Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 19
    • PhiltheBear
    • By PhiltheBear 3rd Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    PhiltheBear
    Just browsing through the dog insurance co webpage and came across 2 companies i have never heard of before Vets medi cover and Healthy pets....has anyone had any experience of either
    Originally posted by annie cardiff
    Yes. VetsMediCover took on a dog we had that had no previous vet history in this country and he was 7 years old. He's had various problems but they've always paid out and been very good.
    • wadbanage
    • By wadbanage 15th Nov 17, 8:42 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wadbanage
    Completely confused
    I have just spent several hours trying to find out what is a reasonable cost for insurance for my 2.25 yr old male Cockerpoo. He has no medical problems and is currently insured with Petplan under their 'Petplan Classic' policy.

The renewal is nearly 400 for his 3rd year of continuous cover, I have been searching using the methods recommended here but even for other Lifetime policies my Petplan cover seems very very expensive, e.g. with Compare the Market and limiting to lifetime policies only i get quotes from 73 to 339 pa and even the most expensive is 60 less than PetPlan..

Are Petplan ripping me off or am I missing something about their cover? I want cover with a good provider but there seem to be a bewildering number with a huge variation in price.

Can anyone recommend a few gold standard providers that I can use for more detailed investigation. Also any idea of what a reasonable annual premium for a 2.25 Cockerpoo should be?
    • PhiltheBear
    • By PhiltheBear 16th Nov 17, 9:12 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    PhiltheBear
    The simple fact is that Pet Plan ARE the Gold Standard. You will seldom, if ever, get a query on a claim unlike many of the others. And some of those 'lifetime' policies aren't genuinely lifetime, they are just marketed as that. Have a look at www.doginsurancecompare.co.uk which only shows policies from companies that are ethical in the way they work with customers (and it ignores the cost of policies unlike most comparison sites). If you think Pet Plan is too expensive you can get the same policy with less cover via the Co-op (it's just rebranded with a lesser amount payable).
    • Emmaaar22
    • By Emmaaar22 13th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 3,582 Thanks
    Emmaaar22
    We are wanting to switch insurers for my dog Millie. She`s about 8 years old I think maybe more, but we are looking for a insurer that covers the basics like accidental damage, vet fees, theft etc. She has no illness or anything, she`s had a few accidents but I don`t think they affect the new policy? I believe they are all paid for, despite having trouble with the insurer who took their time paying out but I think it`s covered now.

I`ve just checked Petplan and turns out she is too old, what would be the next best thing? We have a policy with Asda but they keep hiking the price up so we are looking for something slightly cheaper, that covers everything.

Thank you
    • GSPGirl
    • By GSPGirl 17th Jan 18, 2:16 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    GSPGirl
    Just got the most expensive policy available with More Than (including all extras) for my 3 year old rescue dog

It was 13 a month direct debit interest free

60 cashback from Quidco to look forward to
    • murphydog999
    • By murphydog999 23rd Jan 18, 10:05 PM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    murphydog999
    Sorry if this has been covered in the previous pages, I've gone back quite a few and not found a reference.

My cats policy with Animal Friends has - for the first time, because she is now 10 - included a 20% 'co-payment', payable on every claim - no other detail.

Has anyone with older animals and policies with other companies got this?
    • PhiltheBear
    • By PhiltheBear 24th Jan 18, 9:49 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    PhiltheBear
    Most companies start adding a 'co-payment' at about 8 years of age.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 24th Jan 18, 11:18 AM
    • 7,369 Posts
    • 10,615 Thanks
    KxMx
    Sorry if this has been covered in the previous pages, I've gone back quite a few and not found a reference.

My cats policy with Animal Friends has - for the first time, because she is now 10 - included a 20% 'co-payment', payable on every claim - no other detail.

Has anyone with older animals and policies with other companies got this?
    Originally posted by murphydog999

I'm with PetPlan and have this for my 12yo cat.
    • Laraine31
    • By Laraine31 11th Apr 18, 10:54 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Laraine31
    Legal and General
    Hi all,

I'm just looking to move my dog's lifetime policy. He is 6 years old and he has no pre-existing conditions of any type. The policy with L&G is massively cheaper but just seeing if anyone has any experience with them? I can't find many reviews on their pet insurance. Many thanks.
    • toshkininny
    • By toshkininny 18th Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    toshkininny
    Hi, any good deal out there at the moment for lifetime policy for dogs? Any hidden gems?! Thank you all.
    • martyp
    • By martyp 29th Apr 18, 10:13 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    martyp
    Hi all,
    I've been with Petplan since I bought my cat in 2010 (she turned 8 in February). It's a Bengal cross and I've never made a claim, she's got Covered4Life Classic cover and it's just increased from 19 a month to 22. With a couple of other recent constraints on my income I'm considering other options.
    Animal Friends didn't seem to have great feedback about 5 years or so ago but recently it looks as though Petplan are getting more negative feedback and Animal Friends are winning awards. I know Petplan are considered the biggest possibly but might not be the best maybe?
    Also MoreThan and Argos/Sainsburys seem to get good reviews.
    A similar Animal Friends policy (Superior Plus) I had quoted was 10 a month cheaper than Petplan.
    Morethan also offer 75 cashback...
    Would really appreciate any advice or feedback at all as of course my cat is very precious but if I can get the same level of cover for a good if not better source I could really do with the savings.
    • PhiltheBear
    • By PhiltheBear 30th Apr 18, 9:22 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    PhiltheBear
    Things to consider -
    a) Your cat is 8. You won't find many companies that will take on an animal at that age.
    b) Because your cat is 8 it is now more likely to suffer from chronic illnesses, which means that any paying out is likely to be long term. Therefore, it is very likely that both premiums and excesses will increase more than you've been used to.
    c) If you want to stay with the best (and Pet Plan are the best) consider moving to the Coop for a bit less cover (Pet Plan by another name).
    d) If your cat has has ANY treatment it will be excluded from cover by ALL other companies.
    Good luck.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 30th Apr 18, 8:18 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    sheramber
    Remember when you get quotes for a new policy you get a discount which will not apply in future years so there can be quite an increase the second year. for example Coop advertise 20% discount on the first year's premuim so the second year the premium will increase by 20% plus any additional annual increase in premium

Petplan do not increase your premium if you make a claim. Most other companies do.

Read any policy document carefully to make sure you know what you are covered for.
    • martyp
    • By martyp 30th Apr 18, 11:26 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    martyp
    Thanks PhiltheBear, definitely makes a good case for Petplan. I think my vet is actually an advocate for Petplan as well so hopefully the claim process is good. Thankfully I've not had any need to take her there apart from the routine things, no long term illnesses or ongoing treatments at the moment.

Things to consider -
    a) Your cat is 8. You won't find many companies that will take on an animal at that age.
    b) Because your cat is 8 it is now more likely to suffer from chronic illnesses, which means that any paying out is likely to be long term. Therefore, it is very likely that both premiums and excesses will increase more than you've been used to.
    c) If you want to stay with the best (and Pet Plan are the best) consider moving to the Coop for a bit less cover (Pet Plan by another name).
    d) If your cat has has ANY treatment it will be excluded from cover by ALL other companies.
    Good luck.
    Originally posted by PhiltheBear
    • martyp
    • By martyp 30th Apr 18, 11:28 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    martyp
    Remember when you get quotes for a new policy you get a discount which will not apply in future years so there can be quite an increase the second year. for example Coop advertise 20% discount on the first year's premuim so the second year the premium will increase by 20% plus any additional annual increase in premium

Petplan do not increase your premium if you make a claim. Most other companies do.

Read any policy document carefully to make sure you know what you are covered for.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    Thanks sheramber, I must admit I half think it's 'better the devil you know' in that my policy is meant to be very good. I did change policies with Petplan a couple of years back to save a few quid and there was the uncomfortable delay before a claim could be made.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 1st May 18, 9:50 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    sheramber
    Thanks sheramber, I must admit I half think it's 'better the devil you know' in that my policy is meant to be very good. I did change policies with Petplan a couple of years back to save a few quid and there was the uncomfortable delay before a claim could be made.
    Originally posted by martyp

Yes, if you change the cover it is treated as a new policy

If your cat has no pre existing conditions, including anything you consulted your vet about even if no treatment was given, then you could cancel your existing policy and start a new one online .
    You may find it is cheaper.

But agin you have the exclusion period at the beginning.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 2nd May 18, 10:19 AM
    • 7,369 Posts
    • 10,615 Thanks
    KxMx
    You get a new policy but don't cancel the old one until the exclusion period is over.

There is a risk that something will arise and you'll then be tied to old insurer. But still you'll be covered.

It's perfectly legal, as long as you don't try and claim on both policies for the same event!
    • Pauleb80
    • By Pauleb80 18th May 18, 4:48 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Pauleb80

Originally posted by sheramber
    This is one of my big fears. My other half is keen on a lifetime policy however my concern with that is that once you claim you become trapped with that provider....and therefore a hostage to whatever premium they want to charge. The cynic in me thinks they'll ramp the premium up year after year knowing they have you trapped. Are you saying that whilst most companies do this Petplan don't? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    • PhiltheBear
    • By PhiltheBear 19th May 18, 9:37 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    PhiltheBear
    Pet Plan don't increase premiums based on your claims. But that doesn't mean to say they don't increase premiums. They may do so every year on the basis of inflation or other overall business pressures and in particular when your pet gets to be 8 (I think it's 8 but it's around there) they may increase the premium because at around that point your pet will become more likely to suffer from chronic illness. In general, however, Pet Plan are probably the best company to deal with.
    • Pauleb80
    • By Pauleb80 19th May 18, 10:00 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Pauleb80
    Pet Plan don't increase premiums based on your claims. But that doesn't mean to say they don't increase premiums. They may do so every year on the basis of inflation or other overall business pressures and in particular when your pet gets to be 8 (I think it's 8 but it's around there) they may increase the premium because at around that point your pet will become more likely to suffer from chronic illness. In general, however, Pet Plan are probably the best company to deal with.
    Originally posted by PhiltheBear
    Many thanks, that's helpful to know. I've seen lots of reference to Co-op being the same as Pet Plan in all but name (albeit slightly cheaper). Is it considered that the same would apply or would that Pet Plan premium likely give a better customer experience.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,189Posts Today

7,106Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin