Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 15
    • Phs
    • By Phs 10th Oct 19, 12:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Phs
    If part 4b on your licence states that your licence has expired this may NOT be the case. It may only be certain groups which have expired. For example, you may no longer wish to renew your LGV entitlement, all other groups remain in force. I have been assured that this is the case by police on advice of DVLC.
    • Sammy Elizabeth
    • By Sammy Elizabeth 14th Jan 20, 11:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sammy Elizabeth
    Renewing Photo

Please help! I've just realised that my photo licence has expired in 2013!! I've tried to do it online but can't as when I put all my details in it doesn't seem to recognise it? What should I do? Should I ring DVLA ? Can I get fined as I received no warning about it and honestly didn't realise ? Any advise would be greatly appreciated thank you
    • facade
    • By facade 15th Jan 20, 8:25 AM
    • 4,210 Posts
    • 2,282 Thanks
    facade
    You can apply by post or at some Post Offices.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence#other-ways-to-apply

To apply online your passport details, National Insurance record and the details on your licence all have to match, otherwise it just says "Licence record not found" Probably you have a different address, a different name, or a typo in your date of birth on one of them.

Will you be fined? no idea, probably not.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 15th Jan 20, 9:21 AM
    • 8,697 Posts
    • 8,595 Thanks
    DoaM
    I didn't get my first photo licence until 2013. (I kept the old paper licence until then).

I was going to query why yours expired in 2013 until I did some research ... I hadn't realised that they were introduced in 1998.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 15th Jan 20, 10:01 AM
    • 10,489 Posts
    • 49,378 Thanks
    euronorris
    Has anyone experienced any issues with renewing their licence online? I've tried to do mine this morning, but it says that my licence is no longer valid (it is, until 30 Jan 2020) and that I cannot renew it online. No other explanation.

My Passport is definitely in date (renewed last year). Details match. Address on driving licence is up to date (hasn't changed in 5 years). Names match. National Insurance obviously still the same.

I just can't figure out why it won't let me renew online and now asks me to a paper application (costing more, and taking longer!). Any ideas/experience of this issue and how to resolve it?

ETA: Have discovered that my gov gateway account still has my maiden name. I think that might be the problem!

Arghh, no. It says maiden name when first logging in, but married name when I get through to the next page!

I managed to update Gov gateway so it shows correct surname now, but still get this message:

Sorry you cannot continue with your online application.
    Your licence is no longer valid and must be renewed. To do this the photo on your licence must be changed.
    It has not been possible to use your passport photo on your driving licence as DVLA must be able to confirm your identity online and your UK passport must be valid.
    Last edited by euronorris; 15-01-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 15th Jan 20, 11:16 AM
    • 10,489 Posts
    • 49,378 Thanks
    euronorris
    OK, in case anyone experiences the same, I contacted DVLA via their online web chat option and spoke to someone who advised the following:

We are aware of technical difficulties with newly issued passports not being recognised on the online service.

So, sadly, because their system isn't working as it should I will have to do the longer and more expensive option!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,283Posts Today

7,089Users online

Martin's Twitter