Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • picklednut
    • By picklednut 11th Jul 11, 3:16 PM
    • 100Posts
    • 98Thanks
    picklednut
    How do you eat healthly on 50 a week?
    • 11th Jul 11, 3:16 PM
    How do you eat healthly on 50 a week? 11th Jul 11 at 3:16 PM
    When I've done my SOA on other threads people have said I should be able to budget 50 a week for groceries but I really can't see how this can be achieved. We are a family of three, me, my OH and our 3 year old son. How do you achieve healthy 3 meals a day, with snacks and fruit of 50 a week. I dont want to resort to Iceland 1 specials.

Any meal planners, recipes, tips, shopping lists greatly appreciated.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 19-07-2011 at 6:25 PM.
Page 1
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 11th Jul 11, 3:22 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    • 11th Jul 11, 3:22 PM
    • 11th Jul 11, 3:22 PM
    http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/

have a look, site was set up by Weezl who posts on here a lot
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• CH27
    • 11th Jul 11, 3:38 PM
    • 11th Jul 11, 3:38 PM
    Look at your local greengrocers, market or farm shop. They are often cheaper for seasonal fruit & veg than supermarkets.

Check out your local butcher too.

Bulk out meat with beans & pearly barley.

Eggs are cheap & healthy.
    • boredjellybean
    • By boredjellybean 11th Jul 11, 3:40 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 1,091 Thanks
    boredjellybean
    • 11th Jul 11, 3:40 PM
    • 11th Jul 11, 3:40 PM
    http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/

have a look, site was set up by Weezl who posts on here a lot
    Originally posted by ifonlyitwaseasier
    thanks for that link - I look forward to having a good read!
    BJB
  • rachbc
    • 11th Jul 11, 4:53 PM
    • 11th Jul 11, 4:53 PM
    by shopping around, eating seasonally, meal planning, reducing meat consumption, making your own snacks, drinking only water, making your own bread, using cheaper cuts of meat, eating pulses. There are lots of was to make food healthier and cheaper!
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 11th Jul 11, 5:14 PM
    • 20,595 Posts
    • 17,201 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    • 11th Jul 11, 5:14 PM
    • 11th Jul 11, 5:14 PM
    Don't worry too much about debt-free wannabee suggestions. 300 a month for 3 people is only 100 each and that is supposed to include ALL groceries not just food but includes washing powder, soaps, deodorant, shaving stuff etc etc etc. I am a single person and spend 45 a week on ALL my shopping. 25 on food and 20 a week on non-food. Non-food also includes drinks such as Ribena, Orange juice a bottle of coke a few beers etc.

I see one of the suggestions was to spend less on Car insurance and you only spend 50 a month with 2 main drivers. I spend 130 a month. Insurance is what it is it can't easily be changed. I do assume you have checked a few companies though.
    Last edited by HappyMJ; 11-07-2011 at 5:19 PM.

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 11th Jul 11, 5:23 PM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 15,032 Thanks
    oldtractor
    • 11th Jul 11, 5:23 PM
    • 11th Jul 11, 5:23 PM
    lots of pulses and lentils home made bread adn home grown fruit and veg.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 11th Jul 11, 5:25 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    • 11th Jul 11, 5:25 PM
    • 11th Jul 11, 5:25 PM
    we live off around that and theres 2 adults and 3 kids in our house, i shop around and use cheaper brands, i use alot of frozen veg and reduced fruit and veg also hardly any snack foods (unless there value) we buy big sacks of spuds and fruit from the farm shop
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
  • ubamother
    • 11th Jul 11, 6:18 PM
    • 11th Jul 11, 6:18 PM
    Can I suggest, rather than suddenly trying to achieve what may be a huge drop in just a week, and shocking the family into mutiny, that you try and drop x per week. If you are a supermarket shopper, there are lots of ideas on the shopping area of the site. If you are not a cook-from-scratch type, get some cheap and cheerful, but easy recipes under your belt. Maybe adding a cheap home-made recipe once a week until it becomes more naturally to you, making a huge batch of cheap biscuits then freezing rather than buying snacks, etc. etc. One of the easiest ways to cut down on cost is to lessen the number of meat meals per week, or using meat as a flavour rather than the main part of meal. Things like hm pizza use meat as a garnish rather than needing a huge slab on the plate. Mince goes further than cubed meat, which goes further than chops, etc. etc. If there are specific types of meals/treats/snacks you like to cook, or your family like to eat, I would post them and the wise ones here will I'm sure be happy to offer good cheaper alternatives.

• u751904
    • By u751904 12th Jul 11, 6:43 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    u751904
    frozen veg is often cheaper than fresh. Frozen onions and garlic for example. Also you usually waste less. Get into making your own yogurt and wine (easy). The student grub cookbooks are also simple and easy to follow. you can always glam up the ingredients if it is too basic. Going to the shops with a shopping list and sticking to it is key. Consider soap nuts for washing powder. Make sure you shop at places like Aldi etc. You might feel it feels a bit grim having to do this but honestly it gets easier and you won't notice so much soon.
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 12th Jul 11, 6:50 PM
    • 4,621 Posts
    • 38,695 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi, I used to be able to feed my family of four for 65 a week but now its more like 75. At one time I spent over 100. The biggest change for me was simply meal planning and being more organised. I only buy what I need now and really think about what I am buying.

We eat meat most days and this weeks dinner menu has been roast chicken, stew and dumplings, chicken pie, spaghetti bolegnaise, home-made pizza and chicken curry.

I have also saved money by buying things like value lasagne sheets, value tinned tomatoes etc. You dont even notice the difference.

I think the suggestion of trying to reduce your costs gradually is a good idea.
    • m33r4
    • By m33r4 12th Jul 11, 6:52 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    m33r4
    This is my weekly struggle to feed 4 of us (2 adults + 2 teens). I would find it impossible to do this on 50-00. I know of single people who need about 50 weekly to eat healthy and well per week. If you are managing on 50 a week for a family you are are very likely eating a lot of carbohydrate junk or processed meals full of additives. In the long run of saving some money you may risk your health and wellbeing.

Morrisons' mag this month have this feature "5 family meals for under 25". The portions are fit for 1.5 adults at a stretch. I don't see how any one can follow this weekly menu and feel like they've eaten anything yet in the same mag the daily calories have increased from 1200 to 2000 for women recently? These meals will never achieve such a recommended daily intake.
  • CH27
    This is my weekly struggle to feed 4 of us (2 adults + 2 teens). I would find it impossible to do this on 50-00. I know of single people who need about 50 weekly to eat healthy and well per week. If you are managing on 50 a week for a family you are are very likely eating a lot of carbohydrate junk or processed meals full of additives. In the long run of saving some money you may risk your health and wellbeing.

Morrisons' mag this month have this feature "5 family meals for under 25". The portions are fit for 1.5 adults at a stretch. I don't see how any one can follow this weekly menu and feel like they've eaten anything yet in the same mag the daily calories have increased from 1200 to 2000 for women recently? These meals will never achieve such a recommended daily intake.
    Originally posted by m33r4

Rubbish!
    I spend 45 per week for 3 adults. We eat fresh food every day.
    The key is good planning & clever shopping.
    • m33r4
    • By m33r4 12th Jul 11, 7:07 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    m33r4
    Rubbish!
    Originally posted by CH27
    Please calm down. We are not here to argue. I hope it's not something you ate?

If you wouldn't mind, please give me a list of your week's menu and where you shop at, which part of the country you shop in etc so I can be as savvy as you?

Many thanks
    • SmallL
    • By SmallL 12th Jul 11, 7:07 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 1,453 Thanks
    SmallL
    Me and my boyfriend easily live off this amount, weekly shop is like this:

2 packs of 500g lean mince at 5 (always on offer as 2 for a fiver)
    1 Pack of chicken breasts about 2-3
    2 for 3 pound on fish fillets
    Diced lamb (about 2.50)
    Pack of three peppers
    Pack of mushrooms
    Pack of 3 onions
    Frozen mixed veg (all above veg amounts to about a fiver i think)
    Pack of granola yoghurts (six) about 2
    Milk
    Cereal (about 2 pounds)
    Tinned tomatoes (value- about 30p each)
    Wraps (about a quid)
    Fajhita spice mix (about a quid)
    Jar of Indian sauce (about a quid)

From this i usually make:

Chilli con carne
    Lamb Saag
    Chicken fajitas
    Pasta Bolognese
    Fish with a sauce and veg

This is only if i have the basics in my cupboard such as dried pasta. Also im not a huge lunch person so cant help with that sorry
    • m33r4
    • By m33r4 12th Jul 11, 7:08 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    m33r4
    Rubbish!
    The key is also in your "3 adults". I have 2 children/teens so the shopping will certainly vary.
    • m33r4
    • By m33r4 12th Jul 11, 7:11 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    m33r4

This is only if i have the basics in my cupboard such as dried pasta. Also im not a huge lunch person so cant help with that sorry
    Originally posted by SmallL
    This is where a lot of costs arise too. Oil, butter and other cupboard fillers, rice, pasta, seasoning, sauces are costs quite a lot of money and add up.

I shop for offers all the time and never buy anything but economy to save money.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 12th Jul 11, 7:13 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    Rubbish!
    i agree i have 2 adults and 3 children and 50 a week gets us plenty, we eat lots of fresh fruit, we rarely have fresh veg with the exception of carrots as frozen is cheaper and usually fresher, our local butcher does 3 large chickens for 5 and we buy big portions of mince and freeze in portions and big sacks of spuds which keep for 2-3 weeks, alot of our food has yellow stickers and i most definatly couldn't manage without my chest freezer but we do eat quite healthy
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • SmallL
    • By SmallL 12th Jul 11, 7:14 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 1,453 Thanks
    SmallL
    This is where a lot of costs arise too. Oil, butter and other cupboard fillers, rice, pasta, seasoning, sauces are costs quite a lot of money and add up.

I shop for offers all the time and never buy anything but economy to save money.
    Originally posted by m33r4
    Have you tried a local foreign foods market/supermarket to get rice? they usually have big sacks quite cheap.
    • m33r4
    • By m33r4 12th Jul 11, 7:36 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    m33r4
    Have you tried a local foreign foods market/supermarket to get rice? they usually have big sacks quite cheap.
    Originally posted by SmallL
    My local one sells brown rice (which takes long to cook so more gas is used) costs 6 for 5 kg.

Basmati rice = 8-10 for 5kg.

2 litre oil (lasts me 2-3 weeks depending on how often I fry) = nearly 4 .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,514Posts Today

9,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin