Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1071
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 26th May 17, 12:40 PM
    • 14,331 Posts
    • 77,369 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Charming "art deco" house. Apparently, the style took a while to reach Wales and the local interpretation owes more to Legoland than the Chrysler building, but at around 170k it's an affordable classic. Kitchen looks particularly original.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64471367.html
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    But why say it's art deco at all? It makes no sense.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 26th May 17, 2:09 PM
    • 24,812 Posts
    • 92,111 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Given that the owners appear to have some artistic awareness, do you think Tina is a tongue-in-cheek nod to the 60s?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60082201.html

Havent seen her IRL myself for many years.

Edit: The Street View is worth a look here. It shows the neighbours, apparently trying to jump start one of their elderly Volvos, totally oblivious to the Google car, and there's an easy spot the dogs as well.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 26-05-2017 at 2:20 PM.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • iwannanicerlife
    • By iwannanicerlife 26th May 17, 3:36 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    iwannanicerlife
    Wow.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65370884.html
    • Cressie
    • By Cressie 26th May 17, 5:30 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Cressie
    Wow indeed. Seeing the signs "wash" and "bath" in the bathroom, I feel sure there should be one saying "sweat" next to the polythene wrapped sofas in the sitting room.
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 26th May 17, 5:40 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 3,326 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    Given that the owners appear to have some artistic awareness, do you think Tina is a tongue-in-cheek nod to the 60s?

Havent seen her IRL myself for many years.
    You never know, perhaps it is an original Lynch, rather than a print and worth quite a lot of money!

IIRC Lynch gave away and burnt most of his canvases just before he died so they are pretty rare if you can find one. Original
    Tretchikoffs (he of green lady fame) sell for upwards of 20k - the kitch 60's market is on the up

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 26th May 17, 5:50 PM
    • 7,623 Posts
    • 13,786 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Dont forget a can of booze in their hand - well...that would be one explanation for the wonky border in the garden.

It's a "rip it all out" garden anyway - including removing or disguising the eyesore wall (concrete block).
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I remember seeing a rack of white wine in the kitchen. Probably Hock or Liebfraumilch
    • ruperts
    • By ruperts 26th May 17, 7:31 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    ruperts
    Apart from the living room, which is utterly insane, I quite like some of the design in there. It's a bit eccentric for my taste and I doubt I'd keep much of it if I was to buy the house, but it's visually interesting if nothing else.
    Last edited by ruperts; 26-05-2017 at 7:36 PM.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 26th May 17, 9:54 PM
    • 7,623 Posts
    • 13,786 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Need a skip for the garden crap

How I hate those wall stickers! They are the 10s answer to borders! Look so dated in a few years time and take the paint with it when removing.
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 26th May 17, 11:05 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 1,914 Thanks
    LittleMax
    The ocd part of me wants to move the frozen duvet from pic 7 and put it into the bedroom on pic 6!
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 27th May 17, 10:28 AM
    • 199 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Dandie89

Edit: The Street View is worth a look here. It shows the neighbours, apparently trying to jump start one of their elderly Volvos, totally oblivious to the Google car, and there's an easy spot the dogs as well.
    Can't find the property on street view
    • Dandie89
    • By Dandie89 27th May 17, 10:35 AM
    • 199 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Dandie89
    I think the EA was having a "moment" when that listing was written. The Description says: "Never Been On Market Before"; the Market Info says:
    Date Sold Sold Price
    24 Nov 1998 40,000
    Originally posted by StumpyPumpy
    I suppose it could have been a private sale or gifted.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 27th May 17, 10:48 AM
    • 6,303 Posts
    • 39,623 Thanks
    Gers
    Here's a wee gem of a property, I think.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59642773.html

bit more blurb http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/property-news/meet-you-at-the-cemetery-gates-cottage-in-the-shadow-of-edinburgh-castle-has-a-garden-lined-with-a110861.html
    Last edited by Gers; 27-05-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 27th May 17, 10:55 AM
    • 6,303 Posts
    • 39,623 Thanks
    Gers

I really like this house, it has charm and personality which soothes my mind.

I really really hate this house. It's got a pre-fabricated-buy-it-at-a-big-DIY-shed-and-pretend-it's-tasteful look which makes my nerves jingle with irritation. Most unsettling to even look at. Probably in the top five of my most hated properties on this thread.

I'm off to lie down now...
    • Cressie
    • By Cressie 27th May 17, 11:08 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Cressie
    Not only do I hate the whole random words as decoration trend, but these people seem to be instructing people to wash in the loo and take a bath in the radiator.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    Yes, I I too dislike those random words some people put in their homes, particularly "home". Do they sometimes forget? I also wonder what sign they might put in the bedroom...
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 27th May 17, 11:37 AM
    • 15,356 Posts
    • 42,833 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Not only do I hate the whole random words as decoration trend, but these people seem to be instructing people to wash in the loo and take a bath in the radiator.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    Well it was okay back when only a few people were doing it - ie to be a bit "different".

But once every person and their spouse and dog started doing it = what's the point now?
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 27th May 17, 12:02 PM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 6,896 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    You never know, perhaps it is an original Lynch, rather than a print and worth quite a lot of money!

IIRC Lynch gave away and burnt most of his canvases just before he died so they are pretty rare if you can find one. Original
    Tretchikoffs (he of green lady fame) sell for upwards of 20k - the kitch 60's market is on the up :p

SP
    Originally posted by StumpyPumpy
    I've just bought a set of 3 flying ducks for my living room wall.

In my defence, my house was built in the sixties, and they are a 'modern update' to the corrie version!
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 27th May 17, 12:30 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 5,306 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Money, as so often I will disagree - random words on walls were never ok.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 27th May 17, 12:59 PM
    • 4,137 Posts
    • 5,625 Thanks
    kinger101
    Someone's in distress. Or just pig ignorant.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58859539.html?utm_content=v2-ealertspropertyimage&utm_medium=email&utm_source=e mailupdates&utm_campaign=emailupdatesinstant&utm_t erm=buying&sc_id=23223520&onetime_FromEmail=true
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 27th May 17, 2:17 PM
    • 15,243 Posts
    • 130,305 Thanks
    zagubov
    This is a bit left-field but I'd be intrigued to see how it looks when it's finished.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-40063495/double-decker-bus-home-created-for-cambridgeshire-family
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • sleepymans
    • By sleepymans 27th May 17, 5:05 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    sleepymans
    Art Deco, my foot!
    Art Deco? No way....that's a 1960/70s design, outside and in!
    Goddess
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

69Posts Today

2,352Users online

Martin's Twitter