Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    claire.cmd
    Can I claim for calls & time spent reporting a faulty laptop within 30 days
    • 12th May 11, 3:50 PM
    Can I claim for calls & time spent reporting a faulty laptop within 30 days 12th May 11 at 3:50 PM
    Should be 30 days sorry!!
    I purchased a H.P laptop on the 4th March & reported a fault that had happened twice before (but I thought it may have been something I had done!) on the 4th April. I went through to the technical dept who went through a series of tests etc which took 3 days in total of phone calls to complete then the agent said it was faulty & needed to go for repair, I advised I was not going to accept this as the item developed a fault within 30 days, to cut a VERY long story short after several e-mails & calls to various people after being passed from pillar to post! H.P have advised I can have a refund or replacement, I have requested as a gesture of good will either an upgrade or refund plus refunding my costs for calls, time & usb's that I had to purchase to back up my system etc.
    If I was to post the e-mails I have received back from H.P you will all be appalled by the lack of customer service! it has taken 5 weeks for them to authorise a refund of the unit only but I have to have the old one collected & then send a form off to them to do this apparently?? something I don't understand as it did not take that long for them to take my money!! Can anyone please advise me am I within my rights to seek compensation for the calls etc as the laptop was faulty??
    Last edited by claire.cmd; 12-05-2011 at 3:57 PM. Reason: should be 30 days sorry!!
Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 12th May 11, 4:57 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 12th May 11, 4:57 PM
    • 12th May 11, 4:57 PM
    Who did you buy the thing from?
    Direct from HP?

Why do you expect compensation for "usb's that I had to purchase to back up my system"?
    Surely it is normal housekeeping to backup your data from time to time?

Any discussion about refunds, compensation should be taking place with the retailer who sold you the thing.
  • claire.cmd
    • 12th May 11, 6:11 PM
    • 12th May 11, 6:11 PM
    Who did you buy the thing from?
    Direct from HP?

Why do you expect compensation for "usb's that I had to purchase to back up my system"?
    Surely it is normal housekeeping to backup your data from time to time?

Any discussion about refunds, compensation should be taking place with the retailer who sold you the thing.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    The Laptop was purchased online direct from H.P, it is H.P who I am dealing with (the after sales team) who do not appear to have any customer service at all, they are not bothered about loosing my 600 sale and do not reply to my e-mails until I threaten to go to the small claims.
    I am looking for a reimbursment for anything extra I have had to use or pay for due to the faulty laptop as it is H.P who have caused me to use or pay for them. Why should I pay for something to do with their faulty product??

They advised me to back my system up on a usb & considering the laptop was only 4 weeks old no I did not have one to back my system up as it should not need doing so until a later stage as I did not have much data on it.
    Last edited by claire.cmd; 12-05-2011 at 6:15 PM.
  • catfish50
    • 12th May 11, 6:17 PM
    • 12th May 11, 6:17 PM
    ...it has taken 5 weeks for them to authorise a refund of the unit only but I have to have the old one collected & then send a form off to them to do this apparently??
    Originally posted by claire.cmd
    Seems reasonable enough. Why not just do this, take the refund, and buy a laptop elsewhere. Expecting to be compensated for USB sticks is daft. IMO.
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 12th May 11, 6:39 PM
    • 5,719 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    visidigi
    • 12th May 11, 6:39 PM
    • 12th May 11, 6:39 PM
    They advised me to back my system up on a usb & considering the laptop was only 4 weeks old no I did not have one to back my system up as it should not need doing so until a later stage as I did not have much data on it.
    Sorry, but you should ALWAYS back up your data and not hang about doing so...
  • claire.cmd
    • 12th May 11, 6:59 PM
    • 12th May 11, 6:59 PM
    Ok so your saying I should back up my laptop onto a usb every 4 weeks then?? I have never done that so soon in the past & never had a problem??

I am wanting to know if I can claim money back not only for a usb but for the 2 and a half hours spent on my phone to H.P plus the time spent reading & writing around 9 e-mails to and from them to get through to the correct person (as they kept passing me from one to another) to try to get firstly a replacement, then a refund due to the lack of service.
    I also do not understand why I have to send a form to them after they have collected the laptop for them to then send me a refund which no doubt will take around a week or even longer considering the past history
  • claire.cmd
    • 12th May 11, 7:22 PM
    • 12th May 11, 7:22 PM
    Seems reasonable enough. Why not just do this, take the refund, and buy a laptop elsewhere. Expecting to be compensated for USB sticks is daft. IMO.
    Originally posted by catfish50
    Sorry what does IMO mean??
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 12th May 11, 7:35 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 12th May 11, 7:35 PM
    • 12th May 11, 7:35 PM
    ...they are not bothered about loosing my 600 sale...
    Don't understand that bit.

Surely they already have the sale?
    They are concerned, like any business would be, that they may have to give that money back to you.

Sadly in this day and age some organisations will go to great lengths, like not replying to emails etc, to delay making refunds or doing anything else that will cost them money.

They are hoping you will give up.

I really cannot understand why you won't fill in the form to get your refund.

On the compensation issue...
    If you want to pursue it then you need to write them a letter outlining your request.
    Yes, a request.
    With a polite request you will stand a better chance of achieving your objective.
    Last edited by wealdroam; 12-05-2011 at 7:37 PM.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 12th May 11, 7:36 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 12th May 11, 7:36 PM
    • 12th May 11, 7:36 PM
    Sorry what does IMO mean??
    IMO = In My Opinion.
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 12th May 11, 7:37 PM
    • 5,719 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    visidigi
    In My Opinion..

And yes, you should back up data frequently - USB drives are not something you can expense for this...
  • claire.cmd
    Don't understand that bit.

Surely they already have the sale?
    They are concerned, like any business would be, that they may have to give that money back to you.

Sadly in this day and age some organisations will go to great lengths, like not replying to emails etc, to delay making refunds or doing anything else that will cost them money.

They are hoping you will give up.

I really cannot understand why you won't fill in the form to get your refund.

On the compensation issue...
    If you want to pursue it then you need to write them a letter outlining your request.
    Yes, a request.
    With a polite request you will stand a better chance of achieving your objective.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    Thank you for this reply about the question I asked which was can I claim for expenses,
    I have requested this politley via e-mail already in a responce to a previous e-mail I have received from them asking if I was looking for a refund or replacement but they have not ans that part of the e-mail or the part where I have asked why this laptop is no longer available anywhere after only 2 months.
    They have offered a refund only so all other expenses are at my loss which again I dont feel I should have to pay for anything for the faulty laptop.
    I have worked in a large retail group & when a customer returned a faulty item we would refund the customers out of pocket expenses which is all I am asking for & a bit of good customer service.

They appear not to be concerned as I asked for a replacement in the first place but was told I could not have one. Now after 5 weeks I will be taking the refund but I am bothered about how long the whole process will take as I will then be without a laptop for days! but hey ho I will not be giving H.P my money again.
    • mountainofdebt
    • By mountainofdebt 12th May 11, 9:17 PM
    • 7,423 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    mountainofdebt
    Ok so your saying I should back up my laptop onto a usb every 4 weeks then?? I have never done that so soon in the past & never had a problem??
    No I always back up whenever I make changes to important documents

Saves the heartache if it all goes pearshaped.
  • catfish50
    Now after 5 weeks I will be taking the refund but I am bothered about how long the whole process will take as I will then be without a laptop for days! but hey ho I will not be giving H.P my money again.
    That sounds to me like the right decision. Sorry I used confusing abbreviation without explaining it (IMO = in my opinion, as others have said.)

Good luck for a speedy refund.
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 13th May 11, 7:11 AM
    • 5,719 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    visidigi
    or the part where I have asked why this laptop is no longer available anywhere after only 2 months.

product cycle, you may have bough towards the end of line, new processors out and people stop buying the old ones cos they want new tech etc - happens all the time.

You can ask for compensation, but you do only have a failed laptop at the end of the day and the terms of buying one are very clear ont he manufacturers consequential costs liabilities...
  • claire.cmd
    Thanks all,
    Yes I backup when I feel I need to also, when I have loaded or changed anything important to me, as the laptop was new I hadnt done anything important!

Must have bought it at the end of the line as you can not get it anywhere! before it was on H.P and Amazon at least, now no where to be seen & the guy at H.P could not tell me why so I have asked him to find out, I did presume it was just discontinued.

Unfortunately I have been told my laptop can not be collected until next Wed then once they have the refund form it then takes a MINIMUM & he stressed minimum of 15 days to process the refund, this was what I did not want also! so we are talking around 3 weeks plus, which isn't helpful at all as I am emigrating at the end of the month!
    • derrick
    • By derrick 13th May 11, 11:11 AM
    • 7,161 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    derrick
    They have offered a refund only so all other expenses are at my loss which again I dont feel I should have to pay for anything for the faulty laptop.
    I would be looking for all out of pocket expenses.
    Under SoGA, you have the right not to be out of pocket due to faulty goods, from the link look through Part 5A, i.e

2)If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must—

(a)repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;

(b)bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).

My highlighting, IMO, would include phone calls, if necessary inform them you will issue SCC, (Small Claims Court), proceedings if cost are no met.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• MisterBrico
    Derrick, I'm no expert but I think you linked a part talking specifically about repairs or replacements not refunds.

Shame they are giving you the run around here, I thought HP were the good guys.

Maybe have a look about for an email address for someone higher up to look at getting your costs recovered, the phone calls you may just be able to get, but lost time for writing emails is a little excessive I think, whats your hourly rate for it?

And while we all seem to disagree, the USB dongle is something worth keeping, maybe you didn't want one yet but it's always better to be safe than sorry

Good luck!
    • derrick
    • By derrick 13th May 11, 1:17 PM
    • 7,161 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    derrick
    Derrick, I'm no expert but I think you linked a part talking specifically about repairs or replacements not refunds.
    Originally posted by MisterBrico
    Yes it does, but it is all in the same context re the SoGA, the retailer has to reimburse for expenses incurred.

A bit more reading of the page I linked to should provide enough info.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• claire.cmd
    I have noted the part that says out of pocket expenses thanks Derrick.
    I have now apparently been passed to the M.D's office & they will not offer anything except the same model to be replaced or a refund but no expenses.

I do not want the same model now that it has developed a fault within 30 days & is also no longer available
    I also do not want to have to wait a MINIMUM of three and a half weeks for a refund on an item costing 600 which they had the money for on the day that I ordered the goods.
    If I was to return an item to a store or even any other online stores I have used I would not expect or have never waited longer than a couple of days for the refund so how can they justify 3 weeks plus??
    I am seeing the citizens advice tomorrow as I have also quoted the SCC to them and still have no reasonable resolution to the problem.

Thanks again for the advice
  • claire.cmd
    Me again!
    Now they are telling me the below....

I confirm that Hewlett-Packard has agreed to buy back your HP Product(s), at the price stated below, in full and final settlement and as a gesture of goodwill on the part of the company.
    Please review the contents of this document and acknowledge your acceptance by signing below and returning it to me.
    NB: The payment will only be initiated after our HP Logistic Team has confirmed collection of your original HP Product(s).
    This offer is only valid for 30 days after date of transmission

Another words they will not give me a refund under the 30 day faulty period & can not claim any out of pocket expenses, so will not get my money back unless I agree to that, can they do that?? any suggestions please??
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

1,326Users online

Martin's Twitter