Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Learning_Curve
    • By Learning_Curve 14th May 11, 12:44 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 17Thanks
    Learning_Curve
    European Lottery Guild - Scam?
    • 14th May 11, 12:44 PM
    European Lottery Guild - Scam? 14th May 11 at 12:44 PM
    Hi everyone,

I sent off for info for this Irish Lottery thing, and it has now arrived. It asks for money for the tickets which includes a processing fee. I was firstly a bit confused as it doesn't ask you to enter your numbers or tell you your numbers if they are pre-allocated. From what I have been able to ascertain by Googling, is that they are a ticket agent who put you into a syndicate, so that you can get entries into the Irish, German and Spanish lotteries (normally apparently you need to live in the country to enter). So this explains why you don't pick your own numbers. As they have offices all over this is how they get round non-residents being able to enter. I have a cheque written and in the envelope but something is making me hang back from posting it.

I've Googled and found that this company's name has come up in the same sentence as the word scam. However, apparently their name has been used fraudulently by other scam artists and they insist they are genuine. Their website (europeanlotteryguild.com) even has pages advising on how to avoid scams. The return address for the entry is in Liverpool, but if it's the same company, I found out via Googling that they are owned by a Canadian man who has dealings with criminal activities of all sorts and whose business partner was found dead, shot in the head. I just don't know whether other rip-off artists are using their name and tarnishing the name of a genuine company.

Other sites claim countless calls from this company (whether it's them or a clone scam) and having too much money deducted from their accounts after sending debit card details etc.

Their paperwork looks professional and genuine. But I'm just not sure. Has anyone had dealings with them?

Thanks.
Page 1
  • LovelyLeeds
    • 14th May 11, 12:46 PM
    • 14th May 11, 12:46 PM
    I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Why not just stick with the UK lottery - you'll still have that one in 14 million chance to win...
    Hopefully someone will give you some good advice.
    • Mowgli87
    • By Mowgli87 16th May 11, 9:46 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    Mowgli87
    • 16th May 11, 9:46 AM
    • 16th May 11, 9:46 AM
    Despite the post from Elisabeth, I would stear clear... smells like cowpat to me. Spend or save your money wisely rather than gambling with it, scam or not.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 16th May 11, 10:18 AM
    • 5,501 Posts
    • 5,620 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 16th May 11, 10:18 AM
    • 16th May 11, 10:18 AM
    Keep your money in your pocket!

If it looks like a scam, smells like a scam, and you are worried that it is a scam, then in all probability it is a ........
  • FraudBuster
    • 16th May 11, 10:31 AM
    • 16th May 11, 10:31 AM
    Some information on lottery scams:

http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/fraud_protection/lottery_fraud
  • ILW
    • 16th May 11, 10:40 AM
    • 16th May 11, 10:40 AM
    I thought the spanish lottery would only pay out to spanish citizens.
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 18th May 11, 8:04 AM
    • 9,418 Posts
    • 22,339 Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    • 18th May 11, 8:04 AM
    • 18th May 11, 8:04 AM
    Hi everyone

The company's asked us to post something on its behalf. MSE doesn't endorse anything a company may say on the forum.

ELG is a private company that purchases official lottery tickets from government retailers and acts as agents for individual players from around the world. This means, for example, that if you live in the UK but want to play the Spanish Lotto or if you want to enter a syndicate, you can through ELG.

ELG does not ask people for money in order to claim their winnings. Those who want to play pay an entry fee and that’s it. ELG does not deduct taxes or commissions for any wins.

Elisabeth Moore
    Customer Relations Manager, European Lottery Guild
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • LovelyLeeds
    • 18th May 11, 3:01 PM
    • 18th May 11, 3:01 PM
    That's fair enough.

(I still wouldn't touch it with a BP though!)
  • dodger131
    • 12th Dec 11, 8:13 PM
    dodger131
    • 12th Dec 11, 8:13 PM
    Hi everyone

The company's asked us to post something on its behalf. MSE doesn't endorse anything a company may say on the forum.

ELG is a private company that purchases official lottery tickets from government retailers and acts as agents for individual players from around the world. This means, for example, that if you live in the UK but want to play the Spanish Lotto or if you want to enter a syndicate, you can through ELG.

ELG does not ask people for money in order to claim their winnings. Those who want to play pay an entry fee and thatís it. ELG does not deduct taxes or commissions for any wins.

Elisabeth Moore
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Thank you Andrea i was rather worried as i had a phone call to verify a couple of things & i asked if he was from canada, which he was i was suspicious so i sought advice from my bank & they are now keeping a check on my account, but i feel now that this could be a genuine site. Having read your quote. and understand you cannot endorse any company
  • stephenrbp
    ELG Scam
    Is ELG honest? All I can say is that my 91 year old uncle received a letter asking him to subscribe to the Irish lottery. He signed up and received a phone call from a man in Vancouver who was very friendly ( my uncle being totally alone) and managed to get him to pay £460 for lottery tickets. The debit on his bank account shows ELG and Netherlands. (ELG operates phone calls from Canada and banking in Netherlands) The debit that was taken was £4600. This was then repeated with a request for £450 followed by a debit for £4500. There was then a debit for a further £4000 which he says he didn't initiate at all. The second and third debits were by the Australian International Lottery Agency.
    He has since received a series of letters containing hundreds of lottery numbers and also letters from ELG showing pictures of winners. He has also received a christmas card from his agent and a glossy book of photos of Vancouver.
    The whole thing is a 100% scam. The only question is: Is ELG a totally fraudulent company or is it a totally honest company that has been cloned so that people are actually signing up for something masquerading as ELG?
    I personally feel that the fact that my uncle's 'friend' is in Vancouver, and the company is operating out of the Netherlands is a fairly clear indication of the answer
    • blade1960
    • By blade1960 31st Jan 12, 8:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    blade1960
    I think i have been scammed by them on 28th Jan 2012 l have emailed them asking them to refund me within 24 hours.
    These people should not be allowed to get away with things like this
  • Cocopierre
    Why Ms Elisabeth Moore, you changed your ph: Number....
    Hello big big warning for all the honest people being scammed by European Lottery Guild, HOPE YOUR READING THIS ELISABETH MOORE, CUSTOMER RELATIONS MANAGER, ELG...
    SCAM SCAM SCAM. TELL ME ELISABETH HOW COME YOUR WEBSITE WENT OFF LINE FOR 2 DAYS RECENTLY-NO URL FOUND.....
    WOW GEE YOUR URL WAS ONCE AGAIN AVAILABLE, AND EVEN MORE HILARIOUS, YOU CHANGED YOUR 1800 NUMBER FROM 1800 148815 TO 1800 148813.... YOU USE PICTURES OF PEOPLE WHO YOU SAY ARE BIG ELG WINNERS.
    OK EVERYONE THESE SO CALLED WINNERS HAVE BEEN PROVEN TO BE FAKES, A LEGAL TEAM IN THE UK TRIED TO HAVE ELISABETH'S BOSS CHARGED BUT HE GOT OFF, HIS IS VERY GOOD AT ANYTHING FRAUDUKENT, AND GEE HE LIVES IN AMSTERDAM.
    MY PRIVATE INFORMATION WAS RECENTLY SOLD BY AN AUSTRALIAN SURVEY COMPANY WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

SO STOP CALLING MY HOME ELISABETH, BECAUSE I AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING STARTING A INTERNATIONAL COMPLAINTS SITE SO NICE HONEST PEOPLE CAN GET THE GOVERNMENTS AROUND THE WORLD TO CLOSE YOU DOWN..

NICE HONEST PEOPLE YOUR QUESTION WAS ARE ELG SCAMMERS YESSSSSS THEY ARE.
    Hi everyone

ELG does not ask people for money in order to claim their winnings. Those who want to play pay an entry fee and thatís it. ELG does not deduct taxes or commissions for any wins.

Elisabeth Moore
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
  • give them FA
    Why is the OP even thinking about risking their money on some foreign company with very doubtful credentials? Once your money goes abroad, how do you propose to recover it if it IS a scam?

You could, instead, contact some friendly Nigerian who has $10 million that he needs to transfer to your bank account- you can keep half- all you have to do is wire him £5,000 via Western Union to grease a few palms in the Government over there.

That's a far better proposition, surely?
  • seasider2
    Interestingly a 'card' dropped out of a well known magazine last week asking ' Do you want to play the Irish Lottery ' with a tear off card to request an information pack , which I completed to an address in Liverpool. I received an email today with a special offer to be part of a syndicate for Irish , Spanish & German lotteries, and tonight a phone call " hello (first name) , when I asked who was calling again they said "hello (first name ) , (first name) then surname pronounced incorrectly with a non british accent , possibly Canadian , to which i put the phone down as it just did not sound a legitimate call , this may well be a follow up call after the tear off I sent back....better take more care next time !!
  • DancingSarahJ
    I’m always sceptical when things like this come through the post, and I too was a bit wary when I received a letter from European Lottery Guild a few years ago. But then I read an article about them on the BBC website, something about a British man who won millions playing the Spanish Lottery through their service, and I thought, well, the BBC wouldn’t have written a positive story about a scam, right? So I decided to play it and I've got to say, I've never looked back. There are lots of scam companies out there, but ELG isn't one of them. I play mostly the Spanish and Irish lotteries now, and I’ve even won a few hundred euros! It’s good to be cautious about lottery companies, but European Lottery Guild is actually legitimate. (I just did a search and that article is still online, if you want to see it for yourself. I can't post the link but the story is called: Man wins £12m on Spanish lottery.)
    • woodbine
    • By woodbine 20th Mar 12, 9:57 PM
    • 18,323 Posts
    • 24,707 Thanks
    woodbine
    why?when you can play the irish lottery at most bookies?
  • WRINKLES
    Iím always sceptical when things like this come through the post, and I too was a bit wary when I received a letter from European Lottery Guild a few years ago. But then I read an article about them on the BBC website, something about a British man who won millions playing the Spanish Lottery through their service, and I thought, well, the BBC wouldnít have written a positive story about a scam, right? So I decided to play it and I've got to say, I've never looked back. There are lots of scam companies out there, but ELG isn't one of them. I play mostly the Spanish and Irish lotteries now, and Iíve even won a few hundred euros! Itís good to be cautious about lottery companies, but European Lottery Guild is actually legitimate. (I just did a search and that article is still online, if you want to see it for yourself. I can't post the link but the story is called: Man wins £12m on Spanish lottery.)
    Originally posted by DancingSarahJ
    SPAM SPAM AND MORE SPAM / ANYONE WHO WANTS TO THROW THEIR MONEY AWAY BY PLAYING THE LOTTERY CAN POP INTO THEIR LOCAL NEWSAGENTS AND BUY A TICKET FOR A POUND SAFE IN THE KNOWLEGE THAT IT IS A LEGITEMATE LOTTERY / now go away and spread your propaganda spmewhere else / It is obvious that this poster is in someway conected to this SCAM so it is up to you / BE SCAMED OR DONT BE SCAMED / YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
    GRADUATED FIRST CLASS WITH HONORS FROM THE SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS RECOMENDED READ IF BY RUDYARD KIPLING
  • WRINKLES
    Iím always sceptical when things like this come through the post, and I too was a bit wary when I received a letter from European Lottery Guild a few years ago. But then I read an article about them on the BBC website, something about a British man who won millions playing the Spanish Lottery through their service, and I thought, well, the BBC wouldnít have written a positive story about a scam, right? So I decided to play it and I've got to say, I've never looked back. There are lots of scam companies out there, but ELG isn't one of them. I play mostly the Spanish and Irish lotteries now, and Iíve even won a few hundred euros! Itís good to be cautious about lottery companies, but European Lottery Guild is actually legitimate. (I just did a search and that article is still online, if you want to see it for yourself. I can't post the link but the story is called: Man wins £12m on Spanish lottery.)
    Originally posted by DancingSarahJ
    If anyone believes this utter tripe then they are a mug:e ek::e ek::e ek::e ek::e ek::e ek::e ek::e ek::e ek:
    GRADUATED FIRST CLASS WITH HONORS FROM THE SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS RECOMENDED READ IF BY RUDYARD KIPLING
  • DebiL
    European Lottery - is it a scam?
    [QUOTE=Learning_Curve;43618082]Hi everyone,

I sent off for info for this Irish Lottery thing, and it has now arrived. It asks for money for the tickets which includes a processing fee. I was firstly a bit confused as it doesn't ask you to enter your numbers or tell you your numbers if they are pre-allocated. From what I have been able to ascertain by Googling, is that they are a ticket agent who put you into a syndicate, so that you can get entries into the Irish, German and Spanish lotteries (normally apparently you need to live in the country to enter). So this explains why you don't pick your own numbers. As they have offices all over this is how they get round non-residents being able to enter. I have a cheque written and in the envelope but something is making me hang back from posting it.

I've Googled and found that this company's name has come up in the same sentence as the word scam. However, apparently their name has been used fraudulently by other scam artists and they insist they are genuine. Their website (europeanlotteryguild.com) even has pages advising on how to avoid scams. The return address for the entry is in Liverpool, but if it's the same company, I found out via Googling that they are owned by a Canadian man who has dealings with criminal activities of all sorts and whose business partner was found dead, shot in the head. I just don't know whether other rip-off artists are using their name and tarnishing the name of a genuine company.

Other sites claim countless calls from this company (whether it's them or a clone scam) and having too much money deducted from their accounts after sending debit card details etc.

Their paperwork looks professional and genuine. But I'm just not sure. Has anyone had dealings with them?

Thanks.[I am really worried about this - my father also receives calls from a 'very nice man in Vancouver' - who rings my father and suggests he plays on the Australian, Spanish and Irish Lottos - the amounts taken from his account appear to be much larger than my father thinks he is agreeing to. He has won a couple of times - about £8.00 but this is by telephone and my father is encouraged to use this to buy more tickets. I am really worried that this is a scam - the money is taken by a company called AILA - whose website does not appear to have any active weblinks, and the European lottery guild does not appear to be up to date with most recent lottery numbers for Euro lottery for example - would love to hear others' experiences
  • WRINKLES
    Why do people keep on about this .....why would anyone of sound mind risk hard earned money after reading this thread..... if you are concerned that this is a scam then have nothing to do with it .... what evidence do you need .... an empty bank account ..... do what you want to do ..... then come back on here as another Lemming .... poorer ...angry....bewildered .... then tell us how you wish you had taken the advice given by others caught up in this .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,883Posts Today

6,458Users online

Martin's Twitter