Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,184Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1190
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 17th Apr 18, 11:08 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 3,218 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Spot the cat. Oh, and the mice. OMG the mice

zillow.com/homedetails/5306-Nagami-Dr-Windermere-FL-34786/71064028_zpid/
    Originally posted by sheepnik
    Christ! The US ads posted on here are always so very full to the rafters with ‘stuff’. You get the feeling the vendors still think the USSR can (must!) be defeated by shopping.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 18th Apr 18, 9:04 AM
    • 24,418 Posts
    • 51,558 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72234098.html

Really like the way the agent shows off the external look of this one.

VB
    Originally posted by vansboy

Odd, because if it is the one I think it is, the outside is quite impressive. I'm not sure why you'd build such a much bigger house as an end of a terrace though.
    • Estheroid
    • By Estheroid 18th Apr 18, 10:29 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Estheroid
    Christ! The US ads posted on here are always so very full to the rafters with ‘stuff’. You get the feeling the vendors still think the USSR can (must!) be defeated by shopping.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    I once accompanied a friend to a house viewing in New York. It was certainly an eye opener - so much junk everywhere, no effort to clean up or de-clutter! The opposite of everything that you're advised to do to show off your home to its best over here. The estate agent didn't seem remotely fazed by the amount of cack lying around
    • SnooksNJ
    • By SnooksNJ 18th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 1,238 Thanks
    SnooksNJ
    I once accompanied a friend to a house viewing in New York. It was certainly an eye opener - so much junk everywhere, no effort to clean up or de-clutter! The opposite of everything that you're advised to do to show off your home to its best over here. The estate agent didn't seem remotely fazed by the amount of cack lying around
    Originally posted by Estheroid
    There are certainly a lot of moving/yard/garage sales in the US by people who were told by their Realtors that leaving a bunch of crap around sells houses.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 18th Apr 18, 2:00 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 2,603 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Originally posted by Estheroid
    tbh my thinking is probably more American in this regard, I've never quite understood why some people make a big deal about other people's clutter. It really doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to me when viewing a property whether they've gone for the ultimate in minimalist furnishings or have tacky ornaments on every visible surface, either way you'll be getting a bare house when you complete.

Cleanliness is another matter and is an important consideration but cluttered doesn't necessarily mean dirty.
    Last edited by NaughtiusMaximus; 18-04-2018 at 2:09 PM.
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 18th Apr 18, 4:32 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    Dandie89
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64940467.html

Is this an English Rose Kitchen? or just a lookie likie? The handles don't seem right.
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 18th Apr 18, 7:35 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    TamsinC

Is this an English Rose Kitchen? or just a lookie likie? The handles don't seem right.
    Originally posted by Dandie89
    lol - my 'wonderful' kitchen in my RAF quarter is this! I actually quite like it despite it's age and decrepitation - dated 1970
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 18th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    Dandie89
    lol - my 'wonderful' kitchen in my RAF quarter is this! I actually quite like it despite it's age and decrepitation - dated 1970
    Originally posted by TamsinC
    I doubt many modern kitchen will be capable of lasting 50 years even if the modern mania for ripping out all things "last year" fizzled out.
    • sheepnik
    • By sheepnik 18th Apr 18, 9:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    sheepnik
    Picture 17 really sells this one for me. Plus spot the cats, who might want to have a word with you about the rug in picture 3.

rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66067130.html
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 19th Apr 18, 11:12 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    quantumlobster

Originally posted by Dandie89
    That living room though.

"And here we have the living room, where it is always 1982."

ETA: and the other living room - "OK, so we've got beige walls and brown wooden furniture and floral print chintz chairs. What carpet did you get? Cobalt blue? Perfect."

ETA2: today I learned that avocado kitchens were once a thing.
    Last edited by quantumlobster; 19-04-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 19th Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    • 3,248 Posts
    • 4,681 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    That living room though.

"And here we have the living room, where it is always 1982."

ETA: and the other living room - "OK, so we've got beige walls and brown wooden furniture and floral print chintz chairs. What carpet did you get? Cobalt blue? Perfect."

ETA2: today I learned that avocado kitchens were once a thing.
    Originally posted by quantumlobster
    The sideboard in pic 7 is classic 1930s Art Deco ! If it's genuine, it could be worth a bob or two.
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 19th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    The sideboard in pic 7 is classic 1930s Art Deco ! If it's genuine, it could be worth a bob or two.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Yep, very nice - and if that fireplace surround contraption with the mirror is also original, ditto. Sack off the horrific gas fire and reinstate the original fireplace (which seems to be hiding behind it) and it'd look proper.

This is the room that's this >< close to being really quite nice - bin the telly and the gas fire, change the carpet, get rid of the impressive bean-bag and put some better chairs in. Hey presto, a perfectly agreeable 1930s period room, if you like that sort of thing.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 19th Apr 18, 11:48 AM
    • 24,418 Posts
    • 51,558 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Spot the Alpaca. (Difficulty rating: Easy)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53274606.html
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 19th Apr 18, 11:55 AM
    • 3,909 Posts
    • 6,122 Thanks
    bouicca21
    bin the telly and the gas fire, change the carpet, get rid of the impressive bean-bag and put some better chairs in. Hey presto, a perfectly agreeable 1930s period room, if you like that sort of thing.
    I do, I do, I love that house, though I'd have to get rid of the yorkstone fireplace. If I ever emigrate from the Big Smoke, that would do me very nicely.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 19th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    • 12,922 Posts
    • 18,573 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    This flat has been on the market for a long time. Even Frodo Baggins would hit his head getting in and out of bed.

https://www.aspc.co.uk/search/property/345095/39-Mount-Street/Aberdeen/
    • Ogriv
    • By Ogriv 20th Apr 18, 10:16 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Ogriv
    For me, two things are notable with this one:

1) Neoclassical entrance columns resting on bin sheds
    2) Owner wishes s/he were still in London (picture & duvet cover in bedroom)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61593223.html
    • AFF8879
    • By AFF8879 20th Apr 18, 11:11 AM
    • 370 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    AFF8879
    This flat has been on the market for a long time. Even Frodo Baggins would hit his head getting in and out of bed.

https://www.aspc.co.uk/search/property/345095/39-Mount-Street/Aberdeen/
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    "Honey, I need to use the loo. Can you let me out of the bed please?"
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th Apr 18, 11:33 AM
    • 16,593 Posts
    • 45,795 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

Originally posted by Ogriv
    LOL at 2nd comment - as I think many people are "wherever they've decided to be" within the 4 walls of their own home (which may or may not match the location their house/flat/etc is physically in).

I think it's common for people to "live in their area of choice/even period of history of choice" within their own four walls and one wouldnt know where the home is located until you step out the front door.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 20th Apr 18, 11:51 AM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 3,218 Thanks
    shortcrust

Originally posted by Ogriv
    The bike in the bedroom doesn't scream 'ample storage space'.
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 20th Apr 18, 12:04 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    I'll bet you a pint that the patterned glass in the arches (pictures 3 and 4) isn't safety/tempered glass.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,284Posts Today

7,704Users online

Martin's Twitter