Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hampshirebabe
    • By hampshirebabe 26th Dec 06, 11:01 AM
    • 600Posts
    • 152Thanks
    hampshirebabe
    reuse goose fat?
    • 26th Dec 06, 11:01 AM
    reuse goose fat? 26th Dec 06 at 11:01 AM
    I did some fantastic roast potatoes yesterday using goose fat, and today we're having another roast, so do you think I can reuse the fat again.
    I'm sure I remember something about how the heat changes the properties of it, but then, they must heat it to get it in the tin in the 1st place.
    Mary
Page 1
  • oibaldy
    • 26th Dec 06, 11:37 AM
    • 26th Dec 06, 11:37 AM
    Any restaurant that cooks spuds in either duck or goose fat is not going to throw the fat out after only one use, just as chip shops also reuse their, albiet cheaper, fat several times.

Personally, I would reuse it as the strength of flavour from goose fat will still be present to make your roast taste better than using more conventional fats.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Dec 06, 12:24 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 26th Dec 06, 12:24 PM
    • 26th Dec 06, 12:24 PM
    Hi hampshirebabe,

I reuse goosefat. I strain it through a piece of kitchen roll to get any bits out and keep it in the fridge.

Pink
    • hazzie123
    • By hazzie123 26th Dec 06, 1:02 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    hazzie123
    • 26th Dec 06, 1:02 PM
    • 26th Dec 06, 1:02 PM
    I waited till it cooled down and drained it back into the jar and put it back in the fridge.At £2.99 I paid for it I aint just gunna make one batch of roasties out of it.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 26th Dec 06, 1:10 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 26th Dec 06, 1:10 PM
    • 26th Dec 06, 1:10 PM
    I reuse it I roasted a 14 lb goose yesterday and must have saved 3 pints of the stuff. Obviously it's already been heated up. I've poured it into freezer tubs and frozen it.
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 26th Dec 06, 1:45 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,181 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 26th Dec 06, 1:45 PM
    • 26th Dec 06, 1:45 PM
    I also have loads of goose fat left over from yesterday, ive got a bowl full in the fridge, which will keep me going a few weeks, and then i have more in the freezer for when thats used up!!!! Yesterdays roasties were lovely, and i sieved the fat back into the bowl, and when cool, went back in the fridge.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 26th Dec 06, 1:48 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 26th Dec 06, 1:48 PM
    • 26th Dec 06, 1:48 PM
    Of course you don't have to keep it for roast potatoes. Use it whenever you need to fry something. I believe it is unsaturated fat because it is so soft. Can anyone confirm that, or have I made it up ?
  • kazzzyliz
    • 26th Dec 06, 8:47 PM
    • 26th Dec 06, 8:47 PM
    Can anyone tell me where you get goose fat from ,not seen it about would love to do some roasties in it ,thanks.
    kazzylizzy

2 savings club - - - 8
    • jessicamb
    • By jessicamb 26th Dec 06, 9:40 PM
    • 10,066 Posts
    • 5,985 Thanks
    jessicamb
    • 26th Dec 06, 9:40 PM
    • 26th Dec 06, 9:40 PM
    Can anyone tell me where you get goose fat from ,not seen it about would love to do some roasties in it ,thanks.
    by kazzzyliz
    I got some in Morrisons - I think it was less than £2 but dont hold me to it as remembering costs and non special offer prices arent a strong point

It was with the cooked chicken/ready made Yorkshire puddings and gravy if that helps.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
  • tawnyowls
    If you clarify the fat, it lasts longer. You put it in a saucepan and cover with cold water, bring to the boil, removing any scum that rises. Strain into a bowl and leave to cool. When it's hard, scrape off any bits. When you come to use it, heat it slowly at first to get rid of any residual water.
  • crispeater
    by kazzzyliz

i got a jar of it out of tescos and i know my friend brought some out of sainsburys.. its in the chilled counters if my memory serves me right
    It only seems kinky the first time..
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 27th Dec 06, 1:30 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    I put mine through a coffee filter paper.
    Still got last years' goose fat!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • troll35
    • By troll35 1st Jan 07, 6:49 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    troll35
    We had goose today. I now have over a litre of goose fat in the fridge. Does anyone know how long it will last. I could freeze some of it, but it's the sort of stuff I tend to forget about once I've frozen it.

I used a bit on our roast spuds and parsnips. They were lovely. I only used a small amount which I tossed the veg in to lightly coat them before roasting.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land
    • Lola23
    • By Lola23 2nd Jan 07, 10:15 AM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Lola23
    by kazzzyliz

Bought mine in Asda, think it was about 1.99 for the jar. First time I've tried it and the potatoes were lovely.
    Never say Never
    • kittie
    • By kittie 3rd Feb 07, 6:31 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,058 Thanks
    kittie
    I still have 2 large tubs of goose fat left over from one christmas goose. We don`t often have roast potatoes so I am setting my mind to search out ways of using this fat up

I found a few recipes here and I`ll particularly take note of the dumpling recipe
    http://www.goosefat.co.uk/GFW_01.html

I suppose there is frying onions etc but at this rate I`m still going to have goose fat in the fridge next christmas. Help
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 3rd Feb 07, 6:55 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Kittie I've still got some goosefat in my freezer. I've been using it as you would any other fat, but not for baking. I chip bits off the frozen block and use to soften veg for soups, frying potatoes etc.
  • anniebooklover
    I had never used goose fat before last Christmas but I must admit I did reuse it because it cost so much. I didn't know if it actually could be reused but I went ahead and did it anyway. We are all still alive and kicking.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 3rd Feb 07, 7:20 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,058 Thanks
    kittie
    Ah thriftlay what you`re saying is really os. I don`t know why I haven`t been doing that. Fantastic, I`ll probably be using a bit most days now. All it needed was a sensible brain!!
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 3rd Feb 07, 7:54 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    My butcher does this and I was thinking way OTT for one use, but if it's ok to reuse I think I will get some next time I am in as every says how lovely it is for roasties
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 27th Sep 09, 2:28 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    Right, i "treated" myself to some goose fat and am laying on a roast dinner for myself.

The butcher told me to use a brush and brush on the fat to the pots. The jar says to heat it in the oven and then coat - i usually do this, and use sunflower oil, so the goose fat experience is new to me.

So can anyone tell me best way to use it? Heat it, dont heat it? also, unsure quantity wise - although I am glad to see it can be reused.

Dead excited about roast dinner, living alone it's such a task but I feel I'm worth it today. Butcher put the chicken in a roasting bag, so Im off to look up what to do with chicken fat and how to make gravy (as there is loads of moisure comes out )

Weeeeee!

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,522Posts Today

7,418Users online

Martin's Twitter