Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 16th Aug 11, 11:00 AM
    • 5,799Posts
    • 47,831Thanks
    Igamogam
    Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash. Part The Third !
    • 16th Aug 11, 11:00 AM
    Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash. Part The Third ! 16th Aug 11 at 11:00 AM
    Part many !!

If you have just come to this diary please skip to post 1420 ish! Dont endure over 70 pages of my drivel. I have ridden the debt roller coaster for over 10 years.........had a hiccup but hopefully back to it now

Part 9 FFS! - when I question do I really need MSE anymore If you dont what to plough through the whole sorry tale just jump to post 1094

Part 8 - and now into 2015 with a bit more determination!

If you are dropping in here for the first time you could skip to post 914 which takes you to plans for 2015! I like to keep all my diary together rather than being a serial new diary starter! I am a slow burner and a bit of a procrastinator but 2014 was a good year for reducing the debt and I feel a bit more in control of things.......onwards and upwards

Part 7 - reassessment and re-evaluation - starts posts 798
    Which is what happens when you realise your debt hasn't decreased by much despite lots effort and your health is threatened.
    Part 6 begins on post 586!
    There can be found a list of goals for 2014!
    And now part 5..............
    My life revolves around an academic calendar so I always feel at this time of the year I get another bite at the cherry of New Year Resolutions.......lucky me So with that in mind I have been running things through my head again so skip through if you wish to last page to see where I got to

Part 4 - would you believe!
    As I am purist and like to keep al my thoughts in one place then I am just updating the first post of my rambling diary. Skip to the last page to avoid the being bored! I am not quite sure what happened to 2012...........I have stutterered and stumbled along with 'stuff 'getting in the way and stingers been thrown across my path. The last 3 months have been bl00dy hell - work related bl00dy hell. And yet despite it all the debt has gone down although not as much as I had hoped. New Year resolutions apart I am determined to make more of a dent in this debt thing this year - just need to get over its an odd numbered year and I dont like odd numbers - think its my only wierdy foible So jump forward to post 342 - I have jotted down a few ideas there on how I am going to tackle things in 2013 including colouring squares - oops another wierdy thing

Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash. Part The Third for the rest of 2012!!!!!!!!!

Head in the sand for too long so I am off again. If you are new then really you can skip to the last page unless you really want to read my burbles of the last 12 months or so....... Anyway here I am again and rather than start a shiny new thread and deny I was ever going to get myself sorted I thought I would just jump back on here,bring it up to date and hopefully start again without too many 'what ifs' and if onlys'! So jump to post 246 with me and lets get started again

Below is where I started 12 months ago or so and my New Year kick-start......if you are interested only!

I am going to kick-start my DFW diary again, rather than start a new one for 2012. I did have my LBM back in the summer and it was a bit of a slow low energy one – all which documented below if you really wanted to wade through it. I really did grasp the nettle - armfuls and I really did make inroads but as many on these forums say it’s a roller coaster ride; high and lows with accompanying enthusiasm. A couple of unexpected bills and a bit of a drawn out illness ( I don’t do poorly very well) floored me for a while so I took a back seat and decided to lurk and follow and post sometimes on others fascinating journeys, picking up tips and inspiration along the way. I can honestly say we haven’t ended the year any worse off…..well if I sat down and did the figures I would have a better picture. We have certainly curbed our spending a bit and cut back in some areas. I have got a clearer picture now of how I am going to tackle all this……………….

2012 I feel will be a strange year for me which I will expand on no doubt as I post more. I am more determined now, than I was back in August to, ‘deal with the rash’. Tomorrow I will post my plans, lists, lists of lists and hopes for the new year. I am happy to babble to myself but also happy to listen to others, so pop in if you want.

Just leaves me to say Blwyddyn Newydd Dda pawb. Happy New Year everybody. Here’s to 2012

BELOW IS WHERE I STARTED IN AUGUST 2011. Skip to post 96 for the 2012 start

Until yesterday I hadn’t had a LBM, more of a low energy dim glow type moment. It’s been there in the background, that I really needed to get a grip with the finances. Being in education this is a good time of year the ‘new year’ in September always feels like a second chance at resolutions
    So I found myself here. I joined a couple of ‘fun challenges’ just to keep me focussed and started reading other people stories. Lots seemed to start with a declutter and that is now well under way – the ‘purge’ has been quite energising I have to say and is a work in progress!
    Yesterday had been designated paperwork day and I knew this would be when it hit home just how bad it was. Sitting in the garden with the cats chasing butterflies I sifted through the paper,filed,recycled,shredded and finally reached for the calculator. That was when the 150w bulb switched on. On a gloriously warm day I was suddenly very cold and then felt strangely excited………very odd. Last night was not sleepless and this morning I began to worry that I wasn’t taking all this seriously enough. Now I feel quite calm. I am sure its because I have finally decided to deal with it. No looking back and slipping into bad habits. There are ways and means to get rid of the rash and I am determined to do it.
    I have decided that I will not be putting the figures on here. I will keep my own record and possibly write up the percentage my debt has reduced every now and then. However if you are interested here is a flavour: Including my mortgage, rounded up debt is £38000. Mortgage will be finished in 3 years and is a joint debt with my OH so I will not be including it in my DF efforts. The 150w moment? My CC debts are bigger than the outstanding mortgage that’s what made me shudder.
    Well, the opening page to my DFD; first step and I feel confident I will add to it when I can and I hope you will pop in now and then to see how things are going
    Last edited by Igamogam; 06-01-2019 at 5:15 PM. Reason: UPDATING FOR 2019
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
Page 75
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 18th Mar 19, 8:30 AM
    • 2,328 Posts
    • 14,851 Thanks
    redofromstart
    That is brilliant Igamogam, do you think it is just the spreadsheet focussing you? My mum swears by writing everything down, and she is the most in control of finances person I know.
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 19th Mar 19, 2:30 PM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 47,831 Thanks
    Igamogam
    That is brilliant Igamogam, do you think it is just the spreadsheet focussing you? My mum swears by writing everything down, and she is the most in control of finances person I know.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Could be....no idea really but it is the only thing I have changed....I did bite the bullet and put my very big very expensive OD onto a 0% BT card but the cost of the OD - £100/month ish - I have just transferred to pay off the card so outgoings the same there. I am enjoying it whatever the reason!
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 23rd Mar 19, 7:13 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Just catching up....keep on living the dream Wonderful to read about how it’s all working for you

Have a great weekend
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [ 31% Feb 54% March ] 2019 Income Goal £71/£750 April Goals: AFDs 4/25 Decluttering 04/60; LSDs x/10; NSDs x/10 Exercise in April RT 10k, 3/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 24th Mar 19, 11:20 AM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 47,831 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Yesterday saw me come in well under weekly food budget and I did it without a list! Lots in fridge/freezers/cupboards that need using up so we will not starve. Last night was HM Coronation Chicken with baked potatoes - haven't had potatoes for weeks - tasted so much better for it! Tonight its HM breaded fried fish with HM tartar sauce peas and OH will have new potatoes. I have made a flabby broccoli, celery and Stilton ( from freezer) soup which I will use for lunches for week ahead and plan for rest of week is to have salmon,HM cheese burgers, a cheese omelette will make an appearance at some point along with a leek and butter bean chunky soup and various salad/veg accompaniments........really need to find something to make with a heap of sweet peppers - bought more and already had plenty in fridge....the perils of not 'shopping' from the stores first and not taking a list Just put all this on here as really had not made meal plan this week so while I was thinking about it I thought I would get it down

Spreadsheets filled in. Change pots filled. Envelopes added to. Sun is shining...washing is flapping in the line......and all is right with the world....well this little corner

Big charity fundraiser next weekend which I help organise so from the minute I get off here to this time next week I am going to be very busy.....feeling confident
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 26th Mar 19, 11:20 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Sounding tip top, go you
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [ 31% Feb 54% March ] 2019 Income Goal £71/£750 April Goals: AFDs 4/25 Decluttering 04/60; LSDs x/10; NSDs x/10 Exercise in April RT 10k, 3/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 27th Mar 19, 6:18 PM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 47,831 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Finally, after all these years, I filled in a snowball...........think I can do better than it says but it looks as if I am on track!
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 3rd Apr 19, 11:13 AM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 47,831 Thanks
    Igamogam
    A few pennies short of a £100 of sales of 'stuff' at weekend Not too shabby.
    I may have to break my self imposed 'no buying clothes in 2019' as I need a new swimming costume - lost weight so it no longer fits - slips off shoulders and when I do my weekly HiiT class in the pool it is in danger of coming off completely My take on it is that its not 'clothing 'as such and as I have made a bit of extra money its biting into the hard earned cash I have my eye on one...........

Otherwise all ok so far for the first quarter of 2019
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 4th Apr 19, 1:46 PM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 47,831 Thanks
    Igamogam
    De cluttering........One CS bin bag at a time
    One eb*y listing at a time.........
    One fr**gle listing at a time..........
    One FB post at a time........
    One trip to recycle centre at a time........
    Nothing to landfill
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 9th Apr 19, 10:06 AM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 47,831 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Yes I caved and bought new swimwear.......expensive but meets all my needs and principles. Ethically made and independent maker. Used the money 'gained' from sales so dont feel too bad

I have lusted after an item of clothing that I really dont need....something that suits my personality but I thought I was too old for really.....DD2 didnt seem to think so and bought it for me for Mothers Day Arrived yesterday. Love it! And I am not too old...age is just a number and all that!

Otherwise on money front all OK. I set a target of at least 4K paid off CCs this year almost of a third of a way to that already so very pleased

I am having another ruthless declutter day today concentrating on bedroom. Going to be brave and ditch some clothes now weight is dropping
    Last edited by Igamogam; 09-04-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 9th Apr 19, 2:33 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Sounds brilliant! Well done and like the sound of the new cossie.

have a great Easter hols x
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 13th Apr 19, 12:12 PM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 47,831 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Sounds brilliant! Well done and like the sound of the new cossie.

have a great Easter hols x
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Sadly the cossie is going back.........style and cut doesnt suit me but I am going to try one of their other styles Going to have to do the next HIIT class with shoulder straps tied together

Nothing to report really. Didnt get the bedroom declutter done....ran out of time and energy...my fault. Anyway got 13 work days off now so no excuses

Planning a great deal of vitamin 'sea' and N this holiday
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 16th Apr 19, 12:16 PM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 47,831 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Had a deep tissue sport therapy massage yesterday....wow that released some stuff including stuff that I didn't realise need releasing Not something I could afford very often but I am looking at the offset health benefits............every couple of months maybe, until I can find my own 'maintenance' regime. Certainly the more movement and flexibility I get back the better I feel and the more energy I have. Losing weight steadily. Body shape changing. Money in the bank - actual and metaphorical All good ATM
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 16th Apr 19, 5:38 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Wow! that's great. My last massage was a bit meh, I like the heavy pressure stuff. Glad its working and as you say a good investment in your health.

I am also unable to start decluttering...too much prevarication ...I always seem to find something alternatively more urgent to do!
    • astrocytic kitten
    • By astrocytic kitten 16th Apr 19, 6:33 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    astrocytic kitten
    Massages are so wonderful, glad you’re feeling the benefit. They really are so good for your health.
    Total debt: £21,475 (Apr 2019) / £23,167 (Dec 2018)
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 16th Apr 19, 7:53 PM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 47,831 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Wow! that's great. My last massage was a bit meh, I like the heavy pressure stuff. Glad its working and as you say a good investment in your health.

I am also unable to start decluttering...too much prevarication ...I always seem to find something alternatively more urgent to do!
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Think it might enforced decluttering here for a few days......A procedure on knees means I am forced to rest up for a few days......gentle clearing out Ok......but no heavy lifting,excercise classes and long walks.......going to be a difficult few days
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 17th Apr 19, 11:24 AM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 47,831 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Incapacitated......hate it!
    • astrocytic kitten
    • By astrocytic kitten 17th Apr 19, 11:33 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    astrocytic kitten
    I’m sorry, are you in pain or just stuck laid up? Good luck with getting through it!
    Total debt: £21,475 (Apr 2019) / £23,167 (Dec 2018)
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Apr 19, 11:42 AM
    • 2,328 Posts
    • 14,851 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hope you recover quickly!
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 17th Apr 19, 4:36 PM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 47,831 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Thank you good people of MSE..... moving better now and filled myself with pain killers and caught up on TV Off to talk this evening on 'gut health'.....particularly interested in anti inflammatory stuff Tomorrow normal activity will resume assuming I sleep tonight

Spent time filling in spreadsheet and snowball calculator - not liking that so much if I am honest........not sure why it suggests piling as much on the highest interest even though that is at 0% for next 30 months must be a physiological thing I guess...to see a debt paid off. I am going to heap as much as I can on the smallest CC and get paid off first I think.........well that was me musing earlier....I over pay it all anyway......something to re look at methinks.......I am quickly bored

Really must get my sh!t together and get on Eb*y whilst I have got a free few days..........have been feeling sorry for myself to day
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 18th Apr 19, 10:35 AM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 47,831 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Much more mobile today and the the sun is out and warm

Just back from picking up new glasses have had to go to the dreaded varifocal things - not quite varifocal - called ergo something...........so far I am hating them. Was told to give them a try over weekend and come back Tuesday if not happy........hmmm £246 not happy ATM!

Having a break from technology too for a few days - just here for a few mins to test run the glasses!

All shopping done - no shops no tech until next week now

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

36Posts Today

1,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin