Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • riverboat2001
    • By riverboat2001 23rd Apr 11, 2:26 PM
    • 472Posts
    • 141Thanks
    riverboat2001
    Shower Tray or wet room?
    • 23rd Apr 11, 2:26 PM
    Shower Tray or wet room? 23rd Apr 11 at 2:26 PM
    Having a new bathroom fitted, ignoring the possible difference in costs (unless one wil be substantially more)

Does anyone have a wet room?

I was all set for a large shower tray and enclosure, when i was asked if i would prefer a wet rom instead. Will also have a toilet and handbasin in there, and i was worried that anyone going in after someone who has had a shower will get wet feet!

Can anyone offer reall life pro's or con's to each option...

Many Thanks
    Was a 40 a day smoker for 20 years.
    Decided to give up, and haven't had a fag for 12 years.
    Halfway through losing six stone.

Looking forward to early retirement.
Page 1
    • mchale
    • By mchale 24th Apr 11, 3:11 AM
    • 1,828 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    mchale
    • 24th Apr 11, 3:11 AM
    • 24th Apr 11, 3:11 AM
    Wet room more possibility of leaks, bad if bathroom is upstairs, personally I'd go with a large shower tray
    • By 2010 24th Apr 11, 6:18 AM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 3,365 Thanks
    • 24th Apr 11, 6:18 AM
    • 24th Apr 11, 6:18 AM
    I was all set for a large shower tray and enclosure, when i was asked if i would prefer a wet rom instead. Will also have a toilet and handbasin in there, and i was worried that anyone going in after someone who has had a shower will get wet feet!
    Originally posted by riverboat2001
    ------- and probably a wet a*se as well.
    Stick to a shower tray and confine the water to one area.
    • BonandDom
    • By BonandDom 24th Apr 11, 6:32 AM
    • 479 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    BonandDom
    • 24th Apr 11, 6:32 AM
    • 24th Apr 11, 6:32 AM
    Having worked for a charities that facilitates the installation of wet rooms/level access showers for the disabled I'd recommend a wet room.

They look fantastic and done professionally the water drains, or is pumped out so the floor is not wet. Things to keep an eye out for:-

1. make sure a high quality non slip floor is used - some lovely ones are out there
    2. ensure the flooring goes up the wall slightly, about 1.5"
    3. the level of the floor should also have a very slight drop towards the drain (hardly noticeable to the eyes - or feet!)

Might be worth getting in touch with your local council to see who does the disabled facilities grant work in your area, as these contractors do it on a regular basis.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps.
    Light travels faster than sound - that's why you can see someone who looks bright until they open their mouth.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 24th Apr 11, 9:42 AM
    • 31,571 Posts
    • 80,927 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 24th Apr 11, 9:42 AM
    • 24th Apr 11, 9:42 AM
    We stayed in a holiday cottage last year that just had wet rooms with no curtains round the shower - and they were wet, for hours after anyone had had a shower - toilets, handbasins, towels. We stopped using the shower in one room just so we could go to the loo in the dry.

Using a disabled facility grant, my parents had their bathroom changed to a wet room so that there was no step into the shower but the council also installed half-doors which fold back against the wall when not in use and a shower curtain. They keep the water within the shower area but don't look very glamourous.

We have taken our bath out and installed a big shower tray with glass screens. This looks good and works really well.
  • hermanmunster
    • 24th Apr 11, 9:47 AM
    having had a leaking wetroom type shower (ie tiled floor - no tray) replaced by a tray I would say go for a tray ....
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 24th Apr 11, 9:47 AM
    • 9,471 Posts
    • 24,292 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    Another vote for the tray here.
  • londonsurrey
    • 24th Apr 11, 11:14 AM
    • 24th Apr 11, 11:14 AM
    I would go for a wet room with a shower tray. The joy of a wet room is that you can have "accidents"(wet dog/splashy child) and it not matter.
    The trick to using them is that you aim not to actually get the floor wet, the way you use a normal bathroom, but it's not a disaster when they get wet!

And cleaning is a dream. Just sluice water on everything, and the water magically wanders off down the drain. Bliss,.
  • londonsurrey
    • 24th Apr 11, 11:16 AM
    • 24th Apr 11, 11:16 AM
    If you're talking dream bathroom, then another option is a heated floor. Pricey, but oh so blissful...
    You've set me off here. Lol.
  • quiet life
    Definitely a shower tray. Less messier.
    • riverboat2001
    • By riverboat2001 24th Apr 11, 1:15 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    riverboat2001
    If you're talking dream bathroom, then another option is a heated floor. Pricey, but oh so blissful...
    You've set me off here. Lol.
    Originally posted by londonsurrey
    I looked into the under floor heating and decided against it when i found out it needed to be switched on and allowed to heat up...
    Would fit me for my early shifts when i'm getting up at 4.30am!

• riverboat2001
    • By riverboat2001 24th Apr 11, 1:17 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    riverboat2001
    Thanks for all the input, i've decided to go with a large resin shower tray (think resin is more substantial than fibre glass)

• keystone
    • By keystone 24th Apr 11, 1:24 PM
    • 10,774 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    keystone
    Yes I would say that a stoneresin tray is your best option but you'll be needing to ensure that you strengthen the subfloor if necessary.

Incidentally a wetroom won't leak if its installed properly. There are two reasons why they leaki. First is too much movement of the structure which is why I'm not happy doing one above the ground floor as a general case. There is another poster on here who doesn't share my caution though. The second (and primary) cause of leaks is poor installation and there are far too many of these about.

Cheers
    • riverboat2001
    • By riverboat2001 24th Apr 11, 2:01 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    riverboat2001
    yep, this confirmed my thoughts about having one put in on the first floor, i didn't realise that resin was heavy.
    I was under the impression that the resin ones were man made i didn't think they were stone.

• keystone
    • By keystone 24th Apr 11, 2:02 PM
    • 10,774 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    keystone
    No they are not stone - they are resin but they are still damned heavy. Stoneresin is just a name.

Cheers
    • Ettenna
    • By Ettenna 24th Apr 11, 11:15 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    Ettenna
    I am having the same debate at the moment. We need to replace our bath (broken) and I want a shower tray and DH wants a wet room. I think tray will win

Stupid question though - how does the plumbing run from the shower tray? Does it need to be raised at all?
  • Plumberman
    Stupid question though - how does the plumbing run from the shower tray? Does it need to be raised at all?
    Originally posted by Ettenna
    Gravity..
    The waste pipe needs a slight fall on it for gravity to do it's magic..

There are pumped alternatives where the level on the shower is below the level of the drain..
    • beverleyhills
    • By beverleyhills 25th Apr 11, 8:58 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    beverleyhills
    Stayed in a hotel, the ensuite was a wet room with a glass screen between the shower and the toilet. Looked very nice. Doors to wet rooms need special attention.
    'You can't change the past, you can only change the future' Gary Boulet.

'Show me the person who never makes a mistake and I'll show you the person who never makes anything'. Anon
  • rumdiddlyum
    deffo shower tray
    well my granny has a wet room in her sheltered accomodation flat its great for her because she cant step up on a shower tray but i think that is the only reason to have a wet room i think they are like hospital showers they look dreadful deffo go for the shower tray unless your going for the hospital/sheltered flat look
  • moonrakerz
    she cant step up on a shower tray but i think that is the only reason to have a wet room
    Originally posted by rumdiddlyum
    If you get a "slimline" shower tray stepping up into it won't be a problem. My "stone" tray is only 2 inches high at the highest point. You do need to check beforehand that your floor under the tray location is capable of accepting the trap and waste pipe though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,541Posts Today

7,540Users online

Martin's Twitter