Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Sarah75
    Reasons to be cheerful
    • 11th Aug 11, 11:46 AM
    Reasons to be cheerful 11th Aug 11 at 11:46 AM
    Hello everyone,

I know that you'll understand when I say that although I'm dealing with my debt and finally feel confident about the future, there are still days when I feel miserable that I let myself get in this state. I also know that many of you feel the same way so I thought it might be useful to have list of reasons why we should be feeling better about ourselves. So I'll get started.

Reasons to be cheerful #1: We are living within our means.

This is the first time since I started working (14 years ago!) that I am spending less than I earn every month. That's got to be a good thing.

So who's next?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 23-08-2011 at 6:30 PM.
    Long Haul Supporter No: 278
Page 1
  • topcat9
    • 11th Aug 11, 11:52 AM
    • 11th Aug 11, 11:52 AM
    Reasons to be cheerful *2: I never lie awake at night worrying about money these days.

First good night's sleep I'd had in months was the day we signed-up for our DMP.
    LBM August 2007
    Amount Owed 101,068.35
    Amount Owed March 2012 13,449.16
    DFD October 2013
    • Little Miss Uni-Debt
    • By Little Miss Uni-Debt 11th Aug 11, 11:57 AM
    • 832 Posts
    • 2,875 Thanks
    Little Miss Uni-Debt
    • 11th Aug 11, 11:57 AM
    • 11th Aug 11, 11:57 AM
    Reasons to be cheerful #3 - I've finally realised and accepted that more taking on more debt won't ever help me be debt free (only budgeting and paying things off will )
    Total@ LBM - Nov07 14k - Nov 08 5765 - Aug 09 3k Dec 09 998 - May 11 6900 - Jun 12 8k Sept12 7k 19.5k Done - 0k to go
    DEBT FREE! Nov 15
    Proud DFW Club Member - #1073
    '1% at a time' Member - #1!
    • backinbusiness
    • By backinbusiness 11th Aug 11, 1:06 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    backinbusiness
    • 11th Aug 11, 1:06 PM
    • 11th Aug 11, 1:06 PM
    #4 - not scared of the phone or the postman!
    DF
  • GeorgieFTB
    • 11th Aug 11, 1:09 PM
    • 11th Aug 11, 1:09 PM
    #5 - finally feeling like a grown up! (in a good way)

#6 - being able to take the moral high road with any creditor that calls!!

Gx
    Mortgage at 08/10/10: 110k
    Current Mortgage:... 109,200
    OPs 2011: 100.50/4000
    Current MFD: 02/10/45 (will be 63!!!)

Make a payment a week challenge TW 100/123.79
  • gettingbackontrack
    • 11th Aug 11, 1:30 PM
    • 11th Aug 11, 1:30 PM
    #7 - Seeing the numbers go down instead of up (in my case down from a terrifying 53,000 to the current 18,000)

As well as all the others reasons 1 to 6.

Great thread, OP. It's good to focus on the positive!!
    • toothfairybuttkicker
    • By toothfairybuttkicker 11th Aug 11, 1:47 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    toothfairybuttkicker
    • 11th Aug 11, 1:47 PM
    • 11th Aug 11, 1:47 PM
    No8. Spending time with the kids doing free fun stuff rather then dragging them round the shops!
    Only the Mortgage to go!!!
    • Smamfer
    • By Smamfer 11th Aug 11, 2:09 PM
    • 2,010 Posts
    • 53,299 Thanks
    Smamfer
    • 11th Aug 11, 2:09 PM
    • 11th Aug 11, 2:09 PM
    No 9

Reason to be cheerful,

After ignoring a debt from a buy now pay later i called them explained a bit of hardship yesterday and they offered me 50% reduction so i cleared it in full and felt lighter straight away
    ~~Gonna Buy Me A Shrimp Farm Bubba~~
    • ampafc
    • By ampafc 11th Aug 11, 3:09 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    ampafc
    • 11th Aug 11, 3:09 PM
    • 11th Aug 11, 3:09 PM
    Lovely thread

#10. knowing that after a certain day of the month passes (in my case the 1st), I am free to do with my money what I wish as all payments and repayments are made.
  • DizzyDizzy
    OK slightly off topic and a bit sentimental but...

11# Everytime I look at my kids I am grateful to have two happy healthy kids..... So yes we have to scrimp a bit 'til the DMP is finished but compared to others I am very very lucky ....
  • 32rclint95
    I agree with Sarah in that it feels great to spend less than I make and save some for retirement.

#12 - I have a loving family that has stuck with me through thick and thin. I am healthy and full of energy, that's definitely something to be happy about as well.
    • rdchick
    • By rdchick 11th Aug 11, 5:42 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 4,732 Thanks
    rdchick
    #13 knowing that once the debt has been paid your wages will be yours to do as you wish with!
    Life is too short not to love what you do.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 11th Aug 11, 6:07 PM
    • 7,035 Posts
    • 41,501 Thanks
    determined new ms
    we struggled with debt for years & finally cleared it off last Oct - things to be cheerful since:

#14 I now know how to manage my money, save for what I want & can afford what I buy

and today #15 I just found out my lovely oh has bought me a book I have been wanting to read for ages & there is about a 10 yr waiting list for it at the library!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • Chrisblue1962
    • By Chrisblue1962 11th Aug 11, 6:21 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    Chrisblue1962
    Thank You to you all
    Just reading this thread has cheered me up.

I'm on a DMP with at least 10 years to go until I'm debt free and was feeling fed up earlier this week.

This thread shows that loads of people are turning things around, sorting out their debts and improving their and their loved ones lives.

Well Done to you all and Thank You for cheering me up
    ...it's payday on Monday and I'm still within my budget (just ).
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - 18,499
    26th December 2017 -
    14,554.00 - 21.3% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!!
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

• Sarah75
    Just thought of another...

#16 Appreciating what I have

I used to go out and buy whatever I wanted without thinking about it, mostly on credit, but it got to a point when I didn't value anything or really appreciate anything. I'm lucky enough to be going on holiday in a few weeks and for the first time in years I've not paid for it on credit and I won't be taking a credit card with me. For my spends I have a pre-paid card that I learnt about on the MSE site and the remainder is in cash. The best thing is I won't feel guilty when I come back and the bills start rolling in because there won't be any bills I may even bring some money back with me which will be a novelty
    Long Haul Supporter No: 278
    • brenda10
    • By brenda10 17th Aug 11, 7:30 AM
    • 317 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    brenda10
    6 years ago I lost my job and was plunged into debt (from 24,000 yr salary to 5,000yr) My husband worked to a local council for 200 wk wage. Before my job loss I never checked prices but never wasted. I never haggled or spent long enough checking the best price for house/car insurance etc. We had a 60,000 mortgage. Over the past 6 yrs I have purchased 2nd hand everything incl clothes etc, I have still had the latest fashion for a great price. Bought tesco value and Lidl foods=great quality/low price. We still have our 1998 peugeot 306 going well with 200,000 miles on the clock. I am moving towards debt free. I didn't pay my mortgage off yet but put the money I saved over the past 6 yrs(48,000) into a 4.2% savings account for 5 yrs making 170 mth versus 52.50 per month interest on mortgage=118 profit in not paying my mortgage off just yet. I have scrimped and saved but little by little I have got there and am now just 12,000 away from being debt free. Never give up, look at the bigger picture. Our mortgage still has 9 yrs to run until my husband is 69. Everything is possible. Martin has guided me through rough waters, he is my HERO.
    Thanks Martin
    Last edited by brenda10; 17-08-2011 at 7:35 AM. Reason: ammendments
  • marksmith001
    Hi everyone, New on this forum and have no idea about this.
  • dell33
    No8. Spending time with the kids doing free fun stuff rather then dragging them round the shops!
    Originally posted by toothfairybuttkicker
    yes that is so good, says she who is heading off to the beach for the afternoon with the kids with a box of pringles (half price at the moment) and a bottle of orange pop. Simple pleasures. If I was to bring them to the cinema & buy goodies I wouldnt have much change from 50 quid.
  • dell33
    This is such a wonderful thread. We are also on a mission to reduce our debts and being a lot more frugal, what I like most about it is the effect it has on our kids, especially our teenagers. They appreciate what they got so much more now every one is being more frugal. I like seeing them being careful with their money. My DD is now using webtexts to send her text messages because her free txts have run out and she wants to hang onto what credit she has left.

My DS is 17 and has not managed to pick up a summer job, we give him a tenner a week for doing jobs, he cuts grass for a neighbour and has got some money from his grandparents. He has managed to save enough to buy a new phone this summer and still have some left over.

I also love the fact they expect a lot less from you which makes my life less stressful. Nice to go back to simple pleasures with the kids and it makes them a lot less like spoilt brats.
  • rockstar44
    Answering the phone when it rings without worrying that it's someone asking for money! That's a great feeling!

Infact someone phoned yesterday to ask if I needed 'help' with my debt! No thank you I'm managing fine!

Can't wait for the phone call when I can say ' What Debt?'
    i wish my bank account could keep up with my Rockstar Lifestle!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,722Posts Today

10,009Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin