Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1165
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 17th Feb 18, 8:33 PM
    • 15,276 Posts
    • 130,766 Thanks
    zagubov
    Ah, like this one?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51177696.html

Loo is in the cupboard structure in the middle of the studio.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    That's an apartment style with a lot going for it. It's designed to make the most of a tiny floorspace and aimed at singles who want to live in a city centre. There needs to be a lot more thinking like this if we're to house everybody who wants to live in city centres.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • LisbonLaura
    • By LisbonLaura 17th Feb 18, 10:07 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 1,361 Thanks
    LisbonLaura
    Announcing the Weight Regulating Kitchen
    Take a look at the kitchen. pic 3.
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/46487777?search_identifier=eab89b751bc4fc5c91e7343 772e3a4a4#WsMobEjK3oSV6yeV.97
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 17th Feb 18, 10:37 PM
    • 15,276 Posts
    • 130,766 Thanks
    zagubov
    That size of kitchen would invite buyers who live on takeaways.

Then again, after too many meals like that they'd never fit in that kitchen.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • sew what
    • By sew what 18th Feb 18, 12:24 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    sew what
    Interesting security measures (pic 5) http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52540638.html
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 18th Feb 18, 7:57 AM
    • 660 Posts
    • 1,787 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    " How long does getting thin take?" asked Pooh anxiously. Best lay off the honey.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • rwcwilson
    • By rwcwilson 18th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    rwcwilson
    While wood/multi-fuel burners are currently de rigueur, people do seem to stuff them into the most unsuitable houses, and this is a pretty good example of what I mean:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64113100.html

Far from being "stunning," the huge black chimney is an eyesore from where I'm sitting. It doesn't do a lot for the exterior of the house either.

Or am I just grumpy and out of touch?
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    I personally found it amusing that the estate agent seemed to have become distracted by the neighbours hobbit hole whilst taking the pictures.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Feb 18, 10:09 AM
    • 25,069 Posts
    • 92,629 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I personally found it amusing that the estate agent seemed to have become distracted by the neighbours hobbit hole whilst taking the pictures.
    Originally posted by rwcwilson
    Yes, it was a bit cheeky photographing the neighbour's garden and view, but that's not unheard of in these parts.

One of my neighbours advertised their house with "access to a shared recreational area." The picture the agent used was of another resident's 1/2 acre field, probably because the recreational area was totally inacessible to anyone without a chain saw and brush cutter.

It didn't lead to harmonious relations!
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 18th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 24,809 Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    Probably one of the most ridiculous sets of photographs for a house I've seen.
    These houses aren't exactly attractive in the daylight. They're much worse at night!
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71478206.html
    • AFF8879
    • By AFF8879 18th Feb 18, 7:51 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    AFF8879
    These houses aren't exactly attractive in the daylight. They're much worse at night!
    Originally posted by WeAreGhosts
    HouseSimple is pleased to present this property in Batley
    You know it must be bad when an estate agent can't even bring themselves to use the most exaggerated of adjectives....
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 18th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    • 1,421 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    Mickygg
    Fabulous use of blue sky and clouds, the clouds amazingly have not moved in both pics. Truely awful pics, a forced sale I bet.
    • Sandgrownun
    • By Sandgrownun 18th Feb 18, 9:32 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Sandgrownun
    Holy mother of heck this is the most nightmarish set of estate agent photographs I think I've seen!!!!!
    • Contessa
    • By Contessa 18th Feb 18, 9:44 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    Contessa
    While wood/multi-fuel burners are currently de rigueur, people do seem to stuff them into the most unsuitable houses, and this is a pretty good example of what I mean:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64113100.html

Far from being "stunning," the huge black chimney is an eyesore from where I'm sitting. It doesn't do a lot for the exterior of the house either.

Or am I just grumpy and out of touch?
    That really is the elephant in the room. Ugly and unecessary IMO.

These are usually a sign that there's no mains gas but the description says heating is gas so perhaps bottled.
    • Contessa
    • By Contessa 18th Feb 18, 9:48 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    Contessa
    I can only imagine that the EA took such care and time to photograph the property that day merged into night.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Feb 18, 12:58 AM
    • 25,069 Posts
    • 92,629 Thanks
    Davesnave
    That really is the elephant in the room. Ugly and unecessary IMO.

These are usually a sign that there's no mains gas but the description says heating is gas so perhaps bottled.
    Originally posted by Contessa
    As it's a new small estate (2010) there will probably be a communal LPG tank rather than individual ones.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 19th Feb 18, 5:37 AM
    • 15,633 Posts
    • 43,376 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    As it's a new small estate (2010) there will probably be a communal LPG tank rather than individual ones.
    I've not heard of that.

How would/could that work? By the time different people had different ideas about what fuel they wanted to use/how much of it they were going to use/had assumed & decided they would be "self-sufficient"?
    WAY TO GO IRELAND! - WELCOME TO THE 21ST CENTURY

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Feb 18, 6:52 AM
    • 25,069 Posts
    • 92,629 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I've not heard of that.

How would/could that work? By the time different people had different ideas about what fuel they wanted to use/how much of it they were going to use/had assumed & decided they would be "self-sufficient"?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    It would work because the small estate would have a contract with a supplier and a radio unit on the tank would send a message when it needed refilling. Obviously, each house would be seperately metered. There are cost advantages in clubbing together and LPG is easier to install as a shared system than the alternatives.

I don't think any of those houses could be self-sufficient in any sense of the term. We get thousands of 'free' kW of heat each winter from the wood burner here, but we still need an oil boiler as back-up.
    • ukmaggie45
    • By ukmaggie45 19th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 19,335 Thanks
    ukmaggie45
    Looks like a face or ghost or goblin in the washing machine! (Pic 12)
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 19th Feb 18, 1:08 PM
    • 15,633 Posts
    • 43,376 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It would work because the small estate would have a contract with a supplier and a radio unit on the tank would send a message when it needed refilling. Obviously, each house would be seperately metered. There are cost advantages in clubbing together and LPG is easier to install as a shared system than the alternatives.

I don't think any of those houses could be self-sufficient in any sense of the term. We get thousands of 'free' kW of heat each winter from the wood burner here, but we still need an oil boiler as back-up.
    Ah right. So - I shoulda specified I meant "self-sufficient" in the sense of = nowt to do with anyone else (directly speaking).

Hence my current house wasn't that definition of self-sufficient when I bought it - still needed oil deliveries to fully function (as far as it managed to function at all....). All that went as part of The Big Rip-Out and it's now self-sufficient in that sense. That being mains gas and mains electric - so I'm not reliant on anyone now - other than the people at the power stations themselves. Doesn't matter what the neighbours do or don't do...

Hmm...an off-putting factor for that house imo - ie having to be involved with other people directly for one's supply (rather than the impersonal "They" will sort it - because lots of other people are affected too if there's problems).
    WAY TO GO IRELAND! - WELCOME TO THE 21ST CENTURY

• Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 19th Feb 18, 1:25 PM
    • 4,372 Posts
    • 6,250 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    "Link Detached" which bit of that house is detached from another one???? It is mid terrace. Not only can't they take photos but they can't get the description of the kind of house right either.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Feb 18, 1:35 PM
    • 25,069 Posts
    • 92,629 Thanks
    Davesnave
    That being mains gas and mains electric - so I'm not reliant on anyone now - other than the people at the power stations themselves. Doesn't matter what the neighbours do or don't do...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I have a suspicion you might have been around in the early 70s...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/16/newsid_2757000/2757099.stm

No leccy, no gas central heating.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,691Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin