Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tinktay84
    • By tinktay84 10th May 11, 10:25 PM
    • 298Posts
    • 948Thanks
    tinktay84
    Millionaire Challenge
    • 10th May 11, 10:25 PM
    Millionaire Challenge 10th May 11 at 10:25 PM
    I sat pondering on what ive achieved in my 27 years and realised that anything ive ever said I wanted to do or wanted to have I have managed to achieve.

Last year after 10 years in catering I completely changed career and last week I achieved a distinction in painting and decorating. This got me thinking that since I always achieve goals I set myself what could I do next....

Thus the Millionaire challenge!

So phase 1 is opening a savings account and getting money building up...

I work for myself so have a bit of control over my earnings, we have 1 property that we rent out and my husband has a decent (secure) job.

My aim is to get to the million mark by the age of 40 (im 27 now)

So how many of you think im mad and its impossible and how many of you think i'll do it and have ideas to help me
Page 197
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 5th Aug 18, 10:18 PM
    • 3,457 Posts
    • 6,152 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    Fingers crossed the house sale goes through for you easily, I heard once that the most stressful thing you'll ever go through is buying and selling a house.

I hope the fitness side goes well, I saw a post recently of someone in their 80's who was built like a 20 year old male down the gym! I kinda thought I was doing well with it, but I found an old photo from Oct 2017 of the scales and I've dropped 3 pounds...so in 9 months? Need to get back on it...at least I'm maintaining I guess.

think it's great that you are helping out. Maybe you could go Business Angel full time
    I'm not sure if it will be my greatest weakness or strength but I tend to dip my finger in too many pies, I would love love to do this if I had the funds!! My Dad (wisely) keeps telling me to focus on something because otherwise I will never get anywhere fritting around...but you never know I might find a way to use it to my advantage or settle down eventually.

My self-improvement focus is helping though, I seem to have more discipline with myself and forcing myself to do things I would have put off before. I'm actually about 4-5 weeks ahead with my degree, I've got 2 questions left on my essay out of 8 to answer, and it doesn't start again till Oct. Going to use my spare time to focus on honing my skills I've learnt through my studies anyway. Really glad I changed from Business to Computing + Business as the Computing side is really blowing me away. I wish I had done a full Comp one now, but I can't say the Business side hasn't been useful either.

I've been listening to a few podcasts on 'millionaire' stuff and one thing that I picked up is they said don't set yourself impossible time framed goals, because they say if you say 'I want to lose 2 stone in 4 weeks' your setting yourself up for failure, but if you say I want to lose 2 stone in 6 months, and you do it slowly - most likely you will not only hit your goal, but in a lesser time frame. So I've set myself a realistic goal of being on a 30k wage in 3 years - not impossible in the computing industry by far, then I can use the excess income and spare time to build up side projects in theory.

If I do find a business idea in the mean time it may get pushed aside, but I think that being my main life goal for now is a great thing to work towards.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 9th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    • 10,579 Posts
    • 67,279 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello everyone......

Kaya - nice to read your update. Sounds like the course is going well. A 30k salary is definitely doable. I'm sure you'll crack it.

Just a quick update. Signed contracts today, aiming to legally complete week commencing 20th August.

Have just cashed in some of my stocks and shares ISAs. They have earned just over 10 per cent in 10 months.

I've beaten the banks.......

They were fairly low risk investments so I'm pleased with the result. I've left a nice little dollop in there for long term growth.

When I have moved and had a money sort out it is my intention to try buying some slightly higher risk ones but on a monthly basis, setting aside a small sum each month that I don't mind losing.

So my investment strategy will be some in the highest easy access accounts, some in relatively low risk stocks and shares ISAs and a little flutter on some higher risk investments. Then maybe a small dollop in premium bonds.

The house purchase is a renovation project which I will sell at some point. I will have a 5 year fixed rate mortgage so my outgoings will be pretty stable for the foreseeable future. I am not going to rush this project, I want to do as much as I can to keep costs down to maximise profits.

Still not made a decision on BTL because tbh I can't see them giving a higher return than the one my investments made.

I'm quite happy with what I have achieved so far this year.
    • Listerbelle
    • By Listerbelle 10th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 5,488 Thanks
    Listerbelle
    A very belated catch up from me!

I'm still living abroad, and still caught up with day-to-day life with two kids (now 8 and 3) and a husband who works long hours and travels a lot for work.

Our net worth continues to increase, but we are well aware that we should better leverage ourselves if we are to head toward the 10 million figure in our lifetime. (I'm 48)

Two of our three residential rental properties are nearly paid off. The mortgage on the third has longer to go but that property has always been a net income producer.

Since becoming a parent of two children, I have become more aware of my environment and our impact on it. I joined a local "Buy Nothing" Facebook group in the hope of occasionally obtaining a few items for our children, which would both save us money and reduce the worldwide demand for tat.

I was in the middle of Kondoing our home when our younger child was born, but realized that I simply didn't have the energy required to sell the things that I no longer needed. Slowly I gained the confidence to simply give away hundreds upon hundreds of pounds worth of items. I discovered that the more I gave away, the more things would come our way from the group. I very quickly learned to tell my family that a new item is "on loan from the BN group for a couple of months before it goes to the next family".

Soon enough, I was taking the term "Buy Nothing" very seriously. Do you know what happens when your household has a great income and you realize that you no longer actually need to buy new clothes, shoes, boots, toys....fruit, vegetables, bread?

For us, several things have occurred:
    * We are obviously improving our bank balance.
    * Our home is less cluttered and feels more peaceful
    * We are much more aware of other people and their needs, and make decisions relating to this.
    * Our children spontaneously offer up their things for another boy/girl/family
    * Environmentally, fewer items go directly from our home to the bin or recycling.
    * Reducing trips to the shops means we have more time for other things or people.

A year or so ago I mentioned the value of a pound in your hand is actually worth anywhere from 2-12 pounds depending on what you do with it. This is even more apparent to me now.

I still wish that I had the energy and tenacity to have my own business. While I know that we couldn't make it work for our lifestyle right now, I am slowly forming some realistic and achievable plans.
    Last edited by Listerbelle; 10-08-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Summer fun: continuing my Buy Nothing, Kondo-ing quest as we hurtle towards multi-generational financial freedom.
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 10th Aug 18, 12:42 PM
    • 3,457 Posts
    • 6,152 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    Still not made a decision on BTL because tbh I can't see them giving a higher return than the one my investments made.

I'm quite happy with what I have achieved so far this year.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    You know me very B2L pro but the goverment is trying to stop house prices rising to 'help people on the market' and it feels they are focusing all their efforts on B2L Landlord's atm.....

I hate to say it, but I really do believe house prices will drop soon, and personally *right now* I would say wait it out, because the goverment are still 'focused' on LL's.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 11th Aug 18, 6:57 AM
    • 10,579 Posts
    • 67,279 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning everyone

Kaya.....good advice there. You are right. I will wait and see.

Listerbelle -how lovely to hear from you. I love your post, you sound so positive, upbeat and happy. I really resonate with what you have to say about simple living. This is the direction my life has been taking over the last year or so.

It is truly liberating isn't it. I hardly ever "go shopping" now. I just dont feel the need. I have more than enough clothes, shoes, etc

The effects of simple living are really quite astonishing. I too have found that the more I give, the more I seem to receive. The universe in balance I guess. . And of course the major benefit is more time.......

And you are so right.....the 1 in your hand can be worth a lot more that a mere 1. It's how we spend that 1 that counts,

Because I now live well within my means my modest income more than covers my day to day living. I have been able to take out a small mortgage so that I can buy a nicer property without depleting my capital. The capital can work for me rather than me having to dip into it to fund my retirement. I haven't had to draw down yet to supplement my pension income, instead I am able reinvest my capital and watch it grow.

I put this down to simple living. I too am very conscious of the impact we make on the environment and try to do my bit to reduce consumption.

Obviously when I move I will have things I need to buy, but I shall take my time. I wont suddenly go on a mad spending spree and I will continue to declutter and either sell or donate my unwanted treasures.

Onwards and upwards.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 11-08-2018 at 6:59 AM.
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 30th Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 3,457 Posts
    • 6,152 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    I had to go back two pages to find this!!!

How is everyone?

I guess perhaps cause it's Summer? Honestly don't have loads to update myself...I've decided on a career now Web Development and I'm taking that route with the IT part of my degree and have been working away on CodeAcademy for the past 2 weeks. Going pretty well tbh and it's nice to have something to focus on. I might want to get into software development down the line which was really the end goal but I believe web development is the easier option for getting a job and getting started quicker.

Can either start my own business or get a job too doing it....so swings and roundabouts. I want the adult company and going out to work but I also don't want to put the kids in 9-5 childcare... + if I started a business I could keep my current job till it was earning enough...but taking one step at a time.

To update on my friend I was helping, he bought a puppy and has been a bit distracted since so I don't think that is going ahead...I guess I was offering too much support really and I can only do so much before he needed to do the work himself which he didn't ...so what can you do. I tried.

Still going for my starter goal of earning a 30k wage by the time I'm 30 and it feels a lot more do-able now as starter web developers jobs are around 20-25k and ones that need '3-4' years experience tend to be around 35k-40k mark....so fingers crossed all goes well.
    • Muhren
    • By Muhren 30th Aug 18, 11:44 PM
    • 1,522 Posts
    • 2,945 Thanks
    Muhren
    A little update from me - the good news is, I have just passed the 190k NAV mark, the not so good news is that it is looking unlikely that I will reach my end of year target of 200k. Not the end of the world, it was quite an ambitious one anyway

This hasn't been helped by my company's shares having taken a bit of a hit this year as we are getting rid of one part of the business. We will be getting shares in the new company but we will have to wait and see how I stand in terms of my overall holding once it has gone through and the dust has settled, which should be early next year hopefully.
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt 38,180/ Now 0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016

Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

• Honeybears
    • By Honeybears 31st Aug 18, 11:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Honeybears
    Hi all I have just joined and would love to be a millionaire in the next 10 years😩. My main issue I feel is that I can not seem to come up with a solid plan of action to get there! I had thought about starting a small business but can not really think of any business ideas! Creativity is not really my strong point🤣 so was thinking about maybe going into the property business and doing services apartments or HMO but I do not have any disposable cash at the to put down a deposit but have started saving so that hopefully by the end of next year I can have 16k saved up to put down on a deposit for a house. The house I get will be my second mortgage which will mean I have to pay extra taxes on it. I was thinking about going on a course about investing and creating passive incomes but first there are so many out there I am not sure which ones are good or they are super expensive
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Sep 18, 7:59 AM
    • 10,579 Posts
    • 67,279 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning everyone.......lovely to see people starting to post again. I guess now that the summer is drawing to a close more of us will be ready to forge ahead again. And what a summer ....glorious weather. And still a bit more nice weather to come.

And welcome to Honeybears, nice to see a new face. I often wonder how Tink, the lady who started the thread, is getting on.

Well now news at last. I legally complete on the new house on 10th September. It's taken 4 months, feels like a marathon. I won't bore you with all the ups and downs but let's just say the old mantra "persistence pays off' has worked once again.

Got there in the end.

Other than that not much news. Finished the course of acupuncture, feel much better although I think knee surgery is still on the horizon, but if I can postpone it for a while, by having acupuncture and the occasional steroid injection then all to the good.

On the Money side. Well as you all know moving house ain't cheap but I am happy enough. I have taken out a small mortgage so as not to completely clean myself out and shall be left with some working capital for renovations and some for investing. My investments are doing ok, currently at around a 10 per cent return, so better than the banks and of course it's all passive, so no effort required from me.

I have more or less decided against BTL for now. I don't think a BTL would beat 10% and I really don't fancy the hassle if I'm honest. Maybe if I were younger.

Your plans sound good Kaya. IT may of course not be the high payer it once was.....my husband was an IT consultant ......but I think there is still money there, especially in coding. Don't know much about web design if I'm honest. I understand there are "off the shelf" packages but like anything else I'm sure if you are good then you will get the business and make good money.

Do you still do any photography........

My DIL arranged a shoot for the baby last week and I got chatting to the photographer. We talked about the photography business and he admitted that it's getting tougher for freelance work. Apparently newspapers have slashed their rates.

He was in his 50s and is quite happy just "plodding along". He is in the fortunate position that he made big money in the past and is now well established and actually has taken his foot off the pedal to deliberately scale down his work load so he can devote more time to his son, so for him it's more of a hobby business now. Very interesting chat.

Muhren......we are about neck and neck with our net worth. Don't worry about not quite making your target.....just keep at it, you'll get there.

Hope everyone is well and having fun.....and of course making lots of money.
    • GooeyBlob
    • By GooeyBlob 2nd Sep 18, 9:04 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    GooeyBlob
    Excellent thread, thought I'd say hello even though I'm a little late. Hope people don't mind listening to my story, despite the progress so far I'm a long way to a million.

I'm 47 and have always lived frugally and saved and invested as much as possible but a couple of years ago I wondered if it would be possible to become a millionaire on my then salary of 29K. I didn't actually know what my net worth was so sat down on the laptop with a free spreadsheet and started to work it all out. I had to dig out old statements for pension pots, S+S ISAs, savings etc, added a conservative estimate for the house I bought outright for under 50K almost 20 years ago and came to a figure well under the half way mark, but a still impressive 420K. Not bad for someone who started work penniless in 1993 and has never earned a big salary. Naturally, I shop at the reduced section every day rather than doing a big weekly shop, brew my own booze and only buy clothes twice a year in the sales. Hey, that's just the way I was brought up. Scrimp and save.

Some of my success thus far was down to investing in a Goldfish stocks and shares ISA (remember that brand?) just after buying the house. Small sums at first, invested in a variety of funds to diversify. It turned out that this ISA was run by Scottish Widows whose funds were not at the top end of the performance spectrum, but it has taught me a lot over the years and it has still substantially outperformed savings, crashes and all. There is no comparison. Obviously, since I discovered Trustnet three years ago I haven't put any more money into this ISA. I've also been picking a few stocks.

In the last couple of years I have been investing hard, transferring poor savings accounts to S+S ISAs and doing far more stock picking but still keeping a good pot in savings for emergencies like redundancy or market crashes. At the end of August my spreadsheet told me I was worth over 510K. Cripes, I'm now a half millionaire. That's not financial security though.

It's still going to take a few years to get to that million mark. There may well be a crash in the next few years, but then that means it'll be yellow sticker time on the stock market and I'll use some of my emergency savings to fill my trolley with undervalued stocks. Another problem is that my industry is dying and I may have to find another job as I approach fifty, but I'll find something somehow. I'll negotiate these obstacles as and when they happen though, armed with a good attitude to spending and investing. And compounding is magic.

You know, today I took an hour out from listening to the test match for a stroll in the glorious Sunday afternoon sunshine. I took a little plastic pot and picked a few wild blackberries as they're free. Rinsed under the tap, those will do for tomorrow morning at work. One of my five a day, and who wants to pay 2 a punnet? I also noticed a lot of ripe elderberries, I'm mightily tempted to make a gallon of hedgerow port this year...
    Last edited by GooeyBlob; 02-09-2018 at 9:31 PM. Reason: Claridy a few points
    Saved many thousands of pounds over the past decade by brewing my own booze.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 3rd Sep 18, 12:33 PM
    • 10,579 Posts
    • 67,279 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hi Gooey Blob. ...what a funny name.....I Darent ask.

Great post, very interesting story. And wow, well done on becoming a half millionaire. Just shows how "scrimping and saving" works.

Actually I really don't feel like I'm scrimping. I live a simple life on a small passive income but I don't really miss out. I travel, have a nice home, eat well, love nice clothes and furniture etc, get out and about, and have been able to give my kids a leg up onto the property ladder. My car is getting on a bit a but it goes like the clappers so cant see the need to replace it just yet.....I was tempted a couple of weeks ago with a nice little convertible but it was manual and with my dodgy knees I prefer automatics. Lol.

If I hadn't given money to my kids I too would now be almost at the half million mark but I am more than happy to have been able to gift them money to give them a good start ...no point in making them wait until I die. I intend to live for a very loooooong time.

I am quite happy indulging my champagne tastes on my lemonade budget so that I can continue saving and investing.

The home brew sounds interesting .....hedgerow port sounds good.

One of my little money stretchers is to make a lot my own bath and beauty products. All natural ingredients, no nasty chemicals and a fraction of the price. Pity Anita Roddick got there before me.

Oh well coffee break over, back to the packing. Only 1 week to go.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 03-09-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 4th Sep 18, 12:52 PM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    lots of stuff
    Originally posted by Honeybears

I have a very similar issue - I have plenty of time to do stuff, some money to put behind it, but can't think of anything that suits.

I wouldn't be paying to go on a course about investing or creating a passive income - there are so many of these "courses" that are nothing but opportunities for people to sell their ideas, which may or may not be profitable - if they're that successful, why the need to pitch up in a dodgy motel off the M6 for a weekend? There is so much information on the web for free that I can't see a need for a course. The only problem is that you'll find it difficult to discover *exactly* what people do for their passive incomes - because in telling you the full details, you may then become their direct competitor. So you can't blame them for that.

Back in the day I signed up for quite a variety of "internet marketing" email newsletters, all of which talk about how to implement web sites and do proper conversion of enquiries to customers and therefore money, but the one detail always missing is exactly what you're supposed to be selling. In many cases, I suspect you're intended to sell the very same thing that the course is selling - the idea of how to make passive income. And that's about as close to a pyramid scheme as you can get, IMO.

There's a lot of interesting stuff on here, links to external web sites, and the "saving and investing" board can probably tell you a lot about investing if you read through a lot of threads. Like all forums, there are arguments and posters who don't know what they're talking about, but you'll get used to who knows and who doesn't. I'd just advise against posting something like "how do I get started investing?" as it's been asked a million times and had as many different answers. Just have a browse and soak up the information there.
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 8th Sep 18, 10:51 PM
    • 3,457 Posts
    • 6,152 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    Interesting posts atm!!!

LL - Not exactly doing photography anymore...keep doing the odd piece as friends ask but I don't want the 'work' tbh, apart from one photographer asked me to second shoot in June 2018 which I did (ironically for a Bride I refered after I quit!) and he's asked me for another in June ...2019..lol

I would say the need for photography has grown, but the equipment is so much easier to use now days that anyone with a decent camera could charge for family shoot - obvouisly it takes a lot of skill to be a pro, but you can achieve semi-decent results now ..if I'm being honest...photographers would argue the toss about this... lol...plus as I say as the need has grown, and photography has got easier...so has the pure amount of photographers but I do believe the money is there if you have the business incentive and drive.

I'm not sure about a consultant but from my research a Web developer of 5+ years average wage is above 50k. Junior wages is around 23-27k...but they all want a years experience that I've seen...so starting my own business doing it might be the way forward until I can break into the industry.

Tbh not sure what to do. My current role I earn around 1k a month with no CC costs (Evening work) but it's not great for family life. My youngest has just started school so breakfast and after school club costs 500 a month, and a full-time role(40/h) on min wage is 1,200 a month...so that would mean I'd be earning 700 for more hours and would have holiday costs + most the roles are around a 30min drive into the city center which means in theory I'd have an hour to get back for kids which is a bit touchy as there is no one else to call incase I get in traffic or anything....and it means putting kids in 8 - 6 childcare.

However, I'm starting to hate my job. I have an interview for the end of next week and if sucessful, he has said they have full-time and part time role of 10 - 2...but I can't afford to quit my current job on the part-time income - I could do both, but then I have my degree and this website development to think about.

Ruling out full-time for now (as his hours don't quite work with breakfast/after school club although he did say there was some flexabilty)

Option 1 ) work two jobs, focus on degree, website development will most likely get pushed to one side due to lack of time...but bare in mind the company is in the IT industry and has in-house development roles so could open career prospects...

Option 2) Carry on as I am, focus on studying and either start my own business or wait till a job comes up in my career option but I do worry that without experience it's going to be hard to get my foot in the door. Option 1 isn't really website based so might not provide this, but does give me a side step into the right direction. Plus with being self-employed I worry not being around people in same industry or to train me will mean I'm missing info. Hard to explain on here but these courses seem to teach you how to make a website, but not really about getting a website to run on both mobile and laptop, and making sure it works in both safari and chrome if that makes sense...

Option 3) Stay as I am, never come on here again, and work a dead end job the rest of my life (yay!)
    Last edited by Kayalana99; 08-09-2018 at 11:05 PM.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 9th Sep 18, 11:40 AM
    • 481 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    crv1963
    I think you're all inspirational.

GooeyBob, I'm glad someone else is plodding away at it like me, slow and steady with the odd setback. Mrs CRV and I have taken a decision of when we want to stop the work wheel, planned what we need and how to get there.

We're a bit older than you, but are looking at pensions as way of boosting savings, simply because the tax relief adds so much to the sum total, have you looked into that aspect? Under current rules you can access these savings at 55, although it was announced the govt wants to raise this to 58.

If stocks fell just before accessing the pension fund then we'd have to use other savings or work a bit longer while they recover their value.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 19th Sep 18, 10:43 AM
    • 3,457 Posts
    • 6,152 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    Well, interesting development. I went for the interview for the job above and things have been...well interesting!!!

They loved me. They offered me a higher salary then I asked for (albeit 500 a year more, but still!) they said they can see me progressing with the company and can't wait to have me on board. I had an interview with my managers essentially, then I had a mini interview with the 'top guns' I guess just to screen a bit more, but they were both amateur photographers...so I was just in my element, I felt so at ease which is unlike me for interviews. They actually seem to like the fact I have ambition rather than seeing it as a 'she won't stay long' problem.

The money was better than expected, and we've looked at the figures and we can afford for me to quit my evening job. Still looking at being around 450 worse off a month so we will be seriously cutting back, but it will be a better life-style as I'll be working 11 - 3pm. I get 27 days (?!) holiday + bank holidays (if I work them I get an extra day etc) and I won't be tired all the time.

I'm going to prob look at starting a business again to earn some side money, not sure if I will go back into photography (depends if we really struggle financially I will do this as I know I can earn a decent amount on weekends) or the website business, focus on learning to code more so I can make my own, or the company I'm going with have development jobs open so I may even be able to find something with them down the line.

Seeing this as a career move even if it puts us back a bit financially but if I don't get out now, will I ever because the excuse will always be the pay drop which I guess I need to take to progress with another company...

P.S I've been in touch with several developers in India - the idea is to get the website business going sooner by outsourcing and had some promising looking ones.... will let you know how that goes but I've put a pin in it till mid Oct as I will be working two jobs for about two weeks, then my time will free up!
    Last edited by Kayalana99; 19-09-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 4th Oct 18, 7:06 AM
    • 10,579 Posts
    • 67,279 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello Everyone

Just thought I'd drop by now that I finally have broadband again. I can't believe how long it took.

Anyway I moved in on the 10th September and it all went very smoothly. I am gradually getting straight and organised. I've mainly been concentrating on the outside for now. I have found a good gardener/handyman and am getting to know the local shops and amenitities. The neighbours are lovely and everyone is very friendly and of course I'm still near to my family and friends. It's going to be an interesting project, I'm going to enjoy it.

It's already a nice house but I know I can turn it into a show stopper. I just have to be careful not to overspend so I can maximise my profits. Need to watch the cash flow, as always. .

I'm currently reviewing my normal expenditure and shopping around on utilities, insurances. Doing ok so far, managed to reduce quite a few of my outgoings.

Not sure whether to start paying down the mortgage fairly soon rather than "just saving". I am happy enough with the return on my long term investments but the short term savings rates are so poor I think I might just throw any surplus at the mortgage. I'll look into it after Christmas.

Now that I have had chance to make a start on the decluttering I realise that I still have a lot of stuff to sell so that's something else to look at next year. Maybe start a bit of antique dealing again.

Kaya. How is the new job going. Are you still doing your degree. DS2 has just started his course whilst still doing the day job, although reduced hours. Like you he's very busy but again like you very focussed and determined. I'm sure the hard work will pay off for both of you.

Fitness wise I'm doing well, pacing myself, eating healthily, building up the exercise again and steadily getting fitter and stronger. Good job because I'm determined to do as much of the work here as I can to keep costs down.

I did work myself to a standstill when I first moved in. I hit a wall and had to rest for a few days. I used the enforced rest time to finish my memoirs.

Onwards and upwards everyone.
    • shocker1616
    • By shocker1616 6th Oct 18, 2:36 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    shocker1616
    Inspiring post, saved for future reference... thanks!
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 6th Oct 18, 4:43 PM
    • 3,457 Posts
    • 6,152 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    Nothing like a good project to throw yourself into!!!

Actually start Monday so haven't got that far yet, there was a 3 week gap. Been clocking the over time at work too so we can stock pile a bit.

As I won't be driving my Husband's car to work anymore as I'll be working in the day I went and dropped 2k on a lovely little convertible...always wanted one and we have Husband's car to be the 'family' car and drove it an hour away from the garage for the roof to break and stop half way....luckily the garage have been great and even got it towed but I've still not got it back a week today it happened...hopefully soon though everyone has been really friendly about it (us included haha) and it is what it is.

I've been eyeing the Audi convertibles for my next car...I shouldn't be getting that far ahead but I really think this is the year things will turn around for us financially, or at least over the next 12 months anyway. Never been much of a car person either but driving it with roof down (albeit for the hour I drove it down the M1 lol) I just love it to pieces despite the issue..... it's one of those things lol.

Money is going to be a bit tighter for next few months but I've moved some savings into my business account and I'm going to 'pay' myself an extra wage from it as a 'reward' for the hours I'm putting into studying the website development, then ideally I will start earning an income that will overtake the 'wage' I'm paying myself before the money runs out in the business account....so about 10 months total give or take and I'm aiming to get started around 6 month mark if not earlier, because I'm looking into ways of using templates to get it started sooner and then I can carry on learning in the background but hoping by 6 months I can code a website etc.

Also hoping as I'm not working a manual job as much as I'll have less time as I'll be spending more time in eve with family, I won't be as tired so can make more of the time I have. It's ok saying I have all day free whilst kids are at school but often I'd just be so tired I'd end up back in bed or not being able to focus.

Maybe slightly strange but I drove home last night and just sat outside the house in the car listening to the rain for over an hour, just feels like everything is going to change from now on...the warehouse job felt like freedom in a way from 'adulting' and now I feel like I'm moving into the real world...sounds a bit cheesy but hey ho.

My aim now going forward, my motto, is to do what I say I'm going to do. I'm going to get it written for my office wall somewhere and it's going to be what I live by.

So fingers crossed, the next 12 months will take me where I want to be.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 6th Oct 18, 5:31 PM
    • 10,579 Posts
    • 67,279 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Spent most of my day repairing a window - new one next year when I convert the loft so don't want to spend money getting it replaced until I know for sure exactly what I want. Dormer or skylights - it all depends on what building control advise. Them crawling around trying to fix a radiator leak until the plumber can get here.

I am now exhausted and as stiff as board, completely seized up. Ah the joys of buying a money pit. Having friends round for wine and tapas later. Hope I can liven up a bit.

Kaya. Lots of Interesting plans. Loving the sound of the convertible. Why not. You've earned your reward. You're soooo worth it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

392Posts Today

5,141Users online

Martin's Twitter