Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penny Watcher
    • By Penny Watcher 12th Dec 06, 7:43 AM
    • 3,412Posts
    • 5,824Thanks
    Penny Watcher
    Embarrassed to ask - How do you use brandy butter
    • 12th Dec 06, 7:43 AM
    Embarrassed to ask - How do you use brandy butter 12th Dec 06 at 7:43 AM
    Every year my Mum gives me a tub of HM brandy butter, and every year it sits in the fridge until February and then I throw it away.

So in the spirit of Money Saving I thought I'd ask what I'm supposed to do with it rather than waste it.

OH says use on hot toast, but I don't think boozey breakfasts are a good idea.

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please GIVE BLOOD - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 52 pints so far.
Page 1
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 12th Dec 06, 8:02 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 12th Dec 06, 8:02 AM
    • 12th Dec 06, 8:02 AM
    Hi Penny Watcher,

I've seen it used in place of cream with mince pies and Christmas pudding, but I don't like it so I don't use it. Hopefully someone who does will come along soon.

Pink
  • joggyb
    • 12th Dec 06, 8:05 AM
    • 12th Dec 06, 8:05 AM
    You put a good-sized dollop of it on your piece of Christmas pud, and let it begin to melt and ooze its buttery, brandy-y yumminess into your pud - and then gobble the whole lot up!!

You could also make brandy butter ice-cream - recipe here:

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipes_result.asp?name=brandybuttericecream

Enjoy! (or send it over to me.. )
    • catznine
    • By catznine 12th Dec 06, 8:20 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 12th Dec 06, 8:20 AM
    • 12th Dec 06, 8:20 AM
    Pop a spoonful onto a hot mincemeat pie! Yummy!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
    • dannahaz
    • By dannahaz 12th Dec 06, 8:38 AM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 4,413 Thanks
    dannahaz
    • 12th Dec 06, 8:38 AM
    • 12th Dec 06, 8:38 AM
    The key thing is that you let it

melt and ooze its buttery, brandy-y yumminess into your pud - and then gobble the whole lot up!!
    by joggyb
    So it works really well with hot things that go well with brandy. Apples spring to mind - stewed, baked, or pie-d.
    • Penny Watcher
    • By Penny Watcher 12th Dec 06, 8:58 AM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 5,824 Thanks
    Penny Watcher
    • 12th Dec 06, 8:58 AM
    Lightbulb Moment
    • 12th Dec 06, 8:58 AM
    Ah ha! Thanks all. Now I know.

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please GIVE BLOOD - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 52 pints so far.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 12th Dec 06, 9:14 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 12th Dec 06, 9:14 AM
    • 12th Dec 06, 9:14 AM
    I don't think I've ever had brandy butter either. My Mum always made syllabub to serve with the pudding. It's a tradition I've carried on.

For those who may not know syllabub is a very old English recipe for a sweetened alcoholic cream. It's really easy to make. Grate a lemon and soak the rind with some sugar and a bit of brandy and white wine. Leave overnight then strain and whip in lots of double cream.
  • kathyd
    • 12th Dec 06, 9:41 AM
    • 12th Dec 06, 9:41 AM
    Hi Penny - I think your husband's idea of having it spread on hot toast sounds quite yummy. I suppose you could also use it when making a bread and butter pudding. Mmmmmmm

• liz..
    • 12th Dec 06, 9:56 AM
    • 12th Dec 06, 9:56 AM
    I make a cinnamon and raisin bread in the BM and we have it toasted with brandy butter on in a morning...send the kids out to school reeking of booze!
  • Lillibet
    Pretty much use it in place of hot custard, delish on apple & cinnamon pie or anything warm
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 12th Dec 06, 11:23 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Oh, Lillibet, sorry this off topic, but I so agree with your signature I bang on about this to my ds2 every year, I tell him if he calls him santa then Father Christmas won't come
  • jellyang
    Great recipe in the Sommerfield xmas magazine.

1 peeled satsuma
    I teaspoon brandy butter
    pinch mixed spices

Wrap in tinfoil & bake in the oven for 10 minutes.

Sounds yummy to me
    • LizEstelle
    • By LizEstelle 12th Dec 06, 8:20 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    LizEstelle
    You can use it on virtually any traditional-type hot pudding!
  • TKP
    This year I am trying a variation on brandy butter :

Boozy Caramel Custard
    (Good Housekeeping Dec 06)

142ml single cream
    150ml milk
    3tbsp Baileys
    2 medium egg yolks
    25g light brown sugar

Heat the cream and milk in a small pan to just below boiling point. Turn off the heat and stir in the Baileys.
    Meanwhile use a wooden spoon to stir the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl. Slowly pour the cream mixture on to the sugar and eggs, stirring to mix everything together.
    Rinse out the pan, then pour the mixture back in.
    Bring the custard to the boil over a medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 8-10 min until slightly thickened.
    Pour into a warm jug and serve with Christmas pudding.

I hope it tastes good
  • kathyd
    This year I am trying a variation on brandy butter :

Boozy Caramel Custard
    (Good Housekeeping Dec 06)

142ml single cream
    150ml milk
    3tbsp Baileys
    2 medium egg yolks
    25g light brown sugar

Heat the cream and milk in a small pan to just below boiling point. Turn off the heat and stir in the Baileys.
    Meanwhile use a wooden spoon to stir the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl. Slowly pour the cream mixture on to the sugar and eggs, stirring to mix everything together.
    Rinse out the pan, then pour the mixture back in.
    Bring the custard to the boil over a medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 8-10 min until slightly thickened.
    Pour into a warm jug and serve with Christmas pudding.

I hope it tastes good
    by TKP
    I'd skip the milk, cream, eggs and sugar and go straight for the Baileys over the pud
  • jembie
    Thank you so much for this thread Penny watcher!
    Last year I got a jar of AWT Brandy butter in my Hamper but it has sat in my cupboard all year because I didn't know what I was supposed to be done with it. I guess I could have Googled but the thought never occurred to me LOL.

There will be another jar of it in this year's hamper so I am now going to go to town with all these lovely yummy sounding ideas.

Thanks to everyone who has replied even though I didn't ask the Question
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't ever stop believing........
    Never get tired of watching you, someday you will break through.....
  • kethry
    I'm gonna come over all scrooge like now, but i cannot fathom for the life of me why anyone BUYS brandy butter!!!!

has anyone sat down and looked at the recipe for it?

butter - brown sugar - brandy. thats it. or rum, if you'd rather rum butter. If you can make a victoria sponge you can make brandy butter. You can even make it a week or two in advance. All you do is cream equal amounts of unsalted butter with brown sugar, till it goes lighter brown and fluffy, then add the brandy. Keep going til it tastes how you like it. spoon into a container and chill.

thats it.

it costs maybe.. for a big tub of the stuff, 40 to 50p, esp if you already have the ingredients in... and the supermarkets charge more than a couple quid for a small pot. Its a huge rip off and it makes me so angry...

sorry.. rant over...

keth
    xx
  • jembie
    I just get it in my christmas hamper...I would never buy it as I never knew what it was for before now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't ever stop believing........
    Never get tired of watching you, someday you will break through.....
  • mikeywills
    I love this site, you always get something or someone new that brings new ideas to the table. I have always had brandy butter in the fridge over christmas just for mince pies and christmas pudding(which I find too heavy).

So I really like the sound of a christmas styled bread and butter pudding, some currants and sultanas, coxes apples or other dessert apples(or maybe plums). mixed with cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, milk and brandy butter.

Not sure if it will work, but I always like a challenge.

Thanks guys.
    I had a plan..........its here somewhere.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 13th Dec 06, 1:13 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Mikeywills another good Christmas-type pudding is a crumble made with apples, bananas and mincemeat. Really yummy and if you like brandy butter it would be great dolloped on top.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

827Posts Today

7,482Users online

Martin's Twitter