Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scrivomcdivo
    • By scrivomcdivo 29th Nov 06, 6:29 PM
    • 132Posts
    • 5Thanks
    scrivomcdivo
    Are all solicitors useless and liers?
    • 29th Nov 06, 6:29 PM
    Are all solicitors useless and liers? 29th Nov 06 at 6:29 PM
    GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR - House is all going through, well kind of. My solicitor is saying that they haven't received a copy of the vendor's contract. However, I've just spoken to the vendor who said that she was informed that her contract was sent out over ten days ago................... It's really starting to annoy me now. We want to get into the house ASAP and the seller wants to get rid of it ASAP, however due to incompetent solicitors (who can't be bothered opening their mail), the process is all delayed
    Last edited by scrivomcdivo; 29-11-2006 at 7:17 PM.
Page 1
  • Robert Sterling
    • 29th Nov 06, 6:39 PM
    • 29th Nov 06, 6:39 PM
    Original message deleted.
    Last edited by Robert Sterling; 29-11-2006 at 11:05 PM. Reason: The O.P. deleted the potentially offending statement
    • scrivomcdivo
    • By scrivomcdivo 29th Nov 06, 6:44 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    scrivomcdivo
    • 29th Nov 06, 6:44 PM
    • 29th Nov 06, 6:44 PM
    Thanks Robert. I am not implying that all solicitors are liars, but obviously one of the two solicitors involved in the transaction is lying. One is saying they have sent the contract by recorded delivery and it has been signed for, yet our solicitor is saying that it has not been received.

I agree, there are decent solicitors out there. It would just appear I've chosen a poor one.
  • Robert Sterling
    • 29th Nov 06, 6:48 PM
    • 29th Nov 06, 6:48 PM
    Sometimes when asked a question we give an answer which is not correct.
    The fact that it is not correct may be because we are mistaken or it may be because we are lying.
  • Robert Sterling
    • 29th Nov 06, 6:52 PM
    • 29th Nov 06, 6:52 PM
    Read about Tim Tanner and the Portman Building Society
    • bristol_pilot
    • By bristol_pilot 29th Nov 06, 7:00 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 2,342 Thanks
    bristol_pilot
    • 29th Nov 06, 7:00 PM
    • 29th Nov 06, 7:00 PM
    My experience of solicitors is that they make so many mistakes that you have to check everything they do. They offer a poor quality of service that IMO no other profession would get away with. Mistakes rather than lies though, I think.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 29th Nov 06, 7:04 PM
    • 96,097 Posts
    • 63,906 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 29th Nov 06, 7:04 PM
    I am not implying that all solicitors are liars, but obviously one of the two solicitors involved in the transaction is lying.
    Probably neither is. In reality, neither solicitor would have posted or received the documents. The administrators in their office deal with things like that. Both solicitors may believe they are correct and are not likely to lie about it. Post also goes missing. I get incorrectly delivered mail in my post every week.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • mrsS
    have always found the firm I use to be very competant-they are one of the more expensive for conveyancing in my area though-I beleive you get what you pay for!

however-even if you have the best firm on the planet, if those further up or down the chain are useless it all becomes rather irrelevant.
  • lordexavier the 2nd
    • 29th Nov 06, 7:08 PM
    • 29th Nov 06, 7:08 PM
    My solicitor is a pain in the bum. Im purchasing a new build property and purchased it straight from the plan. 4 and Half months ago i instructed my solicitor to get the ball rolling. The house has been ready for 3 weeks now and it was only when i contacted her 2 weeks ago she started doing any enquiries in to the purchase. Arghhhhhhh!!!!!
    I was told i would be able to complete tomorrow but that has been pushed back again to Friday and only then as hopefully.
    I have a nice new home waiting for me, everyone else in the area has moved in and the builders seem to be using my house as their rest station. Its not fair.
    Watch out, you never know who is about.
    • scrivomcdivo
    • By scrivomcdivo 29th Nov 06, 7:17 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    scrivomcdivo
    I apologise if my original post has caused offence. I'm just frustrated though and was venting my anger as I want to be in this house so much........
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 29th Nov 06, 7:22 PM
    • 96,097 Posts
    • 63,906 Thanks
    dunstonh
    4 and Half months ago i instructed my solicitor to get the ball rolling. The house has been ready for 3 weeks now and it was only when i contacted her 2 weeks ago she started doing any enquiries in to the purchase. Arghhhhhhh!!!!!
    The solicitor may have been able to do a few things but many of the items are date specific and valid for limited periods.

I would have thought the sales office would have given you a date to work to and you would inform the solicitor of that date. If it was ready 3 weeks ago, what happened to the notification from the sales office? Why did you wait until a week later before updating the solicitor?

I dont want to sound like an apologist for solicitors but I work closely with one and what you find is most of the work is not done by the solicitors and that people assume too much of solicitors and assume they should know things without being told (i.e. completion dates).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • clairehi
    • By clairehi 29th Nov 06, 7:23 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    clairehi
    4 and Half months ago i instructed my solicitor to get the ball rolling. it was only when i contacted her 2 weeks ago she started doing any enquiries in to the purchase.
    by lordexavier the 2nd
    and the moral of the story is... you have to chase them, no news is probably bad news!

We went with the solicitor recommended by the sellers EA, and they were absolutely fine, they got everything done presto pronto. The solicitor himself did nothing except approve the work of his legal exec and secretary - they were probably a sight more eficient than he would have been. also, because they knew all the EAs in the chain (small town) and the other sols, it all went through smoothly.
  • babydino
    We went through the same situation with both sides saying they are waiting for each other and lost post. Felt like piggy in the middle sometimes. You just have to be persistent and keep calling your solicitor. We called them almost daily.
  • lordexavier the 2nd
    The solicitor may have been able to do a few things but many of the items are date specific and valid for limited periods.

I would have thought the sales office would have given you a date to work to and you would inform the solicitor of that date. If it was ready 3 weeks ago, what happened to the notification from the sales office? Why did you wait until a week later before updating the solicitor?

I dont want to sound like an apologist for solicitors but I work closely with one and what you find is most of the work is not done by the solicitors and that people assume too much of solicitors and assume they should know things without being told (i.e. completion dates).
    by dunstonh
    In hindsight thats what i would have done, I am a first time buyer and just assumed that everyone talked to each other and just informed me when things needed signing and paying etc.
    I dont really have any idea about how it all works, yes it was a bit naive of me to think that this would happen but hey, we live and learn.
    Watch out, you never know who is about.
  • clear_blu
    12th Oct 06 - First Offer Submitted
    12th Oct 06 - Offer Accepted
    13th Oct 06 - Finalisation Meeting with Mortgage Broker
    16th Oct 06 - Application Submitted to Nationwide
    17th Oct 06 - Application Processed Successfully. Surveyor Instructed
    18th Oct 06 - Solicitor Instructed
    23th Oct 06 - Surveyor Attended
    24th Oct 06 - Survey Report Back - Bow in the Building Front Wall
    01st Nov 06 - Agreement reached for work
    25th Nov 06 - Received Mortgage Offer
    26st Nov 06 - Awaiting Vendor's Solicitor to Sent Out Contract
    by scrivomcdivo
    I have had literally hundreds of dealings with solicitors over the years.
    The shortest time I have ever known from acceptance of offer to completion is 6 weeks, the average time I would guess is 8 to 10 weeks.
    This looks like your on course to me..........Be happy you haven't hit any icebergs............
    I have retired from a career in Financial Services........Thank God. Any advice given may be as a result of senile dementia so dont take it too seriously.......
    • MegS
    • By MegS 29th Nov 06, 9:07 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    MegS
    OP two things strike me about your post - one have you informed your solicitor the vendor reckons the contracts were sent ten days ago in which case your solicitor should contact the vendor's solicitors to say they haven't received it and two I have never (in ten years of working as a legal secretary) known a solicitor to send a contract by recorded delivery. In the majority of cases we use the DX system. Things do go missing, we've had a client not receive a passport sent by recorded delivery. The PO told us they can't track it until it has been received - go figure.
  • beanieandme
    A lot of them are pants, yes. Keep chasing.
    • scrivomcdivo
    • By scrivomcdivo 29th Nov 06, 9:53 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    scrivomcdivo
    OP two things strike me about your post - one have you informed your solicitor the vendor reckons the contracts were sent ten days ago in which case your solicitor should contact the vendor's solicitors to say they haven't received it and two I have never (in ten years of working as a legal secretary) known a solicitor to send a contract by recorded delivery. In the majority of cases we use the DX system. Things do go missing, we've had a client not receive a passport sent by recorded delivery. The PO told us they can't track it until it has been received - go figure.
    by MegS
    Megs, thanks for your reply. I did tell the solicitor that the vendor believes the contract has been sent. That telephone conversation was at 10am and so, it may be that the contract arrived later that day in the post. Also, it was the vendor who told me it had been sent by recorded delivery and so, I can only go on what I am told.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

594Posts Today

5,197Users online

Martin's Twitter