Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,184Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1241
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Sep 18, 5:23 PM
    • 11,175 Posts
    • 9,532 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Why bother wasting a few quid on a TV stand?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55916337.html
    Originally posted by AFF8879
    One of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen! Instant kerb appeal!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 15th Sep 18, 5:58 PM
    • 7,560 Posts
    • 51,925 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Why bother wasting a few quid on a TV stand?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55916337.html
    Originally posted by AFF8879
    Or making the bed properly when you're having photos taken to try and sell something priced at 250k
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• -taff
    • By -taff 15th Sep 18, 6:23 PM
    • 8,691 Posts
    • 7,978 Thanks
    -taff
    It's probably a rental so they won't care what it looks like.
    • Lummoxley
    • By Lummoxley 16th Sep 18, 2:56 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    Lummoxley
    Shirley Porter sold three cemeteries, three lodges, one flat, a crematorium and over 12 acres of prime development land in London for a total of 85 pence. This is one of the lodges.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65308111.html

Kitchen lets it down a bit.

Edit: Just seen that the lodge took up over half of the purchase price and was sold for 45 pence.

So that's all right then.
    Last edited by Lummoxley; 16-09-2018 at 3:07 PM.
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 16th Sep 18, 8:40 PM
    • 6,190 Posts
    • 4,523 Thanks
    vansboy
    Spot the elephant...and just how many conservatories does a house need, check the floorplan for the correct answer

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-75574997.html

VB
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 16th Sep 18, 9:33 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 6,428 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I can't believe anyone would do a spot the elephant rather than go flat out for the elephant in the room ...
    • cloo
    • By cloo 17th Sep 18, 2:45 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    cloo
    Lovely flat, but talk about 50 shades of grey (I'm talking about the 'colour', not the book content, before anyone gets too excited!) , also appears to be a duplex with a ground floor and a bedroom in the eaves, so presumably the second bedroom is two storeys above the rest of the flat. Very odd.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56587077.html
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 17th Sep 18, 2:54 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Shirley Porter sold three cemeteries, three lodges, one flat, a crematorium and over 12 acres of prime development land in London for a total of 85 pence. This is one of the lodges.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65308111.html

Kitchen lets it down a bit.

Edit: Just seen that the lodge took up over half of the purchase price and was sold for 45 pence.

So that's all right then.
    Originally posted by Lummoxley

Wonder what the social scene is like, though? I'll bet it's really dead... Maybe it comes alive at night?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 17th Sep 18, 3:03 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Lovely flat, but talk about 50 shades of grey (I'm talking about the 'colour', not the book content, before anyone gets too excited!) , also appears to be a duplex with a ground floor and a bedroom in the eaves, so presumably the second bedroom is two storeys above the rest of the flat. Very odd.

Originally posted by cloo
    Wallpaper design of pictures of bookshelves. The country is officially doomed. Some of us have actual shelves with actual books on them, most of which we have actually read... I must go and milk the stegosaurus herd in a bit.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Sep 18, 3:17 PM
    • 5,221 Posts
    • 7,914 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Wallpaper design of pictures of bookshelves. The country is officially doomed. Some of us have actual shelves with actual books on them, most of which we have actually read... I must go and milk the stegosaurus herd in a bit.
    Originally posted by Smodlet

Mine is a Utahraptor.
    • SuperMoose
    • By SuperMoose 17th Sep 18, 3:19 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    SuperMoose

The flat is first and second floor despite what the floor plan says.
    Please put out food and water for the birds
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 17th Sep 18, 3:30 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Mine is a Utahraptor.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    I am sure I have heard they don't give the same yield as stegosaurus, Cakeguts. I know they don't cost as much to feed, given they hunt their own prey but I could never get them to stand still for long enough to get more than a couple of pints...
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 17th Sep 18, 3:33 PM
    • 11,175 Posts
    • 9,532 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Spot the elephant...and just how many conservatories does a house need, check the floorplan for the correct answer

VB
    Originally posted by vansboy
    Lot of bungalow for half a million
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 17th Sep 18, 3:57 PM
    • 8,819 Posts
    • 10,138 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    But the real books to take a lot of dusting, cataloguing, and rearranging. Wallpaper books are ideal for today's busy lifestyle.

Maybe the owner has them all on kindle, before you leap to judge.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 17th Sep 18, 4:36 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    Slithery

VB
    Originally posted by vansboy
    Nice from the outside and great views but it's in Great Yarmouth, there's not a single piece of decor that's not horrible, and the photos of the pool area and the floorplan just make it look like a haven for dodgy swinging parties. It looks like they even kept one of the originally external windows so you could look into one of the bedrooms from the indoor pool/bar area

OK, It would be easy enough to redecorate and get the inside looking fantastic - But you'd still be in Great Yarmouth.
    Last edited by Slithery; 17-09-2018 at 6:33 PM.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 17th Sep 18, 5:08 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I don't suppose anyone saw that documentary a few years back where Gene Simmons of the rock band Kiss was teaching kids in Great Yarmouth to play rock? He described the place as "God's waiting room." It also looks as if the property will not be there a couple of years from now... One good Spring tide and bye-bye; no thanks.
    • Ocelot
    • By Ocelot 17th Sep 18, 7:36 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    Ocelot
    It's quite expensive for Great Yarmouth. There was a 4 storey nine bedder on last year for half that, IIRC.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 17th Sep 18, 7:56 PM
    • 8,819 Posts
    • 10,138 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    It's quite expensive for Great Yarmouth. There was a 4 storey nine bedder on last year for half that, IIRC.
    Originally posted by Ocelot
    Can residents of Great Yarmouth climb stairs?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 17th Sep 18, 8:55 PM
    • 15,609 Posts
    • 132,112 Thanks
    zagubov

I read it as being the top two floors although misleadingly the floorplan mentions a ground and first floor. It must be accessed via the stairs as there's no door to the outside.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 17th Sep 18, 8:56 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    Slithery
    Originally posted by Ocelot
    There were probably a few thousand of them...

The city centre and the front are entirely made up of old B&B's and hotels that boomed decades or even centuries ago, they're all just now run down HMO's. Miserable in the winter and exploding with tourists in the summer you couldn't pay me to move back.

At least if you buy this place you can try and pretend that you're somewhere else
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

2,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin