Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
  • The Zone
    Virgin SMS to landline voice text message
    So much misinformation about this Virgin SMS to landline voice text message " The number 07953 966066 is not a hoax or a scam but the mobile number the message came from could be friend or foe"

Your message is merely a text message sent to your landline and converted to speech but because it is text-speech (Electronic Voice) often the message is garbled and not always easy to understand because people who send text messages typically abbreviate (shorten) words using "Text Speak", the automated service reads whatever the sender typed!. The Mobile telephone number the message came from could be a friend or relative etc. unfortunately the service is open to abuse.. (It could possibly be from someone trying to sell you something, It could also be a text sent to the wrong number) so if you don't recognise the mobile number just search for it and make your own informed decision to either respond or not... “Bare in mind the message is often genuine but not always”

But 07953 966066 in itself is not a hoax number!.. I received around 7 or 8 perfectly genuine messages from friends which I ignored until a friend asked me why I didn’t reply to the message!..
  • The Zone
    So much misinformation about this Virgin SMS to landline voice text message " The number 07953 966066 is not a hoax or a scam but the mobile number the message came from could be friend or foe"

Your message is merely a text message sent to your landline and converted to speech but because it is text-speech (Electronic Voice) often the message is garbled and not always easy to understand because people who send text messages typically abbreviate (shorten) words using "Text Speak", the automated service reads whatever the sender typed!. The Mobile telephone number the message came from could be a friend or relative etc. unfortunately the service is open to abuse.. (It could possibly be from someone trying to sell you something, It could also be a text sent to the wrong number) so if you don't recognise the mobile number just search for it and make your own informed decision to either respond or not... !!!8220;Bare in mind the message is often genuine but not always!!!8221;

But 07953 966066 in itself is not a hoax number!.. I received around 7 or 8 perfectly genuine messages from friends which I ignored until a friend asked me why I didn!!!8217;t reply to the message!..
    • sarahRJ
    • By sarahRJ 15th Jul 15, 5:31 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sarahRJ
    Hello, Not a scam its a text message from a mobile to your landline. That doesn't mean its someone you know or a message you want, but its not a scam in itself. Someone sent you the message.
  • beastjones
    I receive spam call. But she was speaking in other language.
    • John99999
    • By John99999 25th Nov 15, 4:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    John99999
    John99999
    I have today received an unsolicited text from my mobile signal supplier to say "Sorry, it was not possible to deliver your text message to 01625660544". I never sent a text, the whole thing appears "iffy".
    • Hoochypooch
    • By Hoochypooch 2nd Jun 17, 12:07 AM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    Hoochypooch
    This is basically a scam isn't it?

I mean you are paying telecoms company to hear a mystery message.

This in not right, the message send should pay all costs.

I is like the postman saying he has a letter for you but if you want to open it you have to pay, even though it could be junk mail, or indeed a scam when the telecoms company sends messages to you and you have to pay to see what it says.

It is essentially a scam, scandalous and the regulator should not allow you to be held to ransom by it is messaging service.

The sender should bear all costs.
    • redux
    • By redux 2nd Jun 17, 12:37 AM
    • 18,239 Posts
    • 24,131 Thanks
    redux
    This is basically a scam isn't it?

I mean you are paying telecoms company to hear a mystery message.

This in not right, the message send should pay all costs.

I is like the postman saying he has a letter for you but if you want to open it you have to pay, even though it could be junk mail, or indeed a scam when the telecoms company sends messages to you and you have to pay to see what it says.

It is essentially a scam, scandalous and the regulator should not allow you to be held to ransom by it is messaging service.

The sender should bear all costs.
    Originally posted by Hoochypooch
    Almost none of your post is true.

It isn't a scam, as plenty of posts above tell you.

You are not charged for receiving the call containing the message, but the source will indeed be paying, so there is no need for regulatory action.

If you miss the incoming call, you can dial 1471 free to find out the number. If you call the number to retrieve the message, then you would be charged. But you aren't obliged to; I assume it will try again later, like BT's own text delivery service does.
    • loughlini
    • By loughlini 6th Mar 18, 4:50 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    loughlini
    Rang today to say someone from 'Places 4 People' would be at my son's flat at 15:30. We rang P4P (the housing association) to ask the reason for the visit. P4P had no record of any such planned visit. This is very worrying since the caller implied that they had some knowledge of our affairs, eg renting a property, etc. Or did they just want us out of our house so they come and burgle it whilst we were out ?
    These scam calls are getting worse. I notice the first entry in this thread is dated 2011, we are now 2018. Have the scammers re-enabled this number?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    • 33,199 Posts
    • 39,145 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Number spoofing is simple , it's not the "real " number
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,359Users online

Martin's Twitter