Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GEMGIRL67
    • By GEMGIRL67 24th May 11, 1:55 AM
    • 180Posts
    • 448Thanks
    GEMGIRL67
    angry at o2
    • 24th May 11, 1:55 AM
    angry at o2 24th May 11 at 1:55 AM
    My Mum who is a pensioner had a phone call on her pay as you go 02 mobile on 7/05/11 but could not understand what the person was saying.

She tried to use her mobile to ring me last Friday and it said she could only make emergency calls. Just tried to ring her mobile number now and it says that number is no longer on 02. She had about 20 of credit on the phone, but it looks like o2 have sold her number onto someone else, but I cant understand why onto a different network.

I am so angry because my dad had the same problem with his mobile number, they blocked it because it hadnt been topped up for a long time, even though it was being used and had over 20 of credit on it. It seems o2 are not considering pensioners who dont use their mobiles often.
Page 1
    • sparky93
    • By sparky93 24th May 11, 6:43 AM
    • 368 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    sparky93
    • 24th May 11, 6:43 AM
    • 24th May 11, 6:43 AM
    its not o2's fault, its the end user. its said in the t/c's that a chargeable call needs to be made. generally every 6 months. Otherwise the account gets suspended, and then later terminated. Fone o2 up or pop into a o2 shop and get them to reenable the account.
    • sparky93
    • By sparky93 24th May 11, 6:53 AM
    • 368 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    sparky93
    • 24th May 11, 6:53 AM
    • 24th May 11, 6:53 AM
    Welcome to O2. Someone will be with you soon.

You're through to Donna.

Donna: Hi I'm Donna. How can I help?

neil: Hi, just a quick one, on pay as you go, how often do you have to top up, before o2 disconect your sim?

neil: or even, make a chargeable call i should say

neil: i think its 6 months, but cant find reference to it in the terms/conds.

Donna: You need to make at least one chargeable call every six months and Top-Up at least once every 999 days to keep your mobile number active on Pay & Go.

neil: ok thank you for that.

neil: if a number gets cut off just after the 6 months how do they get recconnected?

Donna: You're welcome Neil.

Donna: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Donna: You can chat with us again and we'll reconnect your number as a one off, but we can do this only once.

neil: ok,I will pass the msg on. thank you

Donna: My pleasure.

Donna: It was great chatting with you.

Donna: We'd really like your feedback. Click on 'End chat' in the top right of this screen to tell us what you think. Bye.
  • KillerWatt
    • 24th May 11, 8:02 AM
    • 24th May 11, 8:02 AM
    All depends on what tariff you are on as to how regularly you have to top up.
    If I don't top up every 30 days with a minimum of 10, the phone can only make calls to emergency services and the O2 top up line. If I leave it 3 months without topping up, I lose the number.
    Remember kids, it's the volts that jolt and the mills that kill.
    • gjchester
    • By gjchester 24th May 11, 9:17 AM
    • 5,603 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    gjchester
    • 24th May 11, 9:17 AM
    • 24th May 11, 9:17 AM
    To be fair all network have this policy that a chargable event needs to be made at least every 180 days. It's not just O2 that do this.
  • Techhead
    • 24th May 11, 11:46 AM
    • 24th May 11, 11:46 AM
    All depends on what tariff you are on as to how regularly you have to top up.
    If I don't top up every 30 days with a minimum of 10, the phone can only make calls to emergency services and the O2 top up line. If I leave it 3 months without topping up, I lose the number.
    Originally posted by KillerWatt
    Which tariff is that?
  • KillerWatt
    • 24th May 11, 11:55 AM
    • 24th May 11, 11:55 AM
    Which tariff is that?
    Originally posted by Techhead
    I think it is called the "Talkalot" tariff, I've been on it for the last 13 years.
    O2 used to occasionally call me with an "offer" to upgrade my handset for free if I moved to another tariff, but the main problem with that for me (other than the loss of minutes) was that they were offering handsets that didn't even come close to what I was using (eg, they offered a Nokia 3210 when I was already using an 8210).
    Remember kids, it's the volts that jolt and the mills that kill.
  • MaggotAJ
    • 24th May 11, 12:32 PM
    Got to say that this kind if thing is annoying. My dad hates mobile phones and never uses one. However, he does have one that he takes fishing with him just in case. He is 68 now and realises that he should have one when in quiet places in case of emergency. But the chances are he will never use it any time soon.
    • Naf
    • By Naf 24th May 11, 12:32 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    Naf
    I believe old O2 sims were one chargeable CALL (not text) every 90 days, or they could be disconnected. Mine wasn't but don't rely on this. I found it in the Ts&Cs when I stopped using mine, but wanted to keep it active.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 24th May 11, 12:52 PM
    • 5,270 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    Jon 01
    All you need to do to keep them active is to put a note on your calender and send a text from the phone once every 4 to 5 months and your safe. Total cost over a year would be 2 or 3 texts, so 20p or 30p. A tenner credit would last years at that rate.
    • sparky93
    • By sparky93 24th May 11, 1:02 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    sparky93
    Donna: You need to make at least one chargeable call every six months and Top-Up at least once every 999 days to keep your mobile number active on Pay & Go.

not a text.
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 24th May 11, 1:22 PM
    • 5,270 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    Jon 01

not a text.
    Originally posted by sparky93

Really? I thought it was any chargeable event? It has to be a call does it ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

73Posts Today

1,258Users online

Martin's Twitter