Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 16th Aug 11, 12:00 PM
    • 5,539Posts
    • 45,319Thanks
    Igamogam
    Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash. Part The Third !
    • 16th Aug 11, 12:00 PM
    Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash. Part The Third ! 16th Aug 11 at 12:00 PM
    Part 9 FFS! - when I question do I really need MSE anymore If you dont what to plough through the whole sorry tale just jump to post 1094

Part 8 - and now into 2015 with a bit more determination!

If you are dropping in here for the first time you could skip to post 914 which takes you to plans for 2015! I like to keep all my diary together rather than being a serial new diary starter! I am a slow burner and a bit of a procrastinator but 2014 was a good year for reducing the debt and I feel a bit more in control of things.......onwards and upwards

Part 7 - reassessment and re-evaluation - starts posts 798
    Which is what happens when you realise your debt hasn't decreased by much despite lots effort and your health is threatened.
    Part 6 begins on post 586!
    There can be found a list of goals for 2014!
    And now part 5..............
    My life revolves around an academic calendar so I always feel at this time of the year I get another bite at the cherry of New Year Resolutions.......lucky me So with that in mind I have been running things through my head again so skip through if you wish to last page to see where I got to

Part 4 - would you believe!
    As I am purist and like to keep al my thoughts in one place then I am just updating the first post of my rambling diary. Skip to the last page to avoid the being bored! I am not quite sure what happened to 2012...........I have stutterered and stumbled along with 'stuff 'getting in the way and stingers been thrown across my path. The last 3 months have been bl00dy hell - work related bl00dy hell. And yet despite it all the debt has gone down although not as much as I had hoped. New Year resolutions apart I am determined to make more of a dent in this debt thing this year - just need to get over its an odd numbered year and I dont like odd numbers - think its my only wierdy foible So jump forward to post 342 - I have jotted down a few ideas there on how I am going to tackle things in 2013 including colouring squares - oops another wierdy thing

Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash. Part The Third for the rest of 2012!!!!!!!!!

Head in the sand for too long so I am off again. If you are new then really you can skip to the last page unless you really want to read my burbles of the last 12 months or so....... Anyway here I am again and rather than start a shiny new thread and deny I was ever going to get myself sorted I thought I would just jump back on here,bring it up to date and hopefully start again without too many 'what ifs' and if onlys'! So jump to post 246 with me and lets get started again

Below is where I started 12 months ago or so and my New Year kick-start......if you are interested only!

I am going to kick-start my DFW diary again, rather than start a new one for 2012. I did have my LBM back in the summer and it was a bit of a slow low energy one !!!8211; all which documented below if you really wanted to wade through it. I really did grasp the nettle - armfuls and I really did make inroads but as many on these forums say it!!!8217;s a roller coaster ride; high and lows with accompanying enthusiasm. A couple of unexpected bills and a bit of a drawn out illness ( I don!!!8217;t do poorly very well) floored me for a while so I took a back seat and decided to lurk and follow and post sometimes on others fascinating journeys, picking up tips and inspiration along the way. I can honestly say we haven!!!8217;t ended the year any worse off!!!8230;..well if I sat down and did the figures I would have a better picture. We have certainly curbed our spending a bit and cut back in some areas. I have got a clearer picture now of how I am going to tackle all this!!!8230;!!!8230;!!!8230;!!!8230;!!!8230;!!!8230;.

2012 I feel will be a strange year for me which I will expand on no doubt as I post more. I am more determined now, than I was back in August to, !!!8216;deal with the rash!!!8217;. Tomorrow I will post my plans, lists, lists of lists and hopes for the new year. I am happy to babble to myself but also happy to listen to others, so pop in if you want.

Just leaves me to say Blwyddyn Newydd Dda pawb. Happy New Year everybody. Here!!!8217;s to 2012

BELOW IS WHERE I STARTED IN AUGUST 2011. Skip to post 96 for the 2012 start

Until yesterday I hadn!!!8217;t had a LBM, more of a low energy dim glow type moment. It!!!8217;s been there in the background, that I really needed to get a grip with the finances. Being in education this is a good time of year the !!!8216;new year!!!8217; in September always feels like a second chance at resolutions
    So I found myself here. I joined a couple of !!!8216;fun challenges!!!8217; just to keep me focussed and started reading other people stories. Lots seemed to start with a declutter and that is now well under way !!!8211; the !!!8216;purge!!!8217; has been quite energising I have to say and is a work in progress!
    Yesterday had been designated paperwork day and I knew this would be when it hit home just how bad it was. Sitting in the garden with the cats chasing butterflies I sifted through the paper,filed,recycled,shredded and finally reached for the calculator. That was when the 150w bulb switched on. On a gloriously warm day I was suddenly very cold and then felt strangely excited!!!8230;!!!8230;!!!8230;very odd. Last night was not sleepless and this morning I began to worry that I wasn!!!8217;t taking all this seriously enough. Now I feel quite calm. I am sure its because I have finally decided to deal with it. No looking back and slipping into bad habits. There are ways and means to get rid of the rash and I am determined to do it.
    I have decided that I will not be putting the figures on here. I will keep my own record and possibly write up the percentage my debt has reduced every now and then. However if you are interested here is a flavour: Including my mortgage, rounded up debt is £38000. Mortgage will be finished in 3 years and is a joint debt with my OH so I will not be including it in my DF efforts. The 150w moment? My CC debts are bigger than the outstanding mortgage that!!!8217;s what made me shudder.
    Well, the opening page to my DFD; first step and I feel confident I will add to it when I can and I hope you will pop in now and then to see how things are going
    Last edited by Igamogam; 10-01-2016 at 1:33 PM. Reason: UPDATING FOR 2016
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
Page 69
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 19th Jan 18, 5:32 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 45,319 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Sorry to hear about your beloved family pet Igamogam. They do become such an integral part of your life. I know its early days but are you going to adopt another eventually?
    Take care
    NOA
    x
    Originally posted by NoOneAround
    Oh yes we will..later on in the year when I can give it more time....although his partner in crime is fretting a little and is very clingy so may have to think sooner rather than later

We had a card from the vet to today - condolences. Thought it was a little twee at first but on reflection is was a nice gesture. We have always taken out pets to the same practice - small family husband and wife team. I would rather give them our custom than an impersonal chain.
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 19th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 45,319 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Got home from work and there was still light in the sky......

Got home from work to find heating on full blast and log burner roaring - nice and warm - but OH wrapped up in his down jacket saying he feels cold and ill and could I find him something to take..........I guess he meant Lems!p and not a long walk
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 26th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 45,319 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Pay day.......its been a long 6 weeks
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 26th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 45,319 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Managed to get out today in sunshine and stretch the legs - just havent been able to for a while - RL conspiring against me. Tomorrow more leg stretching and fresh air as I am joining a local beach clean operation - been today for my walk and the place definitely needs it First time in my 2 years of doing my own personal beach cleans I was joined by someone walking their dogs who was interested in what I was "collecting" They were happy to do their bit and vowed they would every time they came to beach from now on Usually I just get strange looks
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 27th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 45,319 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Shopping and beach clean done - wild wet and windy....the beach that is!
    Also got car cleaned inside and out whilst shopping - its a bit of a luxury but I resent the time it takes if I do it myself so I have it done every 4-6 weeks and flick a cloth round and dust pan brush round in between if 1. it needs it 2. I remember or 3. I can be bothered. Life is just to short to be too car proud

Setting budgets for February and doing a couple of BTs - just going to pay minimum off those for next few months and hurl money at a CC I have a low rate for LOB........just to see what impact it makes. I am considering putting my 2 AVCs on hold for 12 months too and chucking that money at the CCs - will seek advice on that and look at figures. Change pots are filling up and once full I will throw that at LOB CC too. Any Eba*y money I may well squirrel away into EF. Couple of surveys coming up to payout and we are surviving on £60/week shopping budget - still eating out of freezer. ATM I cant think I can do anything else to lower this debt. Hopefully by April I will begin to see some changes - or not and then re assess............never seems to end
    Last edited by Igamogam; 28-01-2018 at 10:38 PM.
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 28th Jan 18, 9:39 PM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 8,416 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Well done on getting a beach clean convert - It would be wonderful if everyone did their little bit.
    The sunshine here today worked wonders - it was cold but very still.
    Garden beginning to wake up, snowdrops in full bloom

Totally agree about the car - mine is in dire need of a full clean inside and out, no point until the weather is drier though.

NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 28th Jan 18, 10:50 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 45,319 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Well done on getting a beach clean convert - It would be wonderful if everyone did their little bit.
    The sunshine here today worked wonders - it was cold but very still.
    Garden beginning to wake up, snowdrops in full bloom

Totally agree about the car - mine is in dire need of a full clean inside and out, no point until the weather is drier though.

NOA
    x
    Originally posted by NoOneAround
    Cant wait until its light when I get home from work so I can get straight onto beach - limited to weekends and work at home days at the moment. I am becoming quite the expert on beach plastic pollution and other finds
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 31st Jan 18, 12:24 PM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 8,416 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    So you did "plogging" before it became the latest trend from Scandinavia
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 2nd Feb 18, 9:20 PM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 35,693 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Glad you've got a plan re the BTs...I have just done one to clear the holiday spends from the big trip away. We paid for a lot upfront but there is always something when its 4 plus weeks and there are 4 of you I guess. Didn't like it, but is definitely the best option and means its all in one place and I can do a payment plan over the next 6 months.

Bay of E isn't great for us at the moment..£20 I think in January. Probably got more via TCB!! so might give up. Want to declutter though and its always sensible to try and sell first.

Sorry to hear you lost your family animal friend always so sad and just picking up on your horrendous loss of your friend in the Autumn. Terribly shocking. I think youre so right to be thinking of your future and whether you can retire earlier rather than later...look into it and see whether you can make the break..(the frogs can be found a new teacher (and maybe a new IiC can be found for them too ) .....and thanks again for looking after our planet with your beach cleaning xx
    Last edited by brizzledfw; 02-02-2018 at 9:25 PM.
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 8th Feb 18, 8:49 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 45,319 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Off work now until 19th Having a lazy Thursday evening with catch up TV and the log burner..........great feeling to down tools for a while
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 9th Feb 18, 8:34 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 45,319 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Have just been prompted to update password as it is more than so many days old and now all hell has been let loose........cant access anything and it keeps telling me I have put in wrong password

ETA: well this post worked........gremlins!
    • Flying By
    • By Flying By 9th Feb 18, 10:23 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Flying By
    Yes! Me too. Cannot remember anything so have changed everything but no doubt will forget it all by tomorrow...... doh! Fed up with passwords....
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 13th Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 45,319 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Strange that it may seem I have never really looked closely at how much tax I pay.........today I did......bloody hell! With that and NI contributions, pension contributions..........I just hope it's worth it when I retire

Slapped the money I made from clothing and book weigh in and some sales on Eb*y onto a LOB CC I have......about £50 altogether. Also changed 3 old £coins at bank and included that......I considered them a "gain"
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 4th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 45,319 Thanks
    Igamogam
    I survived the Big Freeze and all the commotion Ill in bed all week with nasty flu bug - only second time in my life I have had it and it completely floored me. Entire family away for week too - in real snow doing winter sports......just me the cat a box of pain killers and catch up TV.

Today is first day upright and dressed in a week. Feel exhausted and doc has signed me off work until end of next week Trying to catch up now but not going to over do it!
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 4th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 35,693 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Oh poor you Ig. Hope you feel much better soon and glad the doc has signed you off.

Don't over do it..thats an MSE order

xx
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 10th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 45,319 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Well kind of back in the land of the living........returned to work on Friday and was completely wiped at the end of the day. Enforced "not doing much" means no spending anyway and a massive £140 saved on travel costs
    Electric bill is coming down slowly each month as I have been hyper vigilant on the use of said stuff and now solar panels are kicking in again monthly bill should start a steep decline
    Small sales on Eb*y - all help I guess but I havent felt up to doing mammoth listings. I have a charity fundraiser sale next weekend which I help organise so will be selling stuff at that - hope to make £100 for myself...maybe...fingers crossed.
    Change pots are filling up so in a couple of weeks I will be down at the bank annoying the staff with my bags of money - this lot will all go on a CC bill

Havent really got much else to report. OH is out tonight - a friend of his wedding bash - I wasnt invited but then I wasnt expected to be! Looking forward to having a Saturday night to myself. He will be back tomorrow but DD2 and I are going out to lunch - her treat - no OH and no BF for a change - just the 2 of us and that will be nice
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 10th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 35,693 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Hope you have a lovely Mother's Day lunch with DD...and glad you're feeling a bit better xx
    Last edited by brizzledfw; 11-03-2018 at 3:49 PM.
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 10th Mar 18, 5:24 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 45,319 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Hope you have a lovely Mother!!!8217;s Day lunch with DD...and glad you!!!8217;re feeling a bit better xx
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    What is it with the numbers......that glitch still not fixed??
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 11th Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 35,693 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Seems not - only occurs when posting from an Apple device. I was told a workaround but that means turning off predictive text which is not always convenient I guess. Often I go back and change it.but seems not on this post - sorry!

Hope you had a nice lunch
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 11th Mar 18, 3:50 PM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 35,693 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Done xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,357Users online

Martin's Twitter