Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • curiouscrafter
    • By curiouscrafter 27th May 11, 12:51 PM
    • 138Posts
    • 667Thanks
    curiouscrafter
    Christmas Eve Hamper 2011
    • 27th May 11, 12:51 PM
    Christmas Eve Hamper 2011 27th May 11 at 12:51 PM
    Hello All,

I know its 6 months away but I have started to get bits to put in my very first Christmas Eve hamper. I have looked at previous threads and think having a hamper is a fantastic idea, my children 2 and 5 will love it. So far I have a new set of pjs for children, myself and husband from the sales a few weeks ago. These are the other items on my to get / make list:-

Mately bubble bath
    Christmas fleece blanket
    Hot water bottles and covers
    Reindeer food
    Santa magic key
    Hot chocolate snow cones
    Popcorn
    Christmas DVD
    and for me bottle of bucksfizz!

This year will be the first year that we have a Christmas Elf (another great idea from this site) stay with us so I am thinking he will leave the hamper as a leaving gift.

What do you put in your Christmas eve hampers?
Page 1
  • tinkerbellsmum
    • 27th May 11, 9:46 PM
    • 27th May 11, 9:46 PM
    I loved giving my kids hampers last year. they got
    pj
    slippers
    dressing gown
    boy got boats and my girl got spray soap you make into shapes and soap cryons
    snowman poop
    snowman hot chocolate
    and a shaun the sheep tshirt i had ironed transfer onto.

gonna look for new ideas for this year. good idea to start now.
  • jcr16
    • 28th May 11, 10:00 AM
    • 28th May 11, 10:00 AM
    my children and us have loved a xmas eve hamper. we have done it the last few years now.

we have a dvd ,
    slippers,
    pj's,
    reindeer food,
    hot chocolate,
    pack of sweets or choc bar to share,
    santa stop here sign,
    a game ie santa snap or puzzle or something we can all do together,
    xmas colouring book and crayons,
    santa bubble bath or soap,
    new toothbrushes,
    new santa story

generally anything to make the night before xmas bed time a bit more fun and interesting. and to provide a few hours of extra family fun and to try to semi clam the kids down before bed with a game or book to read not that the excitement does calm down.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • curiouscrafter
    • By curiouscrafter 28th May 11, 12:24 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    curiouscrafter
    • 28th May 11, 12:24 PM
    • 28th May 11, 12:24 PM
    thank you for your replies,
    I am thinking we might have ours in the morning and might put some ingredients in for making some cookies that we can leave out and maybe some money - a pound coin for the kids to go to the shop and get a carrot to leave out also.
    I was a bit worried about posting about christmas so early!! I have a Christmas note pad that I add to as and when through out the year, so again thank you so much for your replies they have been added.
  • jcr16
    • 28th May 11, 12:45 PM
    • 28th May 11, 12:45 PM
    we also made one which was a getting ready for xmas hamper. on the day we decorated the tree and house ( usually around 1st dec or first weekend) we had a hamper full of xmas dvd's and a tin of roses and xmas crafts to make, such as tree decoration, magnets, art and crafts for card making, snowflake making etc, a game ( i think it was disney scene it) can't remember it all now.

i know it sounds like we did alot before xmas, but i bought xmas dvd on ebay throughout the yr, most cost 99p and alot were free delivery at most was 1 delivery. places like pounland, qs and elc have cheap arts and craft xmas stuff which i collected through the yr. and the roses were 4 for a big tin on offer in one of the supermarkets. it provided that little bit extra as a build up to the big day. plus all the dvd we have ready for next xmas. or whenever we fancy a xmas movie day.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • Hollie84
    • By Hollie84 29th May 11, 11:19 AM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 3,639 Thanks
    Hollie84
    • 29th May 11, 11:19 AM
    • 29th May 11, 11:19 AM
    We had
    pj's
    slippers
    xmas dvd
    snowman soup that i made
    magic reindeer foor that i made
    some xmas jelly sweets
    popcorn

we also did the elf,i have a new elf for this xmas aswell so i have a boy and a girl
    • yummy-mummy-amy
    • By yummy-mummy-amy 29th May 11, 1:07 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    yummy-mummy-amy
    • 29th May 11, 1:07 PM
    • 29th May 11, 1:07 PM
    hi,

our xmas eve hamper gets left by the elves as its their last night.

usually include:

pjs
    slippers (or slipper socks)
    santas magic key
    reindeer food
    an xmas dvd
    popcorn
    haribo sweets (or similar as i dont eat popcorn)
    bottle of schloer (or similar) for kids
    bottle of something 4 me n hubby
    bubble bath
    tooth brush
    story
    instructions/letter*
    small gift from elves (think 1 shop/stocking filler type thing)
    ***fleecy blankets*** (1 year only - they have to get them!)

*along the lines of
    dear.........
    we have had a lovely time staying with you this year, tonight is our last night so we have made you a little bag of goodies. 1st of all you must go and spinkle the reindeer food in the garden and leave santas key where he will find it. 2nd you need to take your bubble bath, toothbrushes and pjs upstairs. have a bath nicely, brush teeth and get new pjs on. 3rd bring your fleecy blankets downstairs. 4th sit and watch your dvd and you can eat the popcorn and sweets etc. 5th after the dvd place us and all our belongings in the kitchen along with the goodies you leave for santa. 6th go upstairs and listen to your story and then go to sleep like good boys. we will be gone by morning.

love ...............................

you can add anything that would work for you/your family. obviously if your doing for during the day then you can add different things to those that do them for evening only. think of WHAT yyou will need to be doing/have time to do etc. some of the people on american elf sites leave things like gingerbread house making kits or craft kits to keep the kids amused whilst they are doing the last min xmasy bits.

ideas for daytime things:

colouring book & crayons
    xmas colour playdough
    xmas playing cards
    board games
    dvds
    make an xmas songs cd
    cake mix
    wrapping paper to help wrap gifts

I have a Christmas note pad that I add to as and when through out the year,
    mines a file on pc titled mummys shoe list (only have about 15 pairs BUT the kids no they dont touch my shoes, and therefore they wont look in folder if on pc!!!)

check back through the elf thread for other ideas.
    due to spilling coffee on my keyboard it works when it wants to

member 1254 sealed pot 4
  • candie_gill
    • 7th Jun 11, 9:59 PM
    • 7th Jun 11, 9:59 PM
    i have some things already for my little boys hamper too

I have:
    reindeer antlers
    xmas activity pack
    xmas soap
    candy cane (30p a box with 2012 date on )
    pjs
    slippers
    giant santa pen
    last years santa stop here signs to pop back in
    handy manny xmas dvd

need to get him some new socks, snow man soup, reindeer dust, microwave popcorn sachet and a new toothbrush. He has a giant xmas story book so wont bother with a book this year
    • Savvybunny2009
    • By Savvybunny2009 7th Jun 11, 10:40 PM
    • 5,374 Posts
    • 16,658 Thanks
    Savvybunny2009
    • 7th Jun 11, 10:40 PM
    • 7th Jun 11, 10:40 PM
    Great ideas everyone, I want to do a Christmas Eve hamper for DD to make Christmas that little bit more extra special. Already have some bedtime stories, colouring books, pj's. Will be making reindeer food, a blanket (which will be used each year) maybe a film, a small toy and maybe some treats. I haven't finalised it yet but will do closer to the time. Will keep an eye on this thread for ideas
    Comping wishlist for 2017
    1. Family holiday 2. Christmas presents 3. Fishing stuff

The more you put into life, the more you get out
  • Sadie204
    Some great ideas, I've done xmas eve baskets for the last 2 years for my eldest DD (nearly 4). Not sure if gonna be able to anymore as my LO was born last xmas eve! Don't know how to do it so it doesn't look like everyone else is getting pressies on her birthday. We always make a big deal out of birthdays but don't want her to think hers is any less special as she gets older. Even though it was her own fault for being 9 days late If we did all birthday in the morning and gave them basket of goodies before bed, that would be ok I think. Not sure lol, any thoughts welcome.

Sadie204
    xx
  • candie_gill
    Some great ideas, I've done xmas eve baskets for the last 2 years for my eldest DD (nearly 4). Not sure if gonna be able to anymore as my LO was born last xmas eve! Don't know how to do it so it doesn't look like everyone else is getting pressies on her birthday. We always make a big deal out of birthdays but don't want her to think hers is any less special as she gets older. Even though it was her own fault for being 9 days late If we did all birthday in the morning and gave them basket of goodies before bed, that would be ok I think. Not sure lol, any thoughts welcome.

Sadie204
    xx
    Originally posted by Sadie204
    I'm sure if you keep the contents of the basket to minimal and xmas orientated she wont feel like anyone has took her limelight I dont like to overdo it on the hamper anyway, never put a present in just things to make xmas eve cosy and festive. Maybe pjs, socks, xmas story, new toothbrush and festive soap and a gingerbread baking kit or something alonge those lines. Could even give the hamper night before xmas eve but tell them they are for the next day?
  • Sadie204
    Thanks Candie Gill. Might think about giving it on the 23rd instead, hadn't thought about that. This year she may not really notice anyway but when shes a little older, it might become a problem. Maybe I'm thinking too far in the future lol! Think I have gone a little bit over the top last couple of years so I might just tone it down to 'xmas eve essentials' Get special baubles for the tree every year and going to get personalised stockings but other than that just the usual pjs/toothbrushes/slippers this year. Trying to have a less stressful, more organised xmas this year we hope!

Sadie204
    xx
  • candie_gill
    Your welcome, i did go a tad over the top last year too- i think you have to keep the hamper basic overwise it takes the excitement from the build up of the big day a bit if you put in toys etc. 23rd would deffo be my option, around 6pm give them to the kids to look at and explain they are for xmas eve. Basically they are still getting to use them xmas eve but without taking the focus from your little ones big day! x
    Mummy of a beautiful little boy and fanatical about christmas
    • curiouscrafter
    • By curiouscrafter 13th Jun 11, 10:59 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    curiouscrafter
    Primark have some red fleece blankets for 4 and 2.50.
    I got one for our Christmas Eve Hamper.
    I now get things when I see them as I have in the past waited untill nearer the time and not been able to get things.
  • candie_gill
    Primark have some red fleece blankets for 4 and 2.50.
    I got one for our Christmas Eve Hamper.
    I now get things when I see them as I have in the past waited untill nearer the time and not been able to get things.
    Originally posted by curiouscrafter
    what size are these? thanks
    Mummy of a beautiful little boy and fanatical about christmas
    • nickyjay21
    • By nickyjay21 14th Jul 11, 1:30 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    nickyjay21
    xmas eve hamper
    Hi guys,
    I think the xmas eve hamper is a brill idea - first found it here last year and did a huge one for my 3 nieces - they loved it! really thought the elves had left it for them little stuck on what to add this year tho... I put little bracelet kits in last year as an activity, and a microwave hottie each that i found in the shap of a gingerbread girl - even smelt of gingerbread, lol! anyone any ideas for this year? I have a jar i want to fill with ingredients for cookies for them to make (recycled jar curtesy of an offer on Dowe Egbert coffee, lol!), and have a dvd idea for the night time so my sister can get them settled, but other than that not sure what to add, any suggestions?
    thanks!
  • Twisted_Angel
    Hello

Our Christmas elfs leave our hampers. We have in ours:

Christmas bath ducks (brought from eBay)
    New Pj's
    New Slippers Slipper Socks
    Bath bombs from Lush
    New toothebrushes
    Snowman soup
    Festive DVD
    Box choccies
    New festive story book for bedtime
    Reindeer food
    Magic key so Father Christmas can let himself in
    • Rummer
    • By Rummer 17th Jul 11, 7:36 PM
    • 6,427 Posts
    • 37,994 Thanks
    Rummer
    We have grown to love our xmas eve tradition of waking up to a hamper of goodies and fun things to enjoy over the course of the day. I think most of the things that we have have already been mentioned by others but we have:

• New PJs
    • Snuggly socks
    • Bubble bath
    • Sweeties - santa kisses, reindeer poop
    • Popcorn
    • Santa plate
    • Carrot
    • Reindeer food
    • DVD
    • Photo album
    • Colouring and activity books
    • Craft activities
    • Xmas mugs
    • Snowman soup
    • Xmas book
    Those are the standard bits and pieces however I often pop in other things that I find online or in pound shops.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • scuzz
    My Mum's having a really rough time at the moment, so I'd like to do something like this for her on Xmas Eve. Any ideas how to make this for an adult?
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • Twisted_Angel
    My Mum's having a really rough time at the moment, so I'd like to do something like this for her on Xmas Eve. Any ideas how to make this for an adult?
    Originally posted by scuzz
    I made one for my Mum last Christmas eve as she was meant to be staying with us over Christmas but could not make it.

In her's i put:

New pj's,
    Slippers,
    Shower gel (she doesnt have a bath else i would of put a Lush bath bomb in)
    I made something similar like snowman soup but with coffee and a chocolate from Thorntons,
    A new pretty china Mug,
    Christmas DVD,
    Box Choccies,
    Small (1 glass) bottle of wine,
    Organising and Money Saving for Christmas 2011
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,465Posts Today

6,756Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin