Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • Tailzer
    • 13th Sep 11, 11:36 PM
    • 13th Sep 11, 11:36 PM
    Please update links for OpenOffice.org to libreoffice.org as there is not much work being done on Ooo due to most developer now working on LibreOffice. Also a quick plug for Software Freedom Day on Sat 17th Sept 2011, find your local Linux User Group or Computer club for help installing and using free software. If you are in the Southend area I will see you @ Soslug.org
    :O)
  • ScratchandSniff-->[X]
    • 14th Sep 11, 12:02 AM
    • 14th Sep 11, 12:02 AM
    With the VERY HIGH cost of motoring these days, is there a free Motoring Expenses programme out there.
    Originally posted by whmf00001
    www.Fuelly.com does it for you.
  • jpmcc
    • 14th Sep 11, 8:49 AM
    OpenOffice.org software is now LibreOffice
    • 14th Sep 11, 8:49 AM
    The people behind OpenOffice.org were upset when their main corporate sponsor was swallowed by by another IT giant, Oracle. Oracle wouldn't give them the OpenOffice.org trademark, so they rebranded the software as LibreOffice.

Confusingly, Oracle have kept up the OpenOffice.org site as a spoiler, but as they have fired all their developers, the action is now taking place at LibreOffice.

John
  • wisteria
    • 14th Sep 11, 10:31 AM
    Powerful Accounting package
    • 14th Sep 11, 10:31 AM
    For a good accounting package that works on Windows, and under wine in Linux, search for osfinancials. (I can't post the link directly, but it ends in .org)

I find it a very flexible, powerful program that does debtors, creditors, stock control and VAT to name a few features.
    • david100351
    • By david100351 14th Sep 11, 11:15 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    david100351
    • 14th Sep 11, 11:15 AM
    Website building software
    • 14th Sep 11, 11:15 AM
    I have been looking for a good browser-based website construction system, which is either free or free-opensource. There is little around which does not immediately hook you in to their own format, and where you need to pay to do anything useful.

I have tried Joomla! which is extraordinary and versatile, but makes my eyeballs bleed, and then I discovered what you can do with Wordpress.

Both require a database or two on your webhosting package, eg mysql. Or, you can use "free" hosting on a wordpress site, wordpress dot com. It is paid for by the ads they put on your site, and it is a subdomain name that you gat "yoursite.wordpress.com" so I don't recommend it, but it works, and you could try it out that way for nothing.

Wordpress v3 can be used to make a very presentable and easy-to-edit website, and definitely NOT just a blog. In fact, you don't need a blog on your site to use it at all.

With a mix of free and commercial plug-ins covering everything from online shopping/selling to search-engine optimisation, and also with a range of tutorial sites offering free setup advice and free videos as well, I chose it, and I recommend you look at it too.

And the huge advantage is that once it is set up it can be run entirely through a webbrowser. Fantastic.
    Last edited by david100351; 14-09-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    • defairmans
    • By defairmans 14th Sep 11, 12:29 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 14,678 Thanks
    defairmans
    • 14th Sep 11, 12:29 PM
    • 14th Sep 11, 12:29 PM
    Does anyone know if this free packages come with an e-mail programme like Outlook Express? If not, is there a similar free programme?

I am always trying to convince my husband that we should take advantage of free software but he is wary and wants software compatible to what he has used before.

Thanks for the article MSE and all the helpful posters.
    • fwor
    • By fwor 14th Sep 11, 12:41 PM
    • 6,224 Posts
    • 4,280 Thanks
    fwor
    • 14th Sep 11, 12:41 PM
    • 14th Sep 11, 12:41 PM
    There are quite a few Open Source email programs that are like Outlook/Outlook Express.

One of the best (IMO) is Mozilla's Thunderbird, which if you use it with the Lightning calendar add-on, is functionally similar to Outlook.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 14th Sep 11, 12:42 PM
    • 7,890 Posts
    • 3,909 Thanks
    Stompa
    • 14th Sep 11, 12:42 PM
    • 14th Sep 11, 12:42 PM
    Does anyone know if this free packages come with an e-mail programme like Outlook Express? If not, is there a similar free programme?
    Originally posted by defairmans
    Thunderbird would seem the obvious choice:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/
    Stompa
    • steveE2
    • By steveE2 14th Sep 11, 12:43 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    steveE2

I am always trying to convince my husband that we should take advantage of free software but he is wary and wants software compatible to what he has used before.

Thanks for the article MSE and all the helpful posters.
    Originally posted by defairmans
    No free e-mail with Libreoffice but I find thunderbird very good
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/features
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 14th Sep 11, 1:05 PM
    • 9,086 Posts
    • 6,837 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    There are quite a few Open Source email programs that are like Outlook/Outlook Express.

One of the best (IMO) is Mozilla's Thunderbird, which if you use it with the Lightning calendar add-on, is functionally similar to Outlook.
    Originally posted by fwor
    Nothing better as far as my opinion is trusted
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
  • Former MSE Becca
    LibreOffice
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have now added LibreOffice to the article, replacing OpenOffice:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/free-office-software#libreoffice

Please keep the suggestions coming in

MSE Becca
  • RussJK
    Media Player Classic: Home Cinema:
    http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

Where VLC plays anything, MPC: HC is more likely to play it quickly.

It was the player of choice for netbook owners trying to view HD 720p content, as it was one of the few with hardware acceleration and gave some control over renderers and codecs. VLC have since developed their own experimental hardware acceleration which returned it to being my primary player, but MPC: HC is still faster.
  • pc10pc
    a good, free alternative to autodesk's autoCAD and autoCADLT is draftsight by dassault systemes.
    opens and creates .dwg files and I find it a good replacement for LT
  • blueskyabove
    Additions to the free software list?
    Mozilla Thunderbird: as an alternative email client/programme to Outlook (with the Lightning add-on for the calendar function). Very good and easy to set up.

7Zip: as an open source alternative to WinZip. Handles all sorts of zipped up files and is very quick and reliable.

Freemake: open source video converter with other functions. Excellent interface and simple to use. Much easier to use than Handbrake.

Freemind: open source mind mapping software. Been around a long time and works well. Good for planning complex tasks and/or developing ideas.

Eraser: open source software for securely erasing confidential data from your hard drive/USB stick etc.

Primo PDF: Excellent free software for producing PDF files from almost any software - it acts like an extra printer. There is a paid version but you don't need it to get the basic pdf functionality

ASAP Utilities: Use as a plug-in to Excel to add a huge number of automated procesess and functions which save time and effort.

OpenProj: Open source project management software which works and looks very much like Microsoft Project

Recuva: Software for recovering deleted and lost files. From the same people who do CCleaner.

Revo Uninstaller: Free version: very good at properly uninstalling software which the Windows uninstallation process does not always do.

Everything: A tiny and incredibly quick tool which rapidly indexes your hard disc(s) and can almost instantly help you find anything you have saved, wherever it is.
    • mr_fishbulb
    • By mr_fishbulb 15th Sep 11, 11:26 AM
    • 5,067 Posts
    • 2,819 Thanks
    mr_fishbulb
    Media Player Classic: Home Cinema:
    http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

Where VLC plays anything, MPC: HC is more likely to play it quickly.

It was the player of choice for netbook owners trying to view HD 720p content, as it was one of the few with hardware acceleration and gave some control over renderers and codecs. VLC have since developed their own experimental hardware acceleration which returned it to being my primary player, but MPC: HC is still faster.
    Originally posted by RussJK
    I've ended up with loads of media players on my machine. I have VLC and MPC (not the home cinema version) but the one I use most frequently is KMPlayer - http://kmplayer.en.softonic.com/

The video looks best on my 24" monitor and there are so many config options. Probably a bit overwhelming for the casual viewer though.
    • mr_fishbulb
    • By mr_fishbulb 15th Sep 11, 11:27 AM
    • 5,067 Posts
    • 2,819 Thanks
    mr_fishbulb
    Freemind: open source mind mapping software. Been around a long time and works well. Good for planning complex tasks and/or developing ideas.
    Originally posted by blueskyabove
    I've used this and actually prefer XMind (also free) - http://www.xmind.net/

You have some good apps on that list.
  • blueskyabove
    Try Concrete 5 for producing a web site.
  • RussJK
    I've ended up with loads of media players on my machine. I have VLC and MPC (not the home cinema version) but the one I use most frequently is KMPlayer.
    Originally posted by mr_fishbulb
    I'll have to give it a go!
  • janaltus
    Freeware suite - IBM Lotus Symphony - any good?
    A friend of mine has used IBM's Lotus SmartSuite for many many years but finds it no longer works on his Windows 7 PC and with his current hardware. I did some research to see if we could partition his hard drive and stick Ubuntu and some acceptable software on it instead. Whilst doing so I came across IBM Lotus Symphony http://www-03.ibm.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.nsf/home. It claims to be a suite of applications for creating, editing, and sharing text, spreadsheet, presentations and other documents, and is currently distributed as freeware.

I don't know if Smartsuite databases work with Symphony. In fact, I have no knowledge or experience of this software at all, which apparently works on Windows, Macs and Linux, so I make no claims myself. But I'd be interested to read any reviews, preferably before I suggest my friend tries it on his PC!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

1,747Users online

Martin's Twitter