog has 2 ongoing long term not-really-life-threatening illnesses and will be on medication for the rest of his life. If I'd had a policy that only paid for the first 12 months of the treatment I'd be broke Once an illness has been diagnosed you will not get insurance for it from a different insurer.

I hope that makes sense - there's loads more info in the sticky at the top of the page http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=108056

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it can not be conquered by it" Ayn Rand
  • lolseh
    • 1st Sep 11, 3:41 PM
    • 1st Sep 11, 3:41 PM
    If you want a simple policy who are great at paying out then look no further than the Kennel Clubs insurance. Both my boys are with them and they have been great at paying out for one who has needed lots of tests and meds lately.
  • tricklesthegreek
    • 1st Sep 11, 3:58 PM
    • 1st Sep 11, 3:58 PM
    I cannot state highly enough, with pet insurance, you really do get what you pay for. If you can go for it, pay a little bit more and go for lifetime policy. I am with petplan and the policy for my irish setter is 56 a month. Yes it is a steep but when he was a year old he collapsed and had major sickness for absolutely no rhyme or reason. We got him to the vet and they had to keep him in overnight and keep him on drips, do xrays - poor little boy had injested poison whilst out on a walk (they use it around our way to kill pests). Vets bill came to 489, they said you will need to pay and claim back. We don't have credit cards and didn't have that kind of saving so they asked who the insurance was with. I said petplan and they didn't even blink and did a direct claim. A few years ago my young dog who was 11 months old was put to sleep after a diagnosis of AIHA. Whilst I appreciate ultimately there was not much that could be done for her condition, having no insurance was a kick in the nuts as there was no way I could afford the treatment they were suggesting, especially as they effectively told me she was dying anyway :-(
    So please, please, please, read up on what is covered on your insurances, and if you can afford it, go the whole hog, get a life policy that will cover any condition if it reoccurs later in life, and max it out. For us the 56 a month is enough for the peace of mind because to lose a dog the way I lost my girl would just destroy me. And when our boy fell ill, the money we had paid in paid for itself when we had to claim. Yes ultimately you will end up paying more into insurance than you probably will in using it (hopefully) but that's what it's there for.
    Bankrupt June 15th 2009. Early discharge granted March 4th 2010. Nose completely clean ever since. Got a barclays and co op basic account with debit card, own mobile contract, own gas and electric, own landline, own vanquis credit card which is paid off in full each month. Credit files cleaned up and all say satisfied.
    • elliebellie
    • By elliebellie 2nd Sep 11, 8:16 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    elliebellie
    • 2nd Sep 11, 8:16 PM
    • 2nd Sep 11, 8:16 PM
    yep, can only agree with other posters, pay more get more!

We've been with the Kennel Club, since he was about 14 weeks old and they have paid out in the region of 70k in the last 10 years, with no quibbles. They have just changed their T&C's meaning that there is a limit per year for each condition approx 10k, but that starts afresh next year.

We do pay a lot (130 pm) but given how much he has had, we can't really complain, certainly no other insurer would take him on.

make sure you get a reasonable amount of cover per condition - it doesn't take a lot to reach the limit, if they have a long term condition, esp if it starts when they quite young.

Although our pooch is probably a bit of a special case in terms of amount of treatment, but you just never know!
  • lizzyb1812
    • 2nd Sep 11, 9:30 PM
    • 2nd Sep 11, 9:30 PM
    I re-insured my yellow lab recently when the insurer I was with shut up shop for pets and wanted to transfer me to the parent company's plan at about 30%+ cost of old policy. I decided that I needed cover for illness and third party liability but not for advertising for a lost dog etc. Then I just used a comparison website to get quotes for what I wanted.

No-one can say how much illness cover you need - depends on the breed and all sorts of things. There is the choice to be made about whether to cover a cost per year or an ongoing condition. Talk to people you know with dogs and see what sort of cover/costs they have incurred. The premiums referred to so far on this thread seem high but the circumstances of the individuals concerned and their dogs are not clear. If you are on a tight budget cover what you can and remember that you are insuring a risk, not something that will definitely happen.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
    • hethmar
    • By hethmar 3rd Sep 11, 10:07 AM
    • 10,399 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    hethmar
    • 3rd Sep 11, 10:07 AM
    • 3rd Sep 11, 10:07 AM
    If I could afford it Id go with Petplan for life policy (watch out for the economy policies they have recently introduced). However, AXA is my choice for one dog and M and S for the other dog. Both for life policies where the pot of money is topped up every year to the cover of 7k. Be careful of limited cover of 12 months or cover per illness which sounds good but could leave you without insurance if your dog has a chronic life time illnesses needing meds and treatment.

Have a look at the huge sticky on the subject.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,026Posts Today

7,170Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin