Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 10:16 AM
    • 2,187Posts
    • 3,434Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 10:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 10:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 1:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1216
    • Madmel
    • By Madmel 16th Jul 18, 10:17 AM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,275 Thanks
    Madmel
    This is very close to where I live (not mine). But is it a bungalow? And I'm not at all sure about the master ensuite... https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64289869.html
    • SallyDucati
    • By SallyDucati 16th Jul 18, 10:33 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    SallyDucati
    Doesn't look like a bungalow to me! And no door on that en-suite! in fact the whole master suite is not to my taste.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Jul 18, 10:38 AM
    • 17,560 Posts
    • 49,199 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    This is very close to where I live (not mine). But is it a bungalow? And I'm not at all sure about the master ensuite... https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64289869.html
    Originally posted by Madmel

It's a chalet bungalow. Sorta half way house between a bungalow and a house proper. I'm used to them and it's what I would like ideally.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 16th Jul 18, 10:53 AM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    westernpromise
    That's pretty nice but for 775k I would expect the upstairs rooms not to feel like an attic conversion. I'd also like an attic.
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Jul 18, 11:08 AM
    • 17,560 Posts
    • 49,199 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    That's pretty nice but for 775k I would expect the upstairs rooms not to feel like an attic conversion. I'd also like an attic.
    Originally posted by westernpromise
    My experience of living in one is the upstairs rooms feel like perfectly standard rooms and there was an attic too.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 16th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    • 6,889 Posts
    • 6,493 Thanks
    badger09
    Not my taste - but I sorta like it in a way - though it could do with a bigger back yard.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    But underneath the penchant for patterns - and the colour red - I suspect this owner is someone who looks after the bricks and mortar and that the house is in well maintained good order.
    Even if not quite to my taste - it gives the impression this person looks after their home - which is what we all want to hope for if we are buyers I guess
    Originally posted by TheGardener
    I was thinking exactly the same thing. It looks really inviting.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    And me. Definitely not my taste but it feels as if a lot of love has gone into it
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 16th Jul 18, 12:44 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    Ours is a chalet bungalow too, we extended a bungalow to make it one lol.
    The term chalet bungalow really annoys me.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 18th Jul 18, 5:21 AM
    • 8,131 Posts
    • 14,797 Thanks
    ScarletMarble

My 95 year old great aunt would love the floral wallpaper and fabrics.

Only room I wouldn't touch is kitchen - after removal of that dried stuff around window. Hall and landing, fine.

I hate those traditional baths as they are not easy to clean
    • ash28
    • By ash28 18th Jul 18, 7:24 AM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 4,410 Thanks
    ash28

Our bedroom is built over a double garage in the same way as this one, though our house is a traditional house with an attached double garage built at a right angle to the house and the bedroom was built over the garage when the house was built 10 years ago.
    The size of the room is very similar to this one (minus that wall in the middle of the room) and does not feel like an attic conversion at all. There is some loft space above the room and the only issue with the room is the lack of wall space for free standing wardrobes, ours came with built in storage so it isn't an issue. We also have a door on the ensuite!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    • 28,103 Posts
    • 99,432 Thanks
    Davesnave
    The EPC isn't great so the insulation upstairs might not be that good. In this heat, it wouldn't be the style of building I'd prefer.

I suppose the price is due to location. Very nice, but I'll stick to visiting that area for short day trips and stay where I am, in the 'undiscovered' bit!
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 18th Jul 18, 9:31 AM
    • 650 Posts
    • 1,396 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    It looks like they've photoshopped the views in the windows, must be the filter.

I stayed in an airbnb in Brighton last year where the ensuite was like that in the master - luckily I had the room to myself, you could see straight onto the toilet and shower from the bed! Even when I was in there on my own I felt odd!
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 18th Jul 18, 10:27 AM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    westernpromise
    The trouble with slopey wall-c um-ceilings, as seen in many attic conversions, is that you can't have freestanding furniture - wardrobes and the like. And I just hate tacky built-in wardrobes.

edit: I'm fascinated at how filthy-minded the auto-censorship is. I used the word "c um" which the censor instinctively misunderstood....
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • ukmaggie45
    • By ukmaggie45 18th Jul 18, 11:39 AM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 19,911 Thanks
    ukmaggie45
    Who in their right mind puts the bathroom and only toilet in the house on the second floor? (See Floor Plan)

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66475684.html

What if you fancy a few pints of an evening?
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 18th Jul 18, 11:52 AM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    westernpromise
    Who in their right mind puts the bathroom and only toilet in the house on the second floor? (See Floor Plan)

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66475684.html
    Originally posted by ukmaggie45
    Good spot. At a guess, someone in a 3-bed house who wants it to be a 4-bed by going into the attic. As the attic makes a better bathroom than bedroom (slopey ceilings maybe?), the bathroom went there and the 4th bedroom went where the 1st-floor bathroom used to be.

I rather like that house, it's been quite well done, but yes that would be a bit of a pain. If it were me, I would try to find a way to squeeze a ground floor loo under the stairs somehow. If you go for one of those loos where the handsink is set into the top of the cistern you can fit them into very small spaces.
    Last edited by westernpromise; 18-07-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: munged the bedrooms innit
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 18th Jul 18, 12:25 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72862745.html

Pics 7 and 8. Why?
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 18th Jul 18, 12:53 PM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    westernpromise
    So a single chair and small table at the end of a path that ends in the middle of the garden.

Card table for a solitaire player?
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 18th Jul 18, 12:56 PM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    westernpromise
    Very nice ex-vicarage for reasonable money this close to the centre of Stafford.
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60570052.html

But:
    What's with the ground floor layout? - front hall leads only to the kitchen and you have to walk through two rooms to get to the sitting room? Eh?

And: The property is reached via a public footpath which continues to the private driveway and leads to the property and extensive grounds of large lawns and ample parking for several vehicles.

How do you get vehicles down a public footpath? Is this why this 5-bed cellared house with huge gardens has no garage?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Jul 18, 1:05 PM
    • 28,103 Posts
    • 99,432 Thanks
    Davesnave
    edit: I'm fascinated at how filthy-minded the auto-censorship is. I used the word "c um" which the censor instinctively misunderstood....

The censor obviously didn't go to grammar school, so never had the pleasure of learning a language full of helpful sentences like: "We shall overcome the barbarians with the skilful use of our spears and arrows."

Still waiting for that one to be appropriate. After Brexit, maybe?
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 18th Jul 18, 1:12 PM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    westernpromise
    The censor obviously didn't go to grammar school, so never had the pleasure of learning a language full of helpful sentences like: "We shall overcome the barbarians with the skilful use of our spears and arrows."

Still waiting for that one to be appropriate. After Brexit, maybe?
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    I remember stuff along the lines of hastis iactis, Romani summa !!! ferocitate impetum fe!!!!. I am expecting to find the 5th and last words censored.

edit: and I wasn't wrong. The starred out innocent words are c um and cu nt
    Last edited by westernpromise; 18-07-2018 at 1:23 PM.
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 18th Jul 18, 2:26 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 1,118 Thanks
    Dandie89
    Oh my, let's hope the delivery man doesn't decide to use the back door at an inopportune moment
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55487739.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,628Posts Today

5,828Users online

Martin's Twitter