What to do when someone dies - new guide feedback

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hollyberry wrote: »
    I'd add a caveat to be careful about which advice you take to be reliable, even if it comes from an official source. Our local council's guide to bereavement, which I picked up when I went to register my mum's death, had incorrect advice about car insurance. It advised that my husband, as a named driver, wasn't entitled to drive her car under her insurance as she could no longer give permission (doh!). The insurers confirmed this as piffle.
    You may find it varies from one insurer to another: it does happen with all kinds of insurance (house, contents, car) that as soon as you say the insurer has died, the whole lot is cancelled.

In the same way if the main credit card holder dies, when you tell the card company this they will cancel all the associated cards.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • alge
    alge Posts: 3 Newbie
    One thing to be aware of is if you are a named driver on your deceased partner's car insurance policy. Both cars in our household were insured in my wife's name, with me as a named driver. When she passed away, I had to re-insure both cars in my name, although to be fair to the insurance companies, they did give me a period of grace to get this completed.
  • Hollyberry
    Hollyberry Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    You may find it varies from one insurer to another: it does happen with all kinds of insurance (house, contents, car) that as soon as you say the insurer has died, the whole lot is cancelled.

In the same way if the main credit card holder dies, when you tell the card company this they will cancel all the associated cards.

Thanks, I should have been clearer abut that. :A

I would always contact the insurer to check. Ours knows we are obtaining probate and is happy to maintain the status quo until we are in a position to make new arrangements. My concern was that our local Registry Office's information could cause unnecessary worry at a time when there is so much to deal with. Always check.
  • gamakly
    gamakly Posts: 22 Forumite
    Hi,

My husband and I both have life insurance. Owing to recent financial distress we have a number of debts now and my husband seems to think that all of his debts will be wiped away if he were to die, leaving me with the life insurance money to assist with daily living expenses. I have queried this with him because I have assumed any life insurance that I would collect would actually have to pay off his remaining debts.
    We have no other financial assets as we lost our home. Work is gradually picking up for husband (in building trade) but for me, a piano teacher, it is still quite slow.
    I don't want to sound morbid but I like to plan ahead and know what my challenges would be if my husband was to pass away. We are in our late 50s/early 60s and although we are in good health I don't want to leave this to chance.
    Could anyone tell me if I am right please?

G
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    I think it might depend on the wording of the life insurance policy, although your husband is right that generally debts die with the debtor. If the debts are in his sole name, then you don't have to pay them if they can't be covered by his estate. And vice versa.

I think that if a policy is written 'in trust' to someone, then my understanding is that it passes to that person outside their estate, and therefore doesn't have to be used for their debts. The same can happen with any lump sum pension payments.

However, that wouldn't stop the creditors trying to pressurise you into making payments, and there are threads here on how NOT to get drawn into accepting responsibility for them.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • madbadrob
    madbadrob Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sue is spot on

Rob
  • gamakly
    gamakly Posts: 22 Forumite
    Ok, thanks very much for that. We'll check with our insurances companies about what to do.

G:)
  • Hi I need some advice please. A relative of mine who I have not seen in many many years is very ill. I assume he has no life insurance as sadly he has abused drugs and alcohol most of his life and has be incapable of going to work for over 25 years.
    His immediate family do not work and the ones that do are on very low income. If he passed away would they get help from the government to pay for his funeral? and would they be entitled to some kind of benefit. Thanks for any advice given
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The sad fact is probably not - and even if they do it won't be enough and probably not paid in time. The CAB should be able to give advice

If they refuse to arrange the funeral the local authority will arrange what used to be called a paupers funeral - probably at the local crem first thing in the morning. They will be allowed to attend.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    His immediate family do not work and the ones that do are on very low income. If he passed away would they get help from the government to pay for his funeral? and would they be entitled to some kind of benefit. Thanks for any advice given

Possibly - https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments/overview

If not, the council will arrange a basic cremation - as dzug1 says.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback