Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,184Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1249
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 11th Oct 18, 8:06 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    swingaloo
    Not what I would call a 'HIGHLY EXECUTIVE FINISH' as the estate agent calls it, but then again it does have a Large brick paved DIVE (albeit full of weeds) and a LAW area at the back (which probably hasn't seen a mower this year.
    However it does have an exceedingly high wall cupboard in the kitchen and the Gym really has wow factor.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76025909.html
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 11th Oct 18, 8:14 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    swingaloo
    The house looks great, if dubiously decorated.

The image over the fireplace has a touch of Henri Rousseau about it, I thought.
    Originally posted by Ocelot
    Wow. I can almost imagine Lloyd Grossman wandering round saying 'Who would live in a house like this'. Love the estate agent blurb though, tells you so much about the local pubs and the fishing in Hastings etc that you almost forget about the house.
    Wouldn't like to start putting my own stamp on that one!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Oct 18, 8:39 PM
    • 8,963 Posts
    • 10,404 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Not what I would call a 'HIGHLY EXECUTIVE FINISH' as the estate agent calls it, but then again it does have a Large brick paved DIVE (albeit full of weeds) and a LAW area at the back (which probably hasn't seen a mower this year.
    However it does have an exceedingly high wall cupboard in the kitchen and the Gym really has wow factor.

Originally posted by swingaloo
    If they'd bought a push lawnmower they wouldn't have needed the 'gym'.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • julicorn
    • By julicorn 11th Oct 18, 10:25 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 1,791 Thanks
    julicorn
    WOW!!! MANY EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!
    I wonder if the estate agent was drunk when they wrote this one.
    Original mortgage: December 2017, 203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, 201,800
    Current: 183,900
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Oct 18, 6:58 AM
    • 17,429 Posts
    • 48,429 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

If what I'm looking at is imo "Normal for my home area" standard - but it's being described as "highly executive finish" = that's got me wondering just how bad the area is if that's that areas' definition of "highly executive"
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Oct 18, 8:28 AM
    • 24,566 Posts
    • 51,822 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    If what I'm looking at is imo "Normal for my home area" standard - but it's being described as "highly executive finish" = that's got me wondering just how bad the area is if that's that areas' definition of "highly executive"
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Think about what that would cost in your mysterious 'home area'.

It would easily be double that around here.

This is Westhoughton not West Didsbury.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Oct 18, 8:44 AM
    • 26,896 Posts
    • 96,693 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Think about what that would cost in your mysterious 'home area'.

It would easily be double that around here.

This is Westhoughton not West Didsbury.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    In my old 'home area,' which used to be a posh bit of Bath, that would be over 500k nowadays, but there's no hideous brick stuff in Bath, apart from some cheap railway workers' terraces in Widcombe.

However, my 'home area' is in Devon now, and I don't feel like a refugee, so what it would cost in Bath is irrelevant.
    Gardening is cheaper than psychotherapy.....and you get tomatoes.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Oct 18, 8:54 AM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 24,261 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    In my old 'home area,' which used to be a posh bit of Bath, that would be over 500k nowadays, but there's no hideous brick stuff in Bath, apart from some cheap railway workers' terraces in Widcombe.

However, my 'home area' is in Devon now, and I don't feel like a refugee, so what it would cost in Bath is irrelevant.
    Originally posted by Davesnave

Looks a bit dismal to me, not my kind of thing at all. Clean though, that's a plus.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Oct 18, 9:57 AM
    • 26,896 Posts
    • 96,693 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Looks a bit dismal to me.
    Originally posted by ancientofdays
    Yes, it might be ex-council, I suppose.

I'm not against brick; I used it on our conservatory....but there are many kinds of bricks, as I found out when I went to buy them. Never been so confused by something apparently so simple. Still don't know if what I chose was what I got!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Oct 18, 11:26 AM
    • 17,429 Posts
    • 48,429 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Yes, it might be ex-council, I suppose.

I'm not against brick; I used it on our conservatory....but there are many kinds of bricks, as I found out when I went to buy them. Never been so confused by something apparently so simple. Still don't know if what I chose was what I got!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Agreed.

I found that out with this house - as I was told to choose what style (ie colour etc) of brick I wanted for something and duly thought "The photo shows that type of brick used to build a home - must be sturdy etc".

To subsequently think - "Those bricks he used don't look that great quality to me. How can that be - when they've been used to build a house there?"

Then I found out that there is this concept of "seconds" bricks and I'd be willing to bet that's what he used. Well - we didn't agree "seconds bricks" - we agreed "bricks". There was no mention anywhere of them being seconds
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Oct 18, 12:02 PM
    • 24,566 Posts
    • 51,822 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Agreed.

I found that out with this house - as I was told to choose what style (ie colour etc) of brick I wanted for something and duly thought "The photo shows that type of brick used to build a home - must be sturdy etc".

To subsequently think - "Those bricks he used don't look that great quality to me. How can that be - when they've been used to build a house there?"

Then I found out that there is this concept of "seconds" bricks and I'd be willing to bet that's what he used. Well - we didn't agree "seconds bricks" - we agreed "bricks". There was no mention anywhere of them being seconds
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Another example of 'Perfidious Cambria'?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Oct 18, 12:05 PM
    • 26,896 Posts
    • 96,693 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Ah, but it was much worse in the old days.....(Click on page 163)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=PRoGuF1Ju_0C&pg=PA163&lpg=PA163&dq=Perfid %20%20ious+Cambria&source=bl&ots=eSrtG3WV2m&sig=Do ju3w78%20%2072shQLAnHp-sOuYxC8M&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj4mO7E4IDeAhVqB8AKH %20%20eAyBHYQ6AEwB3oECAEQAQ#v=onepage&q=Perfidious %20Cam%20%20bria&f=true

...and they hadn't even invented bricks then!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 12-10-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 12th Oct 18, 5:28 PM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 3,531 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    WOW!!! MANY EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!
    I wonder if the estate agent was drunk when they wrote this one.
    Originally posted by julicorn
    Maybe the EA is going for the dodgy ebay seller technique of marketing. Not quite all the way there though, they should have stared the listing with "L@@K!!!!!" for the full effect.
    • Mardle
    • By Mardle 14th Oct 18, 12:32 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    Mardle
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67705006.html

The local paper got pictures before the house clearance.
    https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/inside-amazing-time-capsule-cottage-2097953
    • dirty_magic
    • By dirty_magic 14th Oct 18, 12:47 PM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 1,870 Thanks
    dirty_magic
    Two year old egg on the stove?!
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 14th Oct 18, 1:03 PM
    • 2,121 Posts
    • 69,885 Thanks
    D_M_E
    On the righthand side of the Rightmove listing it shows one property in the area sold on 28th September 2019 will it be something converted out of the 4-bed place?
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 14th Oct 18, 1:07 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 3,324 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Off topic, but regional newspaper websites seem to be universally shockingly bad. Pretty much unusable due to the assault of pop ups and ads. My local, the Sheffield Star, is the same. I get they need the revenue, but there can't be much revenue if no one visits the sites.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Oct 18, 2:28 PM
    • 26,896 Posts
    • 96,693 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Off topic, but regional newspaper websites seem to be universally shockingly bad. Pretty much unusable due to the assault of pop ups and ads.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    Didn't see anything much ad-wise on the Grimsby site, but I use a pop up blocker.

Paper was dire though! Not a very sensitive report.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 14th Oct 18, 5:41 PM
    • 4,106 Posts
    • 6,552 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Really difficult to load that site in. But seeing as it's modern auction, listed and in need of major refurb, that's me out. I can't even be bothered to work out what a desolate window is.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 18th Oct 18, 8:50 AM
    • 7,981 Posts
    • 14,471 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Off topic, but regional newspaper websites seem to be universally shockingly bad. Pretty much unusable due to the assault of pop ups and ads. My local, the Sheffield Star, is the same. I get they need the revenue, but there can't be much revenue if no one visits the sites.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    They aren't getting the readership figures as well. Leicester Mercury is 80p a day and 85p on Saturdays. It was 25p for many years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,256Posts Today

7,001Users online

Martin's Twitter