Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • catznine
    • By catznine 27th Dec 04, 2:40 AM
    • 3,187Posts
    • 24,544Thanks
    catznine
    Help - red wine stain on the  dining chair
    • 27th Dec 04, 2:40 AM
    Help - red wine stain on the  dining chair 27th Dec 04 at 2:40 AM
    Can anyone help please? Our Christmas casualty was one of my new cream seated dining chairs, red wine accidentally spilt on it. We tried putting white wine on it and it did help a bit but the stain still shows through! Is there anything else we can try?
Page 1
  • franky
    • 27th Dec 04, 10:06 AM
    Re: Help - red wine stain on the !dining chair
    • 27th Dec 04, 10:06 AM
    what type of material is on the chairs ?
  • franky
    • 27th Dec 04, 10:13 AM
    • 27th Dec 04, 10:13 AM
    if they are removable this method is fab
    mix equal amount hydrogen peroxide with washing up liquid or a liquid for clothes washing
    dab on stain
    watch stain fade
    then put in washer immediately and wash
    • catznine
    • By catznine 27th Dec 04, 3:28 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 27th Dec 04, 3:28 PM
    • 27th Dec 04, 3:28 PM
    Thanks for that but I'm afraid that the covers are not removable! they are made from 54% polyester, 27% acrylic and 19% viscose (yes I did go and turn the chair upside down! lol) it's a kind of cream brocade material.

I am kicking myself for not having them stain resistant treated but that would have cost a lot more.
  • Fionnuala
    • 27th Dec 04, 7:29 PM
    • 27th Dec 04, 7:29 PM
    Hi Catznine

I'm afraid I don't have a top tip to solve this problem. Have you considered going back to the shop you bought the chairs from? They might have some tips. Or if the chair is very damaged and you bought it via credit card, maybe there is some redress that way. Or maybe via household insurance? If all else fails maybe the shop would be able to get some fabric and you have this one chair recovered?

I do hope a much cheaper and easier answer finds it way to you though.

I had a similarly frustrating problem recently...had a beautiful and extremely expensive tile floor laid in my kitchen...cost a bomb...but the day after it was finished I dropped a mug on it (nice expensive Denby one of course) which smashed to smithereens, leaving a white chip in a prominent place in my floor. I try not to look at it, but it's hard to miss. I do understand how annoying the wine stain must be to you.
    • catznine
    • By catznine 29th Dec 04, 3:56 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 29th Dec 04, 3:56 PM
    • 29th Dec 04, 3:56 PM
    Sorry not been online for a while as 20 yr old daughter has gone done with mumps!! She had her MMR at 4 yrs old in 1988 before she started school but we were not advised that she needed a top up. She is in a great deal of pain right now. It is not good to have this as an adult.

It seems there is an epidemic in the universities at the moment as children born between 1982 and 1990 might not have sufficient immunity!

A stain on my chair seems pretty unimportant now :-[
    Oh and I bought chairs from Courts who I believe are no longer trading (says it all really). But after what has happened in Asia on boxing day I do realise how lucky we are, my prayers go out to all who are affected by this disaster.
    • jenk
    • By jenk 18th Jan 06, 4:31 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    jenk
    • 18th Jan 06, 4:31 PM
    Red Wine Carpet Stain!!!
    • 18th Jan 06, 4:31 PM
    Can someone give me some ideas on how to get rid of a large red wine stain from my carpet please? Weve only just had this carpet laid following a dishwasher flood that meant all the carpets downstairs had to be replaced.

Weve tried normal house hold cleaner but the stain is still very visable, any OS ideas?

Thanks

Emma
    Trying To Hitch A Lift To Skinnyville

Declutter Challenge - 2019 in 2019. 0/2019
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 18th Jan 06, 4:38 PM
    • 10,230 Posts
    • 16,809 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 18th Jan 06, 4:38 PM
    • 18th Jan 06, 4:38 PM
    How long has the stain been there? I assume it is dry by now, otherwise they say putting white wine on it can help.

I find Shout detergent stain remover very good for purposes other than those on the bottle, so it might be worth a try spraying some of this on, leaving for a few minutes, and gently agitating it through the stain with a damp cloth.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• comping cat
    • By comping cat 18th Jan 06, 4:39 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,183 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 18th Jan 06, 4:39 PM
    • 18th Jan 06, 4:39 PM
    This would be better for a fresh stain, but you can try it,
    blot with warm water or even soda water, then blot dry. if you havent already tried, use carpet shampoo and work well into the stain, rinsing with clear water. If there is any remaining stain, cover with a glycerine solution (half water, half glycerine) and leave for an hour. Sponge off with clear water and blot dry. If there is still a stain, you could try a little methylated spirit, rinsing well.
    Catherine x
  • MissMuppet
    Red wine stain on white top...
    I have looked all through the Indexes on here but can't seem to find anything which I'm suprised about, I must be looking in the wrong place!! :confused:

I went to Paris for the weekend and managed to spill red wine down my brand new white top, I think it's a lycra material... It's dried now as I was too drunk to do anything with it at the time! Can anyone recommend how I can get the stain out?

Thanks!
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 23rd Jan 06, 9:42 AM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,183 Thanks
    comping cat
    Rince in warm water, then soak in borax or washing powder (strong solution) then launder as normal.
    Catherine x
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 23rd Jan 06, 11:51 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Skintmama
    My SIL swears that pouring soda water onto red wine spills works brilliantly. Never tried it myself though. Not one for wasting wine!
    • thetope
    • By thetope 23rd Jan 06, 12:51 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    thetope
    putting white on it always works for me, but i'm not sure if it still works if the stain has dried in
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 23rd Jan 06, 3:00 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 21,699 Thanks
    VickyA
    My OH has poured white wine on two MASSIVE red wine stains and got it out both times, but he did use a whole bottle of white wine (cheapest possible) each time. Leave to soak for as long as possible - 24hrs was the optimum level!

Any surprise that I'm marrying him?
    • Serenity
    • By Serenity 17th Mar 06, 8:52 AM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 4,712 Thanks
    Serenity
    Red Wine Stain on Carpet
    Hi,
    I have no idea if this is the appropriate place to post this but I've searched the forum and google and found nothing helpful.
    I spilt a whole glass of red wine on my carpet last night I was actually trying to stop my cat knocking it over but did it myself in the process.
    Anyway I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any thread dealing with this or has any tips themselves? Its a green carpet, would stain remover be alright to use :confused: I'm useless at this stuff - spent 30 mins scrubbing it last night and thought I'd got it but theres a huge stain this morning!
    Thanks in advance for any help

Serenity
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 17th Mar 06, 10:38 AM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,183 Thanks
    comping cat
    I think now its an old stain, the best thing is a glycerine solution (50/50 water and glycerine) cover the stain and leave for about an hour. Sponge off with clear water and blot well.
    • Bargain Rzl
    • By Bargain Rzl 17th Mar 06, 11:36 AM
    • 6,174 Posts
    • 21,392 Thanks
    Bargain Rzl
    In future (cos it WILL happen again ) as soon as you've spilt it, cover the spillage in salt. Leave for a while and hoover up. I used to have a green carpet too, and it remained green even after several such accidents!
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 17th Mar 06, 12:23 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 23,049 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Where do you get glycerine? I have a couple of old stains on my carpet that I'm going to attack with a carpet cleaner if I can't get them off any other way
    Not red wine but.... Strawberry daquirie (or however you spell that)... have nice pink stain that so far NOTHING has managed to shift *sigh* If the carpet cleaner fails then it'll be a contents insurance job I'm afraid. I'd just prefer to clean it myself if at all possible as I have only just got the house the way I want it and having people in and out changing carpets is just going to drive me nuts
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • kenshaz
    put some white wine on it ,it will dilute the rinse away
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 17th Mar 06, 12:57 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,183 Thanks
    comping cat
    Where do you get glycerine? I have a couple of old stains on my carpet that I'm going to attack with a carpet cleaner if I can't get them off any other way
    Not red wine but.... Strawberry daquirie (or however you spell that)... have nice pink stain that so far NOTHING has managed to shift *sigh* If the carpet cleaner fails then it'll be a contents insurance job I'm afraid. I'd just prefer to clean it myself if at all possible as I have only just got the house the way I want it and having people in and out changing carpets is just going to drive me nuts
    by tine
    Ive bought glycerine in Tescos, in with the baking products.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,429Posts Today

8,420Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @womensaid: Financial abuse is a form of domestic violence. We were delighted to advise on this article - no woman experiencing financia?

• Joint accounts, financial abuse and managing money in relationships - what every couple needs to know. My new blog? https://t.co/L3yAkncV0c

• Two weeks ago I tweeted about sensitive teeth and unbidden Colgate sent me their sensitive tooth paste. Last week? https://t.co/hV2wFPGKWh

• Follow Martin