Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1184
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 30th Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    • 25,044 Posts
    • 92,577 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Currently EPC rating of 16 to potentially 17.That usually means changing all the lightbulbs to energy ones
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Well, clearly the potential increase of 1 point is nonsense, which shows how awful some so-called 'assessors' are, but the house is starting from a very low base and there will always be constraints as a result of it's construction and the likely desire to retain character.

The saving grace is that it's not a very large house to heat!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 30-03-2018 at 8:12 AM.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 30th Mar 18, 8:16 AM
    • 15,607 Posts
    • 43,334 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    "With no upward chain you may struggle find something as quaint and cosy as this beautiful cottage again!"

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72305585.html

Quaint? Definitely

Err..... did you say "cosy?"

See EPC!

Also, "Semi-Detached but Not Overlooked"

Apart from the neighbour's window and balcony (Pic 23) that is...
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Can't quite figure the semi-detached bit - as it looks detached?

But - yep....a "total rip-out job" - including those buildings in the garden imo.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 30th Mar 18, 8:46 AM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 3,912 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Can't quite figure the semi-detached bit - as it looks detached?

But - yep....a "total rip-out job" - including those buildings in the garden imo.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Is it attached to the house at the back? Doesn't seem to have any rear windows.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 30-03-2018 at 8:49 AM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 30th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    • 25,044 Posts
    • 92,577 Thanks
    Davesnave

Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    To get an efficient, modern home, one wouldn't start with a house like that. A 20th century box is much better.

It's like the classic country response when someone asks for directions :
    " Well, if I was going there, I'd not be starting from yer!"
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • arthurdick
    • By arthurdick 30th Mar 18, 9:07 AM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 8,317 Thanks
    arthurdick
    Looking at the street view, I think the best time to view is 2:30. You would need your own railings.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64654000.html
    4371/3 =1457.. some people won't accept that though.
    Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
    • Ocelot
    • By Ocelot 30th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Ocelot
    To get an efficient, modern home, one wouldn't start with a house like that. A 20th century box is much better.

It's like the classic country response when someone asks for directions :
    " Well, if I was going there, I'd not be starting from yer!"
    Agree. I don't know why some people see a character property and then decide to rip out all that makes it a character property, and turn it into a soulless, plastic, magnolia box.
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 31st Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Dandie89
    "With no upward chain you may struggle find something as quaint and cosy as this beautiful cottage again!"

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72305585.html

Quaint? Definitely

Err..... did you say "cosy?"

See EPC!

Also, "Semi-Detached but Not Overlooked"

Apart from the neighbour's window and balcony (Pic 23) that is...
    My fairly recent experience of selling has taught me to pretty much disregard EPCs.

The lady who came to assess our, similarly thick walled, back to back cottage in Cumbria when chatting about them generally actually commented how cosy they were yet gave a much poorer rating than I would have expected given my low energy bills and suggested wall insulation that, she claimed, would save more money than my energy bills came to in a year!

During our chat it was also mentioned that she only did this part time, her other job was selling energy solutions such as wall insulation! Whilst pondering if this gave me grounds for some sort of appeal due to conflict of interest it became a moot point as the viewings poured in and a full asking offer was received within a week so it seems others are not too troubled by them either.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 31st Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 25,044 Posts
    • 92,577 Thanks
    Davesnave
    My fairly recent experience of selling has taught me to pretty much disregard EPCs.
    Originally posted by Dandie89
    As I have had 3 on this property (purchase, Green Deal, Free loft insulation) I know how much variability there is!

However, the fact that I've chosen to live in a modern house is no accident. I've lived in hundreds of years old houses too.

Some extremely important factors affecting warmth in winter which don't form part of the EPC are, location, aspect, alititude and shading.

People who value old houses will stll want them, even though they cost more to heat and maintain, just like I accept that owning fields etc will never pay for itself either.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 31-03-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 31st Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Dandie89
    As I have had 3 on this property (purchase, Green Deal, Free loft insulation)

People who value old houses will stll want them, even though they cost more to heat and maintain, just like I accept that owning fields etc will never pay for itself either.
    But that is my point, it didn't cost much at all, very economical in fact, which the lady who bought it was able to ascertain by viewing my energy bills rather than the EPC. She certainly did not go on to insulate the walls which someone not so savvy might have done on the basis of that EPC, wasted their money and losing valuable space in an already small house. She immediately offered it as a holiday let and many of the reviews have mentioned "cosy".

Definitely not saying all old properties will work so well but neither does merely being old preclude it.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 31st Mar 18, 1:27 PM
    • 25,044 Posts
    • 92,577 Thanks
    Davesnave
    In my list of stuff affecting the cosiness of any property, I forgot one quite important one; detached bungalows are probably most disadvantaged due to their often spread-out nature and the amount of external wall area.

Won't say what sort of property we have, but there are no stairs!
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 31st Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Dandie89
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64745287.html
    Spot the dog.

Dear old soul probably doesn't know the EA is even there

While you are there, spot the flood risk
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 1st Apr 18, 9:04 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 1,780 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64745287.html
    Spot the dog.

Dear old soul probably doesn't know the EA is even there

While you are there, spot the flood risk
    Originally posted by Dandie89
    *awards prize for most pointless bathroom curtains ever*
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 1st Apr 18, 9:29 AM
    • 25,044 Posts
    • 92,577 Thanks
    Davesnave
    *awards prize for most pointless bathroom curtains ever*
    Originally posted by RedFraggle
    .....and special commendation for the most unnecessarily twee toilet seat.

I like the way someone has nicked part of the Neighbourhood Watch sign for the village.
    • Mardle
    • By Mardle 1st Apr 18, 7:15 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    Mardle
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72221537.html

Can't wait for the comments on this one
    • winspiration
    • By winspiration 1st Apr 18, 7:46 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    winspiration
    Originally posted by Mardle
    Spot the dog - check

Bucket in the bath - check

Ugly woodburner (well the flue pipe, anyway) - check

Strange priorities that they have electricity to the outbuildings but not the living accommodation.

I like the William Morris wallpaper though
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 1st Apr 18, 8:08 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 1,780 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    Makes me sad to think of someone living there.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 1st Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 15,607 Posts
    • 43,334 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Aging hippy?

A couple - one with electrosensitivity and the other not (hence outbuildings with electric - ie for the one without that) and the main house without it? It does sorta feel like there's been a deliberate decision not to introduce anything modern era (ie made of modern materials) as far as possible and so I'm guessing it's that. Rather than "not got the money to fix the house" or "can't be bothered to fix the house".

The main house not having anything upvc, mains water, mdf furniture, carpets to me looks like someone deliberately avoiding those things. Could also be a badly compromised immune system generally - hence avoiding "modern world" stuff as far as possible?
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 01-04-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 2nd Apr 18, 1:26 AM
    • 698 Posts
    • 1,668 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Spot the dog - check

Bucket in the bath - check

Ugly woodburner (well the flue pipe, anyway) - check

Strange priorities that they have electricity to the outbuildings but not the living accommodation.

I like the William Morris wallpaper though
    Originally posted by winspiration
    And a kitchen sink with 3 taps???

Hot, Cold and Scrumpy perhaps.
    • katsclaws
    • By katsclaws 2nd Apr 18, 8:33 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    katsclaws
    I like the William Morris wallpaper. The garden looks lovely.
    This farmhouse near to where we live is for sale by auction on May 1st. Sadly I think it would be over our budget to complete the renovations.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64698556.html
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 2nd Apr 18, 9:09 AM
    • 25,044 Posts
    • 92,577 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I
    This farmhouse near to where we live is for sale by auction on May 1st. Sadly I think it would be over our budget to complete the renovations.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64698556.html
    Originally posted by katsclaws
    Console yourself that it will be very bleak in winter. Faces north below a steep north facing slope, so with the altitude, pretty poor location IMO.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,781Posts Today

8,025Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin