Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    vivw
    Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential
    • 12th Apr 11, 12:16 PM
    Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential 12th Apr 11 at 12:16 PM
    Over and over again we're bombarded with advertising - on the tv, in magazines and newspapers and even through our letter boxes. But are these vital to our existence? I think not. For example we don't need to buy bottled water - what is wrong with filling a water bottle from the tap? And all those different cleaners - how is limescale in the bathroom different to that in the kitchen?

What items that the advertisers try to get us to buy, can you do without?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 26-04-2011 at 8:40 PM.
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

Page 1
  • Lazy Liz
    • 12th Apr 11, 12:34 PM
    • 12th Apr 11, 12:34 PM
    Just off the top of my head, air-freshners, what is wrong with opening a window or cleaning up the area that pongs? Most of the solutions to remove smells from fabrics (you know the one) only work for a day or two, better to find a way to really clean the offending article.
    Oh and surface cleaners, I am not about to perform surgery in my kitchen so hot water and washing up liquid will be fine for most messes. Also all those germs they go on about, most of them are harmless!
    • Bean Counter
    • By Bean Counter 12th Apr 11, 12:39 PM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    Bean Counter
    • 12th Apr 11, 12:39 PM
    • 12th Apr 11, 12:39 PM
    Just off the top of my head, air-freshners, what is wrong with opening a window or cleaning up the area that pongs?
    Originally posted by Lazy Liz
    Air freshners was the first thing that came to mind for me too.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 12th Apr 11, 1:19 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    • 12th Apr 11, 1:19 PM
    • 12th Apr 11, 1:19 PM
    i agree with airfreshners, but also tumble dryer sheets, there really is no need, and colour catchers if you sort your washing properly

altho if you had tasted water out of my tap you would buy bottled water, it acually runs cloudy and still tastes horrible once filtered
    Last edited by quintwins; 12-04-2011 at 1:22 PM.
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
  • Ellie83
    • 12th Apr 11, 1:22 PM
    • 12th Apr 11, 1:22 PM
    The motion activated soap dispenser..... Yeah, it has germs on it, but the first thing you do after touching it is washing your hands... So what's the point? What is wrong with washing the bottle once in a while if you are afraid of germs?
    • Sassers
    • By Sassers 12th Apr 11, 1:40 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 8,113 Thanks
    Sassers
    • 12th Apr 11, 1:40 PM
    • 12th Apr 11, 1:40 PM
    For me its the `new' colour schemes that come out in home design magazines almost on a weekly basis. And the bl00dy nic-nacks, fabrics, rugs, candles, cushions etc that go with it! And the `from America' obsession with `dirt'....the one that really makes me laugh are the quilted, moist aloe vera-type of loo rolls....nothing wrong with good old value in my house!
    Current debt and mortgage: 26, 411 Debt/Mortgage at start: 92,598 (27/09/2010) Paid off so far: 66, 187
  • BitterAndTwisted
    • 12th Apr 11, 1:42 PM
    • 12th Apr 11, 1:42 PM
    All this germ-fear advertisers stir up makes me quite cross. We don't need antibacterial hand-soap just like we don't need anti-bac wipes for the kitchen. Good old common-or-garden soap and hot water will kill most of the germs we want to get rid of. If we're worried about things being completely unsanitary a bit of diluted disinfectant on a clean cloth would be about twenty times cheaper. Some of these advertisers must think we're all morons.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 12th Apr 11, 1:46 PM
    • 5,740 Posts
    • 7,879 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 12th Apr 11, 1:46 PM
    • 12th Apr 11, 1:46 PM
    Over and over again we're bombarded with advertising - on the tv, in magazines and newspapers and even through our letter boxes. But are these vital to our existence? I think not. For example we don't need to buy bottled water - what is wrong with filling a water bottle from the tap? And all those different cleaners - how is limescale in the bathroom different to that in the kitchen?

What items that the advertisers try to get us to buy, can you do without?
    Originally posted by vivw

O the irony. Could you not do without a tv, magazine or newspaper? and thus eliminate most of the advertising you wish not to recieve?!
    Don't be angry!
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 12th Apr 11, 1:47 PM
    • 5,740 Posts
    • 7,879 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 12th Apr 11, 1:47 PM
    • 12th Apr 11, 1:47 PM
    ill let you off with the letterbox you probably do need one of them though it is normally pretty obvious which are important and which arent.
    Don't be angry!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    The one that really makes me laugh are the quilted, moist aloe vera-type of loo rolls....nothing wrong with good old value in my house!
    Originally posted by Sassers

You are a person after my own heart: I cannot conceive of why some folk pay upwards of fifty pence a roll for printed, scented and embossed three-ply paper just for the lav.

Not sure if it's an advertiser's con or just a personal preference but I buy the cheapest I can get my hands on. It's in use for, oh, about thirty seconds at most and then chucked away so I don't want to pay much for it at all and don't understand why other people do. Must be a blind-spot.
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 12th Apr 11, 2:00 PM
    • 4,429 Posts
    • 16,462 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    yeah alot of those cleaning ads get my goat. A few ads recently seem to imply you are a bad mum unless you use a particular product. I remember one where the child was sad in a fleece washed in ordinary powder/conditioner, but happy and smilely in the fleece that was oh so soft from comfort (or simular). plus those scaremongering ads about germs everywhere lol.

Just the general atitude portrayed in most ads now. That you must have the best now, treat yourself, treat the kids etc.

What about the ads by pampers that imply unless you use their nappies you will effect your childs development as they "need golden sleep" to help their brains. Come on!

These ads pander to the whole idea that everything is about aquiring "stuff" and growing consumption, all so wrong.

Also we live in a soft water area, I have never seen limescale in any kettle ever, so why do we still get calgon ads?

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Make up to 10 a day-November 610.22/750

Make up to 10 a day-December 73.84/620
    • lauren_1
    • By lauren_1 12th Apr 11, 2:04 PM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    lauren_1
    Any sort of 'kitchen/batroom cleaner' i use a spray bottle filled with disinfectant and plain water. And occasionally use a bit of bleach. That it!

Costs me about 50p a month.
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 12th Apr 11, 2:07 PM
    • 4,429 Posts
    • 16,462 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    Or things like cake mixes or other packet stuff tht again implies to be a good parent you bake/cook for the kids with their product, when actually it would be cheaper and tastier to make stuff from scratch never mind all the rubbish the processed stuff is packed with.

ali x

• ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 12th Apr 11, 2:11 PM
    • 4,429 Posts
    • 16,462 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    Plus those follow on milk ads that go on about iron content in milk, thats like taking about protein content in celery!

The point is a child over 1 should have a wide range of food including veggies/meat for iron so cows milk is fine. mind you to be honest I breast fed mine all over 12 months 2 of them to 2 and 3 respectively so all those ads annoy me even more.

ali x

• Ellie83
    All this germ-fear advertisers stir up makes me quite cross. We don't need antibacterial hand-soap just like we don't need anti-bac wipes for the kitchen. Good old common-or-garden soap and hot water will kill most of the germs we want to get rid of. If we're worried about things being completely unsanitary a bit of diluted disinfectant on a clean cloth would be about twenty times cheaper. Some of these advertisers must think we're all morons.
    Originally posted by BitterAndTwisted
    We are not surgeons
    • Lucy Lastic
    • By Lucy Lastic 12th Apr 11, 2:22 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    Lucy Lastic
    The motion activated soap dispenser..... Yeah, it has germs on it, but the first thing you do after touching it is washing your hands... So what's the point? What is wrong with washing the bottle once in a while if you are afraid of germs?
    Originally posted by Ellie83
    I could not agree more - a friend of mine was actually thinking of buying this item (because of the grandchildren!??) until I pointed out that you wash your hands after touching it, and we have all survived the soap dispensers in public toilets for all these years. In my opinion there are too many "anti bacterial" products - how do our kids build up an immune system?
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Can I just have a rant about over-scented laundry products? Especially those which are advertised as releasing some sort of a miasma when they're touched? I can't think of anything more revolting and don't like being around other people who use them.
    • UnluckyT
    • By UnluckyT 12th Apr 11, 2:26 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 1,317 Thanks
    UnluckyT
    has to be air freshener for me, plus the 'deoderising' sprays for furniture.
    i try to stick to the basic sort of things i can use if i can. more often soap/ washing up liquid and water, non bio powder, soda crystals plus perhaps a loo gel and multi use cleaner and a splosh of bleach?
    makes me wonder then how the victorians and other generations managed pardon me saying without all the different things that are on the market now?
    Last edited by UnluckyT; 12-04-2011 at 2:30 PM.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 12th Apr 11, 2:27 PM
    • 5,740 Posts
    • 7,879 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Can I just have a rant about over-scented laundry products? Especially those which are advertised as releasing some sort of a miasma when they're touched? I can't think of anything more revolting and don't like being around other people who use them.
    Originally posted by BitterAndTwisted

yeh but your just bitterandtwisted........

Yeh u like that one... all by myself!!
    Don't be angry!
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 12th Apr 11, 2:28 PM
    • 5,740 Posts
    • 7,879 Thanks
    spadoosh
    has to be air freshener for me, plus the 'deoderising' sprays.
    makes me woner then how the victorians and other generations managed pardon me saying without all the different things that are on the market now?
    Originally posted by UnluckyT

They didnt... there all dead!
    Don't be angry!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,520Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin