Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 3,431Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread II
    • 5th Aug 11, 11:16 AM
    The "have a look at this!" thread II 5th Aug 11 at 11:16 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Grimbal for starting this thread, where compulsive Rightmove browsers share their funniest finds. Scroll down for Playboy mansions, unusual extensions, toilets in wardrobes and mysterious presences under bedcovers.

Back to the original post...

Thought I'd start off a new thread as the other one was getting to be pretty long. The old thread can be found here.

How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'm guessing these guys don't invite their granny over to watch TV

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-06-2016 at 2:02 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1069
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 22nd May 17, 7:32 AM
    • 24,215 Posts
    • 51,159 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    "We have two tellies in the lounge"

"We couldn't afford fresh flowers so we left some detergent and toilet roll on the windowsill. Smells like flowers, lasts longer"

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/43256152
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver

Spot the EA? Pic 11
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 22nd May 17, 8:08 AM
    • 24,800 Posts
    • 92,086 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Originally Posted by Owain Moneysaver
    "We have two tellies in the lounge"

"We couldn't afford fresh flowers so we left some detergent and toilet roll on the windowsill. Smells like flowers, lasts longer"

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/43256152

Spot the EA? Pic 11
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    I just spotted the usual dismal Welsh bungalow full of dismal workmanship, looking out over what looks like a travellers encampment in dismal weather.

At least there's little EA guile at work, or even among the populace of that rather unattractive village.

Just down the road from there, we looked at a large property which was decorated to the same standard as that one, but they wanted mega bucks because it owned a boring-looking field. The lady owner opened the door, and as soon as I spoke she replied, "Oh, so you're not Welsh then? We're all Welsh on this road, you know!"

I've heard that, on average, it takes 11 seconds from stepping inside a property to a fairly solid decision about it, but with that one the decision was made before we got past the threshold!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 22nd May 17, 9:41 AM
    • 7,619 Posts
    • 13,780 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41471994.html

spot the owner!
    • cloo
    • By cloo 22nd May 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    cloo
    When I saw the words 'unusual' in the description, I had to look. They seem to be decorating this 1930s house variously as Elizabethan and Victorian, plus... carpet in the kitchen?!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46219716.html
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 22nd May 17, 12:27 PM
    • 15,334 Posts
    • 42,756 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

I just spotted the usual dismal Welsh bungalow full of dismal workmanship, looking out over what looks like a travellers encampment in dismal weather.

Just down the road from there, we looked at a large property which was decorated to the same standard as that one, but they wanted mega bucks because it owned a boring-looking field. The lady owner opened the door, and as soon as I spoke she replied, "Oh, so you're not Welsh then? We're all Welsh on this road, you know!"

I've heard that, on average, it takes 11 seconds from stepping inside a property to a fairly solid decision about it, but with that one the decision was made before we got past the threshold!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Yep..."dismal" is one of the words I would have used about that one.

Now - you've piqued my curiosity as to what your reply to that comment was Dave? Do tell please.....

You've got me wondering what my own response to that would have been too. I suspect it would have been along the lines of putting a very puzzled expression on my face and just walking in the door past her, ignoring the irrelevant comment.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 22-05-2017 at 12:32 PM.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 22nd May 17, 12:29 PM
    • 3,517 Posts
    • 8,716 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Yep..."dismal" is one of the words I would have used about that one.

Now - you've piqued my curiosity as to what your reply to that comment was Dave? Do tell please.....

You've got me wondering what my own response to that would have been too. I suspect it would have been along the lines of putting a very puzzled expression on my face and just walking in the door past her, ignoring the irrelevant comment.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention

'So we'll be the only English in the village then?'
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 22nd May 17, 12:34 PM
    • 15,334 Posts
    • 42,756 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Duly amended to "We'll be the first English people in the village then - IF we like the house enough to buy it.".
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 22nd May 17, 1:07 PM
    • 2,567 Posts
    • 6,866 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Reminds me of that webpage of that company years ago where most of the staff looked young, female and blond.
    Originally posted by zagubov
    That link just made something called 'Sky Broadband Shield' pop up, which I've never seen before! Are you trying to get us into trouble?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 22nd May 17, 1:25 PM
    • 24,800 Posts
    • 92,086 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    She was only speaking for 1/2 dozen houses, not the whole village, but immediate neighbours are important. It's not all like that in Ceredigion, by any means.

I've no idea what my reply was after all this time. Having a very Welsh name, I was fairly used to that sort of reaction in England as well, especially at school. When I went to the Big School, about half my teachers were from the other side of the Bristol Channel. So, even in the first week, I managed to disppoint on quite a large scale.

Once I put pen to paper, though, the let-down was complete!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 22nd May 17, 1:29 PM
    • 24,800 Posts
    • 92,086 Thanks
    Davesnave
    That link just made something called 'Sky Broadband Shield' pop up, which I've never seen before! Are you trying to get us into trouble?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Funny, my security system did nothing at all.

Perhaps it knows I'm too old for all that sort of stuff.
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 22nd May 17, 1:39 PM
    • 3,238 Posts
    • 6,640 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    When I saw the words 'unusual' in the description, I had to look. They seem to be decorating this 1930s house variously as Elizabethan and Victorian, plus... carpet in the kitchen?!

Originally posted by cloo
    Whilst the interior decoration isn't entirely to my taste - as I prefer a more eclectic look - I rather like it.

The kitchen 'carpet' looks very similar to the karndean we laid in a previous bathroom, although I'm prepared to be proved incorrect on that one
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over 40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • grayme-m
    • By grayme-m 22nd May 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    grayme-m
    It's to demonstrate it's a middle-class area. If you're looking for kebab shops or cash converters you'll look elsewhere.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Acknowledging that this flat is in a village near Letchworth, have you been to Letchworth?

Two dedicated kebab shops, one CEX, Poundland, Poundstretcher, two Home Bargains, B&M Bargains....

You get the idea.
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 22nd May 17, 5:56 PM
    • 2,277 Posts
    • 2,169 Thanks
    TheGardener

Originally posted by cloo
    Really like this - look past the questionable interior design and its a belter
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 22nd May 17, 9:56 PM
    • 7,942 Posts
    • 8,739 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Acknowledging that this flat is in a village near Letchworth, have you been to Letchworth?

Two dedicated kebab shops, one CEX, Poundland, Poundstretcher, two Home Bargains, B&M Bargains....
    Originally posted by grayme-m
    All it needs is a Poundworld and a 99p Charity Outlet Shop and it'll be perfect.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • halfone
    • By halfone 23rd May 17, 11:12 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    halfone
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-48393345.html

Pic 4

I can't work out what the picture is - some sort of downward diving phoenix? The curly bits are confusing me.
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 23rd May 17, 12:52 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 1,914 Thanks
    LittleMax
    If you're going to stage your house for breakfast - don't forget to reset the clock...

(pic 8) http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66508988.html
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd May 17, 1:08 PM
    • 8,567 Posts
    • 28,501 Thanks
    fairy lights

Pic 4

I can't work out what the picture is - some sort of downward diving phoenix? The curly bits are confusing me.
    Originally posted by halfone
    Pictures 8 and 9 - looks ideal as a holding cell for a hostage, no one will hear anything through those nice thick walls.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd May 17, 1:09 PM
    • 8,567 Posts
    • 28,501 Thanks
    fairy lights
    If you're going to stage your house for breakfast - don't forget to reset the clock...

(pic 8) http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66508988.html
    Originally posted by LittleMax
    'Pudding bag lane'
    • clint_S
    • By clint_S 23rd May 17, 1:32 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    clint_S

Pic 4

Originally posted by halfone

I think it's a bird of paradise.

Why put tea on the kitchen floor?
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 23rd May 17, 2:44 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 1,914 Thanks
    LittleMax

Why put tea on the kitchen floor?
    Originally posted by clint_S
    Cos someone told them to make sure the worktops were clear of clutter for the photos
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,543Posts Today

5,912Users online

Martin's Twitter