Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • noodles86
    • By noodles86 19th Aug 11, 9:47 AM
    • 517Posts
    • 4,052Thanks
    noodles86
    How do I stop buying rubbish?
    • 19th Aug 11, 9:47 AM
    How do I stop buying rubbish? 19th Aug 11 at 9:47 AM
    I'm a long time
    Last edited by noodles86; 07-07-2012 at 8:43 PM.
    I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the past, the present, and the future. The spirits of all three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach. - Charles Dickens
Page 1
  • lilac_lady
    • 19th Aug 11, 9:55 AM
    • 19th Aug 11, 9:55 AM
    Spend cash only and if you've run out you won't be able to buy rubbish. Difficult at first but it makes you decide if it's a need or a want when you buy something.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 19th Aug 11, 10:17 AM
    • 972 Posts
    • 5,067 Thanks
    Tink_04
    • 19th Aug 11, 10:17 AM
    • 19th Aug 11, 10:17 AM
    what i do is i have a few different accounts 1 for bills one for shopping and 1 for spending - when i get paid (Monthly - or weekley if you like) i put the money into each accout so allthe DD's come out of the bill one - i make a shopping list and go food shopping with the other one and the spending one is for stuff i want/need/see on special offer etc - i divide it by the number of weeks till next pay day so i know how much i have a week - id also cut up your CC as if you dont have it you cant spend on it.
    1p savings challenge 2018
    2 savings challenge
    • sandieb
    • By sandieb 19th Aug 11, 10:21 AM
    • 726 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    sandieb
    • 19th Aug 11, 10:21 AM
    • 19th Aug 11, 10:21 AM
    Write out your menus in advance for a week or month and buy only what you need.

Keep a diary and write down EVERYTHING you buy for a week, month or year!

That hopefully will keep your mind focused on what you NEED.

Hope this helps!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Aug 11, 10:22 AM
    • 64,975 Posts
    • 381,326 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 19th Aug 11, 10:22 AM
    • 19th Aug 11, 10:22 AM
    Put yourself in the position of a single person on JSA with no children. After household bills you'd have 20/week tops to feed yourself and buy things, so say 10/week food and 10/week for everything else.

If you spend more than 10/week on clothes, makeup, drinks with friends, posh coffees, pizza .... tell yourself you're robbing your kid of the benefits money provided for them.
    • noodles86
    • By noodles86 19th Aug 11, 10:24 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 4,052 Thanks
    noodles86
    • 19th Aug 11, 10:24 AM
    • 19th Aug 11, 10:24 AM
    I have been toying with the idea of cutting up the card for quite a while, the only thing that has held me back is that what if there's an emergency and I need cash although (and i'm trying to be as honest as possible!) Im sure if there was an emergency then I could borrow some money off family members. And just incase anyone is curious! The last emergency was in 2008 when I moved into a council flat with no carpets and dd was crawling, so was a 600 pounds necessity rather than a want, so I think I should just shut up and go cut!
    I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the past, the present, and the future. The spirits of all three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach. - Charles Dickens
    • noodles86
    • By noodles86 19th Aug 11, 10:26 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 4,052 Thanks
    noodles86
    • 19th Aug 11, 10:26 AM
    Put yourself in the position of a single person on JSA with no children. After household bills you'd have 20/week tops to feed yourself and buy things, so say 10/week food and 10/week for everything else.

If you spend more than 10/week on clothes, makeup, drinks with friends, posh coffees, pizza .... tell yourself you're robbing your kid of the benefits money provided for them.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Thanks, I've never really seen it like that, silly really, as it's an overdraft but it's also not even my money, it's the banks!
    • katsu
    • By katsu 19th Aug 11, 10:26 AM
    • 4,368 Posts
    • 13,707 Thanks
    katsu
    You could put the card in a plastic bag then put it in a sandwich tub full of water and then put it in the freezer. In an emergency you could thaw it out with a hairdryer but you could hardly plonk a block of ice down on a shop counter for casual spending
    Debt at highest - 8k Debt Free 31/12/2009 (eight years and counting )
    Original MFD: May 2036 Current MFD: 2021
    • sandieb
    • By sandieb 19th Aug 11, 10:27 AM
    • 726 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    sandieb
    • 19th Aug 11, 10:27 AM
    • 19th Aug 11, 10:27 AM
    You could put the card in a plastic bag then put it in a sandwich tub full of water and then put it in the freezer. In an emergency you could thaw it out with a hairdryer but you could hardly plonk a block of ice down on a shop counter for casual spending
    Originally posted by katsu
    Unless you are shopping in Iceland
  • mouseymousey99
    Try waiting overnight to see if you really want something. Sometimes you look at it in the cold light of day and realise you don't really want/need it.
    Knock the takeaways on the head - get to the library, choose a pile of cookery books ~ the OS board has loads of tips too. Invite friends to yours and make the pizza's.
    Wonder around your local veg market - much better value, and buy some fresh veggies.
    Buying some rubbish is par for the course, everyone does; stop beating yourself up.
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 19th Aug 11, 10:37 AM
    • 972 Posts
    • 5,067 Thanks
    Tink_04
    i know the awful feeling of what if there is an emergancy how would we manager etc - but if you cut the card up (or freeze it) you can always use it again if you REALLY need to as you could call the card company say you lost it and get a new one through the post so if it was not essential you would be able to get it - i had to cut mine as i was still using it for petrol saying that was an emergancy when infasct it was just my poor budgeting skills - suppose it depends how strong you are. Good luck x
    2 savings challenge
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 19th Aug 11, 10:40 AM
    • 972 Posts
    • 5,067 Thanks
    Tink_04
    oh and totally agree with the OS board we batch cook and freeze meals and meal plan like mad!!!
    our favorites is Lasanage (cook two at a time portion up into 4 portions each get 8 portions in total - eat some for tea freeze the rest) same with chilli, spag bol, meat balls - we get the foil tubs big enough for one portion or the bigger ones for 2 3 or 4 portions and freeze in them - great for when you have days of cant be bothered to cook just take it out on a morning ready for tea!
    2 savings challenge
    • FireWyrm
    • By FireWyrm 19th Aug 11, 11:23 AM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 12,150 Thanks
    FireWyrm
    As well as all the other excellent suggestions. I also have a saving fund for takeaways. We're allowed one a month that is budgeted for and no more. I have cash on hand for this purpose and it's locked (literally, it has a key, I dont carry the money) away in a tin until I need it.

As for getting rid of the credit card, I can understand how this would be difficult. It feels like a safety blanket at the moment, but all it's doing is burning a hole in your wallet. Try leaving it at home, just dont carry it. You cant use it if you dont have it on you in the first place. This is a good half-way house towards actually cutting it up. You still have it, you just cant use it for 'accidental' purchases.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
    • Firewalker
    • By Firewalker 19th Aug 11, 11:35 AM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 17,058 Thanks
    Firewalker
    Hi Noodles86, have a look at this - may help with putting some order in your spending and mainly with getting rid of compulsion.

http://www.themoneyprinciple.co.uk/2011/exercise-one-master-your-wants/

Firewalker
    • babysteps24
    • By babysteps24 19th Aug 11, 11:38 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    babysteps24
    why not sign up to the No spend day challenge, you pledge to not spend money on a certain number of days. My first time doing it, I said 15 NSD's this month, so far have 7 and will get my 8th today, maked you think twice about spending money
    • lindsayg
    • By lindsayg 19th Aug 11, 12:06 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    lindsayg
    Make it a challenge to see how little you can spend. So when you deny yourself something (like the mascara), instead of it being a let down or disappointment, it becomes a victory that you walked away.

Make not spending into a buzz, instead of it being a drag!
    challenges : AFD : SNC :
    Ebay/ Amazon : 29 + 6 +
    • lindsayg
    • By lindsayg 19th Aug 11, 12:11 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    lindsayg
    Oh, one other thing I do when I'm really broke is to have something that I do spend on, so life isn't a grind of low-grade stuff that makes me feel totally poor.

In my case, I buy decent coffee, and scrimp on everything else. So however skint I am, I can still sit down to a really good cup of coffee..

Decide for yourself what thing will make you feel luxurious, and not broke, then buy that one thing from the 'luxury' shelf, and make everything else basics.

Another trick that works is to keep the nice packaging, but decant the cheap stuff into it. So say you are buying cheap shampoo, pour it into the empty Radox bottle you saved. Or if you are getting own brand jaffa cakes, put them into a fancy biscuit tin, or an actual jaffa cake packet.

I have been broke a lot, and lived on the dole, or on minimum wage in the past. These are the kind of little mind games I play on myself to make the grind more pleasant. Which means that I don't need to keep treating myself with tat, which is basically what you are doing.

Good luck!!

ps: there is another thread where ppl post little things they do each day to save a few pence. Maybe if you joined in that challenge it would spur you on to see saving as fun?
    challenges : AFD : SNC :
    Ebay/ Amazon : 29 + 6 +
  • Memory Girl
    Almost same position as you - was on basic benefits with two littlies. What I used to do was allocate 5.00 every week to building up a decent store cupboard. So my "shopping" urges were utilised in finding the best use for my 5.00 every week.

A few months later I have a store cupboard of basics that could keep us going for nearly a year, my last remaining debt is almost gone (it was 10K BTW) and my "friends" on here have just challenged me to jump in on the "mortgage free in 3" challenge.

I gave myself permission to spend a little - and in the process have "saved" a fortune.

MG
    FINALLY AND OFFICIALLY DEBT FREE

Small Emergency Fund 500 / 500
    Pay off all Debts 10,000 / 10,000
    Grown Up Emergency Fund 6000 / 6000
    Pension Provision 6688/2376
  • sevenpounds03
    ha i acctually did that last night when vanquis increased my limit to 1000 and i thought it was waaay too tempting
  • jellybean39

I like what a good idea!!!! lol
    Mum 30k/29000
    BC1 11500/11300
    BC2 10500/10300
    BC3 6500/6400 NW 950/800 Next 600/450
    Here we go a again!!! DFD Oct 2016 hopefully!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,916Posts Today

10,537Users online

Martin's Twitter