Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 4th Aug 11, 8:09 AM
    • 1,819Posts
    • 9,448Thanks
    dandy-candy
    So OS that it's sad?
    • 4th Aug 11, 8:09 AM
    So OS that it's sad? 4th Aug 11 at 8:09 AM
    Well we just came back from a week in Kefalonia and although I managed to relax and read while being computer free, my OS bargain hunting was still in full flow!

The local mini mart did the most fantastic washing pegs I have seen, really solid thick plastic with strong metal spring and 24 in a pack for 90 cents!! I bought 6 packs to bring home...

I went into a supermarket and they did real camphor tablets which I never see in England anymore so 3 packs of them went into the trolley...

At the cornershop they sold traditional olive oil household soap that you could use for washing clothes and scrubbing the house, so I bought 8 bars...

My DH was just shaking his head and said "I'm not telling anyone what you bought back from holiday"

Oh dear have I really become such a saddo? The thing is i'm still dead chuffed with my finds - I must be completely brain washed!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 09-08-2011 at 3:09 PM.
Page 1
  • silvermaid
    • 4th Aug 11, 8:28 AM
    • 4th Aug 11, 8:28 AM
    Hi Dandy
    Your holiday buys sound great.
    I have found a shop in Exeter that sells "peg-dolly" pegs, which is what I like to use.
    Most times I go to Exeter - two or three times a year, I check my peg status to see if I need a top-up
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    Groucho Marx
    As Cranky says, "M is for mum, not maid".
    • mmmsnow
    • By mmmsnow 4th Aug 11, 9:12 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 1,068 Thanks
    mmmsnow
    • 4th Aug 11, 9:12 AM
    • 4th Aug 11, 9:12 AM
    First time I was in Greece, I saw the olive oil soap (it was 10 cents for a bar and back then, the Euro was at 1.44!) and I "stocked up". That was 2003 and I still have some left!
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 4th Aug 11, 9:19 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    • 4th Aug 11, 9:19 AM
    • 4th Aug 11, 9:19 AM
    what are camphor tablets?
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 4th Aug 11, 10:33 AM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 6,769 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    • 4th Aug 11, 10:33 AM
    • 4th Aug 11, 10:33 AM
    i have brought back pegs and a toilet brush from tesco in thailand
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 4th Aug 11, 10:34 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,448 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    • 4th Aug 11, 10:34 AM
    Silvermaid I have never used dolly pegs for hanging washing, only for making peg dolls - are they any good?

First time I was in Greece, I saw the olive oil soap (it was 10 cents for a bar and back then, the Euro was at 1.44!) and I "stocked up". That was 2003 and I still have some left!
    Originally posted by mmmsnow
    Wow mine weren't that cheap, but at 25 cents a bar I still thought they were worth having

what are camphor tablets?
    Originally posted by quintwins
    Camphor is a waxy substance from trees in India that is tradtionally used for mothballs, but has other uses too. The tablets are just the shape it's pressed into. I have loads of old books that often refer to using it but I could never find it in shops here, most mothballs sold nowadays are made of other chemicals.
    Last edited by dandy-candy; 04-08-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 4th Aug 11, 10:34 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 9,204 Thanks
    Living proof
    I am just the same as you DC and always like to mitigate the very high cost of the holiday with a few bargains, and I am just off for a weekend away (UK) and I'm already looking forward to the charity shops en route! It's so expensive now to drive further than my local town for shopping that it's quite a treat to be looking at different shops.

I found the exchange rate for the Euro now makes most potential purchases ott.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 4th Aug 11, 11:17 AM
    • 10,867 Posts
    • 119,540 Thanks
    LameWolf
    • 4th Aug 11, 11:17 AM
    • 4th Aug 11, 11:17 AM
    DC I don't blame you; if I were to find a household item on holiday that I had difficulty getting at home, I'd stock up, too.

I bought a butter dish in Holland a few years ago because I'd been unable to get exactly what I wanted here, and I saw one that was perfect while we were on holiday.

I've also bought hankies from a market in Maldegem; Mr LW and I both had streaming colds, and the market had lovely mens' hankies, with a proper border, so we bought a load (I use mens' hankies too, as womens' aren't big enough to cope when I get a cold).
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • patchwork cat
    • By patchwork cat 4th Aug 11, 11:32 AM
    • 5,666 Posts
    • 8,762 Thanks
    patchwork cat
    • 4th Aug 11, 11:32 AM
    • 4th Aug 11, 11:32 AM
    We brought a broom head back from Teneriffe at my DH's insistence!
    • wmf
    • By wmf 4th Aug 11, 11:40 AM
    • 1,785 Posts
    • 21,481 Thanks
    wmf
    Loving this thread! I buy olive oil soap from H&B but it's about 1. I use it for washing me though, not clothes. I remember seeing huge bars of it when we lived in Suffolk but can't remember where.
    Waiting to hear what others bring back from hols
    W
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 4th Aug 11, 11:43 AM
    • 12,647 Posts
    • 26,389 Thanks
    robpw2
    Well we just came back from a week in Kefalonia and although I managed to relax and read while being computer free, my OS bargain hunting was still in full flow!
    The local mini mart did the most fantastic washing pegs I have seen, really solid thick plastic with strong metal spring and 24 in a pack for 90 cents!! I bought 6 packs to bring home...
    I went into a supermarket and they did real camphor tablets which I never see in England anymore so 3 packs of them went into the trolley...
    At the cornershop they sold traditional olive oil household soap that you could use for washing clothes and scrubbing the house, so I bought 8 bars...
    My DH was just shaking his head and said "I'm not telling anyone what you bought back from holiday"
    Oh dear have I really become such a saddo? The thing is i'm still dead chuffed with my finds - I must be completely brain washed!
    Originally posted by dandy-candy
    not sad at all thats enterprising lol

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • Any
    • By Any 4th Aug 11, 12:00 PM
    • 7,580 Posts
    • 8,012 Thanks
    Any
    When I saw the thread title I thought I will see story of a kind:
    I didn't let my kids have an ice cream in the centre of Barcelona (input name of city) even though it was very hot because I could not part with the money when I know I can buy it for half the price at the supermarket oposite our hotel once we get back (hours and hours later)...

Now that is sad.

But OP what you are describing is not sad!! Those sound like a great buys!
    I bought pasta in Italy because I want to try it as much as it is cheaper and looks different..

Chances are the olive oil you got there is better anyway, localy sourced etc etc...
  • ubamother
    Just think - every time you peg your washing out you'll have a memory of your holiday.

When we were in the US a couple of years ago, I bought the most wonderful, lidded, cast iron skillet and the most wonderful farm-kitchen scale which was huge. My husband had to take them through as hand luggage as they were far too heavy for the suitcases - we got strange looks from the X-ray machine security man! I suppose we're were quite lucky it wasn't confiscated as a potentially deadly weapon - my knitting needles were on the way out. The cast iron skillet has been my favourite piece of kitchen equipment ever - and I love my scales, so worth it.

• SUESMITH
    not daft at all, the best thing we bought was a shower from lidl in france - it was 9 euros - when the euro was something like 1.5 to the pound, we had no money left and had to search the car for odd cents. still going strong years later. the same holiday we bought paella pans and a freestanding hammock

we brought lemons, cheese and olive oil back from italy last year, oh and a peg basket!
    'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
    • narabanekeater
    • By narabanekeater 4th Aug 11, 5:16 PM
    • 1,867 Posts
    • 2,758 Thanks
    narabanekeater
    we brought DD home in my tummy from Spain LOL
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
  • louise3965
    we brought terracotta tapas dishes home from Spain - they were so cheap. Next year it will be a mahoosive paella pan
    Cogito ergo sum. Google it you lazy sod !!
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 4th Aug 11, 5:58 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,448 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    I'm so glad it's not just me that likes bringing home a bargain from abroad!
    Any - my mum brought me back some amazing multi-coloured pasta from Italy once, it was too pretty to eat so we just displayed it in a glass jar in the kitchen
    Molly - I had always heard French flour was better too, what a shame it wasn't after you carried it all the way home again!
    Ubamother - that sounds fab! I have always wanted to visit the Amish areas in America because their stores have amazing old fashioned stuff like quilts and oil lamps - I would buy so much we'd have to ship it home
    • mmmsnow
    • By mmmsnow 4th Aug 11, 6:07 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 1,068 Thanks
    mmmsnow
    Wow mine weren't that cheap, but at 25 cents a bar I still thought they were worth having
    25 cents is still a bargain! We got ours from this little family run shop we'd found in Kefalos on Kos. Everything in the place was super cheap - even the drinks and ice lollies, which was the main reason for us wandering in.

In the end, we bought about 30 bars of soap, a lot of little souvenirs for friends and family and loads of drinks and things (over the course of a couple of weeks). On the day we left, the owner gave us a big bag of apricots she'd picked from her garden. They were beautiful!
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 4th Aug 11, 6:14 PM
    • 2,163 Posts
    • 22,816 Thanks
    snoozer
    DH insisted on bringing a sickle back from the Czech Republic (luckily we'd driven there). We also brought back a complete set of bathroom taps from Austria because they were cheaper and nicer than ones we'd seen at home.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Aug 11, 6:24 PM
    • 16,404 Posts
    • 140,217 Thanks
    JackieO
    I have always wanted to visit the Amish areas in America because their stores have amazing old fashioned stuff like quilts and oil lamps - I would buy so much we'd have to ship it home
    I was in Lancaster and also Intercourse in Pennsylvania a couple of years ago and its true there are some amazing old fashioned stores full of the stuff the Amish use , sadly not with old fashioned prices to match. My friend and I looked at thier quilts as she makes quilts for a charity in England and the starting prices for the quilts were from $1000 upwards They were beautiful but there is no way I would pay for anything like that for a quilt for my bed

When I went up to Blackpool for a 'meet several years ago I managed to find some Stardrops in the little shop there, and brought 3 bottles home This was before you could buy it down in the south of England
    Last edited by JackieO; 05-08-2011 at 7:55 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only( 1st Oct 30.96,15 Oct 14.28 total for month 45.24,) Total end of October since Jan 307.43
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,315Posts Today

7,468Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin