Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Trajal
    • By Trajal 20th Aug 11, 7:55 AM
    • 543Posts
    • 963Thanks
    Trajal
    Acts of kindness
    • 20th Aug 11, 7:55 AM
    Acts of kindness 20th Aug 11 at 7:55 AM
    Well we've had that thread up about the naughty things we may have done in the past when at our lowest ebb. I thought that was a wonderful thread, and it made me think of something I had forgotten.

When I was very young and living on the outskirts of Bristol, I had a job interview in the centre, it was about 12 miles away and I was walking it, trying to hitchhike. When a car finally did start to pull in towards me along the road, I was absolutely crestfallen when I saw it was a taxi. I explained to the driver that I had no money and I was hitch-hiking and he said in his thick indian accent 'Money is like chocolate, you eat it and it is over, don't worry, get in and I will take you for free'.

Really lovely of him, and he got me to my job interview on time, I did the interview and was offered the job on the spot, came out to go home and he had waited for me for an hour to make sure I could get home!

I suppose that's two random acts of kindness in one really but I was quite overcome by how sweet he was. I am now married to an Indian lady actually, hah, maybe I had subconsciously remembered that! Anyone else want to share something that really restored their faith in other humans when they were at their lowest ebb?

Insert By Martin

Sorry for intruding on this thread, just wanted to say - soppy git that I am - how nice it is to read such things, when we oft hear only of the poor side of human nature. As someone said below, true chicken soup of the soul.

I would also like to point out that this forum has seen its own acts of random kindness too, just read these...

Kindness of strangers in the forum
    Forum giving baby a place to rest its head
    An act of genuine kindness to warm the heart
    MSE user lisawaters (Mike) on BBC DIY SOS - The Big Build Littlehampton

And do read on below for some more 'warm the cockles' tales.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 30-08-2011 at 7:43 PM.
    Debt free, moved, got new stuff for the new flat - got everything I wanted and need - now just saving.
Page 1
    • mrsdwhite
    • By mrsdwhite 20th Aug 11, 9:50 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 1,590 Thanks
    mrsdwhite
    • 20th Aug 11, 9:50 AM
    • 20th Aug 11, 9:50 AM
    I'm sorry I don' really have anything to mention but wanted to say that I hope your thread takes off a bit as I'd love to read some more of these stories....

Your story is lovely....things like that restores your faith in people a bit doesn't it?!
  • lilac_lady
    • 20th Aug 11, 10:04 AM
    • 20th Aug 11, 10:04 AM
    Around 20 years ago I dropped my purse when I was getting off a bus and it was returned to me by someone I didn't know but lived nearby. She wouldn't take any money from me but stayed for a cup of tea and we've been friends ever since.

Karma - I found a diamond solitaire engagement ring on a washbasin at work and handed it in to reception. The owner was so grateful and gave me a big box of chocolates. Do unto others etc etc and hopefully good karma will follow you.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• x_Kaz_x
    • 20th Aug 11, 10:16 AM
    • 20th Aug 11, 10:16 AM
    When I was 18 and had just moved into my first place all I had to furnish it with was a bed and a coffee table (well really it was an old cable spindle that I found outside a building yard lol). After I had been there a few weeks a friend of mine stopped by at my work and asked to borrow my keys so he could grab his bookbag that he forgot at my apartment.

After a few hours he returned my keys and waited until I finished work to walk me home (I worked a late shift so he and other friends often walked me home for safety) and when I unlocked my door and walked into my apartment I was very surprised to see that it was fully furnished with a couch, reclining chair, tv stand with tv and playstation 1, dining table with 4 chairs, dresser, as well as a full cupboards and a fridge full of food!!

His parents had just redecorated their house and had everything stored in their garage and when they found out about my situation they told him that I could have everything, so he and one of our other friends moved everything in as a surprise to me.

It hadn't cost them much, but it really meant the world to me!
    Last edited by x_Kaz_x; 20-08-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: fixing a typo
    *£1,500 £1223 LTSB O/D (0%) £3,500 LTSB Loan - 36 30 months left*
    **DFD July 2014**
    SAVINGS - £350 (ISA) £58 (£2 coins)

• MiaowMiaow
    • 20th Aug 11, 11:56 AM
    • 20th Aug 11, 11:56 AM
    These stories are so lovely, it really does restore your faith in human kindness. There are nice people out there who care.

I havent really got any examples I have experienced but I have had people donate things when I moved house like my Mums friend at work donated a lovely TV for the lounge.

My neighbours are lovely genuine people,. Last week I looked after their pet rabbit and on their return gave me a box of chocolates, completely not necessary but such a lovely thought.

When I lived elsewhere with an ex, my beloved cat Tigger went missing and I will be forever grateful to the lovely lady who called the cats protection league or I would never have got him back. He is now living with my ex but at least I know he is well cared for.

xx
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 20th Aug 11, 12:21 PM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 25,725 Thanks
    Mirů
    • 20th Aug 11, 12:21 PM
    • 20th Aug 11, 12:21 PM
    One Sunday my friend and I went by bus into the Yorkshire Dales for a days hillwalking. The only bus home was at 6.30 pm. We were at the bus stop, which was in the middle of nowhere at the appointed time. Said bus came round the corner with the driver busy reading a piece of paper as he was driving.....never slowed down or glanced at the bus stop despite us gesticulating and shouting. Drove straight past us! So there we were, 35 miles from home, stranded, in the pouring rain, no mobiles, (yonks ago!) and no bus til the following Tuesday and no money for accomodation! Fortunately, a couple in a car behind the bus saw what happened and stopped, told us to jump in and they would catch up the bus, overtake and get us to the next bus stop. It tuned out they lived vaguely in our direction and in the end insisted on driving us all the way home and deposited us outside our front doors! I have never forgotten their act of kindness. Needless to say the bus company got a very sharply worded letter of complaint!
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • Mikeone
    • By Mikeone 20th Aug 11, 12:49 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    Mikeone
    • 20th Aug 11, 12:49 PM
    • 20th Aug 11, 12:49 PM
    On the note of paying it forward, every time someone helps me out with a bit of advice on these boards, I feel compelled to go onto a different thread and help somebody else. It might be constructive advice or just a note of encouragement, but it all helps to keep these forums going
    I'm a...I'm a real traditionalist of course
    • elaine12022
    • By elaine12022 20th Aug 11, 1:40 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    elaine12022
    • 20th Aug 11, 1:40 PM
    • 20th Aug 11, 1:40 PM
    what a lovely story Trajal, and so important to focus on positive things when we can get caught up in the negative

I have had so many acts of kindness to me, the most recent this morning the butcher gave me 2 extra lamb chops for free, he has been giving us little extras since our circumstances changed, kind man

CC2 3/2/11
    £435.45 3/3/11 £425.76 6/5/11 £402.37
    6/8/11 £328.82
    The Great Declutter 2011 - email decluttering 5/2/11
    20303/3/11 2000 3/5/11 185022/11/11 1600
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 20th Aug 11, 2:26 PM
    • 15,625 Posts
    • 53,582 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    • 20th Aug 11, 2:26 PM
    • 20th Aug 11, 2:26 PM
    I don't think I have any stories...........but I love reading them Keep posting people!

xxx
    Sealed Pot 12 - 008, 365, 1p a day, 1%, 100 days, Saving to be out of debt!
    • Happytogetdebtfree
    • By Happytogetdebtfree 20th Aug 11, 2:36 PM
    • 6,780 Posts
    • 15,515 Thanks
    Happytogetdebtfree
    It's very similar to chicken soup for the soul :-) I like and love the stories in them :-) xx
    I AM A MONEY MAGNET, THEY ARE MAKING MORE MONEY FOR ME AS WE SPEAKMIKES MOB, DFW NERD 1071, DFW LHS 132!MIRACLES HAPPEN I'VE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES. LBM 08£77240.69 Current outstanding total £36083.01 Paid so far = £41157.68
    • regret70
    • By regret70 21st Aug 11, 1:06 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    regret70
    Isn't it funny how all these stories seem to be several years ago. it seems people have forgotten how to be kind!.

my husband recently found a blackberry phone on the floor when he was driving home (not sure how he spotted it in the dark!) but he drove back to pick it up. when he bought it home we saw there were loads of photos on it of children so we tried to ring the 'home' number and someone answered. my husband offered to deliver it to their house (about 4 miles away) it was 11pm at night and not in a very nice area.

we literally put the phone down and got in the car when the phone rang, I answered it was the girl telling us to hurry up! she said she want her phone that minute as she was about to leave and we would need to take it to a different address (10 miles away) my husband said we would only drop it at the first address.

when we got there she came out the house and snatched it off him no thankyou or anything. bloomin rude.

a few years ago i found another phone at a festival, I managed to ring their mom and get the address to return it, i posted it to them it cost me about a fiver in postage but I never received any thanks.

I just hope maybe someone would return the favour if i lost my phone but i doubt it!
    LBM- may2010
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 21st Aug 11, 1:18 PM
    • 3,403 Posts
    • 12,889 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Isn't it funny how all these stories seem to be several years ago. it seems people have forgotten how to be kind!.

my husband recently found a blackberry phone on the floor when he was driving home (not sure how he spotted it in the dark!) but he drove back to pick it up. when he bought it home we saw there were loads of photos on it of children so we tried to ring the 'home' number and someone answered. my husband offered to deliver it to their house (about 4 miles away) it was 11pm at night and not in a very nice area.

we literally put the phone down and got in the car when the phone rang, I answered it was the girl telling us to hurry up! she said she want her phone that minute as she was about to leave and we would need to take it to a different address (10 miles away) my husband said we would only drop it at the first address.

when we got there she came out the house and snatched it off him no thankyou or anything. bloomin rude.

a few years ago i found another phone at a festival, I managed to ring their mom and get the address to return it, i posted it to them it cost me about a fiver in postage but I never received any thanks.

I just hope maybe someone would return the favour if i lost my phone but i doubt it!
    Originally posted by regret70
    That's awful!! I would have been so grateful if your husband had found my phone, I certainly wouldn't have let you both drive to me to drop it off - they deserved to lose their phone. Some people just have no decency whatsoever. At least you know you aren't one of those people .

Emz xx
    £1,000 challenge - Started on 14/05/19 - £48.35/£1,000
  • Millie2008
    I found a phone on a train recently and the battery was about to die, so I just about managed to get the "home" number off it, before the battery went completely. Phoned the number and spoke to the owner's mother, who said her son was going frantic and was v v v grateful as they both thought it would be bye bye phone. I like to subscribe to the "do unto others" school of thought.

And a few weeks ago, we were on holidays and I lost my phone (iphone- eek) in the amusements. Similarly frantic, I went to the security guard and some kind person had handed it in.

I would like to think it was karma
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 21st Aug 11, 1:24 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 23,049 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    When we had the snow this last winter we were out driving in the 4x4 and came across a gas van trying to pull out an estate from a ditch... the lady driving it had lost control on a tricky corner and got 2 wheels completely stuck. Both she and her son were freezing so we sutck them in our car to keep warm whilst my hubby and the gas man carried on trying to get her car out - took a while but they managed it! She wanted our names and addresses to send us something to thank us but we insisted that we really didn't want anything for just lending a hand... after all, I'd hope someone would stop if it was me
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
    • ms_night_ryder
    • By ms_night_ryder 21st Aug 11, 2:16 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 11,582 Thanks
    ms_night_ryder
    erm have a few that might fit.

There is a lady who lives not too far from me, but has to walk down my road to get to her house, whenever i see her with shopping i feel compelled to help her, she always has at least 8 shopping bags, the reason i always help her is because, i remember all those times walking back from sainsburys, with very full bags wishing someone would help me.

Another, my grandma who was 74 at the time, was walking back from church, which is literally down the road from her, she fell down and there was a car driving past, who stopped the car and the lady and the daughter both helped my grandma up and insisted that they driver her home, my grandma said no, it was literally 1 minute from her house, you can see her front door from where she fell, the lady insisted, put my grandma in the car and drove her to the end of the road, then she and her daughter walked my grandma to the front door, to make sure she got in safe, that almost made me cry, there are a lot of people that would have drove past not caring, i'm glad they helped, as my grandma has arthritis, walks with a stick and at the time has just recovered from a back operation.

I have also given a phone back, the guy, could be classed as a hoody, he was so grateful, he said god bless you, lol
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • frugaliciousness
    When my youngest child was born we were going though some extremely difficult times financially and lost our home. We managed to secure a rental home by being honest with the landlord. He asked us what was the most upsetting thing we had to deal with during our troubles.

I had said that it was not being able to afford to put the heating on and checking on my little one before I went to bed. She'd kicked foot out of her press studded baby grow and out of her blankets. Her foot was freezing and bluish in colour. I was mortified and still feel sick when I think about how cold her leg must have been. I nearly lost my composure telling him and felt very desperate, probably came across that way too.

When we moved in to the rental house there was two new boxed up electric blankets for my children's beds sitting on the window sill.
  • Etretia
    Last winter when it was snowing I parked in a car park and tried to pay but didn't have enough change, I told the woman in the queue behind me to go in front as I was fishing in my bag for more change.

I would have had to find a shop to get change, I was unfamiliar with the town, I was very tired as I had left home at 6am to get to work and generally felt quite miserable. She just dropped a £1 coin in my hand and walked off! I shouted a thanks after her.

I was able to leave work early that day as it had started snowing again so my mood was a bit brighter by then. When I got to the car park an elderly man was struggling to find change for his parking ticket too, I dropped a £1 in his hand and told him Happy Christmas! I told him about the kind lady that had rescued me that morning.

It might only have been £1 but it felt like a warm bowl of soup and a blanket on a very cold day!
    • dibuzz
    • By dibuzz 21st Aug 11, 2:42 PM
    • 1,939 Posts
    • 6,379 Thanks
    dibuzz
    My youngest son is a bit scatty and has lost 3 phones.
    Each time I rang the numbers but no answer and even sent a text offering a £20 reward if it was brought back but never got a reply.
    Shame none of you nice people found them
    14 Projects in 2014 - in memory of Soulie - 2/14
  • Hovel lady
    Not sure how to word this but I'll try.

I am having a difficult time at the moment and would just like to say a huge thank you to everyone on the DFW board for being there. Especially the people who have posted in my diary who are helping me through some really painful stuff at the moment.

All the people who post replies on here that help others in difficulty, you are wonderful and the world is a much better place for having you around.
    Posting a messge may seem like a small thing but it really is an "Act of kindness" so thank you xx
    • midnight sky
    • By midnight sky 21st Aug 11, 3:58 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    midnight sky
    I was driving with my mum and there were these people waving down cars, so my mum pulled in and asked them if they were ok, they said they needed £20 petrol to get to where they needed to go. We only had £10 between us and offered it to them they said no that they would follow us to the nearest town to go to the cash point and give them £20 and he would give us his ring, tbh I was thinking why didn't he just take the £10 we offerd as we were not asking for anything anyway.. mum drives off to the nearest town to get this money for them he follows her to the cash point again i'm thinking thats a bit rude. She gives him £20 and he gives her this gold ring mum thought that was quite sweet as she hadn't asked for anything. About 3 weeks later I was reading the local paper and they were in there, they had been caught doing this up and down the country and that they had been offering rings that were worth nothing and making loads of money . Anyway I still think my mum did a good thing and tbh I would not have done the same if I was driving I think he would have had to be happy with his £10 I offered.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,873Posts Today

6,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The maths is wrong. Even if MPs weren't given a penny by the state in salary or expenses, it'd save a trivial count? https://t.co/Kgskcjd6eG

• What an utterly depressing watch this is. I think the MP handles it as well as possible. Good on him for not just t? https://t.co/LrSY56HbPA

• RT @Caitch22: @MartinSLewis Maybe the cheap housing, final salary scheme generation that want to tax the young should pay for their own car?

• Follow Martin