Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    rictus123
    Buy nothing for a month challenge
    • 27th Jul 11, 8:09 PM
    Buy nothing for a month challenge 27th Jul 11 at 8:09 PM
    http://uk.askmen.com/money/investing_300/342_buy-nothing-month.html

The link above really just states the obvious. Petrol, food and bills is as much as you are allowed. Going to run it starting on Monday the 1st of August. Its only 31 days folks! My expenses will be
    • Digs - £100
    • Phone - £45
    • Fuel - £160
    • Loans- £330.62
    • Credit card - £50 ( will clear start of September with all money saved by this challenge)
    So i will not have any money owed on credit card or overdraft for first time since i probably got my first card just after i turned 18 and im now 20!

• Total outgoings = £685.62...that will be my lowest spending month in at least 2 years!!

31 days...no money for going out,food,clothes,random stuff etc just the bare bone esstentials! Got beer in at my house and beer at gfs plus we are on a major health kick just now making most of summer going on lots of walks etc(best thing being cost = £0! ) Whos with me?!!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 02-08-2011 at 4:04 PM.
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
Page 1
    • MattSS
    • By MattSS 27th Jul 11, 8:13 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    MattSS
    • 27th Jul 11, 8:13 PM
    • 27th Jul 11, 8:13 PM
    Won't be joining but wanted to wish you good luck - Here's to a CC-free September
    "He hopes and he wished it but it didnít fall in his lap so he ainít even here"
  • rictus123
    • 27th Jul 11, 8:15 PM
    • 27th Jul 11, 8:15 PM
    Thanks Matt! Hopefully if i do it Aug, il miss out September and have a bash in October!! Extreme moneysaving but will be reaping the rewards!!
  • theticketinspector
    • 27th Jul 11, 8:19 PM
    • 27th Jul 11, 8:19 PM
    Hi there, I think I might just join you. Great idea and would be nice to save a whole month's wage!
    Debt free since 18/11/2011
  • rictus123
    • 27th Jul 11, 8:24 PM
    • 27th Jul 11, 8:24 PM
    Go for it, even if one or two fall at the final hurdle and spend a little its still going to have saved alot of money i bet!! Might have been easier a week at a time but i want to go for the full month. Itl help find out the things i miss that i spend money on and the things i dont. The things i dont will be getting stopped for good.
  • rictus123
    • 27th Jul 11, 10:19 PM
    • 27th Jul 11, 10:19 PM
    Just watched a programme on bbc 3 called "poor kids", all about child poverty in the UK. All the child benifits were eaten up by dmp payments and food. Barely even money for school clothes...yet most had hdtvs...hmmm. However it showed kids at 16 with nothing and did absolute nothing. At least i would have work all day and tv/dvds/internet at night! I can EASY do this! Might follow it on until December just to get my debt free date forward to then as opposed to January! Will wait and see! SO motivated to do this, cannot see how i can fail!
  • theticketinspector
    • 27th Jul 11, 11:07 PM
    • 27th Jul 11, 11:07 PM
    Yeah, I'm really getting into the idea now. Wondering where I can cut back. I'm hoping to cut spending especially the money I waste while at work - sandwiches for me every day. Still got my cineworld membership so if all else fails at least I can sit in the pics every night!
    Debt free since 18/11/2011
  • Asiacat
    • 28th Jul 11, 5:05 AM
    • 28th Jul 11, 5:05 AM
    One of the good things about taking up this challenge is that if you can manage it for one month you may never slip back into your spendthrift ways again.

Most neuro linguistic programming agree that it takes 30 days to make or break a habit.

If you want to start a new good habit (frugality, exercise, knowledge expansion) or break an existing bad habit(drinking, cigarettes, gambling etc). once you get through the first 30 days you have the behavioural change for life.

I'm not for one minute you go through the rest of your life spending on only essential items, that would be depriving yourself of many of the things the wonderful gift of life has to offer, but it may well open your eyes to many of the things you can do without, without in any way reducing your enjoyment of life.

Good luck!
    • Learning2Budget
    • By Learning2Budget 28th Jul 11, 6:48 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 4,937 Thanks
    Learning2Budget
    • 28th Jul 11, 6:48 AM
    • 28th Jul 11, 6:48 AM
    Good luck with it. Sounds like a good way to clear your debts. Please keep us updated.
    Very interesting about that neuroliguistic programming.
    L2B.x
    LBM 2008 £45,091.23 eek: now £7889 Debt free date 18/07/2018
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 28th Jul 11, 7:05 AM
    • 7,043 Posts
    • 41,567 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I did a version of this in Jan - although a less hardcore version! I only spent £27 on spending money - I did buy food though! - and we made sure we did lots of free things. Murphey's law beat me though as I our aerial broke which cost me £200 & I had to wipe my savings out on my car £1300 but it was a good experience. I'll do it again later in the yeat but want to wait unti after the summer. Good luck!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
  • painted lady
    A lot of my months are like this with all income Going on debt. Can't join this month with school hols but maybe for your October challenge. Good luck.
    • shezam
    • By shezam 28th Jul 11, 8:11 AM
    • 550 Posts
    • 2,323 Thanks
    shezam
    Just want to say good luck! I would never be able to attempt it this month. Got a few nights out with friends birthdays etc. I will defo be attempting alot of No Spend Days though!

Once again good luck and keep us up to date! x
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 28th Jul 11, 9:08 AM
    • 6,424 Posts
    • 30,415 Thanks
    bugslet
    Way to go rictus - let us know how you do. I can't see me ever doing that ( I like going out too much!)

I saw that programme as well and found myself bouncing between concern and confusion. Waay bigger telly than I could afford and was it an x box for the kids at the house in Leicester and the girl in Glasgow with her wheely trainers - aren't they quite expensive? On the other hand living in those kind of damp conditions is not acceptable in this day and age.

the trouble with those kinds of programmes is you are making judgements without all the facts beyond the bias of the programme maker.
    • rdchick
    • By rdchick 28th Jul 11, 9:18 AM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 4,732 Thanks
    rdchick
    I love this idea but it scares the pants off me to do it... I am also gonna try as many no spend days as physically possible!! The BF and I are going to eat healthily and as most of my 'spare' cash goes on junk I should have more incentive to keep my purse at home

Good luck!!! xxx
    Life is too short not to love what you do.
  • rictus123
    Thanks for all the fantastic replies guys! Even with that odd night out you can still stick with me and just say you want to do 27 or 28 days no spend on anything you dont NEED. I realise i dont NEED my phone but tied into contract and i use it alot and the free internet and txts probably means i am saving money.

That programme about kids in poverty, they did have a few expensive items about, i noticed the trainers,tv,xbox and the fact they had on [pretty good condition football tops etc! Pulling the wool over our eyes a wee bit but yes its not good knowing people live in these conditions but shows they manage without any surplus so why cant i!!

I have got to think of a few ideas for the odd time i may find myself bored. I have borrowed a couple of dvds from my sisters bfs large collection that will see me through boring nights there is no soaps on! Otherwise soaps will do on weeknights and exercise will do on weekend of course il be on here daily giving updates and browsing threads. 31 days? Thats nothing

If all goes well with this thread i might have a 1 spend day with a budget start of September and iv got a week away abroad on holiday, apart from that i may choose to carry on! I work hard for my money im thinking half the idea of this is to show myself i can stop wasting it.
  • rictus123
    A goal for next year is complete 30 days+ like this again but without the debt repayments! So all i will have is £100 digs, £45 phone, £160 fuel and thats my lot so £305 outgoing for the whole month. That would be very extreme!!!
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 28th Jul 11, 7:35 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 9,316 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    I think I'll go for this. My unavoidable spends include phone and broadband, food, petrol, various direct debits, paying off the credit card (about £180 as far as I remember), paying for my DH's nursing home fees (£600 pcm), and the car's MOT and annual service.

What complicates things is that I'm away for the first week of August, but as I'm self-catering it will just mean being very organised so as not to run out of things and have to buy.

I'll do my best! Good luck everyone else!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    • mustang1
    • By mustang1 28th Jul 11, 8:51 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    mustang1
    Wow - sounds very hard to do. I have too many things planned already in August to do this but am aiming for a lot of NSDs.

I think summer's an ideal time to start this. All you need is a library and some sunshine (that might prove tricky) - I could spend hours outside with a good book

Good luck everyone!
  • rictus123
    Yep mustang that is true, i am the same if i find a good one,only had 2 good books in my life. Short life so far though! Not allowed to buy books though...tomorrow is last banking day of month so last chance for me to pay for most things

Im so motivatied to do this!!
    • *zippy*
    • By *zippy* 28th Jul 11, 11:43 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 8,633 Thanks
    *zippy*
    I will be following your thread with interest, good luck x

Gotta be noisy and ask in case I've missed a good read what were the two books?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,769Posts Today

9,988Users online

Martin's Twitter