Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • liney
    • By liney 7th Jun 06, 7:11 PM
    • 4,889Posts
    • 8,248Thanks
    liney
    My Muffins )
    • 7th Jun 06, 7:11 PM
    My Muffins ) 7th Jun 06 at 7:11 PM
    My muffins didn't rise like shop bought ones. Is this normal, or am i doing something wrong? I used the basic muffin recipie with some banana.

Anyone else got flat(ish) muffins?
Page 1
  • Gingham Ribbon
    • 7th Jun 06, 7:16 PM
    • 7th Jun 06, 7:16 PM
    I did when I used the food mixer. (Eek!) I think you need to be quite gentle with them. Do you think you might have over mixed it?
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • MrsKing
    • 7th Jun 06, 7:23 PM
    • 7th Jun 06, 7:23 PM
    Are you using bicarb and baking powder?
  • Queenie
    • 7th Jun 06, 7:39 PM
    • 7th Jun 06, 7:39 PM
    Apologies in advance if I state anything obvious, but I wanted to cover all bases.

1. Did you put enough of the muffin batter into each muffin tin? E.g. if you made up a recipe for say 6 but divided the amount between 12 cases?

2. Did you cook them too quickly, or open the oven door before they were due to be cooked fully?

3. Whichever recipe you follow, all ovens have their quirks and although all recipes give a guide to oven temp., it can only be a guide, so you need to know how *your* oven works. You can base this on other recipes, like cakes and adjust timing/temp for your own oven.

4. Muffin mix is meant to be a batter and not overly mixed like you would a cake. When you add the fluid component, you really only want to stir it through and a few lumpy bits in the batter are ok. It doesn't need to be fully beaten/incorporated like a pancake batter or a cake.

5. Did you measure everything accurately or did you guestimate/round up or used a heaped spoon measure when a level spoon was needed?

Finally, do persevere and don't be dispondent. Even the best chefs in the world can have recipe disasters ... on Great British Menu, I think it was Anthony Worrel Thompson who burnt his meat

Best of luck with your next attempt.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 8th Jun 06, 7:28 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 8th Jun 06, 7:28 AM
    • 8th Jun 06, 7:28 AM
    Shop muffins aren't natural! They have extra raising agents in them to make them that big and I would imagine extra other stuff to correct the odd taste too much raising agent causes.

The main cause of flat muffins is overbeating as has already been mentioned.
    NEVER EVER use electric beaters.Just mix gently until all the dry ingredients are wet.
    • liney
    • By liney 8th Jun 06, 8:38 AM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 8,248 Thanks
    liney
    • 8th Jun 06, 8:38 AM
    • 8th Jun 06, 8:38 AM
    I did mix by hand, but ill try again and restrain myself a little this time. They tasted nice, just looked abit scone like on the top IYKWIM.

Thanks all, ill report back.
    • bargainbetty
    • By bargainbetty 8th Jun 06, 11:56 AM
    • 3,106 Posts
    • 7,161 Thanks
    bargainbetty
    • 8th Jun 06, 11:56 AM
    • 8th Jun 06, 11:56 AM
    Agreeing with thriftlady here - you'll never get the shop-bought look at home, 'cos you don't have the means to pump them full of extra air.

Lumpy batter makes the best muffins too - just a fork to mix, none of that blender lark!
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!
    MFW - Joined May 2012, aiming to cut the mortgage by an extra two months every year. (Overpaid 3000 so far)
    , only 11 years to go.

• bigmuffins
    • 8th Jun 06, 12:21 PM
    • 8th Jun 06, 12:21 PM
    Hiya!
    Are you looking for big muffins? Well you can have them! Get a hold of "Muffins - fast and fantastic" by Susan Reimer and you will never look back! Can get from Amazon if your library doesn't have a copy! And DO read the introduction - she explains why muffins work and you understand what is happening and can adapt recipes to suit your taste!

My recipe for raspberry and white choc muffins is adapted from hers.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=144986&highlight=white+choc

I would agree with all the comments above and just add that if your muffins are a bit grainy on top - try adding the sugar to the liquid rather than with the flour! I do this and it dissolves better in the liquid giving a more tender crumb.
    HTH

It is that time of year again - I have to make 8 -10 batches of muffins next Saturday morning for the school summer fair! I like to bake them on the day so that they are fresh so I am hoping it will be a lot cooler next week!

Cheers
    bigmuffins
    • Swan
    • By Swan 8th Jun 06, 1:00 PM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    • 8th Jun 06, 1:00 PM
    • 8th Jun 06, 1:00 PM
    Hiya!
    Are you looking for big muffins? Well you can have them! Get a hold of "Muffins - fast and fantastic" by Susan Reimer and you will never look back! Can get from Amazon if your library doesn't have a copy! And DO read the introduction - she explains why muffins work and you understand what is happening
    by bigmuffins
    I'll second that. I spent years trying, & failing, to make decent muffins. but since I got the book from Lakeland a few years back, they've been wonderful & in fact are better than shop-bought
    • Gers
    • By Gers 8th Jun 06, 4:37 PM
    • 7,503 Posts
    • 50,918 Thanks
    Gers
    My tip, gleaned from the internet, is to pre-heat the oven to a higher temperature than the baking temperature and turn it down immediately, to the baking temperature, when you put the muffins into the oven. Since I've been doing this I've not had a flat topped muffin again.

Oh, that and not beating them too hard as others have said.
    • misty
    • By misty 8th Jun 06, 5:02 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    misty
    Why is it your not supposed to use an electric whisk - it overbeats them? I always use an electric whisk for my choc chip muffins and they are delicious. I'll bare it mind though for any others - I love muffins but we tend to have choc chip everytime - they do taste a million times better than the shop bought ones. I was quite happy with shop bought ones until I made my own - the difference is amazing.

Incidentally,a while ago I was looking for a thread I knew I had posted on so searched using my name. Anyway a number of threads came up and one(not the one I was looking for)looked interesting - posted in OS on cooking from scratch. Anyway somebody had posted about HM cakes and how good they taste - somebody else had posted saying they couldn't be bothered with cake making because of the faff and how cheaply you can buy cakes these days. What a Numpty I thought and then realised it was ME that had said it!!!!!Shows what an influence OS has had on me as I would never buy cakes now. Also, shows how friendly OS is that nobody posted what a numpty I was. In my defence I have always cooked meals but I did buy cakes. I didn't realise how much an influence this board has had. It also always friendly and helpful.
  • raeble
    Why is it your not supposed to use an electric whisk - it overbeats them? I always use an electric whisk for my choc chip muffins and they are delicious. I'll bare it mind though for any others - I love muffins but we tend to have choc chip everytime - they do taste a million times better than the shop bought ones. I was quite happy with shop bought ones until I made my own - the difference is amazing.
    by misty
    This article which has some tips on muffin making gives the reason why you shouldn't use an electric mixer. Quote below

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the liquid all at once. Stir with a spatula until mixed well and moistened-some lumps will remain. Do not over stir-stirring too much will develop the gluten in the flour and the muffin will not be tender and crumbly. To avoid over stirring, we prefer a spatula to an electric mixer.

Personally I think it is a waste to get out a whisk to do mixing which takes you a minute at most or so by hand. Even though I always have lumps when it goes in the trays, I've never bitten into a lump of uncooked flour once the muffins have come out of the oven. But then I've got a small kitchen and haven't got space for all these gadgets.
    Last edited by raeble; 08-06-2006 at 9:07 PM.
  • Kazonline
    What a Numpty I thought and then realised it was ME that had said it!!!!!
    Lol, that made me laugh! Off now to check out the link to the rasberry and white choccie muffin thread.... yum......
    Kaz x
    Edit .... oh no!!! There are loads of really tempting recipies there...... Guess my diet's out of the window again!!!
    Last edited by Kazonline; 08-06-2006 at 9:28 PM.
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 9th Jun 06, 5:19 AM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    Lol, that made me laugh! Off now to check out the link to the rasberry and white choccie muffin thread.... yum......
    Kaz x
    Edit .... oh no!!! There are loads of really tempting recipies there...... Guess my diet's out of the window again!!!
    by Kazonline
    Kaz, those white choc and raspberry muffins are a favourite here, and have also given a friend of mine the impression that i am a domestic godess, purely because of those muffins!!! (she should taste some of the things i have made!!!! )
  • bigmuffins
    Hiya again!
    Another thing to remember is not to over bake! Will dry out the muffin too much! I like mine moist inside - what I do is put timer on for 15 mins then have a look - usually turn them to brown evenly as my oven is funny that way! Then I usually leave in for another 10 mins or so, so that they are not too brown or dry.
    I find the mixture very easy going - doesn't matter how many time the oven is opened - never sink! Not like sponge mixtures!
    I could not believe how simple these were - I was introduced to muffins a long while ago by a recipe in the lakeland catalogue - carrot and orange spice muffins and got the book after having a huge success with them
    Everyone thinks I am some kind of cooking guru too because of those muffins and Susan Reimer's book! I have a few of my own flavours now as well as the ones in the book. When I bake just before school cake sales, I get a little entourage following me to the table as I walk through - the trays are empty before they hit the tables! I can never bake enough! I keep telling everyone how simple they are and hand out copies of the recipe - have got lots of converts to baking because of it!

I once had visitors arrive when DD1 was teeny and made a batch for them (lemon drizzle as that was all I had to hand) and they were well impressed!
    Thought that I was some kind of super organised earth mother! Little did they know that I was in the depths of PND!
    Have planted raspberries in garden this year (had them old house - yummy!) so will be stocking up freezer for the winter!

As I mention in the recipe, can bake the recipe in a loaf or shaped tin and get a cutting cake or dessert.

There is a carrot and orange spice muffin recipe which is soo easy and scrummy too! I think is in the new editions of Susan Reimer's book but if anyone wants it - let me know and I post copy of my adapted recipe.

I have come across lots of recipes that need to be mixed like normal cake mixes but I find most of these a bit too dry!
    Tried a Delia muffin recipe too and have to say I much prefer the Susan Reimer ones!

Happy baking (& eating!)
    bigmuffins
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 10th Jun 06, 3:59 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I'll second that. I spent years trying, & failing, to make decent muffins. but since I got the book from Lakeland a few years back, they've been wonderful & in fact are better than shop-bought
    by Swan
    I'll third it - Susan Reimer's book has been invaluable to me.I was deciding whether to buy it in Lakeland a few years ago, when I noticed in the intro she says that if you can't eat eggs you can substitute extra milk.My dd is allergic to eggs so I immediately decided to buy it.She was right the muffins turn out absolutely fine without egg.I never use egg-keeps the cost down too One of my most used cookbooks.

I think she also has adaptations for people who can't eat wheat or dairy.
    • jaxxy00
    • By jaxxy00 10th Jun 06, 11:19 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    jaxxy00
    Just found this thread, as im now making choc muffins and was wondering if i can freeze them? If not they all get scoffed and dont last. If i can freeze them is it ok to put them in freezer bags, how long will they keep in the freezer, how long do they take to thaw out and most importantly do they taste just as good!!?
    I would really like to get into bulk baking/cooking but never know how to freeze, what can be cooked straight from the freezer etc so im now going to have a nosey round to try and find out.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 11th Jun 06, 8:16 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I freeze muffins all the time.I just put them into plastic bags and bung in the feezer.

When I want them I defrost them in the microwave 30-40 secs for one muffin,a bit longer for more.If you don't use the microwave they take about 30 mins to defrost depending on the weather !

For my kid's lunchboxes I pack them frozen and they're defrosted by mid-morning when they usually scoff them.

I've never noticed a deterioration in quality.

I love making muffins for my lot.They are quick and easy to make.I can make them to suit our dietry requirments.I can use oil instead of butter which is cheaper,easier to measure and healthier.I can use all sorts of things to make them different each time.I think I'll go and whip up a batch now
    • jaxxy00
    • By jaxxy00 11th Jun 06, 11:41 AM
    • 994 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    jaxxy00
    Thanks thriftlady. I would also like to use oil instead of marg as i should imagine it helps to keep them more moist too but how much oil would i use in the place of 100g marg? I dont think it would be right to weigh out 100g of oil, would i melt the 100g of marg and see how much liquid that makes and then use the equivalent in oil?
    Just thought of something else, (sorry full of questions i am), when i makethem i first have to cream the sugar and marg together, how will i get that fluffiness with sugar and oil or will it still work the same?
    Thanks.
    • Swan
    • By Swan 11th Jun 06, 12:32 PM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    Thanks thriftlady. I would also like to use oil instead of marg as i should imagine it helps to keep them more moist too but how much oil would i use in the place of 100g marg? I dont think it would be right to weigh out 100g of oil, would i melt the 100g of marg and see how much liquid that makes and then use the equivalent in oil?
    Just thought of something else, (sorry full of questions i am), when i makethem i first have to cream the sugar and marg together, how will i get that fluffiness with sugar and oil or will it still work the same?
    Thanks.
    by jaxxy00
    don't know about the butter/oil conversion. but seriously jaxxy00, get the Suzan Reimer book, I can't recommend it enough ... there's no creaming involved in making proper American muffins & most of the recipes use oil. they're so easy to make & produce wonderful results every time
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

26Posts Today

3,576Users online

Martin's Twitter