Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 27th Jun 11, 1:45 PM
    • 1,226Posts
    • 3,556Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Discuss the free solar panel company: A Shade Greener
    • 27th Jun 11, 1:45 PM
    Discuss the free solar panel company: A Shade Greener 27th Jun 11 at 1:45 PM
    This thread is specifically to discuss feedback for
    A Shade Greener (Link)

If you've had solar panels installed by this company, we'd love to know how it went, so we can improve the guide. Things we'd like to know:

• Whereabouts are you?
    • How smooth was the panel-fitting process?
    • How much did you save on your electricity bill?
    • How long did you have to wait for the panels?
    • What are your tips to ensure you get the most out of the free panels?
    • Were there any technical glitches?
    • What should other MoneySavers watch out for when signing up?

CLICK REPLY TO FEEDBACK

To read about solar panels in general, see the main:
    Solar panels guide

Thank you for your help

Don't miss another deal! Get MoneySavingExpert's Weekly Email
    It's full of new guides, tips, & loopholes; free & spam free
Page 12
    • Kinbobs
    • By Kinbobs 5th Aug 17, 5:37 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kinbobs
    Hi I'm trying to sell my house and having huge problems with ASG not responding. When we agreed to have the panels installed we were told we would not have a problem selling our house? Maybe we wouldn't if they would help . Feel very let down by them.
    • z.j.c
    • By z.j.c 7th Aug 17, 9:50 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    z.j.c
    They are full of promises but in reality they didn't update there leases to comply with CML Guidelines.

I now deem myself an expert at this having dealt with them for 6 weeks getting my own lease changed so please feel free to ask questions.
    • Glevum Owl
    • By Glevum Owl 9th Aug 17, 11:05 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Glevum Owl
    We've just taken on the task of selling a relative's house with ASG solar panels fitted.

The buyer's solicitor is asking for a planning permission and building regulations paperwork for the ASG solar panels fitted in 2014.

AFAIK planning permission isn't required unless the panels are fitted to a listed building. However I've no idea about building regs.

Anyone have any experience in this, please?
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 9th Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    • 4,342 Posts
    • 5,785 Thanks
    zeupater
    We've just taken on the task of selling a relative's house with ASG solar panels fitted.

The buyer's solicitor is asking for a planning permission and building regulations paperwork for the ASG solar panels fitted in 2014.

AFAIK planning permission isn't required unless the panels are fitted to a listed building. However I've no idea about building regs.

Anyone have any experience in this, please?
    Originally posted by Glevum Owl
    Hi

Building regs would call for either a building regs application or the installer to be a member of a competent persons scheme and act accordingly ... as part of having MCS accreditation, installers must be covered by recognised schemes, therefore I don't really follow the solicitor's logic .... if there's a MCS number & database entry then, unless ASG/the installer cheated and didn't conform to the rules, the installation would conform to regulations by default ... then again, if they did cheat then ASG would lose access to the FiT scheme which they farm, so there's no incentive for them to even consider it ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Glevum Owl
    • By Glevum Owl 14th Aug 17, 10:57 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Glevum Owl
    Building regs would call for either a building regs application or the installer to be a member of a competent persons scheme and act accordingly ... as part of having MCS accreditation, installers must be covered by recognised schemes, therefore I don't really follow the solicitor's logic .... if there's a MCS number & database entry then, unless ASG/the installer cheated and didn't conform to the rules, the installation would conform to regulations by default ... then again, if they did cheat then ASG would lose access to the FiT scheme which they farm, so there's no incentive for them to even consider it ....
    Originally posted by zeupater
    Thanks for the reply. I couldn't understand the solicitor's query either as I've already provided a surveyor's report and informed them of ASG's MCS accreditation. I suspect they're not that bright as they've also asked how much of the FIT payment the householder receives.....
    • lozjay
    • By lozjay 18th Aug 17, 1:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lozjay
    Hey Z.J.C

ASG had no problems agreeing to change the lease - as by the time we came round to getting it done they said it was a regular occurance. However they actually took the Mick to get the paperwork changed and sent back to the vendors solicitors, who then passed it to our solicitor who then got our lenders approval (yey). It was then sent off to the land registry on Wednesday just gone. Absolutely everything else is in place, we have signed today etc, so just waiting for Land registry. Have you any idea how long the land registry take? We are so anxious to get in to our new home, its held everything up by 6 weeks already.

Thanks
    • Ray H
    • By Ray H 22nd Aug 17, 12:11 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ray H
    Hi ZJC
    can you give details of contact names and numbers or email addresses as I too have a 2 removal contract and have been unable to contact the in-house Solicitor
    • HafezAbdo
    • By HafezAbdo 22nd Aug 17, 9:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HafezAbdo
    Not worth it - Risk of leasing roof to ASG is significant
    I leased my Roof to ASG in 2014. The saving on my electricity bills is in the range of 50-70. You cannot do much to benefit more from the panels as they generate electricity during the day (when the sun shines) and you are at work!
    The company does not have professional customer service officers. Many problems reported by stakeholders across the UK. Pigeons nesting under the panels is one of them, and if you approach ASG to sort this out they will ask you to pay them 1,000 +.
    The lease contract does not allow you *as a landlord) a right to cancel the lease! this makes it unbalanced.
    for more issues reported about this company, see A Spokesmansaid website

My advice, never let them close your house, believe me the hassle and stress you get from trying to sort a very small issue with ASG exceeds the benefit you obtain from the solar panels too many times
    • HafezAbdo
    • By HafezAbdo 22nd Aug 17, 9:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HafezAbdo
    How did you do it?
    Can you please advice what changes you managed to make to the lease contract?
    • z.j.c
    • By z.j.c 23rd Aug 17, 8:18 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    z.j.c
    LozJay

I let ASG submit the lease to the land registry instead of the solicitors and it took them less than a week to get it applied.

My solicitor said it would take them up to 6 weeks but ASG said they can speed up the process.
    • z.j.c
    • By z.j.c 23rd Aug 17, 12:23 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    z.j.c
    HafezAbdo

Hi, I have responded to your PM but to summarise I was able to change my lease to include the following two clauses;

Last edited by z.j.c; 23-08-2017 at 12:25 PM.
    • Ray H
    • By Ray H 28th Aug 17, 9:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ray H
    Hi again z.j.c.
    do you have email addresses, telephone number or contact names at ASG regarding lease changes?
    • z.j.c
    • By z.j.c 29th Aug 17, 7:52 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    z.j.c
    Ray

Happy to discuss if you PM me

Thanks
    ZJC
    • ThinnedSlicely
    • By ThinnedSlicely 30th Oct 17, 9:29 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ThinnedSlicely
    I am just in the same position as some of the posters above.

We are poised to move, with a very short chain, and the only thing that has come up is the solar panels. Fitted in 2013 with ASG. Of course, it's been flagged by my buyer's solicitors that the lease isn't CML compliant, and they explained why and what is missing.

Trying to get hold of ASG is frustrating- they don't have a hold system (leave message and then disconnected), email autoreplies with "we'll get to you in 7 working days", and FB help just give you email addresses.

Really need to sort this ASAP, if anyone can give any pointers with their experiences, this would be much appreciated.
    • z.j.c
    • By z.j.c 31st Oct 17, 10:59 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    z.j.c
    Hey

Your best calling on 01226 369990 you will more than likely get straight through to someone then.

You need to speak with the legal department was a lady called Sharron in July but could of changed.

My best advice then - keep on at them otherwise you wont get anywhere.
    • ThinnedSlicely
    • By ThinnedSlicely 31st Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ThinnedSlicely
    Thanks z.j.c, I have PM'd you also.

I'll post on here what progress I make, but initially I am waiting out the 7 day response time they have quoted before I go all in.
    • ThinnedSlicely
    • By ThinnedSlicely 9th Nov 17, 3:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ThinnedSlicely
    Well, I have been pleasantly surprised.

After waiting out the 7 day period, I gave them a call. Phone answered immediately, very helpful lady took my details, and said a draft Deed of Variation would be sent to my solicitor before close of play. Sure enough, 3 hours later, there it was.

A few days later I called back to get a copy of the roof survey ,which is a requirement apparently, and they emailed it to me within minutes.

So, whatever problems they have had in the past, it appears to be sorted now.
    • zharrt
    • By zharrt 30th Jul 18, 4:51 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    zharrt
    Help!

I have solar panels installed in 2013, I thought I kept all the paper work associated with the installation, but I am not trying to sell my house and the buyers solicitors have asked for "standard vendors information pack" which I cannot find, or ever have the recollection of receiving.

I have tried to speak to ASG but they are closed, does anyone have a copy of this pack and can tell me what it contains?
    • Glevum Owl
    • By Glevum Owl 6th Aug 18, 8:30 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Glevum Owl
    Recently had to organise the sale of not one but two houses for elderly relatives both of which had solar panels attached. We had no trouble obtaining the necessary documentation from A Shade Greener.

Try calling them on this number during working hours:
    Last edited by Glevum Owl; 06-08-2018 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Typos
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,060Posts Today

8,239Users online

Martin's Twitter