Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 10:16 AM
    • 2,187Posts
    • 3,434Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 10:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 10:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 1:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1241
    • Ocelot
    • By Ocelot 24th Sep 18, 6:09 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    Ocelot
    A north-facing garden is only really a problem if it is shorter than the shadow thrown by the house. That one looks way longer.
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 25th Sep 18, 11:49 AM
    • 850 Posts
    • 1,669 Thanks
    Bossypants
    Weirdest floorplan, but I am genuinely impressed by how many reasonably-sized rooms they've managed to cram into what at first glance looks like it should be no more than 3 beds, 4 at the outside: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66907930.html
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 25th Sep 18, 12:34 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 4,470 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Weirdest floorplan, but I am genuinely impressed by how many reasonably-sized rooms they've managed to cram into what at first glance looks like it should be no more than 3 beds, 4 at the outside: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66907930.html
    Originally posted by Bossypants
    It is a good size but it's a bit of stretch to classify 'bedroom 5' on the floorplan as a bedroom considering it's separated from the living room by pair of glass doors. It's the same principle as marketing a 3 bed semi with separate living and dining rooms as a 4 bed property.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 25th Sep 18, 1:18 PM
    • 11,756 Posts
    • 10,186 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    The 2 kitchens don't make sense, cloakroom off a kitchen is definitely weird!
    • badger09
    • By badger09 25th Sep 18, 3:57 PM
    • 6,822 Posts
    • 6,411 Thanks
    badger09
    Looks like several generations living under the same roof, but not really wanting to share. 2 (or 3?) washing machines

Spot the flying ducks
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 25th Sep 18, 4:51 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    Shower and toilet opening directly into kitchen 2. Mmm, bacteria for dinner!
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 25th Sep 18, 5:28 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 2,263 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68160416.html#_full-description

The most transparent flood info I think I've seen.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 25th Sep 18, 6:14 PM
    • 17,561 Posts
    • 49,199 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Originally posted by RedFraggle
    What a shame re that risk - it's a nice house and I am lusting after that garden and the idea of riverside walks.
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 25th Sep 18, 7:14 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 2,263 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    What a shame re that risk - it's a nice house and I am lusting after that garden and the idea of riverside walks.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    It's beautiful along the river there. I used to live really close but that all important slightly higher up!
    • Ocelot
    • By Ocelot 25th Sep 18, 7:38 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    Ocelot
    Originally posted by RedFraggle
    Also the name of the house gives it away too! It's been on the market for over a year so maybe people are wary.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 25th Sep 18, 7:54 PM
    • 4,291 Posts
    • 6,835 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I started to have a bit of a drool over that one - then saw what the upstairs was like, especially the tiny bathroom and the black tiles. No need to worry about the flood risk after all, as it's not for me. Besides I'd ruin the horse.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 25th Sep 18, 9:43 PM
    • 15,979 Posts
    • 133,130 Thanks
    zagubov
    Surely the door for the shower-room should open to the utility room, not the kitchen. Not much joined-up thinking.

The extra bedroom downstairs would only be suitable as a guest bedroom for someone who didn't really want to encourage people staying over. As this house is on the coast, maybe that's the plan!
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • nearlynomadic
    • By nearlynomadic 25th Sep 18, 10:40 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    nearlynomadic
    Do you think they have planning permission for the creation in the back garden?

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/48819867?search_identifier=a9416c4ee3cd6cde7923256 82e13fd4b
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 26th Sep 18, 7:01 AM
    • 27,877 Posts
    • 99,035 Thanks
    Davesnave

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/48819867?search_identifier=a9416c4ee3cd6cde7923256 82e13fd4b
    Originally posted by nearlynomadic
    I think they were also living in the 'garage,' to say nothing of the caravan, so perhaps the 'play house' at the end of the garden is just to distract the eye.

What are the odds the buyer will get complete clearance of stuff when they take possession?

Maybe not a bad buy, though everything will have been bodged and its just the wrong side of the tracks...
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 26th Sep 18, 7:14 AM
    • 8,105 Posts
    • 14,742 Thanks
    ScarletMarble

Originally posted by nearlynomadic
    Think it can be knocked down with a couple of finger prods
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 26th Sep 18, 7:16 AM
    • 809 Posts
    • 2,263 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    Also the name of the house gives it away too! It's been on the market for over a year so maybe people are wary.
    Originally posted by Ocelot
    Yeah, it's the same up river at Naburn Lock. They do sell though, some people are always prepared to take the risk and pay the insurance premium. Friend of mine pays 4k a year for house insurance due to previous flooding but where they live is beautiful.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 26th Sep 18, 7:17 AM
    • 27,877 Posts
    • 99,035 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Think it can be knocked down with a couple of finger prods
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Agreed, but I'm not using my finger!
    Are you volunteering?
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 26th Sep 18, 7:54 AM
    • 17,561 Posts
    • 49,199 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I think they were also living in the 'garage,' to say nothing of the caravan, so perhaps the 'play house' at the end of the garden is just to distract the eye.

What are the odds the buyer will get complete clearance of stuff when they take possession?

Maybe not a bad buy, though everything will have been bodged and its just the wrong side of the tracks...
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Okays - reasons why please -

- As I re-checked and couldn't see any evidence they were living in the garage

- Couldnt spot a caravan

I've checked the Street View and still none the wiser.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 26th Sep 18, 8:22 AM
    • 27,877 Posts
    • 99,035 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Okays - reasons why please -

- As I re-checked and couldn't see any evidence they were living in the garage

- Couldnt spot a caravan

I've checked the Street View and still none the wiser.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    There's a caravan, or maybe two, on my Street View and aerial views. The garage has actually been built to accommodate whatever lies behind it.

Maybe your Welsh Street View censors caravans. People living in Wales are, in my experience, dab hands at disguising caravans and ancilliary buildings used for residential purposes...

Anyway, folks don't usually build a gable into a garage to create an entrance hallway, as the added expense doesn't justify it, if it's just being used as a workshop/storage.

Hmmm, there again, one doesn't usually put two stories on a shed!

To me, it looks as if the residents have been working long-term on the house, but not making rapid progress. It's quite normal for people to live in temporary accommodation and just use the house loo and kitchen whilst the messy stuff goes on, but here it looks as though the messy stuff indoors never really got started....

I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 26-09-2018 at 8:24 AM.
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 26th Sep 18, 8:55 AM
    • 3,393 Posts
    • 7,051 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    I can definitely see what appears to be two caravans on the aerial view

We know someone here in SW Wales that we believe might be intending to live in a well-disguised farm building.........and every other 'renovation project' seems to have at least one static parked alongside. Not ours, btw
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over 40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,042Posts Today

5,678Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin