Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • AHAR
    • By AHAR 26th Jul 11, 11:52 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    AHAR
    • 26th Jul 11, 11:52 PM
    • 26th Jul 11, 11:52 PM
    Just checked mine - runs out next September.
    Mine will only have been valid for a fortnight less than 9 years when it expires...
    • Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 27th Jul 11, 7:22 AM
    • 4,870 Posts
    • 4,251 Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie
    • 27th Jul 11, 7:22 AM
    • 27th Jul 11, 7:22 AM
    November it's due, checked when this photo expiring stuff came in.

Wifes was last November.

FIL expired a while back and hasnt been renewed as of yet.
  • rodenal
    • 27th Jul 11, 8:07 AM
    • 27th Jul 11, 8:07 AM
    Renewed mine (2 months overdue) at the start of the year so i have a while yet
    • verybigchris
    • By verybigchris 27th Jul 11, 8:33 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 825 Thanks
    verybigchris
    • 27th Jul 11, 8:33 AM
    • 27th Jul 11, 8:33 AM
    The DVLA send out reminders. If anyone finds their licence has expired and they didn't get a reminder, they also need to check whether the DVLA has their current address.
  • Ashnook
    • 27th Jul 11, 9:07 AM
    What is section 4a
    • 27th Jul 11, 9:07 AM
    My 4b runs out in September but my 4a ran out in 2010, what is this section? I cannot find any reference to it on the DVLA site.
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 27th Jul 11, 9:32 AM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    • 27th Jul 11, 9:32 AM
    • 27th Jul 11, 9:32 AM
    4a is license vailid from. Says on the back of the photo card.

My license runs out November 2019. I checked after the last time this was brought up, which was lucky because I wasn't aware I needed to renew it.
  • Padz
    • 27th Jul 11, 9:35 AM
    • 27th Jul 11, 9:35 AM
    Runs out on 29/7/2011.

Went down to Post Office to renew yesterday.

Lied about having 'lost' photocard part and just gave them the paper bit. Did that because it has been known for licences to come back without the full motorcycle entitlement on it! If that happens to me I will miraculously 'find' the original!!!

Sometimes you have to help government departments to do their jobs properly. <rolleyes>
  • Ashnook
    • 27th Jul 11, 9:41 AM
    • 27th Jul 11, 9:41 AM
    Thanks Gordon Hose, you are so right. Why don't they say on the front 'Valid From:' and 'Valid To:' instead of cryptic codes and explanation on the back (in 2 point text).
    Grumpy old man!
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 27th Jul 11, 9:46 AM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    *gets magnifying glass out*
  • joshgeake
    Mine expired in March and I've not bothered renewing - why should I pay 20 to the DVLA for it? Just because they threaten to fine me 1000?!

I had my lawyer read through the reminder when I was in his office and he pointed out that at no point in the reminder did it say I had to renew. Indeed he said it said I only 'may' be fined. So I've not bothered and neither have my friends.

I guess if I need to drive abroad I'll probably do it.
  • Ashnook
    I would but I can't find it.
    • UnderPressure
    • By UnderPressure 27th Jul 11, 10:25 AM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 5,211 Thanks
    UnderPressure
    Mine is OK till 2017 but thanks for the reminder

TBH what is the problem with the 20 renewal fee? 2 per year hardly breaking the bank is it? I would personally much rather have a moan about the cost of tax, insurance and of course the dirty petrol!

Would you not be in breach of some term in you insurance if your licence is not valid? I don't know for sure but also surely PC Plod would have something to say about it as well if you got pulled over?
  • joshgeake
    It's always the same though UnderPressure - only 20 for something that until a few years ago never needed to be replaced. Indeed it was only a couple of years ago that they started charging for renewals.

DVLA = ******
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 27th Jul 11, 10:35 AM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    I personally wouldn't risk driving with an expired license. Although, saying that, I've not been pulled over since 2005 and even then the copper didn't check my license.
    • UnderPressure
    • By UnderPressure 27th Jul 11, 10:40 AM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 5,211 Thanks
    UnderPressure
    It's always the same though UnderPressure - only 20 for something that until a few years ago never needed to be replaced. Indeed it was only a couple of years ago that they started charging for renewals.

DVLA = ******
    Originally posted by joshgeake
    I know what you mean and to a certain extent agree with you but I can also understand the need for them to have relative up to date images, fair enough probably nobody here would try anything on but there are thousands that would.

My bigger gripe at the moment is the cost and polava of renrewing ones passport grrrrrrrrrrrr now there is something to have a moan at! For a family of 5 it is almost the cost of a cheap week away!. LOL sorry off topic but in the grand scheme of things there are much much bigger rip offs
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 27th Jul 11, 10:44 AM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1

DVLA = ******
    Originally posted by joshgeake
    You are not going back far enough - you used to have to renew them every three years at a fee of (I think) 1. That was in the 70s.
  • Flyboy152
    I have to renew mine every three years.
  • AlunH
    Paper License
    I still have a paper license which I believe is still valid (having sought legal advice) but cannot find anywhere on the directgov or DVLA web-site that directly states this. They only state that paper licenses will no longer be issued.
    I know of someone who was recently stopped by the police for a routine check and told that her paper license was no longer valid due to new European rules which also invalidated her insurance. She has now received a notification to appear in court to receive her fine and points (having already received a guilty notice).
  • Flyboy152
    I still have a paper license which I believe is still valid (having sought legal advice) but cannot find anywhere on the directgov or DVLA web-site that directly states this. They only state that paper licenses will no longer be issued.
    I know of someone who was recently stopped by the police for a routine check and told that her paper license was no longer valid due to new European rules which also invalidated her insurance. She has now received a notification to appear in court to receive her fine and points (having already received a guilty notice).
    Originally posted by AlunH
    I think someone is pulling your leg. Maybe she is using that as cover for something more serious.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,465Posts Today

6,654Users online

Martin's Twitter