Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ridmeofdebt
    • By Ridmeofdebt 18th Apr 11, 1:19 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Ridmeofdebt
    I want the world to know what I have done today.
    • 18th Apr 11, 1:19 PM
    I want the world to know what I have done today. 18th Apr 11 at 1:19 PM
    I have transferred my notes from another forum as I wanted to keep this as a diary.
    Plan to get rid of debt but nervous - need some support
    This morning I woke up and decided that this is the week to do it.
    I have totalled up all my debts
    Credit card 1 - 1462.18
    Credit card 2 - 301.97
    Loan settlement figure 16,171.25
    Car loan settlement figure 2571.88
    Total debt 20,507.28

Total savings 19,035.64

If I pay off the debt with my savings then I will be 621.23 better off as well as the original 1000 that I also put away so will be 1620.00 better off per month to start my real savings. In a year I will have real savings of 19,000. I am ready to take the plunge and clear the debts but am really nervous about it.

Other than this I have a mortgage on my property and 2 mortgages on buy to let properties. The buy to let properties are fully covered by the rental income and I have an emergency fund of 3700 to cover any emergencies on the buy to let properties which I have not included in my total saving above.
    There is one other credit card debt which was run up by an ex- boyfriend 5600 which he pays me 100 per month to cover.

Am I doing the right thing or am I going to leave myself open to worry with no savings. By the 1st of May I will have 1600 to put into savings so why am I worrying or is it normal to think that I am doing the wrong thing even though I know it will be better for me in the long run.

I gave up meat for lent and for some reason see off loading my debt as a good way to celebrate Easter.

Well I have started the ball rolling.

I have just cleared my loan of 16,171.25 with my savings

Total debt left is now 4336.03

Total savings is now 2864.39

I am now going to raid another of my accounts to pay off the car loan. Watch this space.

I have just been to the bank and cleared the Car loan. I am now on a roll.

Total debt left is now 1764.15

Total savings is now 292.51

Still feel weird that I have done this but I know I am doing the right thing.

Just did the final calculations
    The total debt left is 1728.10
    Payday next week.
    Debts you are finally going DOWN!!!!!

I am more than happy to have a mortgage as my only debt. Good riddance to the debt. I will sleep easier now. As for holidays I am more than happy to holiday in the UK. I have a nice garden so I am going to take up gardening.

Page 1
  • life in termoil
    • 18th Apr 11, 2:43 PM
    • 18th Apr 11, 2:43 PM
    You seem to be on a roll. Your doing FANTASTIC. Keep up the good work x
    Sealed Pot Challenge member #982
    In 2012 I pledge to:- Save 1 a day, meal plan, be more organised, have NSDs, set myself a budget AND STICK TO IT, throw all loose change into Sealed Pot and not open it till 29th November.
    • Ridmeofdebt
    • By Ridmeofdebt 18th Apr 11, 7:58 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Ridmeofdebt
    • 18th Apr 11, 7:58 PM
    Thank you for you kind words.
    • 18th Apr 11, 7:58 PM
    Thank you for you kind words. A part of me feels that I should have used the money for something else. Why does trying to get rid of debt make me feel a bit sad at times. It is a comfort blanket that is hard to get out of. I need to find the strength not to go down that road again. It was all for good reasons but reading all the posts of this forum made me realise that I am not alone. Now the work needs to start on the mortgage. That's going to be a big challenge.
  • life in termoil
    • 19th Apr 11, 12:06 AM
    • 19th Apr 11, 12:06 AM
    Keep chipping away, you'll get there
    Sealed Pot Challenge member #982
    In 2012 I pledge to:- Save 1 a day, meal plan, be more organised, have NSDs, set myself a budget AND STICK TO IT, throw all loose change into Sealed Pot and not open it till 29th November.
  • redbull5
    • 19th Apr 11, 1:10 AM
    • 19th Apr 11, 1:10 AM
    well done, you have done great so far, keep going and itl get easier
    From England - Live in Edinburgh and work as a bus driver
    • Ridmeofdebt
    • By Ridmeofdebt 16th Apr 18, 9:33 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Ridmeofdebt
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:33 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:33 PM
    Wow just checked up on this post of mine. Wow that was 7 years ago.
    Since then I have 10 years left to pay on my mortgage and them boom I was made redundant so have taken a year off to retrain for another career, finish my MA and get my mojo back. Savings are dwindling and I need to find a job soon. I only have my mortgages left and have no other debts so I am really pleased with that. I only spend what I have and don't intend to go down the route of the kind of debt I had 7 years ago again. I could have put a dent into my mortgage with some of my redundancy money but thought it would be better to spend it on retraining, whilst still keeping some for savings. When I get another job I can start to overpay again.

Reading my original post has put a smile on my face.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,249Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin