Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,184Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1227
    • julicorn
    • By julicorn 7th Aug 18, 5:52 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 1,663 Thanks
    julicorn
    Clearing the surfaces clearly not an option in this place: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66005056.html
    Originally posted by cloo
    I mean, the interior is pretty shocking, but why on earth would they use the photo of that shed as the first picture?
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Current: £184,500
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 7th Aug 18, 6:32 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,551 Thanks
    westernpromise
    I mean, the interior is pretty shocking, but why on earth would they use the photo of that shed as the first picture?
    Originally posted by julicorn
    Because it's the best part of the house.
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 7th Aug 18, 8:06 PM
    • 6,201 Posts
    • 4,552 Thanks
    vansboy
    Clearing the surfaces clearly not an option in this place: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66005056.html

And it's 'Bucket in the bath' making it's return!!

VB
    • daivid
    • By daivid 7th Aug 18, 9:40 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    daivid
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55628499.html

Mix of time warp and unfinished projects. Also are we to assume the agent has recently aquired a new toy?
    Last edited by daivid; 08-08-2018 at 1:32 PM. Reason: fixing link
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Aug 18, 7:30 AM
    • 17,346 Posts
    • 48,132 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

Mix of time warp and unfinished projects. Also are we to assume the agent has recently aquired a new toy?
    Originally posted by daivid
    The link isnt working.
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 8th Aug 18, 7:33 AM
    • 274 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    https://rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-74124173.html

The Detail to attention is what makes this super two bedroom first floor flat really stand out from the crowd...

Really!!
    Originally posted by Mardle
    Irony, yes?

Yes.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Aug 18, 7:48 AM
    • 26,849 Posts
    • 96,560 Thanks
    Davesnave
    www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55628499.html
    ....are we to assume the agent has recently aquired a new toy?
    We can certainly assume he/she used it illegally.
    Link Fixed here.
    How much does anyone care, though? Governments can pass whatever laws they like, but if no one enforces them, they don't exist in the everyday world. The shot from directly above makes the garden look smaller.

An odd house; possibly a probate job that somene didn't have the time/skills to take further? Hasn't sold before within Rightmove's memory.

(Thanks, The Gardener for helping me sort out the link. )
    Last edited by Davesnave; 08-08-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    "We won't get fooled again...."
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Aug 18, 9:34 AM
    • 26,849 Posts
    • 96,560 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Pic 5 is that the pallet referred to in the blurb up against the wall in the dining room?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-74877152.html

Poor old Geoffrey; he has a wealth of local knowledge and is as aged as me, but he still doesn't know his rivers, apparently. This house looks out over the River Bray, not the Mole, and it's actually on the B3226 opposite the old Hancock's Cider Mill.

It's a bit prissy for my tastes, but seems quite good value now that the river no longer asks to come inside. Years ago, before being totally re-built on a different level, that was almost a yearly event. An even more frequent event was us lads, visiting Mr Hancock, who could always be persuaded to let us try a few samples of his latest brews......
    "We won't get fooled again...."
    • cloo
    • By cloo 8th Aug 18, 11:43 AM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    cloo
    And it's 'Bucket in the bath' making it's return!!

VB
    Originally posted by vansboy
    What *do* they all do with that bucket?!!
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 8th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    • 3,510 Posts
    • 5,184 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    ď And it's 'Bucket in the bath' making it's return!!

VB
    Originally posted by vansboy

What *do* they all do with that bucket?!!

The first reason that comes to mind is that the toilet flush doesn't work - hence the alternative of chucking a bucket of water down the pan.
    • daivid
    • By daivid 8th Aug 18, 8:12 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    daivid
    Link Fixed here.
    How much does anyone care, though? Governments can pass whatever laws they like, but if no one enforces them, they don't exist in the everyday world. The shot from directly above makes the garden look smaller.

An odd house; possibly a probate job that somene didn't have the time/skills to take further? Hasn't sold before within Rightmove's memory.

Originally posted by Davesnave

Thanks for giving the correct link before I was back on here, I'm putting the blame on my iPad (usually I post from a laptop)

I agree with the probate theory, the key box and the grab handle by the front door add weight to the notion too. I think the overhead shot gives a fair representation of the garden, I think the house has been squeezed into that plot a little (by standards of the era, rather than today's).
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 8th Aug 18, 9:35 PM
    • 7,972 Posts
    • 14,439 Thanks
    ScarletMarble

My parents have that duvet set in pic 9. Mum found in a charity shop a 2nd set of pillowcases for £1 each.

The duvet is the most modern thing!
    • remembermee
    • By remembermee 9th Aug 18, 10:09 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    remembermee
    My parents have that duvet set in pic 9. Mum found in a charity shop a 2nd set of pillowcases for £1 each.

The duvet is the most modern thing!
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I used to have it too. Itís Dorma and very expensive to buy new 18 years ago lol
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 9th Aug 18, 10:13 AM
    • 24,554 Posts
    • 51,798 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    https://rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-74124173.html

AN ABSOLUTE DELIGHT, is one way of describing this unique home. The Detail to attention is what makes this super two bedroom first floor flat really stand out from the crowd, you would be forgiven upon entering for not realising that you are indeed in a Central town location,once inside it really does feel like you are in a country cottage due to the beautiful chic interior.

Really!!
    Originally posted by Mardle
    Loving the French Revolution vibe in the kitchen.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 9th Aug 18, 10:28 AM
    • 24,554 Posts
    • 51,798 Thanks
    LandyAndy

And, looking at the sold prices for that road, it's all the money and then some.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 9th Aug 18, 1:06 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,551 Thanks
    westernpromise
    Link Fixed here.

Originally posted by Davesnave
    No drone shots from inside the house, though, which feels like a bit of a missed opportunity...
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 9th Aug 18, 1:12 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,551 Thanks
    westernpromise
    I used to have it too. It!!!8217;s Dorma and very expensive to buy new 18 years ago lol
    Originally posted by remembermee
    Someone's clearing out a probate house a few doors down from us. The junk in the skip included a Bejam freezer. As (I have just learnt in another thread) Bejam were bought out 30 years ago, the appliance is at least that old.

I think old biddies do the place up and then decide it's perfect and never notice their surroundings ever again. This is the only way these fossilised interiors from 30 and 40 years ago can persist.

Soon presumably we'll start seeing probate sales of 80s houses with a load of ratty old black ash.

What astonishes me is millennials intentionally creating the same look from scratch. There was a house on here a few weeks ago for feedback that was full of old granny horrible tut. It looked like a 90 year old had died in it. It transpired that a young couple lived in it and this was their actual midcentury taste....
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 9th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 2,491 Posts
    • 2,435 Thanks
    TheGardener
    ...I think old biddies do the place up !!!8230;. full of old granny horrible tut....
    Originally posted by westernpromise
    Language maybe a bit derogatory/sexist and a touch unkind there mate?
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 9th Aug 18, 1:49 PM
    • 4,085 Posts
    • 6,518 Thanks
    bouicca21
    As an older (refuse to be actually old) biddy, I have actually furnished my flat with 1960s type furniture. This is not because I am in a revisit my youth timewarp, it's because I think Ercol is classic. I strongly suspect that what will date most quickly will be the relatively recently installed kitchen and bathroom.

Mind you I still regret the probate property that I just missed getting - now that really was a timewarp. Fantastic Edwardian furniture that I bet the new owners took to the tip.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 9th Aug 18, 1:58 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 3,406 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Someone's clearing out a probate house a few doors down from us. The junk in the skip included a Bejam freezer. As (I have just learnt in another thread) Bejam were bought out 30 years ago, the appliance is at least that old.
    Originally posted by westernpromise
    It's fair to assume the freezer was still in full working order at the time of the owner's death otherwise they wouldn't have hung on to it so it definitely wasn't junk. Are you saying you would throw out a perfectly good freezer just because it was looking a little dated? Not very MSE.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

790Posts Today

5,259Users online

Martin's Twitter