Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    goodgodthatonesevenbigger
    It just struck me, am i the only one who does this?
    • 29th Aug 11, 2:54 PM
    It just struck me, am i the only one who does this? 29th Aug 11 at 2:54 PM
    As i have just completed my weekly task of 'watering my milk down', it struck me and i asked myself i wonder if im the only one who does this?

11 days out of 14 i live by myself and 4 ltrs of milk usually sees me through the fortnight. For the past six months i have been buying full fat milk and mixing it half and half with water. to my mind and taste buds this makes and tastes like semi skimmed milk and saves me 50% on my milk costs.

Surely i cant be the only one who does this?

Oh and btw i dont tell anyone else i do it and have never had any comments re the taste of cuppas etc

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 06-09-2011 at 5:55 PM.
    A penny saved is a penny earned.
    The less you spend the more you have.
Page 1
  • rubys mummy
    • 29th Aug 11, 3:25 PM
    • 29th Aug 11, 3:25 PM
    nope....you're not the only one that does this!

i water mine down with cooled boiled water and it goes twice as far!
  • goodgodthatonesevenbigger
    • 29th Aug 11, 3:27 PM
    • 29th Aug 11, 3:27 PM
    Thanks god for that , lol i was beginning to think maybe i had taken frugalism a bit too far
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 29th Aug 11, 3:28 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 29th Aug 11, 3:28 PM
    • 29th Aug 11, 3:28 PM
    Hi goodgod,

I don't do this personally as I have growing children who need all the calories and nutrients they can get from milk and I prefer to drink undiluted milk myself to guard against the risk of future osteoporosis, but quite a few other Old Stylers do water down their milk as you can see from this previous thread:

Watering down milk.....

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 31-08-2011 at 10:37 AM.
  • rachbc
    • 29th Aug 11, 3:31 PM
    • 29th Aug 11, 3:31 PM
    I wouldn't do this as it reduces the nutrients in the milk and as I have kids I like them to get as much as possible from it - I only spend 3 (3x 4 pints) a week on milk so its not a huge proportion of my budget anyway
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • meg72
    • By meg72 29th Aug 11, 3:33 PM
    • 5,040 Posts
    • 45,850 Thanks
    meg72
    • 29th Aug 11, 3:33 PM
    • 29th Aug 11, 3:33 PM
    I use half litre of UHT milk to make yogurt then water the other half to use in tea and coffee.
    Slimming World at target
  • LJM
    • 29th Aug 11, 3:37 PM
    • 29th Aug 11, 3:37 PM
    i used to do this till we swapped to skimmed uht
    Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life
    • rosy
    • By rosy 29th Aug 11, 3:46 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    rosy
    • 29th Aug 11, 3:46 PM
    • 29th Aug 11, 3:46 PM
    I do this and get the best of both worlds - I keep some of the full fat milk back to use where I need a creamier taste eg making a white sauce, & dilute the rest for where I would use semi-skimmed (on cereal, for instance). I get through a lot of milk and this saves a fair bit of money over the year and gives me more room in the fridge. I know the nutritional value is less but I don't have any young children & I'm getting enough vitamins etc. from other sources.
  • valk_scot
    • 29th Aug 11, 4:17 PM
    • 29th Aug 11, 4:17 PM
    It's fine for adults in most cases. If you've got kids though, it's not ideal as it also halves the amount of calcium, protein and vitamins in the milk. It's not just about the fat content.
    Val.
  • goodgodthatonesevenbigger
    With the reduction of Vitamins, calcium etc can this not be made up with yogurts and cheese?
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 29th Aug 11, 5:03 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 4,870 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    i used to do this till we swapped to skimmed uht
    Originally posted by LJM
    We buy semi-skimmed and water it down by 50% to make skimmed. Not sure if it will work with UHT though.
  • rachbc
    With the reduction of Vitamins, calcium etc can this not be made up with yogurts and cheese?
    Originally posted by goodgodthatonesevenbigger
    It could - but both are much more expensive than milk so it kind of undoes the small savings for me
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • amanndajane
    • By amanndajane 29th Aug 11, 10:54 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    amanndajane
    surely adding water isnt actually taking any nutrients OUT of the milk
    Going it alone and feeling the pinch
    CCJ 2,900(Reducing by 50 pm)
    • reehsetin
    • By reehsetin 29th Aug 11, 11:03 PM
    • 4,818 Posts
    • 4,554 Thanks
    reehsetin
    Originally posted by amanndajane
    dont think it would but e.g. a pint of watered down wouldnt have as many as a pint of actual semi skimmed
    Yes Your Dukeiness
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 29th Aug 11, 11:26 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Adding water isn't taking the nutrients out of the milk, but it is diluting the amount of nutrients. If I give my son a 250ml glass of milk with dinner he will get all the goodness. If I give him a glass of milk diluted with water he won't get so many of the vitamins and minerals that would be available in the original glass of milk.

While I understand the argument that he could get these nutrients from yoghurt and cheese, he wouldn't normally eat a portion of yoghurt and cheese with his evening meal, but he will always be happy to drink a glass of milk.

Pink
    • sparrer
    • By sparrer 30th Aug 11, 12:46 AM
    • 6,777 Posts
    • 53,614 Thanks
    sparrer
    I've been watering down full fat milk for some years, there's only me so no lo's to worry about. I buy at least one 4-pint container a week so for me it's a significant saving, and no-one has ever mentioned a difference in taste in tea, coffee etc....so far!
  • valk_scot
    No, but it does reduce the amount in a given portion.

As to making the nutrients up with yoghurts and cheese well, yes, of course you can. But kids need proportionally more calcium etc in their diet as they're still building new bones and milk can make a significant contribution to this. When my kids were younger the recommendation was for them to drink one pint of full fat (or semi-skimmed, if the child was a good weight) of milk per day. Skimmed milk was not regarded as suitable for children as it loses the fat soluble vitamins. My youngest is not quite 10 so I doubt the recommendation has changed that much.

And for us women well, calcium in the diet is crucial all through our lives in order to help stave off osteoporosis so it's best to keep an eye on one's intake. If milk is the only calcium rich food you're eating then it would be wiser to avoid watering it down imho. Switch to skimmed by all means as it's got as much calcium as any other kind and it's cheaper too, as are UHT milks. But if you're eating other calcium rich foods there's no need to worry, even if you don't drink milk in any form.
    Val.
  • jcr16
    i have done it in the past but it not something i do all the time.

we have young children (7,6,3 and baby) so it important for them well apart from baby to have the milk undiluted, they do love the yoghurts and cheese etc. but hubby and i prefer skimmed milk in our tea, so if we run out of skimmed then i will dilute full fat or semi down for our cuppas. i do keep a stack of uht milk under the stairs tho so we hopefully don't run out.

we drink alot of milk tho, hubby loves pint of it or more just to drink. we go through about 4/6 pints a day.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
  • anguk
    I have done it occasionally if we've been running out of milk and I can't get to the shops until the next day but I don't do it on a regular basis. There's no little ones in the house but I do like to make sure DD and I have plenty of calcium, my OH had an aunt with osteoporosis and it's something I'd do my best to avoid if possible.
    Dum Spiro Spero
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 31st Aug 11, 5:03 PM
    • 26,779 Posts
    • 57,008 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    When I was living at home many years ago my Mum point blank refused to buy skimmed milk, her advice to me was to water down what she bought. I never tried it though.

If I make porridge too thick then I add more water instead of soya milk.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,579Posts Today

9,939Users online

Martin's Twitter