Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • lone avenger
    • 25th Jul 11, 9:21 PM
    • 25th Jul 11, 9:21 PM
    Anyone been ripped off by Kwikfit?
    • harveybobbles
    • By harveybobbles 26th Jul 11, 9:32 AM
    • 8,748 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    harveybobbles
    • 26th Jul 11, 9:32 AM
    • 26th Jul 11, 9:32 AM
    Anyone been ripped off by Kwikfit?
    Originally posted by lone avenger
    Every KF customer. However, I don't think this is what this thread is about...
    • harveybobbles
    • By harveybobbles 26th Jul 11, 9:35 AM
    • 8,748 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    harveybobbles
    • 26th Jul 11, 9:35 AM
    • 26th Jul 11, 9:35 AM
    P - petrol (or diesel)

E - electric (as in lights)

T - tyres (pressure, tread and condition)

R - road view (as in screen wash, wipers etc)

O - oil level

L - levels of other fluids.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 28th Sep 11, 10:13 PM
    • 10,771 Posts
    • 10,676 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 28th Sep 11, 10:13 PM
    • 28th Sep 11, 10:13 PM
    Some of the advice in this article is pretty misleading that I felt I had to point it out.

Regarding the free MOT coverage for up to a month if you get the MOT a month early; you're still covered until the same end date whether you get the MOT on expiry or a month earlier. Yes you're better getting a MOT within the month of it running out to maximise the time versus getting it done even earlier, but since it's not common practice to get an MOT done more than a couple of weeks early it's not really a money saving tip.
    To make it clearer you should be saying something along the lines of: Don't renew your MOT too early; if you renew your MOT more than a month before your MOT is due, it's valid a year from the test, but if you renew within a month of the renewal it's valid a year from the origional renewal.

Regarding saving fuel by filling up more regularly; yes ok, you're saving about a Kg of load for each litre you don't fill up, but the marginal economy savings could be completely wiped out by having to fuel up more often if you need to queue up more or have to go out of your way to get fuel. You'd save more money in fuel by only filling up as you're passing a petrol station anyway, rather than making a specific trip to it.
    It's also worth noting that it might not be worth travelling miles out of the way to say pennies on fuel; if you travel far enough you risk wasting more money on fuel getting to the petrol station and back then you save by getting 1p/l discount on fuel.

One thing I was told was that as the fuel is more dense when it's colder, the cheapest time to fill up is at night or colder days. The difference is probably negligable, but then so is only driving about on a quarter tank.

Edit: For people commuting to work it's also worth considering if there are any car pooling opportunities available (then you can split the fuel and parking costs), or if there are any suitable park and ride schemes (where you park on the outskirts of a city and get a bus/train/subway into town, where you save on fuel, parking and hassle).
    Last edited by Herzlos; 28-09-2011 at 10:17 PM.
  • General_Mayhem
    • 29th Sep 11, 10:48 AM
    • 29th Sep 11, 10:48 AM
    4 - Don't buy premium fuels for standard cars.

This is misleading - Premium fuels can deliver some significant (10-20%) fuel economy savings, but you have to understand how to get the benefit. There are two parts to Premium fuels which may effect your engine:
    1. Octane Number, or RON. This is the 95, 97 etc rating of the fuel, and describes how quickly it burns. Generally your car engine is tuned to a particular fuel, and this is where the "unless you have a sports car" in the tips come from. But it is not quite as simple as that. If you have a car with variable valve timing (variously called VVT, SVT, VVA, VTEC, Multiair by different manufacturers, and I'm sure there are more), your car monitors how the fuel burns, and will therefore make the most of whatever fuel you feed it. If you have a "normal" engine in a "normal" car, it will be tuned to RON 95 and there is no benefit from the higher octane fuel. If you have a sportier "normal" engine tuned to RON97+ it may "pink" on RON 95 fuel, and will deliver better economy (and not ruin you catalytic converter) on RON 97+

2. Detergents. The new(ish) wave of "branded" fuels like BP Ultimate, Shell V-Power etc differ from bog standard RON 98 fuel by the addition of detergents that help clean your engine. These help remove sooty and oily deposits that build up in your engine, and are what leads to most people noticing a big improvement after trying out the new premium fuels. This is nothing new, products like RedEx etc have been around for donkey's years and do the same thing. The key here is that you only really need to use it every 10 or so fills to get the benefit, as the deposits do take time to build up.

The long and the short of it is that for most cars, it is probably worth filling up with premium fuel every 10 or so tanks, and for cars that can benefit from higher octane fuel, it may be worth it all the time.
    • longplay
    • By longplay 25th Jan 12, 10:18 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    longplay
    • 25th Jan 12, 10:18 PM
    Motor Factors
    • 25th Jan 12, 10:18 PM
    Don't bother with eBay and Amazon for parts, too risky and time-consuming, plus postage costs.

Best place for cheap parts?* Head to your local motor factor.

I'm constantly amazed people are unaware that motor factors exist. These are the people who supply the parts to the garages who work on your car. Most of them are happy to take over-the-counter trade, they're staffed by experts who can help you get the right part (and backed up by vast computerised catalog systems, all they usually need is your reg and, sometimes, an idea of what the part looks like).

If nothing else, they can save you money on the things you can still fit yourself (batteries, wiper blades, bulbs, etc) as well as all the fluids you pour in/on (washer fluid, oil, anti-freeze, de-icer).

A quick web search will turn up plenty in any town.

* Yes, I'm biased, I work for one.
  • Muhsen2
    • 28th Mar 12, 10:04 AM
    • 28th Mar 12, 10:04 AM
    What's anti pollution fault in my peugeot 207
  • Muhsen2
    • 28th Mar 12, 10:06 AM
    Anti pollutin fault
    • 28th Mar 12, 10:06 AM
    Muhsen2;52090711]What's anti pollution fault in my peugeot 207
    • Mupette
    • By Mupette 2nd Apr 12, 5:42 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 6,945 Thanks
    Mupette
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=52204855&posted=1#post52204855

This is something to be looked at,. relevant to point 34.

New rules for driving in France this year.

GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))

• jdifa
    • By jdifa 27th Jun 12, 5:18 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jdifa
    Join the Institute of advanced motorists
    Join the Institute of advanced motorists. You will save on wear and tear and insurance is considerably lower cost as the insurerrecognises the lower risk from advanced drivers.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 27th Jun 12, 5:46 PM
    • 10,445 Posts
    • 13,133 Thanks
    vikingaero
    Join the Institute of advanced motorists. You will save on wear and tear and insurance is considerably lower cost as the insurerrecognises the lower risk from advanced drivers.
    Originally posted by jdifa
    Save money by going along to your local IAM Group first for a trial session. I found my local group to be a bunch of moaning jobsworths. Of course not every group will be the same and some I imagine will be very friendly and accommodating.
    The man without a signature.
    • fivetide
    • By fivetide 3rd Sep 12, 12:23 PM
    • 3,676 Posts
    • 3,936 Thanks
    fivetide
    4 - Don't buy premium fuels for standard cars.

This is misleading - Premium fuels can deliver some significant (10-20%) fuel economy savings,
    Originally posted by General_Mayhem
    Sorry but I think this is wrong. The fuel manufacturers don't even claim that and Shell had to pull their fuel save adverts for having detergents in the fuel to help save 1ltr a tank because they couldn't actually prove it.

but you have to understand how to get the benefit. There are two parts to Premium fuels which may effect your engine:
    1. Octane Number, or RON. This is the 95, 97 etc rating of the fuel, and describes how quickly it burns. Generally your car engine is tuned to a particular fuel, and this is where the "unless you have a sports car" in the tips come from. But it is not quite as simple as that. If you have a car with variable valve timing (variously called VVT, SVT, VVA, VTEC, Multiair by different manufacturers, and I'm sure there are more), your car monitors how the fuel burns, and will therefore make the most of whatever fuel you feed it. If you have a "normal" engine in a "normal" car, it will be tuned to RON 95 and there is no benefit from the higher octane fuel. If you have a sportier "normal" engine tuned to RON97+ it may "pink" on RON 95 fuel, and will deliver better economy (and not ruin you catalytic converter) on RON 97+
    If you have a UK bought and supplied car with no modifcations it should run fine on 95 a sporty model or otherwise. the only exceptions I can think of are cars that are very highly tuned, such as Subaru STi's which specificy super unleaded (although they can be run on 95 as the ECU allows for it. you get less power but not necessarily less mpg. To suggest a VTEC Ford Focus is going to pink on 95 fuel is misleading I think.

2. Detergents. The new(ish) wave of "branded" fuels like BP Ultimate, Shell V-Power etc differ from bog standard RON 98 fuel by the addition of detergents that help clean your engine. These help remove sooty and oily deposits that build up in your engine, and are what leads to most people noticing a big improvement after trying out the new premium fuels. This is nothing new, products like RedEx etc have been around for donkey's years and do the same thing. The key here is that you only really need to use it every 10 or so fills to get the benefit, as the deposits do take time to build up.
    There might be some truth here although I would refer you back to the Fuel Save claims again!

Best thing for an engine is the occasional long run and a little bit of rev to open the valves properly once in a while. Tootling round town will not let the motor get up to temp properly premium fuel or not.

The long and the short of it is that for most cars, it is probably worth filling up with premium fuel every 10 or so tanks, and for cars that can benefit from higher octane fuel, it may be worth it all the time.
    Agree in principle, once in a while might help, especially if going on a long run but essentially, no need to worry unless your car has super unleaded specified by the manufacturer.

5t.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 3rd Sep 12, 4:45 PM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    I recently got a nearly-new Honda Jazz (i-VTEC). Just noticed that the owner's manual says

Fuel Recommendation
    Your vehicle is designed to operate on Premium/Super unleaded petrol with a Research Octane Number (RON) of 95 or higher.
    I thought standard unleaded was 95 ? Dealer didn't mention that I should be using special petrol. Should I just (continue to) ignore this ?
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 3rd Sep 12, 4:55 PM
    • 10,445 Posts
    • 13,133 Thanks
    vikingaero
    95 RON is standard. But in many European countries and the USA a lower 91 RON unleaded is available... and fantastic to run hire cars on.
    The man without a signature.
    • fivetide
    • By fivetide 3rd Sep 12, 5:03 PM
    • 3,676 Posts
    • 3,936 Thanks
    fivetide
    I recently got a nearly-new Honda Jazz (i-VTEC). Just noticed that the owner's manual says

I thought standard unleaded was 95 ? Dealer didn't mention that I should be using special petrol. Should I just (continue to) ignore this ?
    Originally posted by psychic teabag

Yes your car is quite happy on 95 OR higher. The important thing is not to use anything lower (or put diesel in it ha!).

Even as a VTEC you will not get a performance boost using higher octain fuel.

5t.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
    • Yogibear
    • By Yogibear 3rd Apr 13, 1:19 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Yogibear
    have we all stopped driving in 2013
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 3rd Apr 13, 6:37 PM
    • 29,669 Posts
    • 12,191 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Everyones stuck on the M25. Another couple of months before they get home.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
  • smartgolfer
    Halfords Service Center Llandudno
    Hello everyone, i just want to share new of my 'Victory' on taking on Halfords for doing 'Unauthorised Work' on my car recently.

I took my car in for a service and MOT, its a BMW 118 08plate with full service history, BMW main agents are notoriously expensive, but i want to maintain the histroy angle, anyway, it went in, and as usual, Halfords sold me two extras, a fuel filter, and brake fluid change, its ok i dont mind that, i did check that this would be an anomaly.

On collection i was told that the wheels were out of balance and that there was an extra charge for rebalancing, i challenged it, the manager was quite adamant he was within his rights to do this, i gain challenged that, and wanted to know why i was not informed of extra work, anyway, i paid it under protest.

A few days later i got a customer questionaire, filled it in, Customer Service Halfords wanted to know if they could help, so i left it with them, they came back and found that i was in the wrong and Halfords were right.

I was infuriated, i checked Consumer Law and wrote a email of 'Intent Before Action', outlining the problem and should they not resolve this, it would end up in the Small Claims Court.

Heard nothing, 7 days passed, so i paid my fee with Small Claims, the following day, 'today' i receieved a cheque from Halfords!!!

Now i have to stop the court proceeding...sigh...

Advice to all.....dont give up... keep records and fight back.

Halfords do this all the time apparently, in order to boost revenue through unsuspecting customers.

By the way, i did contact Trading Standards, but they were not interested.

Good Luck everyone.
  • smartgolfer
    Halfords Service Center Llandudno
    Hi everyone, what i forgot to tell you, was i only had a new set of tyres fitted 3 months ago, and Halfords rebalanced my tyres without my permission or informing of intent, thats where the problem was...

Good luck if you have issues with Halfords!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

108Posts Today

2,576Users online

Martin's Twitter